The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The UK is like the rebel alliance, fighting the Empire (EU) ;) which means
    Nigel Farage was Han Solo :D
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 389
    More like senator palpatine (Darth Sidious) affecting the senate from within. :D
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I say put Her Majesty back in charge for a while ;)
    She never left
    :)
  • Gove is gone. Now it's between the ladies, think Leadsom's comment that she "Didn't really like the laws that legalised gay marriage" will harm her. I think May's a shoo-in now as I said before.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,384
    May wouldn't have been my choice but as pointed out, I think it's a given that
    She's the new PM. ( Unless we're in for another big shock !) :))

Although she did fall asleep listening to Cameron on the Chilcot report
    Gove is gone. Now it's between the ladies, think Leadsom's comment that she "Didn't really like the laws that legalised gay marriage" will harm her. I think May's a shoo-in now as I said before.

Like you said before? :-P :

Dragonpol wrote: »
    Theresa May MP's speech from yesterday, Thursday 30 June 2016, on running for the next Prime Minister of the UK:

You know, I am not a conservative. I will never be. Because as long as I live I consider myself a progressive, which is exactly the opposite of conservative.

Yet, by listening to Theresa May's speech in full, I hear a woman that is perhaps the most progressive voice within the Conservative Party. She says herself that she isn't necessarily an idealist, but her speech oozes a new kind, more empathic, more progressive, more inclusive and more social conservatism. And that in itself is a new kind of idealism, that not just the UK needs, but all countries in Europe and North-America.

Theresa May has the necessary temperament that in my opinion not just Boris Johnson lacked, but also David Cameron. She has a warm, empathic voice. And although she isn't the pub visitor that Boris is, I really would love to have an intense, empathic discussion with her about the future of Europe. We might not agree! On many things we mind disagree. But to me she comes across as a woman that dares to negotiate and is even open about some other policy points that I would have.

This is the first time I hear a politician critisising the heart of establishment politics, but she isn't doing that in a way that current divisive populists or demagogues are doing (Donald Trump, Geert Wilders, Nigel Farage). She is critisising establishment politics.....like I would do: Firm, but not in a poisonous way. Strict, but not by blatantly slamming them with divisive and xenophobic wordings. And indirectly she upholds a certain respect for one of the three fundamental powers from the Trias Politica: The Government. A respect that we don't hear anymore these days. 'Governing' means representing people and listening to people. It doesn't mean that it's a despised elitist institution or solely an institution of power. Theresa May knows that.

Here is the part of her quote I liked most. She knows the Kingdom isn't just an Elite Kingdom, White Kingdom, Black Kingdom, Worker Class Kingdom or Muslim Kingdom. No, she stands for the United Kingdom:
    "But the mission to make this a country for everyone, goes further than fighting these [class, racial, sexual, generational] injustices. If you're from an ordinary, working-class family, life is just much harder than many people in politics realize. You have a job, but you don't always have job security. You have your own home, but you worry about mortgage rates going up. You can just about manage, but you worry about the cost of living. And the quality of the local school, because there is no other choice for you. Frankly, not everybody in Westminster understands what it is to live like this. And some need to be told that what the government does, isn't a game. It is a serious business, that has real consequences for people's lives."

Dear forummembers? Please all utter your support for Theresa May. You can't vote for her, but especially now a strong new leader especially needs strong support. Theresa May it is for me :-).
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad to see Michael Gove go. Not unexpected of course as he had cut one too many throats and so alienated any support he may have had in the Conservative parliamentary party. I really don't know who to support now out of the remaining two female candidates. Probably Andrea Leadsom (as the Brexiteer) if push came to shove but no doubt Theresa May will be the winner in the end - as Home Secretary (one of the 'Great Offices of State') for over six years she certainly comes with the requisite ministerial experience for the demanding role of Prime Minister. Leadsom has little experience in comparison and is not even a member of the Cabinet, merely a junior minister.

Ultimately I wish whoever is the winner well - they most certainly have their work cut out for them and like some that went before (John Major, Gordon Brown) they may find the top job in British politics something of a poisoned chalice in the wake of the Brexit vote and all that that entails.
  • Well BJ's not running, after Gove throws his hat in the ring, Et tu, Brute? >:)

May's a shoo-in. me thinks a deal between May & Gove is most likely outcome to avoid anymore animosity.

For @Gustav_Graves. [-X
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,779
    Members might find this analysis of the race for the Tory leadership/premiership somewhat amusing :

Ken Clarke caught criticising Tory leadership candidates "off-air" with Malcolm Rifkind -

:)) Yes, I watched that, very funny
    Some up-to-date information on the May v Leadsom leadership race on the BBC News website here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36737426
    I agree a general election must be called before Article 50 is triggered. the next PM needs to be democratically elected.
    One of the political shows said it would be a first if we ended up with.
    A female Conservative leader, a Labour female leader and a female
    President of America. ....... it's a good thing Silvio Berlusconi isn't about
    As he'd be up for a few "bunga bunga parties" :D

They are all too old for him. Unless they elect 16 year old Lolita PM Berlusconi won't even be interested.

Oh and on a more serious note the more I hear about Theresa May the happier I am about her as PM. I never voted conservative in my life, not in the UK not anywhere but Lib Dem has lost my vote with their refusal to recognize the results of the referendum and Labour has lost it a long time ago since Iraq. So by default and because May seems to be a "modern" conservative I might actually vote Tory in the next election. Which I hope will be soon.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I agree a general election must be called before Article 50 is triggered. the next PM needs to be democratically elected.
    One of the political shows said it would be a first if we ended up with.
    A female Conservative leader, a Labour female leader and a female
    President of America. ....... it's a good thing Silvio Berlusconi isn't about
    As he'd be up for a few "bunga bunga parties" :D

They are all too old for him. Unless they elect 16 year old Lolita PM Berlusconi won't even be interested.

Oh and on a more serious note the more I hear about Theresa May the happier I am about her as PM. I never voted conservative in my life, not in the UK not anywhere but Lib Dem has lost my vote with their refusal to recognize the results of the referendum and Labour has lost it a long time ago since Iraq. So by default and because May seems to be a "modern" conservative I might actually vote Tory in the next election. Which I hope will be soon.

The amount the Tories spend on election campaigns when all they ever needed for victory were Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn. Who knew it was so simple?
    I know I know. Although if nothing else a duel May-Corbyn would be interesting.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2016 Posts: 8,073
    Leadsom may not be the smartest or the most qualified candidate, but she, like Trump, has a lot of common sense. That's what the west needs, more common sense. To much of politics has become very high minded over the past few decades. We spend months deliberating over a given issue when what we need is swift decisive action. That why Leadsom, as a Brexit supporter, deserves the Job. We had to stop the problems of muslims and immigrants, and simply leaving the EU and closing the borders is the most quick effective solution. Plus, it has restored a much needed sense of national pride. After all, the EU was only ever about shaming nation states into thinking we weren't good enough on their own. Leadsom doesn't complicate things with moralities, just simple effective results. That's the role of politicians in society. Leave the morals to the citizens, we can work that out for ourselves, we don't need civil servants for that.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    We had to stop the problems of muslims

Eh?
    We had to stop the problems of muslims

Eh?

Same thought.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I understand where you're coming from @Mendes4Lyfe. There is a practical business minded-ness to Trump and Leadsom that is refreshing and it's because they have both spent time in the private sector in highly demanding roles. It's a take no prisoners world where you have to get results.

I agree that I would prefer not to have politicians preaching morals to me either. They should just get on with the job of making the lot better for the average citizen.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Leadsom is a traditionist. That's something I can get behind. May on the other hand is accepting of social justice and multiculturalism. I think this Brexit vote was also a vote to know that we don't want her brand of politics anymore, the Blairite/Cameron centre position which tries to appease both sides by spreading itself thin. Labour has gone back to its roots, we now need Leadsom, a traditionist conservative PM who will stand for british values.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    New Labour is obviously dead, and not a moment too soon.

Cameron came at it from the right, also attempting to create a third way of sorts. A sort of compassionate conservatism. This 'middle ground' seems to work electorally (he did win last year after all and Blair won 3 times).

There is an increasing polarization these days around the extremes that is somewhat unhealthy. While I agree that Leadsom is at least more ideologically pure, perhaps at this point in the nation's history a pragmatist is what is required. May fits that bill.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/breaking-andrea-leadsom-drops-leadership-race/
    Andrea Leadsom seems to be dropping out of the race for Conservative leader.
    And in Labour The Eagle has Landed ........ in a bid for the leadership.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Yeah, she's out. So that went faster than expected.Wonder how that goes down with the fan base.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 1,661
    At least George Lazenby had the grace to appear in one Bond film. He didn't quit the race before filming started! Andrea Leadsom didn't even try to stick it out. ;))

Boris Johnson for next Bond! Say no to Tom Hiddleston! b-(
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Theresa May confirmed as new leader of the Tories.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm no Tory far from it but this is the smart move, get your new PM established and strike while the iron is hot, Labour is complete dissaray and the time to get all your ducks in a row for a forthcoming General Election is soon as possible within reason. I'm thinking next Spring is a possibilty as some have already suggested in the media.

Having a PM in power who wasn't voted in by the public especially one that wasn't on the side that won the referendum is dangerous. May needs to call it win it and get things moving as well as trying to reunite the country and give the everyone a picture of a bright future. I was no leaver but there is too much a stake for me to sit there smug saying I told you so later down the line, I don't want that kind of future, if it works and is successful I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about my perception of the result.

I'm not sure about the idea of voting Conservative the idea at the moment makes me violently ill but there is no credible oppostion and Andrea Eagle doesn't give me much confidence. It's certainly going to be a decison I will deliberate over for sometime.

I like Corbyn as a man he has principles, I personally think more MP's should be relatable to the masses instead of coming out of University straight into the city with high paying jobs with no idea of real life experience, though this is the way things work and it's unlikely to change in my life time so I guess I just need to suck it up and get on with it.

I just don't think that Labour can steady the ship and be ready for what is likely to be a rather swift General Election. The only fear is UKIP taking the seats from Labour and getting more of a foot hold, having a Government then the oppostion being more right wing than the Tories is a terrifying thought.

Here's to a successful future for the country.

• Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    edited July 2016 Posts: 299
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm no Tory far from it but this is the smart move, get your new PM established and strike while the iron is hot, Labour is complete dissaray and the time to get all your ducks in a row for a forthcoming General Election is soon as possible within reason. I'm thinking next Spring is a possibilty as some have already suggested in the media.

Right now Tories an Labour seem not so far away from one another in terms of disarray, the former are only already in power. We'll see how much support May actually has once we get tosee what kind of deal she can strike with the EU. And how well that sits with the Brexiters. Way to go.

The force of May, be with you ! :D
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,779
    So I wonder when will Theresa May take over as Prime Minister and Conservative Party leader? Will it be immediately or will we still have to wait until 9th September 2016? May certainly has my backing over the loathsoime Leadsom.
    Apparently there are a few traditional / political hoops to go through, like getting the
    Queens approval etc, but I think around 48 hours is thought to be the sort of time.
    Yes, the Queen is at Balmoral but returns to London tomorrow. I think it's better this way than a long drawn out thing.
This discussion has been closed.