Thoughts on Licence to Kill?

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »
    LTK is a masterpiece. I'm proud to have seen the film 11 times in the cinema during that wonderful summer of '89.

Agree totally, and I recall that very hot Summer in 1989 too! Though I did it see it many times in the cinema, I salute your 11 trips mate!
  • mtm wrote: »
    I do like the way that occasionally Sanchez does actually seem like a guy who does right by people; it's a nice idea to make him actually quite charming occasionally.

He has a code that he lives by—one might consider it his tragic flaw if you want to look at Sanchez and Bond as an inverted Othello/Iago—and that makes him a fascinating character to follow. He really is one of the best developed villains of the series. I'd say probably the best developed villain. For all his villainy, he nevertheless has honor (a very particular brand of honor) and is undone by it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mtm wrote: »
    I do like the way that occasionally Sanchez does actually seem like a guy who does right by people; it's a nice idea to make him actually quite charming occasionally.

He has a code that he lives by—one might consider it his tragic flaw if you want to look at Sanchez and Bond as an inverted Othello/Iago—and that makes him a fascinating character to follow. He really is one of the best developed villains of the series. I'd say probably the best developed villain. For all his villainy, he nevertheless has honor (a very particular brand of honor) and is undone by it.

That combined with the whole Yojimbo vibe & Dalton's majestic performance as Bond makes for a truly great film.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I love the part where he actually lets the crooked FBI agent go with his payment, unlike any of the other villains in the Bond franchise.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited December 2021 Posts: 8,501
    Sanchez/Robert Davi elevated LTK and his presence seemed to relax Dalton in most of their scenes...

In my opinion TLD is the better film, but LTK is a fun mano a mano demonstration... Strange to say, but LTK is more of a great character study of two-sides-of-the-same coin. And what's even stranger, in my opinion, is that Bond brought out the best in Sanchez (how he takes care of Bond when he thinks he's got an ally in him), and Sanchez brings out the worst in Bond (cold blooded vengeance)....

LTK is hampered by pedestrian sets/cinematography, however....

What the two leads bring to their cat and mouse game is truly magnificent.

P.S. I met Robert Davi and he's a beaut. Gregarious and fun, I ignore his political affiliations but I enjoyed the person who seems to love life, good music and Shakespeare.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

That combined with the whole Yojimbo vibe & Dalton's majestic performance as Bond makes for a truly great film.

It is very much Bond going ronin. A very fresh and exciting idea at the time. Nowadays, in the hands of Purvis and Wade (much as I love them) the idea has been trotted out so often it has lost all its significance. The real novelty now would be for Bond receive a straightforward mission and carry it out dutifully without being hampered or hunted down by his own. It would be exciting though to get a new take on Bond that feels as innovative as Licence to Kill.

I love the part where he actually lets the crooked FBI agent go with his payment, unlike any of the other villains in the Bond franchise.

That is something that very much distinguishes him from the rest of Bond's rogues, who generally consider their own expendable (from Goldfinger to Blofeld to Zorin to Trevelyan). He rewards loyalty. "Knowing who to trust is everything in this business." Bond exploits that weakness of Sanchez's and gets him to destroy those who are closest to him. Dario is just about the only significant one Bond can't turn him against.
    Here's an interview with Dalton on the set of LICENSE REVOKED.
    I got up early back in '88 to record this both days it aired. Damn, that tape was lost years ago, but luckily the interview is on YouTube.
    I must say, Timothy's hair looks pretty good here as he's talking to Joel Siegel.

LTK is terrific. Has some issues that bother me, but I think the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses.

I think the main thing that puzzles me these days is Gladys Knight’s title song and why they went with it - it just feels like such a mismatch for the movie’s tone and concept. Would’ve been a good opportunity for something harder / edgier.
    The LTK theme has really grown on me in a big way over the past couple of months.
    I have always liked the LTK theme, but I get the point that they missed the opportunity to go for something edgier that might have fitted the tone if the film better.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @ToTheRight
    Thank you for that video.
    Glad I found it, @DarthDimi . Interestingly, GOOD MORNING AMERICA had an interview with Roger Moore about a week earlier, emphasizing his retirement lifestyle and that he was planning to get back into acting . Maybe somebody will find that one at some point? I distinctly remember thinking he looked great, the best he had in years .
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Geno wrote: »
    LTK is terrific. Has some issues that bother me, but I think the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses.

I think the main thing that puzzles me these days is Gladys Knight’s title song and why they went with it - it just feels like such a mismatch for the movie’s tone and concept. Would’ve been a good opportunity for something harder / edgier.

Agreed. The title track is bland and could have substituted for most of the Moore-era songs. In fact, the title songs are *the* weak point of the Dalton era.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,691
    echo wrote: »
    In fact, the title songs are *the* weak point of the Dalton era.
    This Living Daylights A-HA fan challenges you to single combat on this comment.
    :P
    I love the a-ha theme. Actually I love the Gladys Knight tune as well, it just seems like an afterthought. It pretty much was as Clapton's Bond theme was rejected. I'd love to hear that song.
    I love the a-ha theme. Actually I love the Gladys Knight tune as well, it just seems like an afterthought. It pretty much was as Clapton's Bond theme was rejected. I'd love to hear that song.

The Gladys Knight song was okay IMO. The orchestration was the best part. She just wasn't given anything really special to sing.
  • Chrissie Hynde's "Where Has Everybody Gone?" from TLD actually would have been a pretty perfect, harder edged song for LTK from a lyrical standpoint.

Where has everybody gone?
    I've got this feelin,
    Goin to end up here on my own.
    Where's my support now?
    Where's the ranks of the strong?
    In this faceless crowd, where can I belong?
    Everybody's gone insane to catch a plane to have their Heavens closer,
    They want the Kingdom but they don't want the King - they want his throne.
    And there's no time - there's no time at all!
    With great pleasure,
    I sing your national song.
    Because you're beautiful,
    And you'll soon be long gone.
    And the ashes of your memoirs will be strewn across the lawn.
    Pack your face, save your cases of your place in the Everafter.
    These hallowed Halls are lined with walls that are cracked by the Myria's laughter.
    And there's no time - there's no time at all!
    There's no time,
    There's no time at all...
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,526

Clapton wrote a Bond theme? And it was rejected??

How much do you think you'd need to buy EON?
  • A-Ha’s The Living Daylights is perhaps my all
    time favorite Bond song. It’s just a banger.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,526
    It’s a karaoke favourite of mine and my friend’s. Happy to look and sound like idiots to that track.

Instrumental guitar driven title theme apparently.
    Well I love the Gladys Knights theme! Think she really belts it out! a-ha is excellent too! And Chrissie Hynde delivers a beautiful theme for the end titles in 'If there was a man'. In fact I also enjoy Patti Labelles end theme for LTK. So it's all good!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    A-Ha’s The Living Daylights is perhaps my all
    time favorite Bond song. It’s just a banger.

It's such a great Bond song. I love playing it in the mornings....the first 7secs of the song tells you Dalton's Bond is dangerous. Such an upbeat Bond song...it makes me feel so happy :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,956

According to 'The Music of James Bond' apparently Kamen had written a theme (which never became a song) which Clapton and Vic Flick spent a day on, a 'bluesy, bendy tune' according to Flick, which they managed to turn into something big and 'Bondy' by the end of the day; but it sounds like Kamen was a bit unprepared for the session and there wasn't much enthusiasm for how it turned out, so it got shelved. Kamen did (co-)write 'Everything I Do' from Prince of Thieves a couple of years later though so it seems like he had a hit song in him! :)

It'd be amazing if the results of that session ever appeared anywhere, but I guess Clapton's involvement complicates things.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Well I love the Gladys Knights theme! Think she really belts it out! a-ha is excellent too! And Chrissie Hynde delivers a beautiful theme for the end titles in 'If there was a man'. In fact I also enjoy Patti Labelles end theme for LTK. So it's all good!

Yeah I think 'If You Asked Me To' is a really good song, and suits the American feel of the film.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

100% agree. I'll have to reacquaint myself with those end themes as I can't really remember them, but love both the main themes.
    Any fans of LTK, just letting you know that Mi6 Confidential magazine is doing a 100 page special on it! Just ordered it myself!
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 1,314
    It’s a good but flawed film.

“Out of gas” and “I love James so much” kind of undermine the otherwise well written female characters

Carey Lowell is an easy Top 3 / Top 5 Bond girl IMO. She brought so much spark and natural appeal, particularly after she gets that haircut to “look the part.”
    Geno wrote: »
    Carey Lowell is an easy Top 3 / Top 5 Bond girl IMO. She brought so much spark and natural appeal, particularly after she gets that haircut to “look the part.”

Oh I agree. So did Richard Gere....
    I would now go so far as to say that Licence to Kill is the best Bond film of the 20th century.