The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

Either way - general election before crimbo - interest rate cut - Bank of England artificially pumping new money into the system and another recession for sure. Could be worse, could be the English football team.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Sanchairs wrote: »
    Either way - general election before crimbo - interest rate cut - Bank of England artificially pumping new money into the system and another recession for sure. Could be worse, could be the English football team.

General election it must be. It's debatable whether people will actually send a more efficient and professional set of politicians to Whitehall this time. But it's absolutely impossible they will elect a worse government. This last week must have opened everybody's eyes what a bunch of defective irresponsible morons governed our fates.

I agree a general election must be called before Article 50 is triggered. the next PM needs to be democratically elected.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It appears that Andrea Leadsom is pulling in support that was previously with Boris & may end up the primary competitor (and Brexit backer) to Theresa May for the leadership, particularly after Iain Duncan Smith's endorsement.

Gove, as assassin responsible for both Cameron & Johnson's demise, may have made too many enemies to progress much.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    There have been so many subtitles put over that piece of footage on You Tube over the years! :D

Maybe one might find suitable subtitels for that fellow. Yes, this video has been done with so many subtitles on YouTube, but he is funny...

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2016 Posts: 17,801
    Some interesting reading matter that Theresa May's camp managed to get cut from The Daily Telegraph:

http://order-order.com/2016/07/02/read-full-article-pulled-telegraph-pressure-may-campaign/
  • There will be NO general election this year as it would further undermine confidence, imagine another campaign so soon, we on here may be politically engaged, but the populous as a whole are not, could you see candidates trying to enthuse the people when all most will be discussing is the new season of Strictly/X-factor. :(
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    There will be NO general election this year as it would further undermine confidence, imagine another campaign so soon, we on here may be politically engaged, but the populous as a whole are not, could you see candidates trying to enthuse the people when all most will be discussing is the new season of Strictly/X-factor. :(

I agree. A general election at this point would damage no one but the British people & if Labour won would most likely mean a reversal of the referendum - IMO this is why some sections are championing the idea. The Tories are under no obligation to call an election & have already been given a mandate so - again IMO - best that they get on with the job at hand. Getting us out of the EU.

BTW I have being saying he same about all the folks who would rather vote for reality TV than anything else.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 299
    There will be NO general election this year as it would further undermine confidence, imagine another campaign so soon, we on here may be politically engaged, but the populous as a whole are not, could you see candidates trying to enthuse the people when all most will be discussing is the new season of Strictly/X-factor. :(

Problem is it's likely going to be May and May is already strongly disliked by the Brexiters. No matter what deal she'll bring home, most Brexiters will suspect her of betrayal. Confidence went out of the window that Friday morning anyway when both sides had zero plan to offer to the public. If on that day somebody would have stepped forward with a plan, a roadmap how to proceed and what to expect, now that would have built confidence and supported that cause. The opposite happened, Boris ducked and covered, Cameron wallowed in self-pity, major claims were debunked, Gove honed his knife. That May is now expected to dance to the music is just a joke.

As for the damage, that is done now. A few weeks of campaigning won't make much difference . The parties can align themselves along the lines and actually see which candidates best reflect the qualities necessary now.

Meanwhile perhaps a bit of mainstream coverage will illustrate what I'm banging on about here:

Theresa May has rejected rivals' claims that the next Tory leader must have supported a Leave vote in the EU referendum - saying people want more than "a Brexit prime minister".
    The home secretary promised to bring the Remain and Leave sides together and "govern for the whole country".
    But Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove both said the winning candidate must have backed Brexit.
    Candidates have been setting out their stalls in a series of interviews.
    Mr Gove, the justice secretary, defended his tactics in the face of criticism, telling Andrew Marr it would have been a "betrayal of this country" if he had allowed Boris Johnson to run.

The leadership contest was triggered by David Cameron's decision to step down by October after he was defeated in the EU referendum.
    Like the PM, Mrs May campaigned for a Remain vote, saying during the campaign EU membership made the UK more secure.
    But she told ITV's Peston on Sunday it was "not a question of 'what was your view 10 days ago'", promising to reconcile both sides of the debate and "move forwards".
    While talks to extract the UK from the EU and to strike trade deals would be "hugely important", she said people were "not looking for a prime minister who is just a Brexit prime minister, but a prime minister who can govern for the whole of the country".
    The home secretary has a comfortable lead among MP nominations over her rivals Mrs Leadsom, Mr Gove, Stephen Crabb and Liam Fox.
    But she dismissed suggestions that others should stand aside to present a unity candidate, saying she wanted a "contest" and that it was important party members "have their opportunity to have a say".

Mrs May dismissed an early general election for the new prime minister as "another destabilising factor" for the economy, and said the status of EU migrants living in the UK - and of Britons living elsewhere in Europe - would be one of the factors to be negotiated as part of the exit package.
    She also said the UK had to finalise its "negotiating stance" before formally triggering the UK's departure from the EU by invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.
    But speaking on the Andrew Marr show, Mrs Leadsom said the UK should "get on with it".
    Mrs Leadsom, the pro-Brexit energy minister, faced questions about a 2013 speech in which she said leaving the EU would be "a disaster for our economy".

Mr Gove, the justice secretary, made the same point in an interview in which he also responded to anger at last week's dramatic u-turn in turning on Boris Johnson and announcing he would stand for leader himself.
    Mr Gove said his former ally had "ducked" crucial decisions and failed to show the qualities needed to take over from David Cameron, saying he reached his decision "very late" on Wednesday night.
    He said: "I knew that by taking that decision all sorts of people would attack me personally but I love my country, I could not recommend that Boris was prime minister, I had tried to make that work and, therefore, it would have been a genuine betrayal of principal and of this country to have allowed Boris's candidacy to go ahead with my support."
    Mr Crabb warned of deep divisions in the Conservative Party if his colleagues continue to describe themselves as "Leave" or "Remain".
    "I tell you, if we allow this leadership contest to be seen just through the prism of whether you are 'Leave' or 'Remain' we risk splitting the party - mark my words," the work and pensions secretary, who campaigned for a Remain vote, told Peston on Sunday.
    Mr Fox, who backed Leave, said he remained hopeful of gaining enough MPs' signatures to make it onto the ballot. He said it was possible for the winning candidate to be someone who backed Remain but suggested they would be taken less seriously in EU negotiations as a result.
    'Mandate' to lead
    In Sunday newspaper articles, Mr Gove and Mrs Leadsom emphasised the need for the next prime minister to have backed Leave in the referendum.
    Mr Gove told The Sunday Times only someone who had backed Brexit would have the "mandate" to lead.
    Mrs Leadsom told the Sunday Telegraph that it "would be odd" to have a leader who did not believe in leaving the EU.
    Former defence secretary Mr Fox, who also campaigned for Leave, also spoke to the Sunday Telegraph and said he would increase defence spending if he became leader of the party.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36696908

This just to show what kind of climate May will likely face if she should become PM. Without general elections any name up there will meet with the same kind of opposition, none will be able to get the necessary wider support for the job at hand. Which in turn will not make negotiations one bit easier. Elections are by and far the preferable way to get this. Yep, they're another couple of months of rallies but then at least you have a clear picture.

And just so we learn something about nation's favourite suicide bomber (not me words, mind ye) here's an article that did appear and wasn't pulled on anybody's pressure.

'Boris was blown up by a political psychopath but it was Mrs Gove who detonated the bomb'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3671749/RACHEL-JOHNSON-Mrs-Gove-detonated-bomb-blew-Boris.html
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 389
    I am a leave voter, but as such I think there are distinct parallels with the invation of Iraq, regime change with no exit plan is a recipe for disaster. I only hope that a new PM can be selected soon & a proper plan can be formulated.

BTW, to whom it may concern, I'm here to advise if anyone in government wants to ask, my organisation is at your disposal. ;)
    If Boris, as Heseltine & Gove have inferred, wasn't completely into Brexit, then I have to say he has disgraced himself. It's crucial at this historic moment to have the courage of one's convictions, and moreover, to know what those convictions are.

This referendum is quickly separating the children from the adults it seems.
    Don't expect courage from a so-called buffoon. Michael Gove is the man for the job of PM but he sadly doesn't come with clean hands as they say in Equity. According to today's Press it's probably going to be between the two women...

michael-gove.jpg?w=400
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 389
    I can't say the thought of another female PM is not appealing, the last time I was so much better off financially, I met Margaret once, a great & imposing leader, the last strong British politician before she went slightly mad because of all the internal back stabing & as for Heseltine, he's as relevant as fly shit on my windscreen, hopefully the new lady will also be 'not for turning'. :D
    edited July 2016 Posts: 299
    I am a leave voter, but as such I think there are distinct parallels with the invation of Iraq, regime change with no exit plan is a recipe for disaster. I only hope that a new PM can be selected soon & a proper plan can be formulated.

BTW, to whom it may concern, I'm here to advise if anyone in government wants to ask, my organisation is at your disposal. ;)

This. The irony of it is how Mac and his Beth may have had the closest thing to a plan. Only it didn't reach further than to Boris' chest. Which makes one wonder about their overall ability to judge any kind of social interaction.

Contrary to others though I don't believe what prevents Gove's further adventures in the realm of the so-called Conservative party would be his smarmy sticky hands or the strong reek of blood, death and ambition around him. Others have not been stopped by this, why would he?

No, what ended his path was just the fact you won't find any more characters willing to turn their backs on him. And a one man party is just that.

You better stay close to your phone, sailor. For the next few years.
    ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If Francis Urqhart was on the ticket I can imagine a few here would probably vote for him.

I have to say all these comments in the media about the Tory Party making House of Cards look like Teletubbies are a little ridiculous.

I'm not aware that Michael Gove has flung any journalists off the top of the Houses of Parliament as part of his big plan to oust Boris and position himself to have a go at leadership.

Yes I know they are alluding to the Netflix version but some of what has played out this week could have come right out of the original and better BBC version.

Though if any one is looking for a role model for Lord Charles then Francis Urqhart doesn't seem far from a comparison, all the double dealing, back stabbling and political chicanery that has gone on would indeed make FU proud.

I remember also Urqhart had an American not Australian Media Chief helping pulling the strings for him, have the Goves's been getting their ideas from Michael Dobbs & Andrew Davies?

"You might well think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
    Me, I'm more thinkin of "The New Statesman" by watching that. Especially the last episode.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Me, I'm more thinkin of "The New Statesman" by watching that. Especially the last episode.

As opposed to the Labour Party journal?

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Only my opinion but the Labour party seem to be full of spineless wimps, plenty
    Of MPs complaining about Corbyn but none with the actual balls to come out
    and stand against him ! Which to me at least proves, none of them has the guts to
    Be a Prime Minister. The Labour party should get used to a long, long time In
    Opposition.
    Only my opinion but the Labour party seem to be full of spineless wimps, plenty
    Of MPs complaining about Corbyn but none with the actual balls to come out
    and stand against him ! Which to me at least proves, none of them has the guts to
    Be a Prime Minister. The Labour party should get used to a long, long time In
    Opposition.

The best place possible for the Labour Party is the wilderness of (very weak) Opposition.

And you're right they are a spineless lot. It was exactly the same in the Labour Party back when Gordon Brown was Prime Minister and all the rumbling of a coup that went on with names like David Miliband, Alan Johnson and Jack Straw being cited as rival leadership contenders but none of them having the bottle to stand against the coronated Brown even when things had gone from bad to worse in his premiership (by 2008 or so).
    :)) This woman Eagle keeps getting ready to announce she's standing ..... but
    Doesn't :))
    :)) This woman Eagle keeps getting ready to announce she's standing ..... but
    Doesn't :))

Will the Eagle ever take flight or has it crash Landed? ;)
    One of the political shows said it would be a first if we ended up with.
    A female Conservative leader, a Labour female leader and a female
    President of America. ....... it's a good thing Silvio Berlusconi isn't about
    As he'd be up for a few "bunga bunga parties" :D
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Don't forget a female leader in Germany and (possibly) one in France too.
    As Nigel Farage stands down, I've my fingers crossed that Bob Geldof
    Will also retire ! :))
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

You and I both pussy you and I both. ;))

Yes, I'm sure that the EU will be big enough to hold him and his massive ego! :D
    Don't expect courage from a so-called buffoon. Michael Gove is the man for the job of PM but he sadly doesn't come with clean hands as they say in Equity. According to today's Press it's probably going to be between the two women...

michael-gove.jpg?w=400

So you finally understand now why choosing Michael Gove is in essence a choice for a huge multi-headed Cameron-Johnson-Farage beast?

REAL NEW leadership please. Theresa May.
    Campbell2 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36696908

This just to show what kind of climate May will likely face if she should become PM. Without general elections any name up there will meet with the same kind of opposition, none will be able to get the necessary wider support for the job at hand. Which in turn will not make negotiations one bit easier. Elections are by and far the preferable way to get this. Yep, they're another couple of months of rallies but then at least you have a clear picture.

And just so we learn something about nation's favourite suicide bomber (not me words, mind ye) here's an article that did appear and wasn't pulled on anybody's pressure.

'Boris was blown up by a political psychopath but it was Mrs Gove who detonated the bomb'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3671749/RACHEL-JOHNSON-Mrs-Gove-detonated-bomb-blew-Boris.html

I've seen this before you know? It was with the new Dutch far-right wing party LPF (List Pim Fortuyn). After he was killed by a lunatic leftist back in 2002, just days before the Parliament Elections, the LPF gained 26 seats (from 0 seats to 26). But with it came a huge leadership crisis. And a lot of Italian-esque verbal fighting and governments that fell even quicker than the average Italian government. Even the current PVV (Party Of Freedom), which was founded back in 2005 on the ashes of the LPF, has got the biggest problems when it comes to...........'temperament'. If it wasn't for Geert Wilders autoritarian style of leadership, one has to captain a ship full of right-wing retards, emotional narcists and screaming demagogues. In a way....I see the same thing happening with today's British politics.

The Tories may have a lot of seats. But like the old Dutch and Danish Christian Democrats -who are already nullified as of today) and the American GOP, the Tories now have a populist horse of Troje bullying the more sane, rational and pragmatic Conservatives. And you may have your Brexit now, but as long as the middle class keeps crumbling and the poorer people keep growing in number, the current immigration debate is far from over.

michael-gove.jpg?w=400

So you finally understand now why choosing Michael Gove is in essence a choice for a huge multi-headed Cameron-Johnson-Farage beast?

No, I most definitely don't understand your point here or agree with your liberal view that Theresa May should be the next PM. Please don't put words in my mouth. Theresa May didn't have the bottle to come out and campaign for a LEAVE vote but now she wants to benefit from it and David Cameron's resignation to be our next Prim,e Minister. I've one word for her: "pathetic".

michael-gove.jpg?w=400

No, I most definitely don't understand your point here or agree with your liberal view that Theresa May should be the next PM. Please don't put words in my mouth. Theresa May didn't have the bottle to come out and campaign for a LEAVE vote but now she wants to benefit from it and David Cameron's resignation to be our next Prim,e Minister. I've one word for her: "pathetic".

Yet you refuse to see that the pivotal "Leave"-campaigners, Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage, are bowing out like dogs with their tails between their legs.

You can say a lot of Theresa May, but at least she's willing to lead after the Brexit, whereas Boris and Nigel only think of fellow party members bullying them and.....a holiday on a big, luxury island of the Seychelles.

It may seem that the some "Remain" politicians are willing to embrace the consequences of a Brexit in a much more dispassionate and realistic way. Theresa May is one of them.
This discussion has been closed.