Thoughts on Licence to Kill?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    But I will say...ninjas. It baffles me every time 😅

Especially as they're supposed to be from Hong Kong! :))
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    mtm wrote: »

Exactly but in EON's defence ninjas will always be cool, if not always appropriate
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Love seeing these old VHS copies. I have a boxful too somewhere up in my loft.

My first ever owned VHS tapes were Rocky III and Rocky IV (both in Warner Home Video covers) - Christmas gifts, year 1987 or 1988 I think.

You couldn't copy them. There was something built in these rental video cassettes that meant if you hooked up two video recorders, the contrast would click in and out. It never happened with cheap store bought videos. When all the Bond films came out on proper saleable videos (with grey cover in the UK as I remember), I used to rent them from video shops and copy them, which you could never do successfully with the earlier eighties 'big box' videos.
    I wonder if there's a Bond VHS thread on here? I love to see those old covers too.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/2422/anyone-else-collect-the-bond-vhs-tapes#latest
    Thanks, I'd forgotten about that thread.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 3,279
    Love seeing these old VHS copies. I have a boxful too somewhere up in my loft.

My first ever owned VHS tapes were Rocky III and Rocky IV (both in Warner Home Video covers) - Christmas gifts, year 1987 or 1988 I think.

You couldn't copy them. There was something built in these rental video cassettes that meant if you hooked up two video recorders, the contrast would click in and out. It never happened with cheap store bought videos. When all the Bond films came out on proper saleable videos (with grey cover in the UK as I remember), I used to rent them from video shops and copy them, which you could never do successfully with the earlier eighties 'big box' videos.
    I wonder if there's a Bond VHS thread on here? I love to see those old covers too.

When I said copies, I meant originals.

I also remember the OHMSS VHS version which had the entire Lazenby in the Gumbold lawyers office in Switzerland scene removed.

I wasn't contradicting you, I was just remembering that the early 'big box' VHS videos had something with them where you couldn't copy them. If you hired Rambo, Rocky or A View to a Kill from the video shop, there was some weird thing that screwed with the contrast.

I wasn't contradicting you, I was just remembering that the early 'big box' VHS videos had something with them where you couldn't copy them. If you hired Rambo, Rocky or A View to a Kill from the video shop, there was some weird thing that screwed with the contrast.

I never knew that. I do remember trying to copy from VHS to VHS but cannot remember what the quality was like now. Pretty poor from what I recall.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,001
    Yea, there was always a drop in quality when you copied a video. And there was a drop in quality from the 'big box' rental copies to the ones that went on sale eventually. But back then, without everyone comparing and reviewing everything on-line, I think we were just glad to get the stuff. It was all pan and scan anyway.
    And yes, I remember the Gumbold's safe bit being missing from OHMSS.
    Also, when Licence to Kill (to keep the thread on track) came out on DVD, I was surprised to see quite a few longer scenes to what I remembered on the VHS and cinema versions. Notably the pressure tank Krest scene, Heller's death and Bond hanging over the crusher.

There was a way to go around that by taping over an opening in the cassette.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think that's the same thing: that would let you record onto the cassette you put the tape on, they're talking about copying from that cassette.
    I don't think that's the same thing: that would let you record onto the cassette you put the tape on, they're talking about copying from that cassette.

Perhaps you re right, but I do know I pulled some trick to copy VHS tapes. It s just so long ago, I can t recall for sure.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 538
    I'm not sure what I can say that numerous other people here have said before, but it's a very good film. In my top 10 Bond films. Underrated and ahead of its time. Good villain and cast.

Probably the most notable aspect of this film is the sense of danger and adrenaline it had, that hadn't been felt in the franchise for a while, at least to that extent. Bond is up to some serious trouble and mischief in this one.

That's right. You could record over a pre-recorded VHS by taping over the tab, just like you could with audio cassette tapes.
    What I'm talking about is if you went into a video shop and rented, say, A View to a Kill in the late eighties, and tried to record it using two video machines, the copy would have a big problem with the contrast moving around every few seconds or so. It would keep varying so it was a distraction to the film.
    But if you bought A View to a Kill when it eventually came on sale, in record shops and the like, you could tape off it then and not have the same problem.
    This is how I got my first Bond movie collection. I'd rent the ones that they sold in the shops, (I'm thinking this would be about 1990), and copy them.

Edit -

Here's the first set of Bond VHS videos that you could buy properly in the UK. They had grey covers.

uk-vhs-silver-01-drno-690.jpg

These could be copied successfully if you had two videos, so that's how I got my collection on VHS. They were £14.99 each according to the site I got this picture from, and came out in 1987 according to the same site.
    Licence to Kill is probably the only film in the entire franchise that has not budged in my rankings of the films over the past couple of decades. It's been firmly entrenched at #1 for as long as I can remember. Dalton gives us a thrilling and fresh (especially at the time) take on the character, pulling him back from the campy nature of the late 70s and early 80s films to take him to where he should have been all along. It's a shame that he wasn't recognized for his work at the time, because while it's now getting somewhat of a reappraisal due to Craig's interpretation of the part, Dalton's take was always a stroke of brilliance that should have lasted more than just two films.

Add to that an absolutely stellar villain in Robert David and, for my money, one of the absolute best Bond girls in Carey Lowell, along with Michael Kamen's underrated score and some wonderful action sequences, Licence to Kill has everything anyone could want from a Bond film and then some.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @dalton I gather you like Dalton, eh? Me too. I like Connery & Brosnan immensely, but Dalton just brought something really earthy & novel-like to the role that no one else ever has. As I stated above somewhere, LTK & TLD flip flop for #1... it depends upon which one I've seen most recently. :D
    What I'm talking about is if you went into a video shop and rented, say, A View to a Kill in the late eighties, and tried to record it using two video machines, the copy would have a big problem with the contrast moving around every few seconds or so. It would keep varying so it was a distraction to the film.

What you're describing is Macrovision. I once bought a little black box that was designed to overcome this but it didn't always work. I'm so glad VHS is dead.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Exactly but in EON's defence ninjas will always be cool, if not always appropriate
    Licence-to-Kill-Kwang-Cary-Hiroyuki-Tagawa-Hong-Kong-Narcotics-quote.png
    dalton wrote: »
    Licence to Kill is probably the only film in the entire franchise that has not budged in my rankings of the films over the past couple of decades. It's been firmly entrenched at #1 for as long as I can remember. Dalton gives us a thrilling and fresh (especially at the time) take on the character, pulling him back from the campy nature of the late 70s and early 80s films to take him to where he should have been all along. It's a shame that he wasn't recognized for his work at the time, because while it's now getting somewhat of a reappraisal due to Craig's interpretation of the part, Dalton's take was always a stroke of brilliance that should have lasted more than just two films.

Add to that an absolutely stellar villain in Robert David and, for my money, one of the absolute best Bond girls in Carey Lowell, along with Michael Kamen's underrated score and some wonderful action sequences, Licence to Kill has everything anyone could want from a Bond film and then some.

It's always stayed in my top 5 and never budged. To me it delivers everything (although a Barry score would have made it even better), and shows that the writers can conjure up a script that feels very much like Fleming, even if it's not adapted directly from a novel (I know certain scenes and characters were, but still).

Dalton delivers the ultimate Fleming Bond characterisation in this one, which surpasses anything before it, and has still yet to be beaten.

It's always stayed in my top 5 and never budged. To me it delivers everything (although a Barry score would have made it even better), and shows that the writers can conjure up a script that feels very much like Fleming, even if it's not adapted directly from a novel (I know certain scenes and characters were, but still).

Dalton delivers the ultimate Fleming Bond characterisation in this one, which surpasses anything before it, and has still yet to be beaten.

+1
    If John Barry had scored it, I think it could even topple my beloved OHMSS as no. 1!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If it's so great then tell me this: how does Felix pull his ripcord with a top hat in each hand? :D
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    If it's so great then tell me this: how does Felix pull his ripcord with a top hat in each hand? :D
    In one of the hats is a rabbit.

Which pulls the cord for him. ;)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,247
    Mathis1 wrote: »

+1
    If John Barry had scored it, I think it could even topple my beloved OHMSS as no. 1!

Exactly!!!! A Barry score is what I wanted. Although, I'm slowly starting to warmup to Michael Kamen's score....I listen to tracks like Escape From WaveKrest/Felix's Files & Licence Revoked very much these days.

I really love Dalton's Bond electric seriousness as always.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Licence Revoked is a lot of fun. He's one of the few composers to do a proper new arrangement of the Bond theme i.e it's in a different order: you could hum his version of the Bond theme to another Bond fan and they'd know it's Kamen's version.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Licence Revoked is a lot of fun. He's one of the few composers to do a proper new arrangement of the Bond theme i.e it's in a different order: you could hum his version of the Bond theme to another Bond fan and they'd know it's Kamen's version.

Yeah. There's a distinctive feel to Kamen's Bond theme.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2021 Posts: 8,026
    I love how muscular and raw-sounding his action scoring is. It often almost tips into undisciplined territory but Kamen's writing is so minimalist that he always keeps it from going too far. Licence Revoked is a great example of this.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Licence-to-Kill-Kwang-Cary-Hiroyuki-Tagawa-Hong-Kong-Narcotics-quote.png

Hahahaha brilliant
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 3,279

And why does a fish wink at the end?

Strange oddities, but I'd take them any day over Felix dying, Bond begging for mercy over his daughter, becoming bizarrely out-of-character chatty with long lost brother Blofeld, or being blown to smithereens in the final act.
    Strange oddities, but I'd take them any day over Felix dying, Bond begging for mercy over his daughter, becoming bizarrely out-of-character chatty with long lost brother Blofeld, or being blown to smithereens in the final act.

Welcome to the Daniel Craig Show!
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 12,837

Welcome to the Daniel Craig Show!

How have we managed to go from @mtm making a joke to you two moaning about NTTD. In a thread that has nothing to do with it. Again.
    How have we managed to go from @mtm making a joke to you two moaning about NTTD. In a thread that has nothing to do with it. Again.

Sorry we hurt your forum, mister.