Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Just finished Aliens: Colonial Marines and I have to say, I don't understand the hate this game gets. The story isn't great but it's okay, and I had a few glitches, but overall I really enjoyed it. It's by no means the same horror experience as Alien: Isolation, but when you make a game a shooter and give the player a way to easily defend themselves the horror aspect is bound to go out the window. It wasn't meant to be that kind of horror game, but even still, there is a section of the game in the sewer where your defenses are taken away and it's genuinely scary. I had a fun time and would highly recommend it.
    Super Metroid (1994) - for the first time! Absolutely incredible video game; now I know why people call it one of the best ever. It is.
    Playing on Fifa 17 - doing The Journey mode as Alex Hunter, playing for Hull City but currently on loan at Newcastle United. Got an Xbox One S with it a few weeks back - it's incredible in 5.1 surround sound!
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Super Metroid (1994) - for the first time! Absolutely incredible video game; now I know why people call it one of the best ever. It is.
    I played Super Metroid a couple of months ago, also for the first time. Brilliant game.
    Are they making a Metroid game for the Switch?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Metroid games are one of their worst sellers, so I believe that is very much up in the air right now. Nintendo's handing of their conference and new console is one of the biggest eyesores in gaming history, and it sadly comes at a time when they really needed to impress and prove dissenters wrong.
    The Metroid games are one of their worst sellers, so I believe that is very much up in the air right now. Nintendo's handing of their conference and new console is one of the biggest eyesores in gaming history, and it sadly comes at a time when they really needed to impress and prove dissenters wrong.

Yeah heard the conference didn't go so well. I also think they're pricing themselves out of the market (in the UK anyway). Switch is retailing at £280 with no game bundled; 300 and something with Zelda. Xbox One and PS4 both cheaper with bundled games and will have all the games that Nintendo won't get. Fifa will be on the Switch, but it will be a port of the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2017 Posts: 28,694
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Yeah heard the conference didn't go so well. I also think they're pricing themselves out of the market (in the UK anyway). Switch is retailing at £280 with no game bundled; 300 and something with Zelda. Xbox One and PS4 both cheaper with bundled games and will have all the games that Nintendo won't get. Fifa will be on the Switch, but it will be a port of the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.

In America the Switch is priced as $300 and the pro controller (an alternative to the default controllers) are approaching $70, while the default controllers come in pairs worth $80 together and around $50 each if bought separately. This doesn't even factor in all the other accessories coming to market , including storage cards priced at $200 and above that every gamer will need if they plan on playing more than two games on the Switch, because the hard drive storage of the device is so poor. Just the new Zelda game will take up 40% of the storage on the device, for crying out loud.

If those crazy prices don't change, Nintendo are in big trouble because Sony and Microsoft price cheaper and have endlessly better deals, games and bundles to offer consumers. Not to mention that their reputation and business practices are already horrid.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2017 Posts: 16,331
    The Switch takes Micro SD cards so you can get those pretty cheap. Since it's presumably cartridge based Memory won't be a problem so much.
    Played through Resident Evil 7.
    It wasn't really all that scary, which I kinda guessed from the gameplay trailers. Sure, there was some occasions I had a scare. But I was nervous for most of the the eleven hour I played the game.

It was mostly a self contained story. Only at the later part of the game it had some ties to the full resident evil lore. The end left the room open for a sequel. For the playable character this was conclusive end. But there was few things that were shown in the ending sequence that raised questions about the the bigger things happening after Resident Evil 6 and the current events. Nothing was told but there was a few things that were shown.
    Chris Redfield, now motion scanned by a new actor, which have left some people, and I'm not one of them, saying; that's not CR, he's fake, hunk, a third Redfield et cetera, rescuing you and when you all leave in a chopper, it has the Umbrella logo on it. Expect the color of the logo is in blue now, instead of red, like it was back in the old previous games. They have to expand this story in the sequel or dlc. Probably in the sequel or in Revelations type of spin off.

It was not perfect. I thought it ended too soon. But I guess sometimes you want more. As self contained story it works well. Just for me to want to know more about the events that surrounded this story doesn't necessary mean you have to drag the story any longer. Maybe we get to know more in Revelations 3 or RE 8.

It's not quite a 10 out of 10 game, so I'll give it a 8/10.

I really hope that Nintendo eventually learns to do what Sega did and become a software only company. The only things they have that are worth anything are their ip's, but it's not worth buying an entire console just to play a new Mario and Zelda game. Mario can run around just fine on the PS4 and X Box, which is why I'm hoping that the Switch will be as much of a flop as the WiiU.
    I think Nintendo will find out quite quickly from cancelled pre-orders and low sales that they have a problem on their hands. They made a supremely weak console that can't even do voice chat natively, which the consoles of even 15 years ago were able to do. The games are the same old Mario and Link titles, and their launch titles are so scarce it's only going to be a system to play Breath of the Wild before Mario comes around, if that even meets its projected release.

The prices they have for the system and all its accessories can run you near $500 and beyond, meaning that the market of kids they could've benefited from won't be getting the system as a gift from their parents any time soon. They should've held off and released it during the holiday season where they could make instant sales. Doing it now just makes no sense.
    It's also an issue that Breath of the Wild will be releasing for the WiiU on the same day as it launches with the Switch. If there is any shortage of Switch units, or copies of Breath of the Wild for the Switch, or if people just don't feel like spending a lot of money on a Switch, they'll just buy Breath of the Wild for the WiiU and they may pass on the Switch entirely.
    The Wii U version doesn't come out on the same day as the Switch version.
    Playing on Fifa 17 - doing The Journey mode as Alex Hunter, playing for Hull City but currently on loan at Newcastle United. Got an Xbox One S with it a few weeks back - it's incredible in 5.1 surround sound!

How does it compare with Fifa 16?

Murdock wrote: »
    The Wii U version doesn't come out on the same day as the Switch version.

@Murdock Quoting IGN; "Nintendo has revealed that Breath of the Wild will release on March 3, 2017, alongside the Switch. It will also come to the Wii U on the same day."

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/01/13/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-release-date-announced
    Ah they changed it on me. :P
  • FoxRox wrote: »

kinda overrated and didn't age well at all, Metroid prime will be playable for the next century it's easily the best of the series!

• edited January 2017 Posts: 67
    Dragon's dogma Dark arisen!
    I present the better alternative to the Switch; the GPD Win portable full Windows 10 gaming PC with built-in controller for $360: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3525789217&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+Notebooks/Tablet+PCs-_-9SIA3525789217&gclid=CjwKEAiAwfzDBRCRmJe7z_7h8yQSJAC4corOEBOSwgVOAbqnIKJoXQuTRECynBtSnCAZN9Cc2hIXxRoC-3Lw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The fact that you don't have to pay for multiplayer, and that PC games are cheaper (especially with Steam sales) would easily make up the $60 price difference. On top of that, you have a pocket sized Windows 10 PC with a keyboard for getting business done on the go. Granted, many of the newest titles on low settings usually get frame rates comparable to the N64, if they run at all, but older titles will obviously do better. There is also the option of running emulators for even more portable gaming fun.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Splinter Cell (XBX)
    The birth of one of my favourite videogame series. The last mission I played, was the 'Kalinatek' one. I like to think of the 6 games as being like the first 6 Bond films. This first game, while showing it's age, still had an innovative use of lighting/shadows, and remains one of my favourite espionage/stealth based games.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Splinter Cell (XBX)
    The birth of one of my favourite videogame series. The last mission I played, was the 'Kalinatek' one. I like to think of the 6 games as being like the first 6 Bond films. This first game, while showing it's age, still had an innovative use of lighting/shadows, and remains one of my favourite espionage/stealth based games.

Those early few 'Splinter Cell' titles are some of my favorite in the series, and definitely some of the best stealth games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I'm surprised this series hasn't had a new installment with a return to its stealth roots, I'd definitely give it a go.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Splinter Cell (XBX)

Those early few 'Splinter Cell' titles are some of my favorite in the series, and definitely some of the best stealth games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I'm surprised this series hasn't had a new installment with a return to its stealth roots, I'd definitely give it a go.

I enjoy replaying them all except for Conviction, which i've never played because it was never ported to the PS3. At some point, I will pick up a XBX 360 for those XBX exclusives.

There is, or was, a rumour going around that the next game is in development, and Ironside is going to return. It's looking more like Bond with each game. ;)
    My interest in another one would've lessened if Ironside wasn't returning - his voice makes the role for me, and having anyone else as Sam Fisher's voice actor doesn't work. Hopefully we do get a return to the series soon enough! Can't imagine the visual quality and scope they could pull off with these next-gen systems.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Not an avid gamer myself, but for the past 5 or 6 months I've been playing a number of retro games, some for the first time. As I mentioned in an earlier post a few days ago, I recently started replaying GoldenEye 64. Finished it last night.

What a great game! I tried the "00 Agent" difficulty level for the very first time and I was really surprised to discover two bonus levels after I finished the game. I had read about them, but didn't remember anything until I saw them. I was really excited to fight against Jaws and Baron Samedi.
    Bought a hard copy of Titanfall 2 PS4 and was looking forward to playing it today. I popped it in, and I have to wait several hours for it to install and download updates. Ended up playing Goldeneye instead. Modern gaming is fun. Still looking forward to Titanfall though.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    My interest in another one would've lessened if Ironside wasn't returning - his voice makes the role for me, and having anyone else as Sam Fisher's voice actor doesn't work. Hopefully we do get a return to the series soon enough! Can't imagine the visual quality and scope they could pull off with these next-gen systems.

Going back to what I said about Bond and SP, Blacklist, the 6th game, and the one without Michael Ironside as Fisher... I like that game as well. It's still fisher, he just doesn't look or sound like the Fisher we'd come to know over previous games. If Ironside does return, I pray that it won't be the series' DAF. I don't want to see an out of shape Fisher with a bad wig.
    I finally got around to playing Timesplitters 2 today. The game was developed by the same people responsible for GE N64, featuring numerous nods to the game, and even features music by the same composer. I didn't have much time to play it, and I didn't even get past the first level, but I'm very impressed with this game. It's amazing to play a dual analogue shooter that aims like GE. Not only is there the obvious fact of the crosshairs instead of ADS, but the sight even moves like GE. It's is very fast and responsive, and unlike the COD clones of today, or even older shooters like AUF and NF, the sight doesn't stay where you leave it, you have to hold the analogue stick in the position you want the crosshairs to be; just like GE. It's difficult to describe, but the feeling is awesome! The game also lets you create your own maps, a feature I was completely unaware of and never expected in a PS2 game. I would highly recommend this game to fans of Bond games, and fans of shooters in general.

@BMW_with_missiles, that's why I don't like buying games digitally: there's that split-second moment of excitement, knowing I immediately own it after purchase...before I realize there will be an inevitable 20-50GB install that'll take at least a day to download.

@MajorDSmythe, I hope that isn't the case, either: just keep that crisp voice of his attached to a younger version of Fisher, and return the game to its roots of stealth. I'd buy the game day one, no questions asked, if that was the case. I don't want another generic third-person shooter, I want to go back to the roots of the original.
    @Creasy47 Digital downloads are a pain, and on my 1.5 Mbps middle-of-nowhere internet they take forever. That's why I bought a physical copy of Titanfall 2, but it still had a large, day one update. The game also took a long time to install from the disc to the PS4, about 8 hours, which seemed strange. It's a fantastic game though!