Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I don't care where the GB is placed, if the movie is as good as the reviews suggest, I am happy with it. :)>-
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Have no problem with the placement of the gunbarrel, it worked rather well considering the final scene. But the design and Craig's pose were all wrong.
  • I thought the gunbarrel was one of the few bad things in the film.

Design was basically the same as the QOS one, it's still too quick but it's an improvement with the walk and pose.

Should've been at the start. It was a nice opening shot but they shouldn't have sacrificed the gunbarrel for it. Somebody suggested having the dot shrink like in the early 60s films, I think that's a great idea and would've worked perfectly.

It does make sense with the ending I suppose, but I'd have preferred it at the start.

It's managed to make the QOS one even worse. Before, it had the whole "it was the end of the Bond Begins arc" excuse, now it doesn't even have that!
  • Very awkward.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 406
    Hard to believe that the wonderful opening shot that would have been spoiled by the gunbarrel wasn't that wonderful. Half the audience were on their feet when the gunbarrel happened, which rather annoyed me, just doesn't seem right at the end of a bond film

Put it at the start of the next one with the proper music where you know it belongs MGW and Babs
  • i am glad this one was at the end now. after me going on for ages lol. Its because how it was shot and i also wasnt agreat fan of the new barrel, but its still classy.
  • Think of it this way...you're watching the first 15 seconds of Bond 24.
  • hope so. I dont know if i liked the ejector seat joke though. seems a bit odd having an ejector seat, even though it wasnt used.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    So what happens or happened with the 1 minute from QOS?
    Gareth, please use spoiler tags for plot points unrelated to this topic.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 6,677
    So what happens or happened with the 1 minute from QOS?
    It followed CR´s ending, didn´t it? Then, the gunbarrel from QOS opened SF and this one opens ...

Kidding of course.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    or, thought i didnt as spoiler was in the heading ? ok then soz it feels a bit messed up with gun barrel ending and quantum ending it. thats why i wanted barrel at start, but it makes perfect sence when you see the opening shot of skyfall
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don't think the GB is such a big deal to be fair. Provided the rest of the film is excellent and the GB gets to be seen one way or another, I'm a satisfied Bond fan. Differently put: it doesn't shake my world upside down and inside out when the GB is 'misplaced'. In fact, I've grown accustomed to these playful variations. Before CR, they toyed around with some minor details like surprising additions, different poses or unexpected musical moves. It was never the end of the world. And since CR they seem keen on trying out various permutations in terms of where to put it in the film. Let's just say it keeps things fresh and it leaves us wanting more. ;-)
    Having now seen Skyfall in IMAX yesterday, I can see exactly why the GB didn't fit well with the brilliant opening shot. They made the right decision to move it to the end.

As for the film - I loved every frame of it; it's fantastic and Craig gives a superb performance. As does the entire cast.
  • The Gunbarrel should be at the start.

While I understand it being at the end of QOS it really deserved to be at the beginning of SF. For Babarra to say they couldn't make it fit at the beginning is cr*p. it felt rushed using it at the end and the 50th anniversary logo was out of place, this should have been at the end of the credits
    RyanKint wrote:
    The Gunbarrel should be at the start.

While I understand it being at the end of QOS it really deserved to be at the beginning of SF. For Babarra to say they couldn't make it fit at the beginning is cr*p. it felt rushed using it at the end and the 50th anniversary logo was out of place, this should have been at the end of the credits

When u see the film you'll see why it plainly didn't work having the GB at the start.

It would be utterly crazy for the filmmakers to simply keep the GB at the start to satisfy a few fans if they knew that it wasn't working well. Remember the director and his editor would have tried many ways to make the GB work with the opening shot, but clearly it just wasn't working. Simple as that. End of story.

See the film, and you'll know why the GB was not sitting well with the brilliant opening reveal of Bond.

• ColonelSun wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

When u see the film you'll see why it plainly didn't work having the GB at the start.

It would be utterly crazy for the filmmakers to simply keep the GB at the start to satisfy a few fans if they knew that it wasn't working well. Remember the director and his editor would have tried many ways to make the GB work with the opening shot, but clearly it just wasn't working. Simple as that. End of story.

See the film, and you'll know why the GB was not sitting well with the brilliant opening reveal of Bond.

Firstly I watched it yesterday

Secondly the GB worked for 16 films prior so all of a sudden you can't make it work for this film??

Bond appears in a dark hallway, so you could have easily had a subtle GB music with the small white dot e.g FRWL/GF then picking up bond in the hallway.
    RyanKint wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

Secondly the GB worked for 16 films prior so all of a sudden you can't make it work for this film??

Bond appears in a dark hallway, so you could have easily had a subtle GB music with the small white dot e.g FRWL/GF then picking up bond in the hallway.

It obviously it didn't work well or else they would have left the GB at the beginning; simple as that.

Read back on my earlier post when I worked on LTK and I explain that even back then we struggled to create a good transition between the GB and the opening shot; and none of team was particularly satisfied with the final result.

The problem on LTK was having to get the WHITE DOT to move back, whilst still making it appear as a fluid move, to almost centre screen to keep the radar plane in the middle of the DOT as it opened up. It looks like they had a similar problem on Skyfall because Bond's out of focus figure is also centre screen, so the transition would have been an almost direct visual mix between Bond in GB with the blood, mixing to the moving WHITE DOT moving back to Bond, out of focus, centre screen. And obviously it just wasn't proving to be a transition that satisfied Sam Mendes, Stuart Baird or the producers.

• It was there at the end which was good in my opinion and quite right. With all the "classic" Bond movie elements introduced during Skyfall it was the correct place for it. With these back, edging closer to a classic I think we'll see Bond 24 with a gun barrel in its rightful place.

Not sure if I get my point across too well here, not great with the words, but hope you see that I'm getting at......
  • ColonelSun wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

It obviously it didn't work well or else they would have left the GB at the beginning; simple as that.

Read back on my earlier post when I worked on LTK and I explain that even back then we struggled to create a good transition between the GB and the opening shot; and none of team was particularly satisfied with the final result.

The problem on LTK was having to get the WHITE DOT to move back, whilst still making it appear as a fluid move, to almost centre screen to keep the radar plane in the middle of the DOT as it opened up. It looks like they had a similar problem on Skyfall because Bond's out of focus figure is also centre screen, so the transition would have been an almost direct visual mix between Bond in GB with the blood, mixing to the moving WHITE DOT moving back to Bond, out of focus, centre screen. And obviously it just wasn't proving to be a transition that satisfied Sam Mendes, Stuart Baird or the producers.

You ignore the point about the white dot shrinking to black before the opening shot. And LTK? What about all the films before and since where it has worked just fine? AVTAK opens in a similar fashion to LTK, in that an airborne vehicle is the focus.

I actually think, having seen the film now, that all this opening shot stuff is guff. I reckon the gunbarrel was always intended to be at the end to fit in with what happens.

As long as Bond 24 starts with it, that's fine. There really, really is no excuse not to now.

We've had our Batman Begins Bond (CR), we've had our Borne Bond (qoS) and we've had our Dark Knight Rises Bond (SF). Finally, we should get our Bond Bond for number 24.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:
    RyanKint wrote:

You ignore the point about the white dot shrinking to black before the opening shot. And LTK? What about all the films before and since where it has worked just fine? AVTAK opens in a similar fashion to LTK, in that an airborne vehicle is the focus.

I actually think, having seen the film now, that all this opening shot stuff is guff. I reckon the gunbarrel was always intended to be at the end to fit in with what happens..

The DOT went to black in FRWL and GF because it was a direct cut to the opening scenes, the GB from DN was spliced onto FRWL and GF.

Since TB (when they re-shot the GB) the DOT has opened out to reveal the opening shot. The LTK GB transition was a bit of a problem, the positioning of the moving plane and the timing of the transition to make it as smooth as possible took some fiddling with. The AVTAK copter sweeps into shot, moving directly away from camera, and was obviously an easier transition.

Having seen Skyfall's superb opening shot I can see (having also directed and designed, in the past, some title sequences myself for HBO/BBC and feature films) the problem Mendes and Stuart Baird had with the Skyfall GB transition.

Mendes is not talking "guff" when he explains the decision to move the GB. Why on earth would he "make up" a story?
  • To appease disgruntled fans that he had no choice but to put it at the end. When, in fact, he did.
  • i understand why he put it at the end, but then i keep thinking, would it realy distract the opening. GB is seperate anyway.
  • I get the distinct feeling that they want to drop the GB. This one was so rushed and they didn't even use it properly with the JB Theme as the theme was already playing in M's office.

I keep hearing the "technical" argument but surly if they intended to re-use the GB then why not storyboard/shoot the opening shot to fit around the GB and not vice versa as an afterthought?

If they can have the elaborate plot to re-introduce "Moneypenny" which TBH is a part i haven't actually missed as Sam Bond/ Brosnan made the role so cringeworthy then having the GB back at the start isn't such a stretch is it?
  • pjtpjt
    RyanKint wrote:
    I get the distinct feeling that they want to drop the GB. This one was so rushed and they didn't even use it properly with the JB Theme as the theme was already playing in M's office.

I keep hearing the "technical" argument but surly if they intended to re-use the GB then why not storyboard/shoot the opening shot to fit around the GB and not vice versa as an afterthought?

If they can have the elaborate plot to re-introduce "Moneypenny" which TBH is a part i haven't actually missed as Sam Bond/ Brosnan made the role so cringeworthy then having the GB back at the start isn't such a stretch is it?

Because that opening became something else, they haven't planned also weren't going to just drop it for the sake of the GB. Do I miss it? Yes. Will I have sleepless nights because of it? Sincerely doubt it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Call me thick but when storyboarding the opening of the film dosent anyone give a thought as to how the GB will fit into that?

Either the GB was put in at the end for arristic reasons to signify that all the traditional elements are now in place and it's business as usual or because they couldn't work out how to do it at the start bit that's just incompetent planning as the GB IS the opening shot if you ask me. To say 'we just stuck it on the end because it wasn't working' makes you look stupid it seems like you've only considered the GB 10 seconds before the curtain goes up - and judging by the design that sounds about right.
    I feel sorry for DC - possibly the best Bond ever and yet he still hasn't had a proper GB.
    Without saying where the GB is? The actual GB itself was much better than the QOS version. But i like the CR more just because of how original it was.
  • A bunch of nerds on a forum think they know how to craft a film better than Sam Mendes and Roger Deakins. Hilarious.
    a bunch of nerds has expectations and the right to judge a film, since it was not given the opportunity to direct the movie.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    A bunch of nerds on a forum think they know how to craft a film better than Sam Mendes and Roger Deakins. Hilarious.

If knowing where to put a gunbarrel means I think I can craft a better film then fine.