"SPECTRE" Appreciation Topic (...and why you think the 24th Bond film was the best spy film of 2015)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I like both Pemberton and Arnold a lot. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure Pemberton has had the benefit of a full orchestra for any of his scores yet. Would love to see what he could do with big brass and string sections. Arnold has had some wayward moments, but the evolution of his sound from TND to QoS is great imo. There's an urgency to Arnold's work that I like.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    RC7 wrote: »
    I like both Pemberton and Arnold a lot. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure Pemberton has had the benefit of a full orchestra for any of his scores yet. Would love to see what he could do with big brass and string sections. Arnold has had some wayward moments, but the evolution of his sound from TND to QoS is great imo. There's an urgency to Arnold's work that I like.

Pemberton's scores have been quite minimalist and restrained in that regard. I'd imagine his Bond scores would be closer to Newman than Barry but with a bit more of an old-school twist. His "UNCLE" score is a great ride, and his BBC drama efforts are beautiful.

Arnold is a big, brassy action composer who knows how to create a motif and structure the scores the same way Barry did, which is very important. He's a great musician.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Arnold is a big, brassy action composer who knows how to create a motif and structure the scores the same way Barry did, which is very important. He's a great musician.
    Dave is da man. Never heard a bad score from him.
  • Arnold is occasionally too loud, especially in CR, but he's composed a lot of classics. "Come in 007, Your Time Is Up" is classic, as is much of TND.
    Last post October 2016?? Ri-di-cu-lous! I am watching the incredible train fight scene again. Now with some added John Barry music, but you still can hear the incredible deep sounds edited by Perr Hallberg and Karen Baker-Landers. It's.....astonishing:

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    One of my favorite moments of the film. Great fight.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The best film in the Craig era. Visually stunning and the best sets since at least GoldenEye.
    Second best ensemble cast after CR.

Incidentally I'll watch it tomorrow night as the second last in my current Bondathon.
    It's due for a rewatch from me as well.
    I watched it last in October 2016! That's just not right ha ha....
    Sounds around the last time I watched it. I was starting to get fatigued from my Bondathon. =))
    I have even two Bondathons running at the same time :))

I started a mini-thon with the Moore films...
    I watched Spectre last night for the first time since last fall. Craigs 4th outing IMO feels less suffocated & is allowed to breathe compared to his earlier 3. Craig needed SP to cement his legacy
    Personally, I think Craig performs the best possible Bond in "SPECTRE". With that I mean that his Bond in SP is more rounded, more like the sophisticated, established spy that Connery portrayed in his early films. Less of a blunt instrument who needs to learn more, but more of an experienced spy who actually finished the film by reporting in to 'M' (in the Hildebrand safehouse). I still think "SPECTRE" received too much unfair criticism.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Almost only from the Skyfall fanatics and almost all critics gave very good reviews.
    It's the Americans only and they should not be that important.
    Bond is British and SP came saw and conquered in the UK and Europe.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 337
    I like the fact that they're willing to take steps towards the more extravagant and "cheesy" Bond of the past, which is why I prefer Spectre over Skyfall, but in terms of sheer movie production SF is clearly better, IMO.

Certainly the references to older Bond movies wasn't lost on me in SP (and the fact that they swiftly referenced LALD, my first and favourite, was nice), but the film itself is something of a mess and is unfortunately still somewhat dreary and dull.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I like the fact that they're willing to take steps towards the more extravagant and "cheesy" Bond of the past, which is why I prefer Spectre over Skyfall,l but in terms of sheer movie production then SF is clearly better, IMO.

Certainly the references to older Bond movies wasn't lost on me in SP (and the fact that they swiftly referenced LALD, my first and favourite, was nice), but the film itself is something of a mess and is unfortunately still somewhat dreary and dull.
    +1. This chap understands it! :D
    SP does indeed get too much of a bad press tbh,but the final 3rd of the film and the London scenes are terrible.

And the score throughout is bland and lazy.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    SP does indeed get too much of a bad press tbh,but the final 3rd of the film and the London scenes are terrible.

Let's change the posts in this topic. We first start blasting the quality of the film and mention several examples for that. And we end each post on a good note, with all the positive films the movie has on offer :-D!
    barryt007 wrote: »

Let's change the posts in this topic. We first start blasting the quality of the film and mention several examples for that. And we end each post on a good note, with all the positive films the movie has on offer :-D!

That's why the film sits slap-bang in the middle of my rankings at #12 GG !!

Almost only from the Skyfall fanatics and almost all critics gave very good reviews.
    It's the Americans only and they should not be that important.
    Bond is British and SP came saw and conquered in the UK and Europe.

It might have conquered the box offices in Europe but still I have yet to meet a single person that wasn't somehow bored by it. As are related Sheila somewhere else for most of the time when I asked somebody about it I get a shrug and a "so lala" which for many people is the polite way of saying "I don't like it".
    It's still one of my favourite Bonds. Groovy every single time.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It's still one of my favourite Bonds. Groovy every single time.

yeah baby yeah!
    That's probably why they say that there's no arguing about taste.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 17,687
    Here's a list of the 21st Century Bonds in order of how much I've watched them and why to see where SP is on it:
    #1 DAD. This is really because it's been out the longest. Excellent Brosnan Bond in an overall mindless film. Entertaining enough.
    #2 QOS. It's a fast, hard ride. Dan rocks in it like Sean did in FRWL. Never bores or disappoints.
    #3 SP. Fun Bond, a throwback to TB style. Easy, comfortable watch.
    #4 CR. Good adaption of the novel, solid direction. A little long with some pretentious dialogue, but overall nicely done.
    #5 SF. This one's so uneven that I have a hard time getting through it... is he washed up, is he not... is he superhuman, is he over the hill... is he smart, is he stupid... it's like a very dark MR...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Here's a list of the 21st Century Bonds in order of how much I've watched them and why to see where SP is on it:
    #1 DAD. This is really because it's been out the longest. Excellent Brosnan Bond in an overall mindless film. Entertaining enough.
    #2 QOS. It's a fast, hard tide. Dan rocks in it like Sean did in FRWL. Never bores or disappoints.
    #3 SP. Fun Bond, a throwback to TB style. Easy, comfortable watch.
    #4 CR. Good adaption of the novel, solid direction. A little long with some pretentious dialogue, but overall nicely done.
    #5 SF. This one's so uneven that I have a hard time getting through it... is he washed up, is he not... is he superhuman, is he over the hill... is he smart, is he stupid... it's like a very dark MR...

OMG
    OMG absolutely, because that list is so spot-on, it's almost ridiculous @chrisisall
    OMG absolutely, because that list is so spot-on, it's almost ridiculous @chrisisall

Thanks- lemme say that even though I am not SF's biggest fan, I see a LOT of greatness in it. It's just that SP blows me away every time I watch it with the ridiculous fun I have!
    And with that, I am watching SP again tonight!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
    I hope you enjoyed it @chrisisall
    I still haven't even if I plan it since a week.

SPECTRE is the kind of film that needs a special occasion. Like OHMSS or GE.

If I need a Bond it's more the likes of DAF, TSWLM, FYEO, TND, DAD or QOS.

If we all follow your 'advice', which on so many occassions is formulated as fact, then 100% of all forummembers in here will suddenly loveeee " SPECTRE" :-).