Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Unless the opening shot is that good

It is.

Is it really? Its not as good IMO as a classic gunbarrel with the original DN Bond theme at full blast over the top of it.

Nothing can beat a gunbarrel but I can understand the logic in this case. I'm sure Baird cut it various ways before they settled on this. It's a great shot.
    so there is still hope that they might move it back to the begining of bond 24
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    mnhettia wrote:

From the last 5 minutes you can categorically state that the next film will be business as usual.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    mnhettia wrote:

From the last 5 minutes you can categorically state that the next film will be business as usual.

I was hoping for buisness as usual from SF. Ah well, should still be a great film.
    mnhettia wrote:

I was hoping for buisness as usual from SF. Ah well, should still be a great film.

Well quite. But the very last scene makes you forgive everything as we are fully rebooted and ready for DC's Bond to go on, dare I say, a bit of a Roger style romp.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @TheWizardOfIce I think that's a good idea.

I'd love for Bond 24 to be a bit of a TSWLM or TB. Great, fun, classic film with all the iconic Bond stuff, but not too cheesey on an MR level.

And Edgar Wright would be the perfect director for it. Then Mendes can come back for Bond 25 and can end the Craig era with another SF type film. Everybodys happy :-bd

I'm glad they're finally done with the reboot. It took 3 films but we got there.
  • Edgar Wright is directing Ant Man for late 2015 release
    Edgar Wright is directing Ant Man for late 2015 release

And hes nowhere near up to the job either. The bar has been set pretty high and Bond 24 needs to be helmed by someone of a higher calibre than that. Boyles name being bandied about will suit me. I think Nolan is a non starter as SF would be the kind of film he would have been interested in. The way its been set up the next film will be a pretty standard one with traditional elements such as gunbarrel at the start, short scene with M to give him the mission and thats all, Q scene, ending up with the girl. I cant see Nolan wanting to do that. Matthew Vaughn another name that springs to mind - and probably pally with DC after Layer Cake so would hardly be a shock. Could see him delivering a classic over the top style one and then Mendes back for perhaps a Blofeld reboot - although much as I would love to see what DC and Mendes could do with it I dont think I want to see a new Tracy because then we are just getting into the realm of remakes which would be a dangerous path to tread.

The crucial thing is to get cracking on the script now so pre production can be well underway in a years time. We need to get back to the 2 yearly cycle if only so that DC will still be young enough to be tempted to do a 6th. These 4 year gaps mean an actor can only do 3 or 4 and then hes too old.

Another thing to worry about is that MGW will probably have to knock it on the head around the same time DC does and I'm not convinced Gregg Wilson is the man to launch a new Bond, especially as by then DC will probably be heralded as the best Bond ever. It will be a tough gig to follow and is the bloke who oversaw GE Reloaded and 007 Legends really the man you want on the job? I suppose Babs has got a good 20 years left in her to get him up to speed.
  • From the last 5 minutes you can categorically state that the next film will be business as usual.

Sorry, but the same was said after QoS.
  • RC7RC7
    Fitzochris wrote:

Sorry, but the same was said after QoS.

This time it will be.
    There is nowhere left to go. All the pieces are in place, so to speak.

Yeah, and as has been said QOS was not supposed to have the gunbarrel at all, but it was placed at the producers' insistence.
  • Edgar Wright is directing Ant Man for late 2015 release

And hes nowhere near up to the job either. The bar has been set pretty high and Bond 24 needs to be helmed by someone of a higher calibre than that.

What's wrong with him? They're going to struggle to get an Oscar nominated director every film, and he's not too big a name but not another arty director nobody has heard of. He can do action and comedy. I think he'd be perfect if they were going for a TB/TSWLM type film.

I googled Ant Man and it was announced years ago. Doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Even if he does that he could still do Bond 24 couldn't he? If not then he could do a Bond film after.

Boyle and Wright are my choices.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 553
    Ant Man was formally announced by Marvel last week...it is happening late 2015

Edit: [url] http://collider.com/ant-man-release-date/203130/ [/url]
  • Of course, re: the gunbarrel....
    You could do it like From Russia With Love or Goldfinger. Bond shoots. Gunbarrel becomes a dot again. Dot gets smaller. Screen goes black. Cut to Roger Deakins's opening shot. You have the gunbarrel and the shot.
  • Ant Man was formally announced by Marvel last week...it is happening late 2015

Edit: [url] http://collider.com/ant-man-release-date/203130/ [/url]

Crap. Wright for Bond 26 then?
  • Maybe so. I'd be fine with that. Before he gets to Ant Man he is finishing the Cornetto trilogy: The World's End is out next year first. I suspect he may end up a go-to guy for Marvel after that if Ant Man works out.
  • Before he gets to Ant Man he is finishing the Cornetto trilogy: The World's End is out next year first.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Can't wait, it's been too long since we got a Pegg/Frost/Wright film.
    The thing with having the gun barrel at the start, is that when the MGM and Columbia logos come up, there's quite and tense music playing behind it, building up this tension. With a gun barrel, it immediately takes the tension away, and you have to start to build that up again. I know us fans wanted it, but artistically it actually works better without it, or at least with the gun barrel at the end instead.
  • robboadam wrote:
    The thing with having the gun barrel at the start, is that when the MGM and Columbia logos come up, there's quite and tense music playing behind it, building up this tension. With a gun barrel, it immediately takes the tension away, and you have to start to build that up again. I know us fans wanted it, but artistically it actually works better without it, or at least with the gun barrel at the end instead.
    Exactly! I'm glad someone else sees it this way too.
  • robboadam wrote:
    The thing with having the gun barrel at the start, is that when the MGM and Columbia logos come up, there's quite and tense music playing behind it, building up this tension.

There was for QOS. There isn't always.
    robboadam wrote:
    The thing with having the gun barrel at the start, is that when the MGM and Columbia logos come up, there's quite and tense music playing behind it, building up this tension.

I'm sure I remember one in Skyfall as well.

• robboadam wrote:
    robboadam wrote:

I'm sure I remember one in Skyfall as well.

Well I haven't seen it yet so I don't know. But in past films, they never had tense music over the logos before, and the gunbarrel just works better at the start imo. It's a cool opening sequence.
  • Of course, re: the gunbarrel....
    You could do it like From Russia With Love or Goldfinger. Bond shoots. Gunbarrel becomes a dot again. Dot gets smaller. Screen goes black. Cut to Roger Deakins's opening shot. You have the gunbarrel and the shot.

Exactly.
    robboadam wrote:

Utterly nonsensical. The music is only there because there is no gunbarrel. Or are you saying Mendes also didn't have the heart to cut Newmans tense music along with the opening shot? Is he the director or the tea boy?

For all everyone is going on about this amazing opening shot all I can remember is Bond stood in a corridor. Maybe on subsequent viewings I will appreciate that it is a nice shot but I'm afraid at the time I was too pissed off there was no gunbarrel to notice so Mendes decision had the exact opposite effect for me.
  • robboadam wrote:

Utterly nonsensical. The music is only there because there is no gunbarrel. Or are you saying Mendes also didn't have the heart to cut Newmans tense music along with the opening shot? Is he the director or the tea boy?

For all everyone is going on about this amazing opening shot all I can remember is Bond stood in a corridor. Maybe on subsequent viewings I will appreciate that it is a nice shot but I'm afraid at the time I was too pissed off there was no gunbarrel to notice so Mendes decision had the exact opposite effect for me.
    I personally don't see the gunbarrel as such an integral part of the film and wouldn't be all that upset if it wasn't even in the film at all. For me there are many many other things that identify a movie as a Bond movie and the gunbarrel isn't particularly high on that list. I think the gunbarrel has had a tendency to remove the tension and I find it no coincidence that my favorite openings to the Bond films are the ones without the gunbarrel in front.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If I'm going to be honest, during and after watching the movie come to an end, I actually forgot all about the gun barrel. When the last scene faded out I was ready to get up and leave, completely satisfied with what I just saw.
    For those that have not seen the movie yet, I caution you to not get too worked up about the gun barrel. The start of the movie imo is great. Just sit back and enjoy the movie.
    robboadam wrote:

I personally don't see the gunbarrel as such an integral part of the film and wouldn't be all that upset if it wasn't even in the film at all. For me there are many many other things that identify a movie as a Bond movie and the gunbarrel isn't particularly high on that list. I think the gunbarrel has had a tendency to remove the tension and I find it no coincidence that my favorite openings to the Bond films are the ones without the gunbarrel in front.

David Arnold is spot on on this point - the gunbarrel gets you excited that you are not watching just any old film you are watching a Bond film and for that 10 seconds anything is possible. Other films can open with tense music and nice camera angles but Bond has this wonderful trademark and it seems stupid not to use it especially for the 50th. Youre not telling me Bourne wouldnt die to have something like the gunbarrel to get the audience in the mood?

Anyway I can forgive this time as the final scene where everything is so nicely set up means it surely will be up front next time.
    But there simply is no excuse for it not to be where it should be in Bond 24.
  • mnhettia wrote:

Well quite. But the very last scene makes you forgive everything as we are fully rebooted and ready for DC's Bond to go on, dare I say, a bit of a Roger style romp.

What he hasn't found himself in this movie? Seriously? So the next actor to take this part will have to do 3 or more films and be 65 years old before he can start acting like Bond

:))
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1
    On Skyfall OST the song Breadcrumbs is James Bond Theme. Sounds a little bit Moore-themed. Hope it's in the gunbarrel.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,661
    Barbara Broccoli on Skyfall's gun barrel:

"The gun barrel is at the end of the movie again. Is that the way it’s going to be from now on?

BARBARA: It will vary from film to film. In this film there wasn’t really a place to put it at the beginning. I know that sounds kind of funny, but we looked at putting it at the beginning and we discussed it with Sam, and we just felt it was better suited for this particular film at the end. We also thought it would be a nice way to mark the fiftieth anniversary, by having our 50th anniversary logo up there, just to mark this extraordinary event of fifty years.

So it’s not necessarily going to be at the end in all future Bond films?

BARBARA: No."

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2012/10/24/the-heyuguys-interview-skyfall-michael-g-wilson-barbara-broccolli/

Personally I think this is a dumb decision (irrespective of it marking 50 years of the franchise). The gun barrel scene was designed for the start of the films, not the end. I don't think Cubby Broccoli would have approved of this 'change'.

BARBARA: "It will vary from film to film."

Changing it from the end then back to the beginning for future films makes it seem too messy and inconsistent. They should have left it at the beginning for all the films. Once you start mucking about with it you lose any consistency and it becomes a silly gimmick: "hey, let's stick it at the end! No, let's try the middle!" Whatever. I can imagine Babs and MG thinking about where to stick it in some clueless kind of way. Perhaps they chose the end at random? :P

Just my opinion - the producers have their own opinion and they're in charge. But it doesn't mean fans have to respect their 'change'. This is a classic example of changing something that doesn't need changing.