Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Thing' and 'Blade Runner' are alike in that they were met with mediocre/negative reviews, and then went on to become classics with a large fan base supporting them.

I was only watching Dangerous Days and the last segment talks about this, the fact that at the time BR and The Thing were 2 films that year that lost out to E.T I believe Frank Darabont mentions this during this part of the documentary.

Personally I've never got the E.T adoration, my Wife and I watched it recently and just were left underwhelmed. I'll take both BR and The Thing over this.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Like Blade Runner?

Just now read your comments on the first page, so yes, this counts! Favorite version of the film, if any?

I think my favourite version is the one I first saw back in the 80s with the Ford narration, but it also definitely works without it.

The international '82 cut for me. It's basically the American version with some bits of violence left in that got trimmed in the U.S. so it wouldn't get an NC-17 rating.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 5,767
    In any case, the perfect legacy of Blade Runner will suffer. That's for sure.

If anything they should do a remake based on Blade Runner, that way you can ignore it if it's crap like Total Recall and Dredd.
    Doesn´t make sense if you can ignore a remake but not a sequel.

The only way BR2 has a chance to succeed is if they go as far away from the original as possible, also in visual style and music.
    The question then is of course, what makes it a sequel then?
    And the other question is, with so many years since the original, won´t they make just a disguised remake?
    Yet still I got high hopes, what with Villeneuve/Deakins and the cast so far.

And the final cut is the best. Or, to put it more accurately, it´s the only version I have seen many times and am very happy with ;-).
    Blade Runner was such a iconic and classic movie, I look forward with great interest for the sequel?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,469
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Reading yet another PKD book, I am again struck by his masterful use of internal monolugue.

This is why I think the Ford voiceover in the original version of BR is so fitting.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Reading yet another PKD book, I am again struck by his masterful use of internal monolugue.

This is why I think the Ford voiceover in the original version of BR is so fitting.
    Where do I send your reward for this great post?

Perhaps. I like internal monologue displayed on the character´s face. Books don´t show faces, therefore more words make sense.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Shardlake wrote: »
    'The Thing' and 'Blade Runner' are alike in that they were met with mediocre/negative reviews, and then went on to become classics with a large fan base supporting them.

I was only watching Dangerous Days and the last segment talks about this, the fact that at the time BR and The Thing were 2 films that year that lost out to E.T I believe Frank Darabont mentions this during this part of the documentary.

Personally I've never got the E.T adoration, my Wife and I watched it recently and just were left underwhelmed. I'll take both BR and The Thing over this.

In 1982 E.T was something of a juggernaut. Don't forget it was a family film that appealed to all ages, and was a simple idea brilliantly executed by Spielberg.

On their release, The Thing and Blade Runner didn't get very good reviews. Most reviewers felt that Blade Runner was just a load of visuals over content.

Years later those same reviewers proclaimed it a masterpiece!

I knew as a 16 year old seeing Blade Runner, it was something special. And as a science fiction fan it was the vision of the future I'd always wanted to see.
    I have always felt that ET and The Thing are rubbish, and that Blade Runner is a work of art.
    I have always felt that ET and The Thing are rubbish, and that Blade Runner is a work of art.

Hey, your opinion, but I'd hardly term E.T or The Thing as 'rubbish'

Your talking about a time when Spielberg and Carpenter were at the top of their game!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Thing is one of my all time favourite movies ;)

Hey, your opinion, but I'd hardly term E.T or The Thing as 'rubbish'

Your talking about a time when Spielberg and Carpenter were at the top of their game!

I bet Spielberg could have delivered a decent Blade Runner, but Carpenter? Not so sure about that.
    There's no way that Spielberg would have pulled off that bleak vision of the future!

He tried adapting Dick with Minority Report and failed with that godawful happy ending!

If he'd done a 'Brazil' and made Cruise's happy ending nothing but a dream caused by suspended animation that would have been a killer ending!
    Scott was a good choice.
    After ALIEN he was surely the only choice?
    Probably the one thing that made the studio pick him, but I am sure others could have delivered something worthwhile.
    Liked to have seen Cronenberg have a bash at it.

Would have loved to have seen his version of Total Recall...!
    Villeneuve, Deakins and Gosling are all in my hometown right now and Ford will arrive soon too. :bz
    FIlming has begun! Source:
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Harrison Ford a few days ago:

35C10C1F00000578-3664496-Unrecognizible_Harrison_Ford_was_seen_sporting_a_long_white_bear-m-52_1467145053578.jpg
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 5,767
    FIlming has begun! Source:
    Lovely! I always wanted a film to start with a naked beauty running along the sea shore toting a torch :-).

Everytime I see how fit Ford looks at his age it makes me want to work out for the next five hours.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sadly with so much good news on cast and the build up of fans expectations, will
    It be too difficult for it to live up to the hype surrounding it ?
    Sadly with so much good news on cast and the build up of fans expectations, will
    It be too difficult for it to live up to the hype surrounding it ?
    Better not think about it, @Thunderpussy, the good casting news don´t seem to end:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/702031-hiam-abbass-blade-runner-sequel
    Loved Abbass in her great, albeit very short role in 'Munich.' Can't wait to see how she fits alongside the cast, along with the underrated Dastmalchian.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 5,767
    The producers seem to have noticed this thread and want to keep it up front ;-).

Two concept art slides:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/702749-blade-runner-sequel-concept-art#/slide/1
    The sequel receives an official title: 'Blade Runner 2049.'
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Where's the other 2048 Blade Runner movies? ;)
  • I guess it was pretty inevitable they were going to put "Blade Runner" somewhere in the title, huh? I'd have preferred "Dangerous Days" or "Do Androids Dream?" but I could probably get behind "2049," even if the title is 100% marketing driven.