Die Hard (1988 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @JWESTBROOK, I received some Mucinex DM advertisement that I couldn't skip.

The trailer: makes me a lot more interested for the film, and that shot of John rounding the table and sprint firing with the AEK looks awesome. But, going off of the wardrobe change, I suppose him in the bloodied t-shirt will be closer to the end of the film, so I'm hoping the final shot(s) of the trailer aren't the ending of the movie. I hate when trailers do that, but it's just so common anymore.
  • Creasy47 wrote:

I'm really not sure about this film.... some parts look cool, some of the jokes are pretty good, and the relationship with his son looks like fun. But they seem to try and make it too epic/james bond-esque. Also, they aren't really sharing any plot/ dialog. I'm probably gonna have to wait until I actually see it in cinema to know whether or not I'm going to like it.

Also 'Me and my boy here are going to give you a whooping' should have been 'me and my boy here are going to kick your f*cking ass'

@Creasy47

I'm now really excited for the film though, plenty of shots where I was asking myself 'how the hell did they do that' like with the
    helicopter crash scene.

Looks like all out action fun. I'm in.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,473
    Yeah, that scene looks very cool. I can't wait to see how it all plays out. I think this will be the first film I'm excited to see for 2013, but I'm still interested in Ruben's directorial work on 'Gangster Squad.'

@BondWillReturn, it could be, just because it's a green-band trailer, and they can't use that kind of language. Now, if it was red-band...that's a different story. But, having said that, the new trailer showed no rating, and I'm under the impression they'll wait until last minute to disappoint everyone with a PG-13 rating. I'll still probably see it, but I'll be upset with their choosing.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    '

@BondWillReturn, it could be, just because it's a green-band trailer, and they can't use that kind of language. Now, if it was red-band...that's a different story.

That's what I keep telling myself ;) It does seem like his mouth doesn't match the words. The day I see 'A Good Day to Die Hard: Red Band Trailer' I'm going to be happy.

@BondWillReturn, you and I both. I really want this to be R-rated, and I'm hoping they give us what we want. But, time will tell.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The end shot of the trailer is CGI-tastic. Apart from that, this film could well keep up the streak of all the Die Hard's at least being enjoyable fun.

I don't get why this isn't a Summer release though. Will it really do as well as the last one in February?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The end shot of the trailer is CGI-tastic. Apart from that, this film could well keep up the streak of all the Die Hard's at least being enjoyable fun.

I don't get why this isn't a Summer release though. Will it really do as well as the last one in February?

I feel it would be better off in the summer, too. I'm not sure why they went for a February release.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Here's a video summarizing what was wrong with Die Hard 4 and the Die Hard 5 trailer.

I completely agree with that guy.
  • It's going to be rated R <:-P

*thanks to @boldfinger for the info
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,767
    It's going to be rated R <:-P

*thanks to @boldfinger for the info
    Oh right we have this thread too. Might have as well posted it here, sorry.

Still, of DH4´s problems the rating was the least by far.

edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Could this be the reason for the February release? Maybe this rating for Die Hard is not expected to do well in the Summer?

Let's hope it's good. One month to go. :D
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'm sure it will be good. I have a feeling it's going to make fans feel alittle bit better about the series.
    I, for one, am much, much happier knowing I'll walk into this with an attached R-rating. To an extent, the film will be much better, knowing McClane will be incredibly mouthy once more, sans restrictions.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    To an extent, the film will be much better, knowing McClane will be incredibly mouthy once more, sans restrictions.
    And sans hair. John McClane has hair. Other characters originated by Willis do not. Bond has hair, Kirk has hair, hence the make-up dept.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    To an extent, the film will be much better, knowing McClane will be incredibly mouthy once more, sans restrictions.
    And sans hair. John McClane has hair. Other characters originated by Willis do not. Bond has hair, Kirk has hair, hence the make-up dept.
    I'm confused as to what point you are making.
    :-/

The last John McClane movie was Die Hard With A Vengeance. These last two have the same actor, but not the same character. For me. And no Holly. The third one suffered for that, but at least there was hope for a reunion.
    Change the look, change the scope of believability, change the marital status, the movies have lost me.
    I'll watch Expendables movies instead.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

The last John McClane movie was Die Hard With A Vengeance. These last two have the same actor, but not the same character. For me. And no Holly. The third one suffered for that, but at least there was hope for a reunion.
    Change the look, change the scope of believability, change the marital status, the movies have lost me.
    A few problems with your reasoning here:

*Just because John is bald doesn't mean he is a different character. Hair doesn't make the man, his actions do.
    *Stay tuned for Holly.
    *I like that the newer films reflect on his broken family and it fits in quite well. John's flaws make him more interesting and relatable than just a one dimensional action hero like you see in many stupid action films nowadays.
    *I know Die Hard 4 was over the top in parts, but the other films are just as outlandish at times too.
    *You make the claim that you want the series to become more grounded again, and then make the comment that you are going to watch The Expendables instead? A tad hypocritical. And by a tad, I mean very very very very very very very very very hypocritical.

*Just because John is bald doesn't mean he is a different character. Hair doesn't make the man, his actions do.
    This is movies, not real life. Give mcClane the look we grew up on!
    *Stay tuned for Holly.
    THAT would make me a convert!
    *You make the claim that you want the series to become more grounded again, and then make the comment that you are going to watch The Expendables instead? A tad hypocritical.
    I just mean that if I'm gonna accept crazy, I'll go for SERIOUS crazy.

AND, @0BradyMOBndfanatic7, you are really fun to spar with!
    :)>-
    chrisisall wrote:

This is movies, not real life. Give mcClane the look we grew up on!
    *Stay tuned for Holly.
    THAT would make me a convert!
    *You make the claim that you want the series to become more grounded again, and then make the comment that you are going to watch The Expendables instead? A tad hypocritical.
    I just mean that if I'm gonna accept crazy, I'll go for SERIOUS crazy.

AND, @0BradyMOBndfanatic7, you are really fun to spar with!

Haha, you too mate. And all in good fun, no mistake about it. I think you will be very happy about this film though, as I have heard little rumblings that maybe Holly could return. Then the whole family could be together for what is supposed to be the last Die Hard film. I find it very fitting the family starts broken and finishes united.
    I find it very fitting the family starts broken and finishes united.
    If true, I'm there, regardless of hair!
    Who wants to bet Die Hard 6 comes out in 2018, 30 years after the first one?
  • And after that, a Die Hard 7 damn it. Wouldn't be no surprise, and Willis will just continue so long as he's alive and breathing, regardless of the fact that he's evidently too old for the McClane role by now, or even was, by the time of Die Hard IV

I used to be a fan of the series, but it got to a stage where they did the fourth release, twelve years after the last, and it was just too long a wait all said. I didn't find McClane plausible anymore with Willis, and maybe it would of been for the best if they had finished with the series in 1995, as I think Vengeance would of been an ideal time to end the Die Hard releases and Willis to leave with his head held high, but they went and continued it, after a long wait. In retrospect - lousy idea

It really is irritating when movie franchises you remember and respect go too far or do one release too many, and they just won't allow themselves to stop. Here is just another example
    Looking forward to this next Die Hard, as Willis is McClane and always has been.
    New photos:

PH50HXdOc2vV8b_1_m.jpg
    PHpZGj6jMt8Wtp_1_m.jpg
    PH8ovHBOVWq8cb_1_m.jpg
    PHl2W8G4cKUXpl_1_m.jpg
    PHfUnsxv58OXjf_1_m.jpg
    PHIqe4sO12dGLJ_1_m.jpg
    PHlOVTG7VDz9pr_1_m.jpg

One month to go.
    And it looks like good old McClane at work to me.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    chrisisall wrote:

A few problems with your reasoning here:

*Stay tuned for Holly.
    *I like that the newer films reflect on his broken family and it fits in quite well. John's flaws make him more interesting and relatable than just a one dimensional action hero like you see in many stupid action films nowadays.
    *I know Die Hard 4 was over the top in parts, but the other films are just as outlandish at times too.
    *You make the claim that you want the series to become more grounded again, and then make the comment that you are going to watch The Expendables instead? A tad hypocritical. And by a tad, I mean very very very very very very very very very hypocritical.

The first one is the only one where I didn't find myself rolling my eyes at any point. Die Harder I can only remember the part when he ejects out of the jet as being OTT, Die Hard With a Vengence has the part when McClain is surfing on the semi-truck, and Live Free or Die Hard had the part with the fighter jet, which I still think was awesome.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Who wants to bet Die Hard 6 comes out in 2018, 30 years after the first one?

I hope not. I'd rather have it be no later than 2016.

McClane bungee jumping off the top of Nakatomi Plaza with nothing but a rubber hose is a bit over-the-top. Regardless, the original is my favorite action film ever created.

Personally, I liked the fourth one. It modernized the McClane character into the modern age and felt like a great continuation of the character. At the opening, Farrell asks him if he's done that before and he came off as deeply cynical. The fourth also paralleled the first one in the fact that both Farrell and Powell didn't use a gun and help McClane physically in that sense until the final moments of the movie. This one, however, throws the entire one man army concept that made the first film so special out the window. I read someone that an early spec script for part four had Jack working in Japan for the Nakatomi Corporation and there's no denying it's better than him being some sort of "CIA badass" that rivals John. Just my opinion on the direction part five is taking the series.
    The film has been confirmed to have an R-rating, thanks to the latest TV spot.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Uh oh... in the most recent trailer, seen here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99140, there's something I know many won't like. I'll spoiler it, but it's in the trailer.

Bruce Willis..
    jumps onto the front of the helicopter, and it slingshots him back into the building.. apparently..

So.. yea... but other than that I still really want to see this movie.