The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought May made a great speech outside Number 10, about bringing the
    Country together. Very like Churchill :)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I thought May made a great speech outside Number 10, about bringing the
    Country together. Very like Churchill :)

Indeed, a very strong speech. Impassioned, even.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Did anyone notice Osborne sneaking out the back door?

'Resigned' apparently! Err no George you were sacked. If you were going to resign you had plenty of time to do it not leave it to 5 minutes after your first meeting with Teresa.

Still these people think we are retards. The guy was sacked so why can't they just say it?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    How on earth has British politics managed to move further centre left in the wake of this Brexit vote?! Corbyn is doubling down on his most b*tshit views and the Tories just hire someone 'committed to social justice' and in favour of allowing Islamic courts to operate within the UK. Seriously?! Andrea Leadsom would have made a much better candidate. Another vote for UKIP from me until the conservatives can get their act together and get someone willing to put British values first. Theresa May doesn't even support Brexit, what a trainwreck.

I'm glad I don't know you socially from your views.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    May has made some superb moves in naming her cabinet. I like what I see so far.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    bondjames wrote: »
    Let's see how she does. It's too early to judge and to tell. Rhetoric is one thing (and politicians are fantastic at that) but governing is something else entirely and she will be tested. If she delivers, then she has a long future ahead of her. If she fails, she will be trounced. The public is increasingly restless, impatient & in need of new ideas and solutions.

Well said. We shall see. Some things are seeming not so great and speeches need to be followed by deeds, of course.

Really guys....Boris Johnson as Minister of Foreign Affairs? :|

The Pound has gained massive ground against the euro and dollar
    ( Against all the experts predictions )
    The Bank of England, says it doesn't need to cut interest rates.
    ( Against all the predictions of these same experts )
    Seems these experts, have a terrible record on getting things right !
    They couldn't even see the massive depression, the Banks brought
    About. :))
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    The Pound has gained massive ground against the euro and dollar
    ( Against all the experts predictions )
    The Bank of England, says it doesn't need to cut interest rates.
    ( Against all the predictions of these same experts )
    Seems these experts, have a terrible record on getting things right !
    They couldn't even see the massive depression, the Banks brought
    About. :))

You will not see the actual pricetag until 5 to 10 years from now when the actual costs
    could be throughly accounted for..!..(..what is it that makes an idiot an idiot?!-The Idiots Denials..!)..!

London doesn t need the EU. It has the Commonwealth,which is worth far more.

Russia and China will also both gladly negotiate new trade deals.

And the Commonwealth actually promotes democracy and good government. Both borderline foreign to the EU.

On a side note, Theresa May seems to be a remarkably Machiavellian politician.
    The fruit of the tree, has but only to glance at the sun, for the kitten to
    Come, as life sweetens ready to confuse the wealth. The king is wise
    To listen as singing is to swim in the sounds of discourse over the
    Belief of the wise dancers of mystery.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Just check the tweets from below link (also embedded in this article http://nos.nl/artikel/2117556-aanstelling-boris-johnson-roept-hoon-en-afschuw-op.html
    ):

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WATCH: <a href="https://twitter.com/StateDept">@StateDept</a>; Deputy Spokesman <a href="https://twitter.com/toner_mark">@toner_mark</a>; react to <a href="https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson">@BorisJohnson</a>'s appointment as Foreign Secretary.<a href="https://t.co/7Fu6OW1jSx">https://t.co/7Fu6OW1jSx</a></p>&mdash; CSPAN (@cspan) <a href=" 13, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WATCH: <a href="https://twitter.com/StateDept">@StateDept</a>; Deputy Spokesman <a href="https://twitter.com/toner_mark">@toner_mark</a>; react to <a href="https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson">@BorisJohnson</a>'s appointment as Foreign Secretary.<a href="https://t.co/7Fu6OW1jSx">https://t.co/7Fu6OW1jSx</a></p>&mdash; CSPAN (@cspan) <a href=" 13, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Phew!<br>Just when Britain was starting to become a laughing stock around the world,<br>Boris Johnson is appointed foreign secretary.</p>— Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) <a href=" 13, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Boris Johnson is in charge of MI6.<br><br>Boris Johnson is James Bond's boss.<br><br>This is worse than Quantum of Solace.</p>— Scott Townsend (@scottyt77) <a href=" 13, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That great political intellectual Ricky ! :))
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    In the spirit of recent posts, I thought I'd post this award winning limerick from none other than the new foreign secretary, on Erdogan of Turkey. Apparently he won a thousand quid for his eloquent efforts.

I'm quite certain any visits to Turkey during his term will require some advance diplomatic bootlicking.

"There was a young fellow from Ankara
    Who was a terrific wankerer
    Till he sowed his wild oats
    With the help of a goat
    But he didn’t even stop to thankera."
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Don't you just love expert opinions from celebrities? Don't know where I'd be if Ricky Gervais wasn't there to put things right.
    I wonder how many people with a medical problem would seek medical
    Advice, or just ask a Celebrity what's wrong. As we all know Celebrities
    Are processionals at all aspects of life. :))

-Before there was a MEDICAL PROBLEM, NOBODY did know that they had any MEDICAL PROBLEM-...!

Before COMPUTING, NOBODY did know they had a COMPUTING PROBLEM...!

Just do the math' will You...!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,384
    No matter how sweet the smile of the sun, the cat still has its
    Kittens under the porch.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    If it cheers @Gustav up to laugh at Boris then that's fine by me. Brexit is still going ahead.
    " They laughed when I said I wanted to be a comedian.......
    ........... Well, they're not laughing now !". Bob Monkhouse. :)
    Boris is going to keep things interesting and his future political aspirations are still, at least for the time being, intact. I'm glad he's the foreign secretary pick. It's a signal to the EU that Britain is open 'globally' for business first and foremost.
    Boris is one of the few British politicians who's known world wide, and
    Loved , so I expect him to be a great foreign Secretary, and can see
    Countries lining up to get a visit from him. ;)
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I wonder if the Argentinians laughed when Maggie thatcher was apointed PM? If so all that latino machismo was soon to be turned on its head. (I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Maggie was being briefed by head of MI6)

It would be unwise to underestimate Boris. In the kill or be killed world AKA as British politics only the most astute rise to the surface.

Meanwhile I'm just waiting for that other renowned political commentator/celebrity Katie Price to give us an in depth analysis of the prevailing situation.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,384
    True what would we know what to think if Celebs didn't tell us.
    I think Theresa May, is a very clever politician, she may have done
    This to keep Boris under control, then when weakened , she can
    Get rid of him. ;)

-Before there was a MEDICAL PROBLEM, NOBODY did know that they had any MEDICAL PROBLEM-...!

Before COMPUTING, NOBODY did know they had a COMPUTING PROBLEM...!

Just do the math' will You...!
    [/quote

-Before BREXIT, NOBODY of BREXIT did know they had a BORIS J PROBLEM..!

(Just do the math' will You..!..).
    When your sleigh is being chased by wolves, throw them a raisin cookie, but don't stop to bake a cake.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm disappointed that May didn't hire Leadsom or Farage to help with Brexit negotiations. We need a probrexit force at the discussion table.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Boris is going to keep things interesting and his future political aspirations are still, at least for the time being, intact. I'm glad he's the foreign secretary pick. It's a signal to the EU that Britain is open 'globally' for business first and foremost.

You sometimes make it look as if there's only the UK and a new country called EU.

There are also: The Netherlands, Sweden, France, Germany.......just to name a few other sovereign countries.

By the way, it's lovely to see Brits in here being so positive. But we're only one month after Brexit. 6 months from now we will have a better picture on how Brexit will influence the British economy. Don't cheer just yet.

http://nos.nl/nieuwsuur/artikel/2117578-brexit-heeft-grote-gevolgen-voor-britse-economie.html?title=brexit-heeft-grote-gevolgen-voor-britse-economie
    Same scare stories we had before, during and now after Brexit :))
    Here's an idea, if a tactic doesn't work change to another ! :))
    But the EU way is "it's broke, let's not fix it " :D
    Same scare stories we had before, during and now after Brexit :))
    Here's an idea, if a tactic doesn't work change to another ! :))
    But the EU way is "it's broke, let's not fix it " :D

We have to see the UK tactic which has been so far that nothing is going to change only that what the Uk wants to change which is immigration and free access to the common market. We will see what the other remaining members will say about that one veto is enough.

This discussion has been closed.