Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,399
    There's one thing I don't really understand about video games...

Some people find it easy to develop a multiplayer, but they claim that single player campaigns require more money and a larger budget, which I don't get. Is it something to do with the story rights? Is it prohibited to make a move without an approval from the rights holder?

i think it's less to do with any kind of rights - and more to do with taking more time and money to write and produce a story.. if you think about it, most single player games today are almost like playable movies.. look at something like "The Last Of Us" - that requires not only the existing game devs to put it together - but you often times have directors, writers, actors - similar to a film production who have to plan out a storyline to play through.. with all that comes extra motion capture work (if they go that route), and then more time animating, texturing, shading, lighting, coding, etc... just the cutscenes on some of those games can be a real pain in the ass to make....

but in terms of the Friday the 13th game, it was about funds.. they didn't have the financial resources to do both, or else they would have.. they had money to do one or the other - they opted to put all their resources into multiplayer, because they felt the game would be more fun to play with a group of other people than it would be alone...

with a big AAA title like 'Star Wars: Battlefront' that came out last year... the dev teams claimed that EA was pushing hard to have the game ready for the release of The Force Awakens, and they only had enough time to do a multiplayer game... with the announcement of a Battlefront 2 on the way, they have come out and said that this time they will include a single player campaign mode
    Age of Empires 2
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    With the Star wars marathon on TNT, I'm thinking about picking up star wars battlefront for the ps4. Any thoughts?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Last_Rat_Standing, I played the Battlefront demo for a few hours and had a lot of fun with it months back. I'm not a Star Wars fan in any big way, but I think an actual fan would get an extra kick out of it. It's definitely a game made with love, as it includes Williams' scores that play in each round of the multiplayer, and has the correct sounds for the blasters and ships you can fly including entire levels made to look like locations from the films.

I'd suggest checking out some multiplayer footage of it on YouTube to see if the game is to your liking.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Finally got around to playing Uncharted 3. I'm up to chapter 12. Good game as usual, but I wish the enemies weren't such bullet sponges. I've had that issue with every game in the series, though. It just makes shooting unsatisfying and tedious.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @BMW_with_missiles, if you ever get a PS4, Uncharted 4 should be the first game you get if you are even half a fan of this series. It's one of the greatest sequels in video game form, and is the perfect Uncharted finale.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With the Star wars marathon on TNT, I'm thinking about picking up star wars battlefront for the ps4. Any thoughts?

I enjoyed the day one version of the game much more than the game of today: it's undergone a lot of patches and changes, and most I don't agree with. However, the gameplay itself is still thrilling, though you'll want to learn rather quickly which weapons are the cheap ones that get a ton of easy kills and which aren't worth bothering with.

The 'Death Star' DLC should be released for the entire public in the next week or so, as its already out for Season Pass owners. That'll be the second-to-last DLC, with the final one to drop early 2017.
    @BMW_with_missiles, if you ever get a PS4, Uncharted 4 should be the first game you get if you are even half a fan of this series. It's one of the greatest sequels in video game form, and is the perfect Uncharted finale.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I did get a PS4 recently, and Uncharted 4 was the first game I played on it. I skipped the third game and I'm just now coming back to it. The fourth was really good and is probably my favorite of the series.
    Finally bought Batman Telltale series episode one and I am enjoying immensely
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Paper Mario (2001)
    Papermario.jpg

It's been a pretty long time since I last played it. Back then I had a difficult time getting through it but I did eventually beat it. I replayed it recently and found it was a lot easier than I remember. Helps that I didn't rush to try completing it as fast as possible. But I was only 10 when it came out. Boy what a fun trip down memory lane.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Paper Mario (2001)
    Papermario.jpg

It's been a pretty long time since I last played it. Back then I had a difficult time getting through it but I did eventually beat it. I replayed it recently and found it was a lot easier than I remember. Helps that I didn't rush to try completing it as fast as possible. But I was only 10 when it came out. Boy what a fun trip down memory lane.

@Murdock The sequel, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004), is my favorite video game of all time. Unbelievably awesome experience every time.
    @FoxRox, It's one of my favorites as well. I need to replay that one too. I've never been able to beat the final boss. That's going to change one of these days. :D
    @FoxRox, It's one of my favorites as well. I need to replay that one too. I've never been able to beat the final boss. That's going to change one of these days. :D

The Shadow Queen? I eat her for breakfast :)) it's just because I've played the game so many times. I've beaten it 20 plus times for sure. Maybe even 30. And I'll keep religiously playing it until I die.
    FoxRox wrote: »

The Shadow Queen? I eat her for breakfast :)) it's just because I've played the game so many times. I've beaten it 20 plus times for sure. Maybe even 30. And I'll keep religiously playing it until I die.

Haha yeah, I get her pretty good until she eats the audience regaining her health and I'm like, Crap! I do enjoy it immensely though. It's a shame the most recent Paper Mario games haven't been up to the same standard as Thousand Year Door.

Haha yeah, I get her pretty good until she eats the audience regaining her health and I'm like, Crap! I do enjoy it immensely though. It's a shame the most recent Paper Mario games haven't been up to the same standard as Thousand Year Door.

I agree. Really is a shame. The N64 and GameCube I think have my favorite games in general actually.

I agree. Really is a shame. The N64 and GameCube I think have my favorite games in general actually.

Indeed, I don't think anything has come close to surpassing those era's yet though this new Mario game for the switch makes me think that's going to change. :)
    mario_switch_town.jpg
    Just played the fan-made "Sonic Utopia" demo. I'm not a Sonic fan (I've only played Sonic 06, just to see how awful it was), but this demo is quite good. It shows a lot of promise, and has me looking forward to the full game.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @BMW_with_missiles, there's a fan-made Sonic game coming out that the owners of the copyright aren't stopping?!
    There are tons of Sonic Fan games that the Sega isn't stopping. I wouldn't recommend looking any up unless you have a desire to bleach your eyes.
    @BMW_with_missiles, there's a fan-made Sonic game coming out that the owners of the copyright aren't stopping?!
    There are tons of Sonic Fan games that the Sega isn't stopping. I wouldn't recommend looking any up unless you have a desire to bleach your eyes.

I think Sega realized that no fan could screw up the Sonic franchise more than they themselves have already.

Anyway, here's a page about Sonic Utopia, with download links, if anyone's interested.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/sonic-utopia-is-a-fan-made-open-world-sonic-the-hedgehog-demo/
    That demo looks fantastic, I'm so trying that out. Speaking of games not made by original IP holders, I've been playing this Super Mario 64 Mod called "Last Impact." And it's completely awesome. New levels, power ups, and bosses. It takes everything great about Mario 64 and makes it even better and feels like a real Mario game. I highly recommend it.

I can't believe Nintendo allowed that when they wouldn't be getting a slice of the pie.
    There are lots of these Mario 64 hacks as well. This is another one I highly recommend and enjoy.

@Murdock Those mods look pretty neat! The legal issues around emulation always keep me away though.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,107
    Alpha Protocol, underrated spy action rpg. Mix between MI-Bourne-Bond.

Very mission based. Even though you become rogue after the first set of missions, you'll feel like an agent on missions.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 13,882
    Alpha Protocol was an excellent game. A pity that no sequel was made.

Lately I have had an odd craving for Bloodstone. So I have been giving it another go. The driving sections are the best of any Bond game (Nightfire & Everything Or Nothing included). But the on-foot sections needed some more work. The inclusion of a crouch feature for starters. In terms of depiction of Craigs Bond, this would be my next favourite after Spectre.

M: "I put my trust, in Bond."

It took a video game to get it right.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed, and unlike the film counterparts, Blood Stone actually does represent Bond as an agent of Her Majesty's Government that can be trusted and relied upon, which is why I love its cinematic interpretation of the story it has developed.
    Bloodstone is definitely one of the best Bond games. It's risen considerably in my rankings on recent play throughs of a few levels.
    It's so good, I often play it between my movie marathon. It's the adventure we didn't get in the cinema two years after QoS and before Skyfall. We did get to watch, but we also got to interract.
  • Battlefront Death Star DLC Looks phenomenal dogfights in a asteroid belt is great fun.