Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Creasy47 Digital downloads are a pain, and on my 1.5 Mbps middle-of-nowhere internet they take forever. That's why I bought a physical copy of Titanfall 2, but it still had a large, day one update. The game also took a long time to install from the disc to the PS4, about 8 hours, which seemed strange. It's a fantastic game though!

I know the feeling! Living in wild, wonderful West Virginia has its perks, such as an Internet connection that is equivalent to plugging an ethernet cable into a potato and hoping for Internet access, it's awful here.

That is odd, those disc-to-console installs are usually fairly quick. Even though the physical and digital editions of games always use up the same amount of storage space, that's why I like buying hard copies of them: allows me to delete games whenever I'd like, without having to worry about an insanely long download if I should ever decide to download them again.
    Yakuza 0

Never tried the series before. Very, err...japanese.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Yakuza 0

Never tried the series before. Very, err...japanese.

I saw a few gameplay videos of that one, seemed a bit too goofy for my tastes. It's also a bit nitpicky, but I can't stand games that don't utilize ragdoll physics to some degree.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    While Chaos Theory is a better game on a technical level, Pandora Tomorrow is my favourite game of the series, if that makes sense.
  • I've been playing a bit of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on the PS2 lately - just unlocked the desert portion of the game. While not my favorite GTA, it's arguably the best game in the entire PS2 library.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited February 2017 Posts: 299
    I was thinking about getting Wolfenstein The New Order and The Old Blood, never played those games before but I like the setting and style, and they seem to be good value for money, can anyone recommend?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    @NSGW - I encountered a game breaking glitch in The New Order, early on in the game. I don't know if anyone else encountered it, but I have found talk of game breaking glitches later in the game. Up until the glitch happened, I had been enjoying it.

EDIT
    For what it's worth, I played it on the PS3 (and without any updates/patches installed).
  • NSGWNSGW London
    @MajorDSmythe;697747 Thanks for the heads up. I was going to download them from the Xbox One store so I'm hoping those problems may have been fixed by now.

I'm also about to finish playing Batman: Return to Arkham, having great memories of playing Asylum and City from when they first came out.
    Which glitch was that, @MajorDSmythe? The only glitch I had hoped to come into contact with was the one that would've allowed beating it on UBER to be a breeze. Alas, the cards weren't in my favor, so I had to beat it on 1999 Mode for the trophy.

@NSGW, I actually nabbed the Platinum Trophy on 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' about a month back, and had a blast. Invoked some of these feelings I had as a kid, playing those batshit insane, crazy shoot-em-up games that were very OTT. I got my copy very cheap, too, so it was more than worth it.

@CrzChris4, that's another one I've played and completed over the last couple of months, only I went with the PS4 'Remastered' version. Also managed to get the Platinum for that, and 'Grand Theft Auto III' whenever I played that on my PS4, too.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Which glitch was that, @MajorDSmythe? The only glitch I had hoped to come into contact with was the one that would've allowed beating it on UBER to be a breeze. Alas, the cards weren't in my favor, so I had to beat it on 1999 Mode for the trophy.

If I remember right, it was when the lead character awakes in a hospital, an objective marker leads the player into a bathroom, where a brief cut-scene takes place, following this, the character becomes stuck to the bath with an industrial strength adhesive. No matter how many times I restarted from the recent checkpoint, or even deleting my save and starting over, that !"£$%?( bath got me every time.
    Interesting! I recall the part you're mentioning, but don't remember ever getting stuck in there, thankfully.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894

Grimsdotir: "What do you think?"
    Fisher: "The world is small, nasty and complicated, and everybody dies alone."
    Grimsdotir: "What do you think about Norman Soth?"
    Fisher: "He's small, nasty and complicated. I guess how he'll die, is up to him.

I just finished the Paris-Nice, France mission, the one on the Train. Due to the close quarters (as well as the 1 alarm = failure margin for error), this remains my favourite mission of the game, and in turn, the series.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Final Fantasy XV

I'm about to finish the story. It's really good but really short. I was expecting about a 40 hour story, not a 20 hour story. Still though, it's one of my favorite FF games, along with FFX.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I just finished Titanfall 2; it was the best game I've ever played. No hyperbole, no exaggeration, it's the best game I've ever experienced. I have never seen so many varied, inventive mechanics in one game. I haven't seen a shooter bring so many new things to FPS in a long time. You might expect that in a game about piloting combat robots, any on-foot sections wouldn't be up to snuff or as fully fleshed out as the rest of the game, but they are every bit as fully developed as the titan sections. Everything is solid. Everything is well made. Everything is smooth. Everything works. The game brings to mind the innovation and creativity of Portal, and actually feels very reminiscent of it at times. The game leaves things open for a sequel, but still has a solid, satisfying ending. I fully intend to buy the inevitable follow up when it releases. If you're thinking about picking up a copy, but the fact that you haven't played the first Titanfall is holding you back, don't let that stop you. The first game was online multiplayer only, and apparently had very little story. I haven't played the first, and it didn't matter because Titanfall 2 is essentially the first in the actual narrative. I cannot praise this game highly enough, and I'm so glad to see that there is still inventiveness in modern gaming.
    @BMW_with_missiles, damn, the full game must really be something. I played the beta for it; the online was alright, but just felt like the newer CoD titles with robots.

Fisher: "He's small, nasty and complicated. I guess how he'll die, is up to him.

I just finished the Paris-Nice, France mission, the one on the Train. Due to the close quarters (as well as the 1 alarm = failure margin for error), this remains my favourite mission of the game, and in turn, the series.
    I miss the splinter cell franchise
    Batman: Arkham Knight

Going on my second play through. Easily the best of the series. With how this one ended, I think it would be cool to explore other characters in the Batman universe. I recently played the Harley Quinn DLC and I feel they could make a Suicide Squad game.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @BMW_with_missiles, damn, the full game must really be something. I played the beta for it; the online was alright, but just felt like the newer CoD titles with robots.

@Creasy47 I'm sure the multiplayer isn't anything special (I haven't played it since I'm not willing to buy PS+), but the campaign has some very unique mechanics, many of which are almost Portal-like puzzle solving techniques. Not to give anything away, but one section has you navigating a derelict facility by shifting through time. Very awesome!
    @BMW_with_missiles, perhaps that's why - I'm not sure how people feel overall about the MP, but I've heard a lot of glowing comments and reviews regarding the single player. I may have to check it out sometime.

I'm a little under two and a half hours into 'Resident Evil 7' and loving it. Definitely hinges on the ominous/creepy side more than an outright "scary" game (which is good, since I'm a bitch when it comes to horror games). Currently, I:
    Just escaped the house that leads you outside to the trailer. Fine-tuning my player inventory/item box inventory, and managed to have enough Antique Coins for a .44 Magnum. It has only one round in it, but given that it cost so much for me to obtain, I can only surmise this thing is scary good when it comes to big enemies/boss fights later on down the road.
    Cold Fear
    One of the most underappreciated examples of the survival horror genre.
    Risico007 wrote: »

I miss the splinter cell franchise

Rumour has it that a new one, with Ironside returning as Fisher, is in the works. [-O<
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Just escaped the house that leads you outside to the trailer. Fine-tuning my player inventory/item box inventory, and managed to have enough Antique Coins for a .44 Magnum. It has only one round in it, but given that it cost so much for me to obtain, I can only surmise this thing is scary good when it comes to big enemies/boss fights later on down the road.
    The final boss of the game whittled down all my ammo, then I pulled out the trusty Magnum..... One shot!
    Next playthrough I'm gonna just try that first and see how it does!

@Master_Dahark, duly noted! I just got to the part where:
    You fight Marguerite in the greenhouse, which is terrifying, and she kicked my ass my first go at her. Was trying to go with a shotgun/flamer combo, but the next time I do it, I'm bringing along that grenade launcher and .44.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Does anyone here have Battlefield 1? Is it better than 4?
    Does anyone here have Battlefield 1? Is it better than 4?

It's definitely not as good as 'Battlefield 4,' but I've managed to enjoy it plenty, enough to warrant a purchase.

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Is it the layout? Controls? What don't you like?
    Is it the layout? Controls? What don't you like?

My issues pertain to certain glitches still making it into these titles that have existed for years, an overall lack of weaponry/customization (there are a lot of "weapons," but each class pretty much has three or four base weapons, with variants that may include a scope or bipod, etc.), and sometimes it takes way too long to kill. I know it's WW1 and they're going for realism, but when other parts of the game are rather unbalanced, there's no sense in 10-round guns requiring four or five rounds to cut down another player.

Having mentioned those gripes, I think the maps and graphics are incredible, paving the way to a lot of thrilling, cinematic moments in any game mode. It's even more fun getting to play it with friends. It's one of the few online games I've been playing recently, ended up getting the Season Pass so I can try out all the new stuff next month.

edited February 2017 Posts: 1,812
    ?w=620&h=413&crop=1&hash=C70C6090098EC719A3D479B17FF899D31C6388E7

I really wasn't excited to play this but I'm glad I still checked it out. It's really fun but there is a major learning curve to it. When you win a duel against another player you can't help but feel like a major badass.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,107
    The first two episodes of Batman the Telltale series.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Alright, I come to you lads in an hour of need. I've been put in a devastating position, and don't know who to look towards for help. I can't face this alone, and am requesting-nay-begging for assistance...

The Playstation Store is having a "Critic's Choice" game sale (likely to comment on the upcoming Oscar awards), and one of the games on sale for cheap is the Complete Edition of The Witcher 3 with all of its DLC, including the two expansion packs.

I initially sat out the release of The Witcher 3 in 2015 for many reasons. For one, I had no idea what the story of the series was, and thought I'd be lost just jumping into the third entry out of the blue. But even more than that, the overwhelming RPG elements and scope of the game exhausted me just thinking about it, and I knew I'd lose my mind trying to play it blind.

I know some here have played the game, including @Creasy47 who I trust on these matters, and so I ask you all if you think the Witcher 3 is up my alley? I love open world, meaty games more than any out there, so do you think that the aspects of the game that I look for will balance out my apprehension at the heavy RPG elements and the anxiety I feel for not knowing the full story of Geralt and the crew?

This game has been on my mind a lot lately, and I've been tempted to try it, then this week it's suddenly on sale for $25, which is a steal, given its massive content. It seems like a message/sign from the gaming Gods, and I'd feel like an idiot not jumping to get it.

Thoughts?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,492
    If I know you as well as I hope, Brady, I think you'd absolutely be more than satisfied with that game. Funny you mention that sale, I was just eyeballing it a few hours ago because the Season Pass was on sale, and I was debating picking it up (I own the base version of the game - have played it before and loved it, but it's still part of my backlog). The complete bundle would be worth the MSRP price alone, but for $25, that's thievery. You should pick it up.

Any interest in next week's 'Horizon: Zero Dawn'? That's also gotten some rave reviews for its characterization, narrative, and incredible open world. I'm looking forward to trying that out once it gets here in the mail.

EDIT: I'm also not one to buy games solely for the graphical quality - I've always been more focused on gameplay/replayability than that - but it's definitely one of those games that I find myself screencapping moments every few minutes, because of how absolutely lush and beautiful the world is, from the sunsets and scenery, down to the tiny details like the grass/fields. It's visually stunning.