Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

• "The world will make its judgment when the film is released on Friday, although Craig confirms Mendes has still been editing footage over the last fortnight. It is a visually arresting and unexpectedly emotional spectacle, but audiences will also see a sly paean to the craft of acting."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/oct/21/skyfall-sam-mendes-daniel-craig?newsfeed=true

One can hope so that this whole thread becomes meaningless [-O<

I'm afraid that it's too late to wish for that. The films must have been delivered already to the countries where SF will be released on 26th Oct and the subtitles must have been made too, as I've seen it in S.Korea (GB at the end).

What I felt about the GB scene at the screening is..
    for me, it seemed that GB at the end of the film made everyone at theatre cheer and applause, quite like the end of Iron Man 1, if you remember ;) it made people shout out loud with so much excitement. So I think this position of GB could be the new tradition of DC era, which is good imo, with the very first scene of the film showing the face of James Bond out of shadow. It appears to be a good balance for me.
    Anyway, wait until you watch the film and it will not be too late to make judgement then. :)
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    It appears we do get a bond-esque moment at the beginning: source: the soundtrack:

If that doesn't get you in the mood, nothing will ;)
    I don't see the big deal. The gunbarrel is a great tradition but I don't care where it is--beginning or the end---as long as it's there.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2012 Posts: 3,497
    Me too hopes it'll be at the start, but probably for different reasons.

Mendes like a boss! [-O<
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,043
    Not to say it has ever been a deal breaker for me but I'm getting less and less bothered about the GB's placing as these reviews drip through, seriously CR didn't even get the kind of reviews this is now getting, these are the kind of raves TDK got and far more consistent than the ones TDKR got, yes it had some glowing tributes but it also it had some people who were merciless in their criticism. Skyfall in it's weakest reviews is still getting 3 stars at the least and they are very few and far between.

I can see the most savage appraisals for SF coming from here and CNB more than the professional critics as it's pretty obvious this will get pretty much universal acclaim, the only downside is how do they top it?

I can see the box office really surprising, although it won't top The Avengers or TDKR box office figures, I think I can confidently say it will be a better film and the most outstanding blockbuster of the year, I don't even think the Hobbit will get the raves this is getting, 2012 will be Bond's year and so it should be.
  • I doubt this last minute editing news has anything to do with the GB.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 501
    @marketto007 did they change the gunbarrel's position?
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    0iker0 wrote:

Nope, still at the end.
  • That's that then. What is no doubt a tremendous Bond movie tarnished by one piece of pointless messing about.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    That's that then. What is no doubt a tremendous Bond movie tarnished by one piece of pointless messing about.

Yeah, life is hard.
  • 28852079.jpg

Had to be done!
  • JamesCraig wrote:
    Fitzochris wrote:
    That's that then. What is no doubt a tremendous Bond movie tarnished by one piece of pointless messing about.

Yeah, life is hard.

It is with numpties like you on the planet, yeah.
  • To anyone who's seen the movie already, I have a question:
    Is the first second or two of the opening like a blueball moment when you think you're going to get the GB and then it stops suddenly and it just goes on without it? Because that's the impression I get just from listening to the opening seconds of the score here.
  • To anyone who's seen the movie already, I have a question:
    Is the first second or two of the opening like a blueball moment when you think you're going to get the GB and then it stops suddenly and it just goes on without it? Because that's the impression I get just from listening to the opening seconds of the score here.

• edited October 2012 Posts: 624
    0iker0 wrote:

Nope, still at the end.
    What's the design look like? What type of blood? Does it seem rushed like QoS? How's the music?
    To come back to this topic, given the recent revelation about
    Miss Moneypenny being in Skyfall,
    I feel that the gunbarrel being at the end makes more sense.
    All the characters from the film series have been formally introduced as part of the reboot,
    and henceforth the gunbarrel can be placed at the beginning.
  • RC7RC7
    Bond wrote:
    To come back to this topic, given the recent revelation about
    Miss Moneypenny being in Skyfall,
    I feel that the gunbarrel being at the end makes more sense.
    All the characters from the film series have been formally introduced as part of the reboot,
    and henceforth the gunbarrel can be placed at the beginning.

I agree. It makes the QoS gb seem a little redundant, oh well.
    Yes, and as I recall Marc Forster had actually wanted to omit it altogether, which would have been quite fitting in this newly revealed context, but the producers insisted on it being tacked on.... which at the time was probably a wise choice seeing as many fans would have taken a stroke if it wouldn't have been there at all.
  • It works well, Craig's pose is much better than his previous QOS stance, however those disappointed his walk was too short will likely be disappointed again. He's wearing what appears to be a silver tie as well.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i'm telling you - it's all set up now so that when Bond turns and fires, it's at 0:07 seconds.... thats exactly how the QOS was timed.
    So, I have it straight from the horses mouth (Asked him at the premiere) regarding the gunbarrel:
    According to Sam Mendes, he always intended to include the Gunbarrel at the start, but when he saw Roger Deakins opening shot, he decided that he couldn't open with the gunbarrel and make that shot, which he wanted to keep as it was so beautiful actually work and opening into an establishing shot of the Istanbul skyline and then going to that shot was too old fashioned, hence the reason this time to keep it the same as Marc Foster.
    It works well, Craig's pose is much better than his previous QOS stance, however those disappointed his walk was too short will likely be disappointed again. He's wearing what appears to be a silver tie as well.

His walk was too short?

Help. :((
  • RC7RC7
    JamesCraig wrote:
    It works well, Craig's pose is much better than his previous QOS stance, however those disappointed his walk was too short will likely be disappointed again. He's wearing what appears to be a silver tie as well.

His walk was too short?

Help. :((

I hope this is a sarcasm. I know how anal some people can be on here.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    His walk was too short?? I thought it was long enough. In fact, it seemed to me that he was walking a bit fast then slowed down his walking before turning and shooting.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    With the way things panned out it makes sense I suppose to have it at the end - although I was incandescent for the first few minutes.

As for the design - I wasnt impressed. Seemed like the same as QOS although the walk is a bit better but CR is still DCs best gunbarrel by far. Its strange because all the poster art has relied heavily on the classic gunbarrel and then they go with the same crappy QOS design.
  • I hear you man. It's going to have to be really special for me to accept the gunbarrel at the end. So far it doesn't sound like the justification is there...

Proof will be in the pudding and all that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    dchantry wrote:
    So, I have it straight from the horses mouth (Asked him at the premiere) regarding the gunbarrel:
    According to Sam Mendes, he always intended to include the Gunbarrel at the start, but when he saw Roger Deakins opening shot, he decided that he couldn't open with the gunbarrel and make that shot, which he wanted to keep as it was so beautiful actually work and opening into an establishing shot of the Istanbul skyline and then going to that shot was too old fashioned, hence the reason this time to keep it the same as Marc Foster.

Thank you @dchantry.
    There is reason then I guess, though if Mendes wanted to open with it originally, he should have stuck to his guns, said "Sorry, Roger!" and no chanced his mind for anyone. Unless the opening shot is that good.
  • RC7RC7
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Unless the opening shot is that good

It is.
    RC7 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

It is.

Seconded.
    In fact, the whole film is shot beautifully.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

It is.

Is it really? Its not as good IMO as a classic gunbarrel with the original DN Bond theme at full blast over the top of it.