Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

fanbond123 wrote: »
    Be hard to top the original. From what I've read, none of the original cast have returned - just Ford. I suppose we'll see Deckard visiting some replicant type grave or replicant 'database' so we get some closure to Rachael's storyline. Hope they don't gloss over that given how important she was in the first film.
    Who of the original cast beside Ford would be supposed to return, and why?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    boldfinger wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Be hard to top the original. From what I've read, none of the original cast have returned - just Ford. I suppose we'll see Deckard visiting some replicant type grave or replicant 'database' so we get some closure to Rachael's storyline. Hope they don't gloss over that given how important she was in the first film.
    Who of the original cast beside Ford would be supposed to return, and why?

Plus, given the life cycle of replicants, would a grave sequence be necessary? I'd assume fans of the original would know that Rachael is long gone by the events of this sequel, considering the fact that it takes place thirty years after the original.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But Rachel had no expiration date.

Is that in a specific version of the movie? Because the versions I've seen have never highlighted that fact or mentioned it at all, particularly the Final Cut. I always assumed she was on the same four-year lifespan like the others were.
    "The final main difference between the original version and the director's cut involves the film's ending. The theatrical release showed Deckard and Rachael as they almost literally drove off into the sunset, and a happy continuation to their relationship is strongly implied. For one, we learn that Rachael, unlike the other replicants, has no "expiration date," so we assume she and the presumably-human - in that version - Deckard will live a life of happy anonymity as they hide from the authorities. "
    That's why, then, I've never seen that bit in the versions I've checked out. Always surmised she was a normal replicant like the others.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    That tagged on ending about Rachel being 'special' makes about as much sense as the Deckard being a Replicant theory.
    They had to explain why he could drive off into the sunset with "someone" who was not about to "die" in the same way as the others. Do we have the potential for a CGI Rachael? I hope not,
    patb wrote: »
    They had to explain why he could drive off into the sunset with "someone" who was not about to "die" in the same way as the others. Do we have the potential for a CGI Rachael? I hope not,

Well Sean Young is looking a bit ropey these days so I doubt she'll be playing an 'ageless' Replicant..

Only if you're watching the theatrical version.

Give the lady some respect, it was 1982! we all look ropey after all those years, she was just stunning back then.
    Sean Young should have been a Bond girl.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,599
    Looking at the Bond's of the early 80's , I am not sure she would have fitted in, she had a lot of class and genuine talent, would have been wasted in Bond IMHO,
    if you could bring her into the Craig Bond era, then WOW, just WOW, as with Bladerunner, you could see why any leading man would drive off into the sunset
    Just look at No Way Out for pure sexual tension, outstanding
    That was tense in more ways. I remember it as a pretty good film
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    No Way Out is an exceptional film. I have it on blu ray. They sort of gave Hackman the same role in Absolute Power many years later. Sean Young is ok. I'm not a huge fan, but she seemed to have been everywhere at one time.

Given she was a replicant, they could use the Star Wars Rogue One technique to bring her back.
    Sean Young stepped right out of the 1940s and into the 80s.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    No Way Out is an exceptional film. I have it on blu ray. They sort of gave Hackman the same role in Absolute Power many years later. Sean Young is ok. I'm not a huge fan, but she seemed to have been everywhere at one time.

Given she was a replicant, they could use the Star Wars Rogue One technique to bring her back.
    You mean that technique that makes a face from a mile look as if from a video game?

patb wrote: »

Well Sean Young is looking a bit ropey these days so I doubt she'll be playing an 'ageless' Replicant..
    Judging by the newest fotos I could find, I find "ropey" a rather insulting term for a lady who assembled a bit more body mass yet still looks very pretty.

boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

You mean that technique that makes a face from a mile look as if from a video game?
    Yes, that's the one. I agree with you, but given she's an android I thought it would be less offensive (then again, I found Arnie offensive in Genesys). On 2nd thoughts, you're right, best to drop the idea.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They need to get the team from Antman to do aging/reverse aging CGI. What they did to make Michael Douglas look young again was amazing.
    hqdefault.jpg
    Same for RDJ in Civil War.
    And Robert Downey in Civil War.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Still need to see Civil War. :P
    Except for the Spiderman scenes it is really good.
    Come on! Spidey was awesome! Can't wait for the new solo film.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,813

Except the Spidey scenes??? That's the first time I've heard that one!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Except the Spidey scenes??? That's the first time I've heard that one!

Yeah, right?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 40,456

I didn't think the film was "really good", but I, too, wasn't seeing all the fuss and rave behind the new Spider-Man. Then again, I'm pretty detached from the universes and installments of all these comic book movies, so I'm sure that's why it failed to impress me.
  • Walks into Blade Runner thread. Finds passionate discussion about Spider-Man. Walks back out of Blade Runner thread.
    Walks into Blade Runner thread. Finds passionate discussion about Spider-Man. Walks back out of Blade Runner thread.

Spiderman is hopefully not in the new Blade Runner.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/799321-blade-runner-2049-to-feature-replicant-from-original-film#/slide/1

According to this, a replicant that was featured in the original, will appear by CGI. Meh. :(