Daniel Craig to be James Beard

Comments

He said - classic Bond - so I assume, IF he has a beard, its only for a bit of time and because the situation needs it. Fine with me...
    I don't think he means "classic Bond" in terms of the appearance. If that were the case, he'd be screwed; Daniel Craig doesn't exactly resemble Connery or Moore. I think he means "classic Bond" in the sense that it will be structured more along the lines of the films from the 1960s and 1970s.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 2,782

Agent 696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696

A little immature, wouldn't you say, sir?
    Yes I know but it makes me happy, agent8398598593 has been less than kind to me in some posts - check language - so I will stop and respect my fellow agent.

'TrouserBlackSnakeMoan' I quite like that, some subtle undertones, it's better than Skyfall.

I don't think he means "classic Bond" in terms of the appearance. If that were the case, he'd be screwed; Daniel Craig doesn't exactly resemble Connery or Moore. I think he means "classic Bond" in the sense that it will be structured more along the lines of the films from the 1960s and 1970s.
    LOL at having the same conversations on both boards. Sometimes I wonder, why there are two in the first place. same people, same discussions...anyway...

I agree in terms of the ingredience of earlier Bond films, like Moneypenny etc, but IMO to make it a classic Bond movie, it would be contraproductive to have Bond look like never before...I know, we will find out soon enough, but speculating is all we can do most of the time anyway.

Also, the last pap pics were from the 13th, as clean shaven as it gets, the Sun article came out on the 21st - so 1 week to grow something, that would give people the idea? Likely, if he wouldn't have stubble close to a beard normally, but he often has it between films, so...?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

That's pretty much what I said, too.
    Numbers were never his strong suit...
    Nice. Great way to inject a movie line :-)) .
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Yes I know but it makes me happy, agent8398598593 has been less than kind to me in some posts - check language - so I will stop and respect my fellow agent.

'TrouserBlackSnakeMoan' I quite like that, some subtle undertones, it's better than Skyfall.

Wait, so I swear - nine times out of ten not even directed at you - and that's being "less than kind" to you? As I recall, the first time you screwed up my name was quoting one of my posts that wasn't even directed at you.
    Brilliant post :D

Brilliant post :D

Fab. :)

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,944
    Thank you! Thank you! Wow- what a great audience! \:D/
    That does seem to be what everyone wants, even EON. I'm not certain Craig can pull off a "classic Bond", but we can only wait and see.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That does seem to be what everyone wants, even EON. I'm not certain Craig can pull off a "classic Bond", but we can only wait and see.
    I think he can and with a good story it will make for a very memorable film.
    I hope so. But I happen to like the Craig-style films, with the slight edge to them. Most of the complaints I hear about Craig's films (especially QoS) when I ask around town is that they don't like that Bond's a cold-blooded killer. They seem to have ignored scenes in Connery's films which portrayed Bond as a cold-blooded killer, however.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I hope so. But I happen to like the Craig-style films, with the slight edge to them. Most of the complaints I hear about Craig's films (especially QoS) when I ask around town is that they don't like that Bond's a cold-blooded killer. They seem to have ignored scenes in Connery's films which portrayed Bond as a cold-blooded killer, however.
    So these next films will of course mix it up a bit and in time, I think Craig will earn more comparisons to Connery. They'll still have that "edge" or tone without a doubt just in a more traditional mold.
    I repeat: I hope so. I want Craig to stick around, I like his Bond.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    His Bond will be more refined from now on though so there will be subtle changes but it will still be Craig of course.

I'm sure he'll be around for a while yet, he's young and has many films left in him if he wishes to continue.
    I would like the gadgets to make a bit more of a return, but only like in the early Connery films, not like in the Brosnan films. His movies had too many gadgets that I almost lost track of them during the film.
    We may get that in time. It's a very difficult and different thing to tackle nowadays though.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm confident Craig can bring the goods. As mentioned, it greatly depends on the story itself. I'd like for the plot to be a bit more outlandish than the last two, and I mean just a bit. On the appearance side, things such as editing techniques can do a lot to make the film seem more like classic Bond. Remember in CR when Vesper tried the Martini he invented? After she reacts to the taste, the scene fades back to the poker game. That was a neat little homage to the old style editing.

And yes, a couple of gadgets maximum. One issued to him by Q, the other pops up later in the film by surprise.

Oh, and while we're on topic, I have no objection to a neatly trimmed beard- especially if it's Craig's.
    I would like the gadgets to make a bit more of a return, but only like in the early Connery films, not like in the Brosnan films. His movies had too many gadgets that I almost lost track of them during the film.
    What like rocket propelled cigarette dart?

I do agree Sean's Bond had a real world spy kit (I hope that's what you meant Agent007391)....but in this modern digital world the gadgets could be a bit geeky for Bond to do his spy stuff.

So far DC did uses a geeky mobile communications sim card reader, mobile gps, heart defibulator, a Sony laptop (Bond would only have an apple airbook and an apple phone) and a Salt cellar.

For me I want Bond dressed properly again. None of your Tom Ford wubbish. Dunhill and Church shoes please, these are the ultimate gadgets.

What like rocket propelled cigarette dart?

I do agree Sean's Bond had a real world spy kit (I hope that's what you meant Agent007391)....but in this modern digital world the gadgets could be a bit geeky for Bond to do his spy stuff.

So far DC did uses a geeky mobile communications sim card reader, mobile gps, heart defibulator, a Sony laptop (Bond would only have an apple airbook and an apple phone) and a Salt cellar.

For me I want Bond dressed properly again. None of your Tom Ford wubbish. Dunhill and Church shoes please, these are the ultimate gadgets.

What I meant by that was that Connery's Bond didn't NEED the gadgets, they were just there. Sure he used them, but you could easily take them out and the movies wouldn't have been much different. Brosnan on the other hand required his gadgets to go from one door to the next.
  • I think he would have drowned without is mini-air breather in TB and in DAF he would have fallen off the Whitehouse trying to get to the penthouse loo no? He did need his gadgets and they did further his films but I sort know what you mean Agent007391. SC was Bond enough to not need them he had the physical and mental strength to do without.
    Holy hell, you said my name right. Connery DID use gadgets, but they weren't necessary.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 5,767
    Connery had more presence than his gadgets.

Sorry if I´m a bit slow on the uptake, but is a beard supposed to be that dramatic shocking hook left over from the first script draft?
    Good question.

Sorry if I´m a bit slow on the uptake, but is a beard supposed to be that dramatic shocking hook left over from the first script draft?
    no

WHY NOT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    We're splitting hairs, peeps, if Bond does have a beard, it won't be for the majority of the movie...
    Of course he won't have it for the majority of the film. Much as Daniel Craig's Bond is doing things no other one would, THAT would be too controversial even for him (though why, I don't know, men grow beards for God's sake...)
    its a Q gadget....synthetic beard for picking up encrypted signals and to lower heat signature....
    Enough, a man's got to know his limitations. They have to STOP ruining the franchise. I mean when did you ever hear or ever see BOND with a bloody beard? It's really OUT of the 007 persona we know. No one ever in the previous films have done anything strange like this (Brosnan did once, because he was captive for 14 months, not being a casual). Come on, they have to put their head back in the game.