Die Hard (1988 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I already own the first and fourth on blu-ray, so count me out for a collection unless they all include unrated cuts or something.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 816
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=SKZnmZHTTw4

The dialog between John and Jack sounds great, however 'Let's go kill some scumbags' doesn't bode well for those of us (including me) hoping for an R-rated film. I do love the line at the end
    'Certain Death' 'Like your mother's cooking'
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Looks brilliant. Can't wait for this. Let's hope it's an R.

Has this been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3848&feature=iv&src_vid=FRLwoMXaZHQ&v=oZlGkBJj4Ms
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    My wife auditioned for a part in this film and I read some of the script. It looked pretty hokey to be honest.
    Still, love Die Hard so I'll probably give it a look.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The dialog between John and Jack sounds great, however 'Let's go kill some scumbags' doesn't bode well for those of us (including me) hoping for an R-rated film.

The way he says it, where his face is just barely shown as he's turning around, makes me think this'll go the way of Live Free or Die Hard, and that it'll have an unrated DVD that gives us all the foul language that we want from John McClane.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    My wife auditioned for a part in this film and I read some of the script. It looked pretty hokey to be honest.
    Still, love Die Hard so I'll probably give it a look.

It better be at least on par with the last one. Do you think it is @doubleonothing?
    The 4th was one ok but it didn't really feel like Bruce was playing the same character, also I don't know why they have to give him a young co-star, Bruce can handle it fine by himself.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The first film of the New Year that interests me. Can't wait, it better be good!
    I guess it looks like some good action, but have the filmmakers of A Good Day to Die Hard even seen the 1st film? Come on, they've completely lost track of what these movies were about. (This goes for Live Free or Die Hard / Die Hard 4.0 also.)

John McClane should NOT be the 007 of Plainfield, New Jersey. :-w
    SJK91 wrote:
    I guess it looks like some good action, but have the filmmakers of A Good Day to Die Hard even seen the 1st film? Come on, they've completely lost track of what these movies were about. (This goes for Live Free or Die Hard / Die Hard 4.0 also.)

John McClane should NOT be the 007 of Plainfield, New Jersey. :-w

That's kind of how I feel. I know he is a man against the odds, but I need a smaller, more believable setting than this.
  • I like the setting, I'm just sad they felt the need to give him a young sidekick again. At least in Die Hard 4 it sort of made sense because of all the computer stuff.

I don't see any need to have his son fighting with him, I'd have preferred it if his son was captured and he had to rescue him. Solo.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yeah, gone are the days of John being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now, he looks for it, little an excitably yippy dog chasing a ball. Die Hard 1 and this film as far as action goes will be completely foreign to each other. Die Hard 4 was OTT big time, but this seems even more so. Maybe John will surf on a jet again this time...But it'll be totally fresh because it isn't just ANY jet...it's a Russian jet! 8-|
    I'm telling you, the next Die Hard has to be in space. A building, then an airport, then a city, then a country, and now the world. I just feel like since it's getting bigger and bigger, they can only keep going from here, and won't want to cut it back down to something small like the first 'Die Hard,' though they should. Just put John against a group of terrorists in a very small setting again, and I will be very happy. 'Live Free or Die Hard' could have taken place in Justin Long's apartment complex and I would have been very satisfied.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    To be fair the setting is a bit scaled down from the last one. It's set in one Russian prison and I'm assuming a bit of Moscow for the car chase. So smaller than Die Hard 4, which was a big cross country adventure (so the opposite of a Die Hard film should be).

The problem is they seem to have thought that the scale was too small and so they threw in some plot about Mcclane saving America.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm telling you, the next Die Hard has to be in space. A building, then an airport, then a city, then a country, and now the world. I just feel like since it's getting bigger and bigger, they can only keep going from here, and won't want to cut it back down to something small like the first 'Die Hard,' though they should. Just put John against a group of terrorists in a very small setting again, and I will be very happy. 'Live Free or Die Hard' could have taken place in Justin Long's apartment complex and I would have been very satisfied.

I think the airport setting of 2 was a step down from the thundering high rise.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I think so, too. He had so many floors to tackle in the first one, and then in the second one, he spends most of the time fighting with air traffic controllers and security guards. He's in the baggage sorting area, a tarmac, a terminal, and an old church. I think if it was something where everyone was evacuated, the terrorists set up in the airport, and he was stuck in there to save the day, it could have been better. It's still entertaining, though.
  • I thought the airport setting was good. It made sense, terrorists would attack an airport after all, and it was bigger than the first but not too big.

I think the problem is that he's gotten too much help in the sequels. Fair enough Samuel Jackson was badass but what made the original great was that this regular cop was forced to be a Rambo type one man army.

I did like Die Hard 4 (especially the directoers cut) even though the scale was pretty big, so I still have faith in this one.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,473
    @thelivingroyale, while I don't hate any of the currently released 'Die Hard' films, I did appreciate John being by himself. Jackson was good and added comic relief, but the ending of 'Die Hard With A Vengeance' was so anticlimactic. Long was pretty good in 'Live Free or Die Hard,' but again, I want to see John working alone.

I'll give this one a shot in theaters, of course, but I'm not terribly excited about it. Trailers for films and games need to blow me away after that for me to spend money on them; I've been let down way too many times this year to waste any more money.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, while I don't hate any of the currently released 'Die Hard' films, I did appreciate John being by himself. Jackson was good and added comic relief, but the ending of 'Die Hard With A Vengeance' was so anticlimactic. Long was pretty good in 'Live Free or Die Hard,' but again, I want to see John working alone.

I'll give this one a shot in theaters, of course, but I'm not terribly excited about it. Trailers for films and games need to blow me away after that for me to spend money on them; I've been let down way too many times this year to waste any more money.

If you watch the rocket grenade Russian roulette ending for Die Hard 3, it is everything but anticlimactic. I still don't know why they didn't go with it. So much more thrilling than anything we got.
  • I think maybe they thought an ending where John loses his job and pension was too much of a downbeat ending.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think maybe they thought an ending where John loses his job and pension was too much of a downbeat ending.

But like Dirty Harry, he could come back and the audience would know that somehow it wouldn't be the end for him. But yeah, in general, I agree with the above comments.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,473
    I just watched the Russian roulette ending to 'Die Hard With A Vengeance,' and yes, it is leagues better. The 'Yippie ki yay' line was a little rushed, but other than that, I loved it.

I actually just got around to checking out the second TV spot for 'A Good Day To Die Hard,' and it's just the same as the trailer and other TV spot: same shots and everything, so nothing more to say about the film. Looks okay.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just watched the Russian roulette ending to 'Die Hard With A Vengeance,' and yes, it is leagues better. The 'Yippie ki yay' line was a little rushed, but other than that, I loved it.
    That alternate ending is infinitely better than the ending we got. Die Hard with a Vengeance was a GREAT film up until that pathetic excuse for a finale. Honestly, it is one of the worst endings to any action film that I've ever seen.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    SJK91 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That alternate ending is infinitely better than the ending we got. Die Hard with a Vengeance was a GREAT film up until that pathetic excuse for a finale. Honestly, it is one of the worst endings to any action film that I've ever seen.

I think I like the ending to DHWAV because that was the one I grew up watching as a kid. However, I do like the Russian roulette ending better and would prefer that one if they would've dropped the line about John losing his job.

@QsAssistant, along with making the famous 'Yippie ki-yay...' line a little better. I just didn't like how he said it in the clip.

They could have just ended the films as a trilogy - John loses his job, but gets the bad guy - or they could have had him in another situation such as the first two films that results in him saving a lot of people and getting his job back.
    I just hope that it ends happy for John. He busts his tuchus for friends, family, and people he doesn't even know and never has the easy ride. It would be nice to see him ride into the sunset reunited with Holly, and finally end things on his terms, content and retired.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Creasy47 wrote:

I love how comingsoon.net 's ads on their videos say 'you can skip in 45 seconds', and the video is 50 seconds long
    :-L