Die Hard (1988 - present)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, that's how I feel. A sequel can be trumped by the one to follow it, but when a reboot is trash, it's hard to go from there.

Now, if a new film comes out that is terrible, with plans to reboot it, it's hard to be any worse, ala 'Fantastic Four.'

I'm just glad nothing more came from the rumors of a Honey, I Shrunk the Kids reboot. :p
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Baltimore_007, I do believe something has happened in the past 24 hours.

As for the original 'Die Hard,' I feel nothing will beat it because of the brutal simplicity of it...and, c'mon, it's Hans Gruber.

You have an ordinary cop in a giant building battling numerous bad guys to save his wife and coworkers. It's great. From there on out, the films just got bigger and bigger: building to airport to city to country to world. I called it months ago, 'Die Hard 6' can go one of two ways:

1.) Space
    2.) Backwards
    Creasy47 wrote:

As for the original 'Die Hard,' I feel nothing will beat it because of the brutal simplicity of it...and, c'mon, it's Hans Gruber.

You have an ordinary cop in a giant building battling numerous bad guys to save his wife and coworkers. It's great. From there on out, the films just got bigger and bigger: building to airport to city to country to world. I called it months ago, 'Die Hard 6' can go one of two ways:

1.) Space
    2.) Backwards
    15bf43bb7b1af716d5dfa31293878d97-d3pc9nv.jpg
    Creasy47 wrote:

1.) Space
    2.) Backwards

McClaine on a cruise ship.

Though I think that could work with Taken 3, too.

OH MY MOTHER LOVING WORD, have Liam Neeson's Taken franchise and Willis' Die Hard franchise mix for DH6 + Taken3.

Both families go for a lovely cruise when the ship is taken by Somali pirates, and they work together to save the ship.

Where's my money, Hollywood.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

1.) Space
    2.) Backwards

McClaine on a cruise ship.

Though I think that could work with Taken 3, too.

OH MY MOTHER LOVING WORD, have Liam Neeson's Taken franchise and Willis' Die Hard franchise mix for DH6 + Taken3.

Both families go for a lovely cruise when the ship is taken by Somali pirates, and they work together to save the ship.

Where's my money, Hollywood.

Don't even joke about such a thing. I am ashamed to admit that it sounds...

completely awesome... :-\"
    One ticket, please!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 9,770
    Same Neeson and willis being bad ass in one movie I'll bite....

that said my favorite so far was Die Hard with a Vengence
  • That indeed, was a very good release, the second best of the series thus far

Too much over emphasis on race issues that weren't necessary, but having an actor the caliber of Sam L Jackson on board did it no harm at all.

Only spoilt by a dull and lacklustre ending at the border line with Simon and the choppers, which up to then, was a very very good movie
    @Baltimore_007, I agree. Great film, horrendous ending.
  • Creasy47 wrote:

I kinda like the alternative ending, McClane and Gruber playing Russian Roulette with a grenade launcher :)
  • Once again, and back on topic, My favorite Die Hard was the second at Dulles International Airport, that was immense, and what a finale on the snow covered runway..

I don't understand what all the furore is about sometimes regarding the original in 1988 as the best, I always found it rather ordinary

My favourite is the first one but I do like the finale of the 2nd.
    I can easily watch the original 3. Haven't seen the fourth one since I saw it in the cinema, but might rent it to see it before the new one comes. I remember not liking the fourth one because there wasn't enough bad language in it
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I liked the 4th one but it needed more violent action scenes and swearing. It is a Die Hard film after all.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I liked the 4th one but it needed more violent action scenes and swearing. It is a Die Hard film after all.

The violent scenes can't be helped, but check out the unrated edition for all your "yippie kai yay motherf*cker" needs.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

I kinda like the alternative ending, McClane and Gruber playing Russian Roulette with a grenade launcher :)
    Yeah, the one they didn't shoot. But I agree with you gents. After so much great action, the ending was the definition of anticlimactic, and it is so stupid how McClane finds the location of Simon.

• They did shoot it :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Never seen that before. Very nice. Best surprise of the week I think. Thanks!

They did shoot it :)

That kicks the other ending's arse! There was another scene that was unfilmed though, right? I can see why they didn't use that one though, as it kind of portrays John as a man with not a lot of options if he isn't on the police force. I still like it, and they could wrap that up in LFODH if they had to. I am hard pressed to watch DDWAV, pause at the last 5 minutes, and turn THIS on.
  • There was an unfilmed ending where after escaping the boat Mcclane and Zeus were in the water, Gruber got away on a plane but Mcclane somehow blew it up, can't remember how.
    That was so much better. In fact I'd say that be on those lists of greatest most bad ass movie endings.
    They should have used this ending, It would have made a nice bookend to the Die Hard Trilogy. :-((
    Murdock wrote:
    They should have used this ending, It would have made a nice bookend to the Die Hard Trilogy. :-((
    Yeah, I like that though John's job is in jeopardy, he has his family and is making an effort to be with them, which is what is important after all.
    The thing that killed the fourth Die Hard for me was the fact that they made it PG-13, just so it was more marketable. Took away all the violent scenes and that iconic line. Please, don't slap me in a face with a film by taking a line that involves cuss words and block it out by a gunshot (or any loud noise). It's disrespectful.

Then the unrated edition came out, and I loved it. Leagues better than what I watched in the theaters. Then I wanted it on blu-ray, and all I could purchase was the theatrical trailer, which doesn't really make sense to me. So many good movies out there, new and old, that are either not on blu-ray, or don't have the proper editions released.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The thing that killed the fourth Die Hard for me was the fact that they made it PG-13, just so it was more marketable. Took away all the violent scenes and that iconic line. Please, don't slap me in a face with a film by taking a line that involves cuss words and block it out by a gunshot (or any loud noise). It's disrespectful.

Then the unrated edition came out, and I loved it. Leagues better than what I watched in the theaters. Then I wanted it on blu-ray, and all I could purchase was the theatrical trailer, which doesn't really make sense to me. So many good movies out there, new and old, that are either not on blu-ray, or don't have the proper editions released.
    Here here. There are so many wonderful films of the 40s and 50s that haven't been given a proper high definition format. A damn shame, as it usually only happens to well known classics. :(
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, and with the unlikely possibility of great films from those decades being released on blu-ray, take the films of today that are enjoyable to a good majority of people that will never make it to blu-ray. I'm STILL waiting for Spielberg to release 'Munich.'

There was a great TV miniseries called 'Harper's Island' that my girlfriend said she may pick up for me for Christmas. Addictive, fun, and something I can rewatch, even though I know the twists and the ending. The show was filmed in HD, yet it's only available on DVD. Whaaaa?

I just hope they don't make the same mistake with 'A Good Day To Die Hard' and it's lesser rating.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, and with the unlikely possibility of great films from those decades being released on blu-ray, take the films of today that are enjoyable to a good majority of people that will never make it to blu-ray. I'm STILL waiting for Spielberg to release 'Munich.'

There was a great TV miniseries called 'Harper's Island' that my girlfriend said she may pick up for me for Christmas. Addictive, fun, and something I can rewatch, even though I know the twists and the ending. The show was filmed in HD, yet it's only available on DVD. Whaaaa?

I just hope they don't make the same mistake with 'A Good Day To Die Hard' and it's lesser rating.
    Is Die Hard 5 rated PG-13 or R? I thought it was R.
    They haven't announced it yet, but every time Tim Rothman (the CEO of Fox) gets interviewed, he says they're going to make the best movie they can, and whatever it's rated, that's it. But, this usually means it will be PG-13. I'll be shocked if it isn't.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As long as we get to see the more violent version at a later date, it's no big loss to me providing it's made available on Blu-ray.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As long as we get to see the more violent version at a later date, it's no big loss to me providing it's made available on Blu-ray.

That's my only hope if they do give it a PG-13 rating.
    There better be a full Blu-ray collection once the films are done (IF THAT EVER HAPPENS!).