The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    One question: How will Brexit influence Pinewood Studio's and...for us very important.....EON Productions? How would Barbara Broccoli & Michael Wilson look at Brexit?

-I think Their main holdings are mainly ouside the scope of Brexit; the international connections are compartmentalized separately in each project, it can swiftly be rearanged except for a few things, everything can mostly continue as before.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I can see the Labour party splitting.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    One question: How will Brexit influence Pinewood Studio's and...for us very important.....EON Productions? How would Barbara Broccoli & Michael Wilson look at Brexit?

I don't think they'll look at Brexit in any context other than the UKs continuing ability to provide them with the facilities & expertise to which they have grown accustomed. I'm sure they could have filmed Bond cheaper in many places over the years so perhaps economics in its most naked form isn't the be all & end all of the matter.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree. There will always be countries in the EU wanting a Bond movie to be filmed there. Costs may change, but at the end of the day, EON will adjust accordingly as they always do.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    When the situation in the UK has been too expensive they have simply gone elsewhere. MR and LTK the notable examples.

I wouldn't be too worried.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I can see the Labour party splitting.

Yes, I agree but I don't see either side being powerful enough in time for the next election. UKIP will show big gains because they had 6 million votes last time and still only one seat. This Brexit vote will only embolden and consolidate this force, especially since the conservatives picked a non Brexit leader. Honestly, I feel that if the conservatives had got a hard line brexiter they would have kept everybody happy. Now there will be a split between the rightwing and the centre, just like is happening with labour at the moment.
    Wow, I just learned that delightful Andrea Leadsom was indeed offered a job in the new government and has accepted. Well played! =D>
    Yes Environment secretary. It may have been an afternoon of the long knives but
    There seems to be a good team in place now.
    Yes Environment secretary. It may have been an afternoon of the long knives but
    There seems to be a good team in place now.

I don't really share all the excitement and optimism. It's just the same people moved around to different jobs. What's actually changed?

Same as England getting a new manager. Ok Roy was shit but the new bloke will pick most of the same players and guess what - we won't win the World Cup.
    I guess, I've ever the optimist. ;)
    I just feel a change in the air ...... I think we're going to be OK. =D>
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    What worries me more is that Theresa May wrote "F. Off" on her papers next to Boris's name and a civil servant misunderstood her meaning.  :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There is only one souvereign country in the EU, Germany, and it is leading and ruling the EU since 2009.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    You sometimes make it look as if there's only the UK and a new country called EU.

There are also: The Netherlands, Sweden, France, Germany.......just to name a few other sovereign countries.

By the way, it's lovely to see Brits in here being so positive. But we're only one month after Brexit. 6 months from now we will have a better picture on how Brexit will influence the British economy. Don't cheer just yet.

http://nos.nl/nieuwsuur/artikel/2117578-brexit-heeft-grote-gevolgen-voor-britse-economie.html?title=brexit-heeft-grote-gevolgen-voor-britse-economie

It's the only option, being positive, that is. Becoming a gibbering, panic stricken wreck of a nation isn't going to do us any good.
    I read an interesting article by the Express which said that UKIP have been gaining over 2 thousands members a day since May gained office. Add on the disenfranchised labour heartlands switching to UKIP, they could be a real force in the next General Election. They're calling it the Purple Surge.
    They're calling it the Purple Surge.

Sounds like a Ron Jeremy film.
  • You sometimes make it look as if there's only the UK and a new country called EU.

There are also: The Netherlands, Sweden, France, Germany.......just to name a few other sovereign countries.

By the way, it's lovely to see Brits in here being so positive. But we're only one month after Brexit. 6 months from now we will have a better picture on how Brexit will influence the British economy. Don't cheer just yet.

http://nos.nl/nieuwsuur/artikel/2117578-brexit-heeft-grote-gevolgen-voor-britse-economie.html?title=brexit-heeft-grote-gevolgen-voor-britse-economie

It's the only option, being positive, that is. Becoming a gibbering, panic stricken wreck of a nation isn't going to do us any good.

No we leave that the EU..... :D
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119
    You sometimes make it look as if there's only the UK and a new country called EU.

I agree. But not facing reality isn't helpful either. There are already many events in the British economy that are actually quite destructive. There are times you need to face reality, and that reality can't be always positive.

The best thing then is to FIRST face that negative looking reality, and SECONDLY act accordingly in a positive way. Sadly, all I hear now is this ignorance of facing reality.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!

I agree. But not facing reality isn't helpful either. There are already many events in the British economy that are actually quite destructive. There are times you need to face reality, and that reality can't be always positive.

The best thing then is to FIRST face that negative looking reality, and SECONDLY act accordingly in a positive way. Sadly, all I hear now is this ignorance of facing reality.

Gustav please explain how we are not facing reality? Personally I would also love to know the sources from which you draw your opinions.

I could mention that - rather than the British - it is others who have difficulty facing up to or indeed accepting reality.
    stag wrote: »

Gustav please explain how we are not facing reality? Personally I would also love to know the sources from which you draw your opinions.

I could mention that - rather than the British - it is others who have difficulty facing up to or indeed accepting reality.

Well, simple, plain understanding of economics might do. Which, in the wake of Brexit we fail to take for granted. It appalls. This article shows how grim the situation of the UK economy will become in thee next 12 months:

--> http://realmoney.thestreet.com/articles/07/14/2016/brexit-fears-move-u.k.-commercial-property-housing
    --> http://www.investing.com/news/economy-news/u.s.-financial-monitor-says-brexit's-effects-could-be-felt-for-years-414473
    --> https://www.thestar.com/business/economy/2016/07/08/uk-economy-showing-brexit-effects.html

Quotes like:
    --> "bigger falls in capital values and output would clearly have more substantial macroeconomic and financial effects. And a major downturn in the residential market would magnify the effects on wealth and confidence,"
    --> "The first data about the residential property market after the Brexit vote comes hot on the heels of news of trouble in the commercial property sector, where a number of funds suspended withdrawals by investors, sparking fears of a crash.",
    --> "erosion of households’ spending power" and
    --> "The uncertainty around the future of the economy outside the common market would dampen business investment and consumer spending, as investors hold back on hiring and long-term investments and consumers postpone large spending decisions,"
    need to be taken more seriously.

Uncertainty is what interests economists and what should interest households, not false positivity. The thing is, with such macro-economic factors, it is hard to counteract it with simple government reform. So I am quite astonished that the new Chancellor of the Exchequer in the UK, Mr Hammond, does not have any plans to create an Emergency Budget next to a more 'normal' Budget. It's reckless, and not a smart start to good finance policies.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Gustav_Graves stop quoting all these bullshit claims from economists. They are talking out of their asses, and by listening to them you also disqualify yourself from the discussion. All the economists that spend their days on television or writing stuff on well known newspapers are professional bullshitters.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 13,894

How can you possibly say that "By not facing reality...", and in the same post, suggest that we act in a positive manner secondly? If anyone is struggling to face reality, then it's the EU.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The UK will be fine economically.

The big companies and the neo-liberals ALWAYS shout "danger" "job-loss" "we'll go abroad" as soon as anything happens that could lessen their quarterly figures a tenth of a percent.

The UK will become the prime example of how the EU is not needed.

Anyone heard of Switzerland. Have you @Gustav_Graves ?

Do you know why we are so successful GG? Because we didn't join the EU. That's why.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    @Gustav_Graves stop quoting all these bullshit claims from economists. They are talking out of their asses, and by listening to them you also disqualify yourself from the discussion. All the economists that spend their days on television or writing stuff on well known newspapers are professional bullshitters.

Economists are wrong about everything and always have been. Nothing changes in that regard!
    Economists might as well look at the innards of chickens to make their predictions. :D
    Brilliant - Theresa May now saying that she won't invoke Article 50 until Sturgeon agrees to terms. We've gone straight from being governed from Brussels to Edinburgh. Remainers will cheer that democracy has been suppressed once again. This Government is already a complete shambles.
    Yes, a bit disappointing.
    So the SNP, which got 1.4 million votes in the last general election, is now in charge of Brexit which dramatically affects the entirety of the UK. How did we not see this coming with Theresa ReMayn?
    I thought May made a great speech outside Number 10, about bringing the
    Country together. Very like Churchill :)

No, it was usual guff said by all new Tory PMs before they get down to the usual business of enriching the City and Big Business and presiding over a recession for the rest of us. Check out what was said by Cameron, Major, Thatcher.

Guarantee in 2 years time she'll be banging on about sacrifices we have to make for good of the country, and by next election telling us not to throw away the sacrifices we've made by electing a Labour govt.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Brilliant - Theresa May now saying that she won't invoke Article 50 until Sturgeon agrees to terms. We've gone straight from being governed from Brussels to Edinburgh. Remainers will cheer that democracy has been suppressed once again. This Government is already a complete shambles.
    Politically, she is giving Sturgeon an opportunity to come on side. Now Sturgeon has to play along. She can dictate terms if she wants or she can play spoiler. Her move.
This discussion has been closed.