Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

• I'd rather have the gunbarrel at the end as in Skyfall than no gunbarrel at all.
    If you complain about the placing of the gunbarrel in Skyfall, then you haven't seen the film. In relation to the final scene, the placing is PERFECT.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Look, the gunbarrel in Skyfall was awful. Rushed, horrible design, out of sync with the Bond theme tune and at the bloody end. A real mess. The film itself was awesome. Just put it back at the start of Bond 24, make it look and sound right, and we'll all be happy!

That pretty much sums it up. Well said Sir.
    Shardlake wrote:
    DAD had a GB but did that make it a better Bond film? well only for a moron maybe.

And FRWL and OHMSS had the GB at the beginning too- whats your point exactly?

Try and compose a coherent argument first before you start bandying the word 'moron' about.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,661
    This version - at 47 seconds onwards - is great!!!!!!!!

And I will stick it to the version of SF - when it comes out on DVD/Bluray.

At least in the modern digital era it's comparatively easy and cheap to edit video files. And that clip is in 720p so it will fit well with the HD Blu-ray version. There won't be any noticeable difference in picture quality.

I love that gun barrel scene and the music. That should have been used at the beginning. :) It's so frustrating to mess with the gun barrel. Ergh. Okay, if you want to redesign the gb then fair enough, that is a new version set inside a cinema but it's still capturing the essence of the classic Maurice Binder version.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Is there a possibility to have an ignore list for some annoying users who actually want to force their opinion down the other user's thorat and accuse them to be not a Bond fan, if they don't agree their own opinion?
    fanbond123 wrote:
    Absolute proof the Bond producers DO NOT KNOW BEST when it comes to making all aspects of a modern James Bond film:
    ...blablabla
    This is actually absolute proof that the opposite is true. If you had had the gunbarrel at the start in QOS, the following shaky-cam action scenes would have immediately ended your little Bond-gasm. The other 99% of the movie still would have been too incoherent, too short. The script would still have been bad.

(Although I still think QOS wasn't as bad as some here say it was)

My point being: I prefer a good Bond movie without the gunbarrel any day over a bad one that has all the "necessary" elements.
  • fanbond123 wrote:
    Absolute proof the Bond producers DO NOT KNOW BEST when it comes to making all aspects of a modern James Bond film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gayqFoKipVY&feature=related

I'm sorry but this doesn't work.... at....all. You clearly don't know much about filmmaking.
    I agree. I thank god we have proper filmmakers directing these movies because putting the gunbarrel in front of QoS would be inhibiting good filmmaking in order to adhere to a formula. I've always believed the the formula should be a guide, a blueprint, but formulas should not become shackles.
    I agree. I thank god we have proper filmmakers directing these movies because putting the gunbarrel in front of QoS would be inhibiting good filmmaking in order to adhere to a formula. I've always believed the the formula should be a guide, a blueprint, but formulas should not become shackles.

How would putting the GB in at the start of QOS have ruined the opening - the GB pulls back and you are into the opening shot across the water.

And how exactly was the incoherent PTS of QOS good filmaking anyway?
  • That part of the PTS was good filmmaking. Once again it's about building tension, and the gunbarrel completely eliminates the tension built up in the opening seconds.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 6,677
    fanbond123 wrote:
    This version - at 47 seconds onwards - is great!!!!!!!!

And I will stick it to the version of SF - when it comes out on DVD/Bluray.

Are you insane? Really. Are you? I´m worried here. Should we call someone to help? A straight jacket perhaps? Men in white clothes? Padded cell? :)
    That part of the PTS was good filmmaking. Once again it's about building tension, and the gunbarrel completely eliminates the tension built up in the opening seconds.

I dont see how that can be seeing as the gunbarrel would be first then the opening shot across the water which builds the tension? The tension cant be built up before the gunbarrel so how can it be eliminated by it? Or are you starting the film with that shot and then having the gunbarrel and then cutting to Bond in the tunnel because that would just be plain mental.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That part of the PTS was good filmmaking. Once again it's about building tension, and the gunbarrel completely eliminates the tension built up in the opening seconds.

I dont see how that can be seeing as the gunbarrel would be first then the opening shot across the water which builds the tension? The tension cant be built up before the gunbarrel so how can it be eliminated by it? Or are you starting the film with that shot and then having the gunbarrel and then cutting to Bond in the tunnel because that would just be plain mental.

I think what he's referring to is that the music starts when the logos are appearing. This would have to be removed to facilitate the gunbarrel and I don't think the shots afterward last the required length of time to built up tension.

I see your point about the gunbarrel @TheWizardOfIce, but I think the opening of QOS is just fine the way it is, all things considered.
  • That part of the PTS was good filmmaking. Once again it's about building tension, and the gunbarrel completely eliminates the tension built up in the opening seconds.

I think what he's referring to is that the music starts when the logos are appearing. This would have to be removed to facilitate the gunbarrel and I don't think the shots afterward last the required length of time to built up tension.

I see your point about the gunbarrel @TheWizardOfIce, but I think the opening of QOS is just fine the way it is, all things considered.
    Precisely, @CraigMooreOHMSS. You explained my thoughts better than I could have.
    To be honest if these artistic, tension packed opening shots are so vital I'd sooner theyd just bin the GB all together then as the QOS and SF ones have been particularly poorly designed and executed and just tacked on for no particular reason. SF is slightly more excusable given what transpires in the last 5 minutes of the film but the QOS one is without doubt the worst of the series.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 80
    This GB arguments just highlights how rifts turn into chasms when one person doesn’t listen and tries to impose their will onto another eg father and son, this is how my dad did it, this is how I’m following my dad, no if’s ,no buts this is how it has always been and this is how you WILL do it otherwise you’re no longer my son.

Glad Barbara and Michael don’t follow slavishly what some of us want otherwise trying new things becomes redundant, the franchise slowly dies through tedium, Daniel would have been sacked and Skyfall would be yet another by the numbers dumbed down A to Z atlas of mediocrity.

We tend to take things for granted and complacency sets in when you always know what you’re going to get. I’ve heard there was jubilation when M, Q & MoneyPenny were re-introduced, did that not lift the spirits and elevate the film more than the plodding oh yeah same old same old. I’m sure the GB will garner the same if not more appreciation on its return to the start of Bond 24.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,661
    Real comments about the lack of gun barrel at the start of the recent Bond films. From Empire's Skyfall thread:

"Who cares?

Go and be a proper fan and look down on the rest of us who don't care about it - but please stop going on and on about it."

And another:

"Complaining about how the gun barrel scene's placement impacted the film is like complaining how the title font sullied the film's quality.

It just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things."

The last three posts on this link - scroll down the page and you'll see the last three posts. The first post (near the bottom of the page) is the original link to the altered QOS gun barrel opening and it's followed by those two replies I've posted above.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3513912&mpage=7&key=

What a sad attitude to have. "Who cares?" That's some fans' attitude. Perhaps they're not big 'fans' but they've taken the time to post on a Bond thread so they must have some interest in the franchise.

And where does it all end? When does "who cares?" mean Eon Productions can do whatever they like with the franchise. Perhaps scrap the gun barrel entirely, perhaps never use the Bond theme in a future film, perhaps no pre-credit scene, perhaps Bond is no longer a 00 agent but a freelancer; is the natural reaction to such changes going to be "who cares?"

Whatever your thoughts on the Craig Bond era it's blatantly obvious fans - be they the more serious or the more casual - don't care that much about the franchise. When the producers feel they can get away with moving the classic, iconic, brilliant opening gun barrel to the end of the film and so-called fans respond with "who cares?" you know a part of the James Bond franchise died back in 2002 and it's doubtful that part will ever come back to life. And I'd like to think some fans are angry/sad/disillusioned by that. Just saying "who cares?" is a pitiful reaction and I don't consider such people true fans of the franchise. Hisqos' comments above my post prove my point. So called 'fans' that justify the change.

And of course, it goes without saying, Skyfall can be a cool James Bond film without the opening gun barrel scene. I'm not saying it makes it a terrible Bond film, but I would assert it makes it 'less' of a James Bond film.

• O6GO6G
    The CGI bullet needs to return! After all, it's another anniversary!

Just kidding. :)

Thought you were serious for a second!
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited October 2012 Posts: 858

This is the Skyfall walk/stance alright, but everything else is made up including the music. Oh, and the quality is rubbish, so even those of you who can't wait, please do.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the entire film, from the first to the last second, BUT, the design of this GB would've been much better.
    Totally don't get the diatribe and finger pointing, if you had cancer, were on life support, and this was all that was sustaining you I could understand the rants, but please put things into perspective and calm down.
  • Tobester95 wrote:
    I'd rather have the gunbarrel at the end as in Skyfall than no gunbarrel at all.
    If you complain about the placing of the gunbarrel in Skyfall, then you haven't seen the film. In relation to the final scene, the placing is PERFECT.

Completely agreed. The gunbarrel sequence really made the ending perfect.
    The elements of a traditional Bond movie, with the Bond theme building up, and then ending with the sequence and "James Bond will return". Man, that was perfect!

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm afraid I don't think Daniel Craig will have a traditional great gunbarrel in any of his films.

You're the second person to have said this. I'd wait personally, before making such a statement.
    Even if they put it back in the beginning, it will probably look as awful anyway.

There's no reason to think that. I'm sure a proper gun barrel will be done when it's time. Nothing like negatively.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Completely agreed. The gunbarrel sequence really made the ending perfect.
    The elements of a traditional Bond movie, with the Bond theme building up, and then ending with the sequence and "James Bond will return". Man, that was perfect!

Me too. At first I was annoyed that the gunbarrel was not at the beginning, but...

The ending made up for it. I think the GB will be at the start of B24...
    royale65 wrote:
    Me too. At first I was annoyed that the gunbarrel was not at the beginning, but...

The ending made up for it. I think the GB will be at the start of B24...

They do not have any grounded reason whatsoever to nót put it at the beginning. It will be my first "traditional" gunbarrel in cinema, so I really hope they do it with care. Craig's pose for Skyfall can return, gives me a Dalton-esque feeling...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm afraid I don't think Daniel Craig will have a traditional great gunbarrel in any of his films.

You're the second person to have said this. I'd wait personally, before making such a statement.
    Even if they put it back in the beginning, it will probably look as awful anyway.

There's no reason to think that. I'm sure a proper gun barrel will be done when it's time. Nothing like negatively.

There's every reason to think it. Why do this shitty design just for QOS and SF if they're going to scrap it and go back to the classic? Obviously someone at EON is happy with this gunbarrel so I would say it's far more likely this is here to stay than we will get a proper one back.
    MartinBond wrote:
    They do not have any grounded reason whatsoever to nót put it at the beginning. It will be my first "traditional" gunbarrel in cinema, so I really hope they do it with care. Craig's pose for Skyfall can return, gives me a Dalton-esque feeling...

If I could be bothered I could dig up old threads on here where people said 'don't worry folks now the Vesper story is done the GB will 100% be at the beginning for SF.' There was no reason not to start SF with it but that didn't stop them did it?
    As it is I really cannot see why they would put the next one at the end but that's what I thought for SF. I dont want to put my faith in EON again and spend the first 30 seconds of the film pissed off like I did with SF so maybe I'll go into Bond 24 with low GB expectations and I might be pleasantly surprised.

Mind you if they don't change the design then I'll still be underwhelmed. I suppose some will accuse me of being just a cantankerous old git who doesn't like change and I agree there's an element of that (I miss the old UA logo with 'Entertainment from Transamerica Corporation').

However I have nothing against change - the DC era is brilliant and a breath of fresh air - but shouldnt a change be for the better? Ive yet to have anyone persuade me that what has become the norm is better. All this pissing around with the GB just seems like change for changes sake to me.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 2,782
    We had two gun barrels in Skyfall, one at the beginning in the shape of the hotel room spy hole and one at the end. Mendes was being witty and clever or did you miss it at the beginning?
    edited October 2012 Posts: 858
    the one I saw just had Bond walking in the corridor, but then again it also cut out for about 5 seconds, so maybe the copy I saw was slightly off and I'm in for a little suprise this friday ;)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Well, with millions of Bind fans bleieving they would know how to do a decent Bond movie, it's like the millions of football supporters who think they would be a good national team manager...
    There are people who want the Bond movies be by the book, taking the "formula" and tick all the ingredient are there, and then tehyy jsut mix them together to ge a good Bond movie... ;) Asks our German manager Joachim Löw or Fabio Capello or Roy Hodgson, they all would agree with that.
    No harm intended...
  • We had two gun barrels in Skyfall, one at the beginning in the shape of the hotel room spy hole and one at the end. Mendes was being witty and clever or did you miss it at the beginning?

It's been a while since I was at school, but I do seem to remember a gunbarrel and a hotel room door spyhole were two different things.
  • Though I don't agree with its placement, at least SF's gunbarrel was an improvement on QoS's. Better look, vastly smoother walk on from Craig as opposed to the stomp monster he was before. I'm not convinced I buy into the placement in SF being for editing reasons. The gunbarrel could've faded out into the corner, perhaps even to black, in the classic Connery era way before the establishing shot. But all the pieces are in place for B24 to be a proper/classic/traditional/whatever Bond film, and that means the gunbarrel needs to return to the front end of the film.

On the plus side, at least there hasn't been a CG fricking bullet in the Craig era...
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,347
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

There's every reason to think it. Why do this shitty design just for QOS and SF if they're going to scrap it and go back to the classic? Obviously someone at EON is happy with this gunbarrel so I would say it's far more likely this is here to stay than we will get a proper one back.
    Yep, I bet it will look like QOS/SF or similar in all of his films, I'm afraid. It looks so cheap, the blood is awful.