Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

The fact that the Switch is going to support GameCube games on the Virtual Console is incredible for me, seeing as the Cube has most of my favorite games. Switch looks more and more like a day 1 buy for me.
  • I blew the dust off my PS3 this morning and played a bit of GoldenEye Reloaded. I've had it for years but never made it that far. I found it pretty mediocre at the time, and since there were way better games out there, I never even played past the first level!
    However, now that it's an 'older' game, and I hardly touched it for years, I found it quite playable. Still mediocre, don't get me wrong, but perhaps I was too harsh on it.

I've never played OO7 Legends, but could I expect the same quality? They looked pretty similar at least. That may be worth grabbing if it's 9 bucks....
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The only real difference between them is the ability to jump and a lack of Daniel Craig's voice.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I blew the dust off my PS3 this morning and played a bit of GoldenEye Reloaded. I've had it for years but never made it that far. I found it pretty mediocre at the time, and since there were way better games out there, I never even played past the first level!
    However, now that it's an 'older' game, and I hardly touched it for years, I found it quite playable. Still mediocre, don't get me wrong, but perhaps I was too harsh on it.

I've never played OO7 Legends, but could I expect the same quality? They looked pretty similar at least. That may be worth grabbing if it's 9 bucks....

@Master_Dahark 007 Legends is very similar to GE: Reloaded. The only difference is that there are more Bond-esque elements in 007 Legends. Personally, I like it a lot more than Reloaded.
    No Rest for the Living is just a difficult group of maps in general. I've still never beaten it on my copy of the Doom 3 BFG Edition, and have only beaten a wad I downloaded years ago that I can play with cheats.

I did it had to run past an arachnatron but who care it's done and now I am hearing barons banquet is just as hard... swell
    edited December 2016 Posts: 3,000
    No Man's Sky

After a recent series of massive updates, this game has improved greatly. The updates added base building and improved crafting with the ability to hire aliens to work for you, visual upgrades that have made planets much more beautiful, and three gameplay modes; Normal, Survival, and Creative. The best in my opinion is Creative Mode, where everything thing is free and no longer requires grinding for resources. This is apparently just the first in a series of planned improvements to the game.

One of the biggest limiting factors of the original game was obtaining the necessary hyperdrive upgrade to be able to reach green stars; the ones with the best looking planets. Now with Creative Mode making everything free, it only takes a bit of looking around to find the ship with the hyperdrive you'll need.

The initial release would have fared better if the devs had called it what it was; early access. That said, the new content was worth the wait, and is a sight to behold. The game is finally beginning to live up to its trailers.
    No%20Mans%20Sky_20161212194215_zpszsyr7ebs.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @BMW_with_missiles, and if it was labeled as Early Access, they shouldn't have been charging $60 for it in the first place. The idea behind the game is sound, but I saw the trailers pre-release and felt like this was the type of game that would surely get boring in 5-10 hours, so I didn't bother. Seems that was the least of my concerns!
    Basically on a Doom 2 no rest for the living, The Bourne Conspiracy, Batman the telltale series kick I'll try and beat all three before the new year
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BMW_with_missiles, and if it was labeled as Early Access, they shouldn't have been charging $60 for it in the first place. The idea behind the game is sound, but I saw the trailers pre-release and felt like this was the type of game that would surely get boring in 5-10 hours, so I didn't bother. Seems that was the least of my concerns!

@Creasy47 Yeah, it was definitely not worth $60 for an unfinished game. On release, it was basically an over priced walking simulator. I recently stumbled across some planets that had been discovered by another player prior to the update, and it was interesting to compare, side by side, planets generated before the update, to ones generated after. It was a stark reminder of just how barren the game was originally.
    It's yet another instance of an unfinished game being hurried out, because $$$, without a care in the world as to whether or not it's up-to-date and working properly. It boggles my mind how many people rush to purchase, say, new titles from Ubisoft, knowing that almost every game they release is wonky and broken at launch, but sure enough, they continue to do it. Hell, 'Watch Dogs 2' just came out and the multiplayer (50% of the game) was completely invalid for a week or so, and yet they had no problem taking 100% of the price tag up front. Funny how it works! I've become very pessimistic and negative regarding the film/gaming industry lately, and this is one of the many reasons why.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    These days, the only games that come out are unfinished. This is why the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era was the best era of video games. If a game was unfinished, it was accurately labeled the crap that it was. These days, games that are unfinished are labeled as advancing the art form, which is something that's completely wrong.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed. It's why I've pretty much all but almost given up on modern gaming.
    These days, the only games that come out are unfinished. This is why the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era was the best era of video games. If a game was unfinished, it was accurately labeled the crap that it was. These days, games that are unfinished are labeled as advancing the art form, which is something that's completely wrong.

That was a time, too, when you couldn't release 200 updates for a game: if it came out and was broken, then it was broken. It made sure that developers got shit right the first time, and didn't hastily release something ASAP so they could rake in more money. Combine that with every game getting a season pass these days, or having some form of cheap microtransactions, and I have no real hope for the future of gaming.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 16,330
    We're certainly close to having a new gaming crash. I hope it happens honestly. We need a reboot in the system. Gaming has become so mainstream it's descended into a greedy mess.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There are games which I would like to buy a PS4 for, but I have been a gamer since the days of 8-bit graphics, and I just don't like where games are going. Why bother delaying a game to make sure the creases have been ironed out, when they can release it, and fix it later. That's all fine and dandy... if your PS3 is online, other wise, a broken game is a broken game.
    Murdock wrote: »
    We're certainly close to having a new gaming crash. I hope it happens honestly. We need a reboot in the system. Gaming has become so mainstream it's descended into a greedy mess.

Agreed. The industry could use a massive overhaul.
    Murdock wrote: »

Agreed. The industry could use a massive overhaul.
    Much like most industries these days.
    The only sector of the gaming industry in which there is any integrity left seems to be indie games. Then again, Hello Games (NMS developer) was called an indie game company, but I'm not sure that title still applies when you get Sony to distribute your game and charge $60 for it.
    It's not all bad fortunately. I'm glad some developers are staying away from this Toxic Micro transaction nonsense.
    Just played Super Mario Run. It's good, but when you get to the fourth level, it says "Proceed to purchase screen," and you can't go further. The game costs $10! For a mobile game!
    Yeah, I don't see a point in Super Mario Run. The Mario name isn't enough for me to pay $10.
    It's just New Super Mario Bros except you're on rails pretty much. Reminds me of that old DS game Yoshi Touch "N" Go. Not worth it honestly.
    I DID IT I BEAT DOOM 2 and DOOM 2 NO REST FOR THE LIVING

In all honesty redoing map 6 from a pistol start was hard but also easier in a weird way like I said it was hard it was insane but it's done
    If you have access to Doom 64, you should go for that one next. It's my second favorite of the classic Doom titles, and my third favorite Doom overall (after Doom 2 and Doom 3)
    I've been going through the Remastered version of 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' on my PS4 this past week, so nostalgic and it's shocking that this game is infinitely more entertaining than most of the overpriced, broken junk developers are releasing for next-gen consoles lately.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Finally Burnout Paradise Is backward compatible on Xbox One , I love this game great fun online despite it's age.
    I've been going through the Remastered version of 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' on my PS4 this past week, so nostalgic and it's shocking that this game is infinitely more entertaining than most of the overpriced, broken junk developers are releasing for next-gen consoles lately.

San Andreas definitely my favourite GTA game played that for a very long time, great game.

If you have access to Doom 64, you should go for that one next. It's my second favorite of the classic Doom titles, and my third favorite Doom overall (after Doom 2 and Doom 3)

Doing doom and doom 3 first
    Speaking of Doom. I've been playing this Doom fangame called Doom Roguelike or Doom RL. it's pretty fun. It's Doom in the style of a turn by turn RPG. I highly recommend it.
    These people think that Super Mario Run is sexist;
    https://mic.com/articles/162436/super-mario-run-playable-characters-peach-deserves-better-than-this#.uN6xt9FqL

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    I hate this PC culture so much. Gets worse every year. So annoying.