Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

robboadam wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Wow there are some nutty comments here about the GB being at the end.

Plainly Sam Mendes, Stuart Baird (the great and supreme editor), and the producers, all felt that the GB worked better at the end than at the start. This was an artistic decision, and it seems, from Mendes comments reported back from the premiere, that it was his original intention to start the film with the GB but he, and his team, felt that it didn't sit well with the film's opening shot. This is a perfectly reasonable explanation, and I strongly suspect (having not seen the film yet - IMAX tomorrow at 3pm - with a DOP mate of mine) that Mendes made the right choice. The man knows what he's doing.

So, really, just accept the fact. It's done, and the GB was moved to the end for, what appears to be, a very good "artistic" reason.

Good evening, Mr. Common Sense. I've been waiting for you....;)

Can someone just answer me this simple question then - why did Cubby put the GB as the opening shot for 33 years?

Because that's where he, as the producer, wanted it. I don't think he did it just because that's what the fans wanted. However, Barbara is not her father so she should be entititled to another opinion.

I'm sure it was Maurice Binders idea to stick it in at the beginning as part of the Dr.No titles.

Everyone liked it so much it returned for the next film and so on.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Those titles, weren't they something "unseen" those days?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    marymoss wrote:

However, Barbara is not her father so she should be entititled to another opinion.

Wll, that's a relief, or sort off... :D =))
    Gunbarrel is at the end. Saw it yesterday. Best Bond in years.
    robboadam wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Wow there are some nutty comments here about the GB being at the end.

Plainly Sam Mendes, Stuart Baird (the great and supreme editor), and the producers, all felt that the GB worked better at the end than at the start. This was an artistic decision, and it seems, from Mendes comments reported back from the premiere, that it was his original intention to start the film with the GB but he, and his team, felt that it didn't sit well with the film's opening shot. This is a perfectly reasonable explanation, and I strongly suspect (having not seen the film yet - IMAX tomorrow at 3pm - with a DOP mate of mine) that Mendes made the right choice. The man knows what he's doing.

So, really, just accept the fact. It's done, and the GB was moved to the end for, what appears to be, a very good "artistic" reason.

Good evening, Mr. Common Sense. I've been waiting for you....;)

Can someone just answer me this simple question then - why did Cubby put the GB as the opening shot for 33 years?

Well the GB was originally added, as many here know, by editor Peter Hunt at the start of FRWL because he felt the opening needed a stronger punch to it. He used the GB from DN and spliced it in, as they did with GF. (Hence the direct CUT from the white DOT to the opening shots in those 2 films.)

But the GB wasn't always an easy fit. I remember on LTK; the end of the GB, when the white dot opens to reveal the scene, wasn't working well at all, and we had to keep re-jigging where the dot opened and the speed of it so that, eventually, it opened to catch the radar plane flying over the Florida Keys. But, as I say, it wasn't a perfect transition at all, and I still don't think it's that great. I suspect today, they may have in fact dropped the GB from the start to make the opening shot better, but back then things were more conservative in terms of the titles (remember they also toyed with replacing Binder and going in a new direction, but in the end they returned to trusted formula for the titles).

So to answer your question, I think up until CR the producers have been rather "nervous" of changing or re-working "iconic" images like the GB --- but we now live in a post CR Bond world.

• gun barrel at end works perfectly. cannot beleive i said that. I joins in to 50th anniversary. just perfect.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Do you this walk and shoot will be reused for the future films @Gareth00789?
  • tqbtqb
    gun barrel at end works perfectly. cannot beleive i said that. I joins in to 50th anniversary. just perfect.

after all that fuss?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    gun barrel at end works perfectly. cannot beleive i said that. I joins in to 50th anniversary. just perfect.

You are now a believer!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,015
    fanbond123 wrote:
    I think she's embarrassed sticking the barrel at the front because it reminds people of her father's films. I reckon that's the real reason. She's using every tactic to distance the Craig era - which is her era - from her father's films.
    Cubby put blaxpoitation in 007 when it was the time of blaxpoitation. He put laser-guns in 007 when it was the time of laser-guns. He put karate when it was the time of karate. Etc, etc...

Now we'rein the time of reboots, and of "serious" action movies. I think Barbara's actually continuing her father's method far more than distancing her from it ! And if Avengers Assemble means we're back to fun blockbusters in the next years, then I expect a funnier 007 next time :)

Well Christ, if Gareth can accept it after dozens of posts of complaining I don't think anyone should have a problem with it. :-)

Ugh, 2 weeks to go!
  • Does anyone know where I can find this leaked instagram photo of the GB? Discreetly of course. Also I think the actual stance of Craig has leaked has it not, in an advert for Adele's theme song. Where is that video, it seems to be lost in one of these threads.
  • tqbtqb
    Does anyone know where I can find this leaked instagram photo of the GB? Discreetly of course. Also I think the actual stance of Craig has leaked has it not, in an advert for Adele's theme song. Where is that video, it seems to be lost in one of these threads.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/skyfall gunbarrel/T2006/tumblr_mb2zh0Yclg1qc2maxo1_1280.jpg
    "According to Sam Mendes, he always intended to include the Gunbarrel at the start, but when he saw Roger Deakins opening shot, he decided that he couldn't open with the gunbarrel and make that shot, which he wanted to keep as it was so beautiful actually work and opening into an establishing shot of the Istanbul skyline and then going to that shot was too old fashioned, hence the reason this time to keep it the same as Marc Foster."

Don't believe it for a second. You telling me they didn't put the gun barrel at the start of Skyfall because there was one nice shot they preferred to start the film? What nonsense. And why does a shot take precedence over the classic gun barrel opening? They've got their priorities all wrong.

No i agree with Mendes judgement, it just works better without it, and it still works as a lead into the titles.
  • Has a video of the GB leaked yet?
    My first reaction was disappointment with the lack of opening GB but thinking back I do now believe it would not have worked with the opening shot. Works well at the end with the James Bond Will Return line and the 50th Anniversary image.
  • OwenDavian wrote:
    Has a video of the GB leaked yet?

No, but pictures have. Not a fan of the new design actually but it's not a big deal.
  • Where are they?
  • Worked very well at the end with the Bond theme, but i thought the look of the gunbarrel was worse than QoS - design and pose. Shame.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    I thought the pose was cool, les forced than the Quantum one. I do suspect Craig to either film a third one, or using the Quantum one for the next bond movies as I think the silver/grey attire was just for the 50 years-bit.
  • Just back from back to back viewings dont want to spoil it but postion of gb works based on plot and i loved the opening moment,
  • OwenDavian wrote:
    Where are they?
    If you search around on instagram you'll find them
  • I though the bullet was clever, it took me buy surprise ,I loved it ,for the 50yr let's hope for better !!!!!! Fan sense Dr No !!!
    edited October 2012 Posts: 858
    bad quality pic:
    be5de8a41f8f11e2ac3022000a1fb72c_7.jpg
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 401
    MartinBond wrote:
    bad quality pic:
    The gunbarrel looks like it's made out of a car seat. Seriously though, I'm just glad it's included in the film.

• tqbtqb
    It's a pretty bad quality pic
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    MartinBond wrote:
    bad quality pic:
    The gunbarrel looks like it's made out of a car seat. Seriously though, I'm just glad it's included in the film.

LOL! I did think it was quite "leathery" looking when I saw it at the cinema!!
    edited October 2012 Posts: 858
    kicking it up to this page:
    Looking at it now, I think it's a very relaxed pose, very cool. The nonchalant hand, the legs a bit apart... I approve.