The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    Me? I'm reserving judgement on May for a while.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    stag wrote: »
    Me? I'm reserving judgement on May for a while.

The sensible option surely as she hasn't even taken office yet!

Only time will tell how effective Mrs May is as Prime Minister. I wish her every success though in her forthcoming EU Brexit negotiations and in her tenure in the top role in UK politics.
    vzok wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm happy it's May and reasonably optimistic.

I'll be glad when it is August.

It's still all been a political and economic disaster though hasn't it? That's the main thing.

Really? So far the Apocalypse has not exactly happened yet. They haven't deported me yet, a police officer proposed to his boyfriend on the Gay pride parade in London, so the UK hasn't turned into a homophobic Pandemonium, the sterling pound got better...
    bondjames wrote: »
    A new Maggie with a new Ronnie (Donnie) is a recipe for catastrophe imho. I certainly hope both are a little more tempered in their foreign policy outlooks than their illustrious predecessors, although I fear a show of transatlantic strength a'la 1982 might be just what the doctor will order. The 'special relationship' needs reconsummating.

Hopefully, Donnie will not get elected (and BTW he is far worse than Reagan ever was) and thankfully, Theresa May is not Maggie.

edited July 2016 Posts: 17,809
    Reports of the UK's death have been greatly exaggerated. To misquote Gerry Adams (as one should), "We haven't gone away, you know."

It's still all been a political and economic disaster though hasn't it? That's the main thing.

They haven't deported me yet,

They aren't strong on paperwork, they'll be with you shortly.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,809

They haven't deported me yet,

They aren't strong on paperwork, they'll be with you shortly.

I doubt that @Ludovico would be affected anyhow as he's Canadian and so not an EU national. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or probably other EU nationals either for that matter though I admit that that's more up in the air at the moment.

Plus, we're not barbarians here on the Sceptered Isle.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I for one have good feelings about May. I think she's the woman for
    The job ! =D>
  • Basically as it has always been if you live & work, ie pay taxes etc in the UK for 5 or more years you get granted 'leave to remain' status no matter what your nationality.
    Only the criminals will be deported I would imagine and damned rightly so! I know of a few that were...
  • Unless their Billionaires of cause, not naming names, who will be welcomed with open arms, were it ever so..... >:)
    Now that the world is getting invaded by female PM's and presidents, I'd like the weight in by coming up with a Dutch female politician I admire: Mrs Pia Dijkstra. She is a member of the radical centrist party D66 (social-liberal party. 2nd biggest liberal party in The Netherlands after conservative-liberal party VVD of which PM Rutte is member of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrats_66 ). Once she was a news anchor at the Dutch NOS Journaal (equavalent of BBC News). Now she is member of the Dutch House of Representatives, spokeswoman on all issues related to Health Care, Sports and Broad Emancipation. D66 was the party that was fighting very hard for 'marriage to all' in 1999, as we call 'gay marriage' in The Netherlands. Thus resulting in 'marriage for all' in 2001 in The Netherlands.

Pia_0.jpg?itok=ZGwAk7nx
    ANP-DIJKSTRA-HUISHOUDBEURS.jpg?itok=te42GviB
    Pia-Dijkstra-298x234.jpg
    Pia-Dijkstra-politicus-Babet-Hogervorst-078.jpg
    Pia%20Dijkstra%203.JPG?height=402&width=600

I had the opportunity to work for her. And several times I invited her as speaker at rallies at D66 campaign events in the province of Groningen and pro-minority group debates that I have organized (Pro-minority Debates are debates in which I brought gays, Christians, Muslims, and farmers together to talk, debate in peace, understanding and with empathy with each other). It angers me sometimes that women like her are being slammed for being 'contrived establishment gore', whereas she is really empathic, always listens....and if there is one motto that I can uphold more easily with her than with some people in here, then it's the motto of 'Let's agree to disagree'.

She would make a wonderful Prime Minister.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    in which I brought gays, Christians, Muslims, and farmers together to talk, debate in peace, understanding and with empathy with each other

Good for you Gustav old son. It's about time farmers were accepted as equal members of society.

Farmerphobia is a serious problem and it's good to see someone taking it seriously at last.

I'm sure we all remember this outrageous statement made by a BBC Radio Norwich DJ a few years back:

'I'll tell you what. You farmers, you don’t like outsiders, do you? You like to stick to your own. If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there’s a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who’s also your brother.'

Glad to hear the he no longer works for the Beeb and is forced to eke out a living on North Norfolk Digital these days. Serves him right.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    =)) =)) now that's the funniest post I ever read on this site!!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Will her kissing of the Queen's hand, or swearing in, or whatever it is be televised?
    You can't beat AP
    Well, this is how people generally respond in here. I show sincere interest in British politics. But apparently it doesn't work that way the other way around. It's telling.
    in which I brought gays, Christians, Muslims, and farmers together to talk, debate in peace, understanding and with empathy with each other

Good for you Gustav old son. It's about time farmers were accepted as equal members of society.

Farmerphobia is a serious problem and it's good to see someone taking it seriously at last.

I'm sure we all remember this outrageous statement made by a BBC Radio Norwich DJ a few years back:

'I'll tell you what. You farmers, you don’t like outsiders, do you? You like to stick to your own. If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and there’s a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who’s also your brother.'

Glad to hear the he no longer works for the Beeb and is forced to eke out a living on North Norfolk Digital these days. Serves him right.

While not a farmer myself I have many friends who are farmers. I remember this incident quite clearly. It is also best not to forget the farmerphobia shown during a radio between the presenter in question & a leading figure on the farmers rights scene (quote):

"You are a big posh sod with plums in your mouth, and the plums have mutated and they have got beaks. You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in. And in these sheds you have 20ft high chickens, and these chickens are scared because the don't know why they're so big, and they're going, "Oh why am I so massive?" and they're looking down at all the little chickens and they think they're in an aeroplane because all the other chickens are so small. Do you deny that? No, I think his silence speaks volumes."

As said, while not being a farmer myself I am a longtime supporter of the farmers, agricultural workers & fruit pickers community & am hoping to attend the annual pride event in Brighton this coming August bank holiday. Guest speakers will be the cast of Countryfile - it will be a great day so get down there & show your support.

Forummembers? I grew up in a Farmer family, I served with Farmers, I know Farmers, Farmers are friends of mine. Forummembers, you all are no Farmers.

This is the land of my parents, which both my brother and I will inherit in two equal parts:
    UfM5tpu.jpg

Yet, despite the fact that I am proud of being a 'Farmboy'.....I am also gay, a progressive, a social-liberal, a staunch defender of the EU, always looking for cohesion and unity in the real life (outside forums). From the top-down to the bottom-up, from the smallest municipality of Hardenberg, to the province of Overijssel where I was born, to my native country United Kingdom of The Netherlands, and to the European cause of positively uniting Europeans.

Being a Farmer doesn't exclude me from other 'socio-cultural groups' and/or other majorities and minorities. I consider myself a humble, little 'piece of dust' on this great planet Earth. We're all in this together. And together we are always stronger.
  • RC7RC7
    Forummembers? I grew up in a Farmer family, I served with Farmers, I know Farmers, Farmers are friends of mine. Forummembers, you all are no Farmers.

This is the land of my parents, which both my brother and I will inherit in two equal parts:
    UfM5tpu.jpg

Yet, despite the fact that I am proud of being a 'Farmboy'.....I am also gay, a progressive, a social-liberal, a staunch defender of the EU, always looking for cohesion and unity in the real life (outside forums). From the top-down to the bottom-up, from the smallest municipality of Hardenberg, to the province of Overijssel where I was born, to my native country United Kingdom of The Netherlands, and to the European cause of positively uniting Europeans.

Being a Farmer doesn't exclude me from other 'socio-cultural groups' and/or other majorities and minorities. I consider myself a humble, little 'piece of dust' on this great planet Earth. We're all in this together. And together we are always stronger.

'I've seen the big-eared boys on farms'.
    Farmers always holding up traffic with their tractors, and living off of tax payers
    subsidies, getting paid Not to grow crops, keep land un productive ....... I can see
    why Farmers are big fans of the EU :P :D
    RC7 wrote: »

UfM5tpu.jpg

=))
    Farmers always holding up traffic with their tractors, and living off of tax payers
    subsidies, getting paid Not to grow crops, keep land un productive ....... I can see

Actually you're bang on there @Thunderpussy. I retract my previous post. We should round them up and take them to camps. They're vermin. I remember I ran one over once but I didn't kill it, that was the tragedy. Had to go and finish him off with a jack.

:))
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053
    RC7 wrote: »

UfM5tpu.jpg

=))

Actually you're bang on there @Thunderpussy. I retract my previous post. We should round them up and take them to camps. They're vermin. I remember I ran one over once but I didn't kill it, that was the tragedy. Had to go and finish him off with a jack.

Who's Jack & why would you use him to finish off a farmer?

edited July 2016 Posts: 13,384
    Jack Ryan ? The Top American agent ? :D

I hear the Queen is excited to Have Theresa May as PM. Because instead of all those formal
    Meetings. Both she and Theresa can run upstairs to her bedroom, jumping on the bed to talk
    About Boys and music !

Or am I being sexist ? :D
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053

I hear the Queen is excited to Have Theresa May as PM. Because instead of all those formal
    Meetings. Both she and Theresa can run upstairs to her bedroom, jumping on the bed to talk
    About Boys and music !

Isn't using Jack Ryan a tad excessive? I mean humanely dispatching the average farmer is a task which could easily be left to Jack Duckworth?

As for the other thing it was widely reported at the time that this sort of relationship existed between the Queen & Maggie Thatcher. According to the Sunday Sport they used to spend hours together taping the top forty from the radio (minus talking). All was well until in a fit of pique after HMQ had forgotten to press play when Emperor Rosco had introduced the number one single - Joe Dolce - Thatcher drew glasses & a mustache on HMQs prized Donny Osmond poster. I think Her Majesty will be wary of any such collaboration in the future &, let's face it, who can blame her?

:)) Good old Jack Duckworth one of Britain's best agents, in a very down market
    Bond, sort of way.
    stag wrote: »

About Boys and music !

Isn't using Jack Ryan a tad excessive? I mean humanely dispatching the average farmer is a task which could easily be left to Jack Duckworth?

Just don't leave it to Jack Wilshere. Useless twat would break a bone and crumple in a heap.
    Bond, sort of way.

Pint of Newton & Ridley chuck, shaken not stirred.
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    Bond, sort of way.
    -Oh!--whatever for A Duck's Worth....!?!
    It seems odd after watching many old 60s TV shows, how Downing street, was open to
    The public. You could walk past it :D ... how times have changed.
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    -Yes, I can remember, even down and outs was close, and the PM almost stumbled overmyself once-the policeman saw me and -low and behold -"LOL"-!-so close did I have my ears to the ground...!
This discussion has been closed.