"SPECTRE" Appreciation Topic (...and why you think the 24th Bond film was the best spy film of 2015)

Comments

• edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    The annoying thing about the score in SP is that we hear lots of the Bond theme in the background in the PTS: at the carnival,in the hotel room,and the brilliant scene of Bond walking along the roof tops to his shooting position.

But when the actual film starts,it all disappears...this is one weakness with SF as well,a decent score.
    This is one of the major strengths of CR,a fantastic score all the way through.
    Even if the Bond theme doesn't appear until later,the score was good enough to keep us all interested and wrapped up in the story.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited September 2016 Posts: 2,252
    This is where I appreciate Arnold's respect of the Bond sound. If you listen to the ones he is involved with (Surrender, TWINE, CR, No Good About Goodbye), the theme songs all have motifs of the Bond theme. Give me that over a chart topping hit anyday (yes that includes LALD and AVTAK). Heck even AWTD is Bondian in the melody.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    w2bond wrote: »
    This is where I appreciate Arnold's respect of the Bond sound. If you listen to the ones he is involved with (Surrender, TWINE, CR, No Good About Goodbye), the theme songs all have motifs of the Bond theme. Give me that over a chart topping hit anyday (yes that includes LALD and AVTAK). Heck even AWTD is Bondian in the melody.
    +1
    w2bond wrote: »

Totally agree,we could do a lot worse than getting Arnold back in the team.

I haven't much like Newman's Bond, but am I the only one who doesn't want Arnold back?
    After wrapping up the first season of Alias, I can safely say I want Michael Giacchino for Bond 25.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,296
    The point is, there's plenty of talented composers out there, we don't need to go back on the juvenile sounds of David Arnold. Let's get something going a little more lush, darker, more mature.... I don't care if it sounds like Barry, I just wanti t to be good. Sorry guys.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    The point is, there's plenty of talented composers out there, we don't need to go back on the juvenile sounds of David Arnold. Let's get something going a little more lush, darker, more mature.... I don't care if it sounds like Barry, I just wanti t to be good. Sorry guys.
    Now you're speaking my language. More than anything, we need a new approach in the scoring dept imho. Something daring and ground breaking. My #1 desire for B25.
    Going back to Arnold now would be like going back to the boyfriend who was boring and kind of sucked, but he's comfortable so you fall into his arms and weep bitterly as the juvenile spytrash resumes once more.....

Let's move on.
    Going back to Arnold now would be like going back to the boyfriend who was boring and kind of sucked, but he's comfortable so you fall into his arms and weep bitterly as the juvenile spytrash resumes once more.....

Let's move on.

Yes let's move on @IGUANNA
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I loved Arnold's score with Tomorrow Never Dies, Quantum of Solace and bits of Die Another Day... Well, I'm saying "bits" because the techno beats kept ruining numerous wonderful tracks for me, even though the instruments play beautiful melodies. Arnold is a safe choice, but I want someone who creates the spy feel very well and doesn't go for random suspense motifs and blow of brasses without consecutive notes in mind.

I want someone who writes a melody for each track that shouldn't depend on the reactive nanoseconds of a scene. I want a melody that compliments the scene AND makes it feel like a spy soundtrack. Jazz hints, traditional Bond inspired guitar strings (Vic Flick style) that's often called the spy sound (and it doesn't have to be The James Bond Theme being used for the cue), and orchestral violins doing a spy theme gone hand in hand with the brasses. Michael Giacchino knows how to do this. Just listen to his The Incredibles score.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll take Arnold any day over someone who doesn't have the balls to use the Bond theme.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'll take Arnold any day over someone who doesn't have the balls to use the Bond theme.
    Agreed.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I think it's a financial matter, which they covered up by saying that using the Bond theme sparingly makes it all the more satisfying, or something like that.
    Bloody hell,all the money they throw at the films and they cut down the most famous element apart from Bond himself ....
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Maybe it would be seen as being too obvious but I would have thought the ideal music for the plane chase would have been the revamped OHMSS theme from the trailer.

F**k yes.

Absolute no brainer. The trailer music was close to perfection. So tragic we had to put up with Newman's turgid scribblings instead.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Totally agree,we could do a lot worse than getting Arnold back in the team.

We just have mate - for the last two films.
    Murdock wrote: »

This.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Let's move on.

Agreed. This is what I've also been saying. I'm not a fan of Newman's Bond work but that doesn't mean EoN should go back to what came before. This mindset doesn't allow for things to evolve and get better. With Mendes and hopefully Newman gone (good riddance to the guy) EoN should get in a new creative team; starting with new writers. They have the money, it's time to start upgrading and spending money on much needed talent and not on lame car chases and crappy explosions no one cares about. New writers, new director and a new composer. This is the best time to get out of the comfortzone and be bold in heading towards a different direction.
    Yes i agree actually with most of the chaps here..cut away from the past...there must be an unlimited supply of composers waiting to step up to the plate..keep Arnold etc in the past...you are right.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think a great way to select a new composer is if someone did something like Arnold's Shaken and Stirred.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    What's wrong with getting guys to do some sort of audition?

This is Bond it should be a privilege to get it not a chore like Newman made it appear.

Get them to score a GB and the plane chase and see what they come up with.

At the moment @Murdock is in pole position.

This is Bond it should be a privilege to get it not a chore like Newman made it appear.

As long as it doesnt get out to the press...the headlines will scream '007's X-Factor'...but the idea is good.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getting Arnold back would be a solid way to see off Craig's era. Unlike a lot of people here, I think he's one of the best composers around these days. He is old school traditions wrapped up in modern sounds, very far from juvenile.

If we then decided to move on, I wouldn't mind seeing Giacchino, Daniel Pemberton or Clint Mansell take a stab at it.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Going back to the positives, I absolutely love the train fight. I get sentimental about the FRWL fight, but dare I say SP surpasses it by upping it a few notches in the brutality and futility (for Bond) of it. Also excellent use of the environment
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Getting Arnold back would be a solid way to see off Craig's era. Unlike a lot of people here, I think he's one of the best composers around these days. He is old school traditions wrapped up in modern sounds, very far from juvenile.

If we then decided to move on, I wouldn't mind seeing Giacchino, Daniel Pemberton or Clint Mansell take a stab at it.
    I'm with you on this.
  • What is it with this David Arnold guy. He's barely doing movies anyway.

Choose Daniel Pemberton.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    What is it with this David Arnold guy. He's barely doing movies anyway.

Choose Daniel Pemberton.
    Of the two, I'd prefer Pemberton as well. It's not even close for me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That would be a good idea. If they're not going to use the Bond theme, then they are not going to be hired. Making them score a generic gunbarrel would be the next step in the audition.

I never had a problem with David Arnold, and would welcome his return. Arnold understood the importance of the Bond theme, and before the series rebooted, he used the Bond theme accordingly.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited September 2016 Posts: 3,985

That would be a good idea. If they're not going to use the Bond theme, then they are not going to be hired. Making them score a generic gunbarrel would be the next step in the audition.

I never had a problem with David Arnold, and would welcome his return. Arnold understood the importance of the Bond theme, and before the series rebooted, he used the Bond theme accordingly.

Arnold knew exactly when to use the Bond theme and not overdo it. He took Barry's idea of utilising music from the theme songs into the score, which works a treat.

His music for the Boat chase in TWINE is just fantastic. Using the guitar Bond theme briefly as the Jet boat thunders along one of the Thames's canals.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Choose Daniel Pemberton.

Good choice.

I'm bipolar with SP. Was a fun film. My kids have a renewed interest in it too.

That's the way Bond is though. Sometimes just get so angry but then I something always jars me back.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Choose Daniel Pemberton.

The frequency at which he does projects is not relevant to the quality of his work which is of a high standard. Pemberton is a good choice too - they both would be.

Arnold knew exactly when to use the Bond theme and not overdo it. He took Barry's idea of utilising music from the theme songs into the score, which works a treat.

His music for the Boat chase in TWINE is just fantastic. Using the guitar Bond theme briefly as the Jet boat thunders along one of the Thames's canals.

Sublime scoring. We don't get such layered action music from many composers these days.