The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,894
    stag wrote: »
    Jack Ryan ? The Top American agent ? :D

I hear the Queen is excited to Have Theresa May as PM. Because instead of all those formal
    Meetings. Both she and Theresa can run upstairs to her bedroom, jumping on the bed to talk
    About Boys and music !

Or am I being sexist ? :D

Isn't using Jack Ryan a tad excessive? I mean humanely dispatching the average farmer is a task which could easily be left to Jack Duckworth?

Just don't leave it to Jack Wilshere. Useless twat would break a bone and crumple in a heap.
    :)) Good old Jack Duckworth one of Britain's best agents, in a very down market
    Bond, sort of way.

Pint of Newton & Ridley chuck, shaken not stirred.

With Ida Fagg as Miss Moneypenny?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think the canniest political operator in this entire scenario has been Boris Johnson. Not only was he the primary reason (on the margin) for Brexit, but he has also made himself out to be the victim since, and has removed himself from doing any of the 'heavy lifting' that will be required over the next year or so. Impressive.

While this 'crisis' has called for and has found its technocrat for the moment, I can see a time in the future when Boris can return as the voice of the people, should the need arise.
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think the canniest political operator in this entire scenario has been Boris Johnson. Not only was he the primary reason (on the margin) for Brexit, but he has also made himself out to be the victim since, and has removed himself from doing any of the 'heavy lifting' that will be required over the next year or so. Impressive.

While this 'crisis' has called for and has found its technocrat for the moment, I can see a time in the future when Boris can return as the voice of the people.

For me; one thing comes to mind-that was the Journalists question to the US President William J. Clinton June 2-1994 in rome; -"-And WILL You Bet on Italy's FUTURE, Sir?"-
    Silvio Berlusconi was the Host as Prime Minister of Italy-(dont look now; but...!)-and what did Mr President answer to that-not forgetting Mr Berlusconis known control of Media interests i Italy-(monopoly?!-)-!
    There was a lot of "WILL" in Mr Presidents answer..You should recall that..and don't Look now-William J.Clinton-But...!..!
    [Boris Johnson] has removed himself from doing any of the 'heavy lifting' that will be required over the next year or so. Impressive.

It depends how you look at it. If you tend to like cold individualism, long-term oriented career hunger, at the expense of others, and a certain narcist entertainer who 'shakes up the system' for the very sake of shaking up the system and not much else, then it is indeed very much impressive.

But if you look at the state of the country, the financial and economic uncertainty because of Brexit, the division that has been caused because of Brexit, from young to old, from working class people without college degrees to working class people with college degrees, it is absolutely not impressive.

One last thing. It kind of despises me how Labour is being grilled in here (I am not a social-democrat or Labour supporter, as I am strictly centrist, but hell, DO they exist in this topic??). Yes, they had PM Blair. But his ideology of liberalism on economic issues and embrace of free trade and capitalism was closer to current new PM Theresa May than the actual ideology of the Labour Party.

The Conservatives are doing many things right now. Theresa May wants to make the UK work again for all people, and not just the elite few. I admire that. But then it's no excuse to continuously blame Labour for all the shit, when the Conservatives have been governing much longer in the past 75 years.

Being a good leader is one thing. But in these days we also need a leader who has the guts to build again, instead of destroying, and who can be a leader for really all the people, also those who are supportive of Labour ideology. Respect for each other's ideologies could be so helpful these days...and we do need it.
    Let's see how she does. It's too early to judge and to tell. Rhetoric is one thing (and politicians are fantastic at that) but governing is something else entirely and she will be tested. If she delivers, then she has a long future ahead of her. If she fails, she will be trounced. The public is increasingly restless, impatient & in need of new ideas and solutions.
    This might make you laugh :

CnJMfJ5XYAATG9f.jpg
    That is hilarious!
    Gerard wrote: »
    This might make you laugh :

CnJMfJ5XYAATG9f.jpg

-The Brexit Terror on 10 Downing-and ACCOUNTING..!-so much for accountability!

(-No Terrorist could have done better-)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) great poster @Gerard
    Let's see how she does. It's too early to judge and to tell. Rhetoric is one thing (and politicians are fantastic at that) but governing is something else entirely and she will be tested. If she delivers, then she has a long future ahead of her. If she fails, she will be trounced. The public is increasingly restless, impatient & in need of new ideas and solutions.

That is true @BondJames :-). I think we should not underestimate Theresa May's task. It's perhaps the biggest responsibility since Churchill kept the UK out of WW II. And like you I don't give a rat's ass about people talking, talking, heating up the audiences......and quoting Churchill at will (especially those funny circus artists in the post from @Gerard). Because in the end 'they' walked away from having the chance of becoming the natural successor of Churchill. I wish Mrs May a lot of luck. She needs it.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm happy it's May and reasonably optimistic.

I'll be glad when it is August.

It's still all been a political and economic disaster though hasn't it? That's the main thing.

They haven't deported me yet,

They aren't strong on paperwork, they'll be with you shortly.

I doubt that @Ludovico would be affected anyhow as he's Canadian and so not an EU national. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or probably other EU nationals either for that matter though I admit that that's more up in the air at the moment.

Plus, we're not barbarians here on the Sceptered Isle.

I am Canadian correct. One of the reasons why I voted Leave: I find the EU bias of current immigration rules unfair and ultimately anti-immigration.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    London doesn t need the EU. It has the Commonwealth,which is worth far more.

Russia and China will also both gladly negotiate new trade deals.
    If the U.K. could just focus on some manufacturing/engineering/IT prowess in addition to finance & defense, there could be great things ahead, after being rid of the EU shackles. It's not a 'given', but there is opportunity to be had.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,384
    Great watching the aerial shots of London, as the New PM leaves the Palace
    Spotting some Spectre locations, like the Hildebrand safe House. ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Could someone please inform me how Cameron deserves a standing ovation in parliament for presiding over the current shambles?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Jack Ryan ? The Top American agent ? :D

I hear the Queen is excited to Have Theresa May as PM. Because instead of all those formal
    Meetings. Both she and Theresa can run upstairs to her bedroom, jumping on the bed to talk
    About Boys and music !

Or am I being sexist ? :D

No Just A Pratt.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

It's perhaps the biggest responsibility since Churchill kept the UK out of WW II.

Mmm. That's a new one on me.

If the U.K. could just focus on some manufacturing/engineering/IT prowess in addition to finance & defense, there could be great things ahead, after being rid of the EU shackles. It's not a 'given', but there is opportunity to be had.

Agreed.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    stag wrote: »

It's perhaps the biggest responsibility since Churchill kept the UK out of WW II.

Mmm. That's a new one on me.

Indeed. Winston as bad as Blair getting so many of our boys shot on the beaches of Normandy in a war we weren't even in.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Could someone please inform me how Cameron deserves a standing ovation in parliament for presiding over the current shambles?

Oh, well of course it must be the legalising of gay marriage in 2013 that they keep banging on about. Wowsers!
    Boris is the new Foreign secretary ..... what will they think of him ! :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Well for that tune he hummed when doing that press conference the other day "waving" goodbye. That tune made the headlines around the world. The biggest achievement in Cameron's time as PM probably.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    CONSIDER THIS PEOPLE

VISION OF JANUARY 2017

The free world is led by three powerful women:

Theresa May (UK)
    Angela Merkel (EU)
    Hillary Clinton (US)

What a prospect...
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Not to mention IMF head Christine Lagarde & Fed Chair Janet Yellen.
    Interesting times that we live in.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How on earth has British politics managed to move further centre left in the wake of this Brexit vote?! Corbyn is doubling down on his most b*tshit views and the Tories just hire someone 'committed to social justice' and in favour of allowing Islamic courts to operate within the UK. Seriously?! Andrea Leadsom would have made a much better candidate. Another vote for UKIP from me until the conservatives can get their act together and get someone willing to put British values first. Theresa May doesn't even support Brexit, what a trainwreck.
    Leadsom couldn't keep her trap shut. She was the real train wreck!
    Agreed, her comments over children, was the nail in her coffin.
    Glad to see her out of the race and that we have now got a deserving and proper Prime Minister in place with Theresa May.
This discussion has been closed.