Thoughts on Licence to Kill?

Comments

Geno wrote: »
    Carey Lowell is an easy Top 3 / Top 5 Bond girl IMO. She brought so much spark and natural appeal, particularly after she gets that haircut to “look the part.”

Agreed. She's easily my favorite Bond girl.

The leads are definitely one of the film's greatest strengths. For my money, the film has the best Bond, the best Bond girl, and the best villain.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    dalton wrote: »
    Carey Lowell is an easy Top 3 / Top 5 Bond girl IMO. She brought so much spark and natural appeal, particularly after she gets that haircut to “look the part.”

The leads are definitely one of the film's greatest strengths. For my money, the film has the best Bond, the best Bond girl, and the best villain.

Same here. LTK is an underrated gem. Dalton is way more comfortable in the role, Robert Davi is excellent as Sanchez, and Pam Bouvier and Lupe Lamora might just be the two most underrated and stunningly beautiful Bond girls ever. I always feel sad when the end credits roll, because Dalton never got this third!

Same here. LTK is an underrated gem. Dalton is way more comfortable in the role, Robert Davi is excellent as Sanchez, and Pam Bouvier and Lupe Lamora might just be the two most underrated and stunningly beautiful Bond girls ever. I always feel sad when the end credits roll, because Dalton never got this third!

You and me both!!
    We wuz robbed your honour!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Mathis1 wrote: »

You and me both!!

Never mind a mere third, I'd have been happy if Dalton had continued on until 1999 and given us another five Bond films. :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »

You and me both!!

Never mind a mere third, I'd have been happy if Dalton had continued on until 1999 and given us another five Bond films. :)

Absolutely. No question about it. Dalton doing only two Bonds is ... just not good enough for me. My pic gives it away, I guess, but I love his portrayal as Bond. He had his heart in the right place for the part. It's a shame he was dealt such bad corporate cards in the early '90s, with the suits and evil McClory getting in the way.
    Yeah the 3rd Dalton Bond is easily my biggest “that should’ve happened” piece of the franchise. TLD and LTK are so different, it would’ve been nice to see another shade of Dalton’s interpretation and make his era more well-rounded.
  • Dalton’s 3rd Bond film is one of the best Bond films that I’ve never seen...I know it sounds incredibly weird saying that, but being a huge fan of TLD, and LTK, I can only imagine just how awesome his 3rd film would’ve been!
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 6,814
    Dalton’s 3rd Bond film is one of the best Bond films that I’ve never seen...I know it sounds incredibly weird saying that, but being a huge fan of TLD, and LTK, I can only imagine just how awesome his 3rd film would’ve been!

In LTK, I've often wondered what that mission was in Istanbul, that M berates Bond for not taking up, just before he resigns?
    Dalton’s 3rd Bond film is one of the best Bond films that I’ve never seen...I know it sounds incredibly weird saying that, but being a huge fan of TLD, and LTK, I can only imagine just how awesome his 3rd film would’ve been!

In LTK, I've often wondered what that mission was in Istanbul, that M berates Bond for not taking up, just before he resigns?

True! That would have been a fun angle to follow up on. “About that mission you bailed on…”
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

A thread dangling in our heads. Maybe Jackie Chan dealt with it in Accidental Spy... :P
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

That was actually one of those TSWLM/MR, end-of-the-world type missions. Little known fact, GoldenEye is actually a hard reboot as the world ended before Bond and Pam could get out of the pool.

That was actually one of those TSWLM/MR, end-of-the-world type missions. Little known fact, GoldenEye is actually a hard reboot as the world ended before Bond and Pam could get out of the pool.

I have one comment here: :-B
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited January 2022 Posts: 6,726

Who cares about Armageddon when you've avenged your best friend? Honor, loyalty and friendship are more important than the survival of the human race. LTK has a lot to say as a film.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

I have one comment here: :-B

I’m just saying, you know, maybe M had a point at the Hemingway House…

mattjoes wrote: »

Who cares about Armageddon when you've avenged your best friend? Honor, loyalty and friendship are more important than the survival of the human race. LTK has a lot to say as a film.

Yes, it’s the Sanchez way. Bond seems to like it.
    it’s the Sanchez way. Bond seems to like it.
    Bond & Sanchez were like Bond & Trevelyan in the next film. Two sides of the same coin.
    Which is why both films rocked so hard.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 6,844
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Bond & Sanchez were like Bond & Trevelyan in the next film. Two sides of the same coin.

They certainly have played with notions of duality between Bond and the main villain since LTK (Bond and Trevelyan as you say, Bond and Graves, Bond and Silva, Bond and Safin). I suppose the first significant instance of this was Bond and Scaramanga (though, while not addressed in the dialogue or themes of the film, Largo himself was also a kind of dark mirror to Bond).

They certainly have played with notions of duality between Bond and the main villain since LTK (Bond and Trevelyan as you say, Bond and Graves, Bond and Silva, Bond and Safin). I suppose the first significant instance of this was Bond and Scaramanga (though, while not addressed in the dialogue or themes of the film, Largo himself was also a kind of dark mirror to Bond).

Scaramanga was the most obvious one in the dialogue (I love that film, btw, bloody haters piss off), Largo as a dark mirror, uhh, not getting that.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Scaramanga was the most obvious one in the dialogue (I love that film, btw, bloody haters piss off), Largo as a dark mirror, uhh, not getting that.

This was much more apparent in the novel where Largo was described as being attractive, having large appetites, and indulging in all the things Bond goes after—women, gambling, fine living, etc.—all the way down to having his own particularly designed cocktail. Again, the film doesn’t really do anything with this, but the parallel can still be found under the surface.

This was much more apparent in the novel where Largo was described as being attractive, having large appetites, and indulging in all the things Bond goes after—women, gambling, fine living, etc.—all the way down to having his own particularly designed cocktail. Again, the film doesn’t really do anything with this, but the parallel can still be found under the surface.

Well explained sir. With the novel in mind, yes.

I think the film does a nice job with showing Bond and Largo in a contest of one-upping each other at the gambling table, skeet shooting, over Domino and so on. Fiona even ribs Largo on it, rattling him, and Bond always having the edge.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Apparently from a workprint. Dalton Bond was even more vicious in his original lines!

Apparently from a workprint. Dalton Bond was even more vicious in his original lines!

What exactly did he say after "Idiot!"?
  • I love how mean spirited Dalton sounds here. Would’ve been interesting to see some of those lines in the final film, although I suppose people back then really wouldn’t take kindly to Bond acting like that.
    I think it would be funny to hear Dalton's lines placed over the last scenes of NTTD.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited January 2022 Posts: 652

Yikes. It's good they removed all of that, though I do like his "whatever" line.

@ToTheRight
    "If it wasn't for you, everyone could've gotten out of this alive."
    slide_99 wrote: »

Yikes. It's good they removed all of that, though I do like his "whatever" line.

@ToTheRight
    "If it wasn't for you, everyone could've gotten out of this alive."

Thanks, @slide_99.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    This seems fake.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,956
    Wow, that's all a bit strong!
    This seems fake.

Possibly I guess in that we can't see him saying any of the lines, but the way he's delivering them all seem to match.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    mtm wrote: »
    Wow, that's all a bit strong!
    This seems fake.

Possibly I guess in that we can't see him saying any of the lines, but the way he's delivering them all seem to match.

There's another version on YouTube where someone claims to have the audio only, and they put it over the existing scene, without distortion. This appears to be that video with the distortion added and new claims to be the workprint. Seems unlikely that the audio was discovered alone, and then years later the video of the same scene was discovered.

And it seems unlikely that any of this new dialogue was ever written at all! "Whatever!" Really?! 😀
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Fake or not, I think it's just as well they went with the version they did in the final film. LTK is already strong enough tea for many Bond fans as it is though I for one love it and Dalton is my favourite Bond.