Worst Lines in All of Bond

1111213141517»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    To me it was inevitable they were chasing the Austin Powers crowd. They had basically lost faith in their own product and had decided to essentially parody themselves & their history to stay relevant at the box office. I'm certain they felt that this was what audiences wanted.

True to an extent, at least from a box office standpoint, but there was also a demand for serious fare, which Bourne proved in the same year.

DAD may have just missed the new trend that Bourne started, but look at other action films of that time.
    Charlie's Angels, XXX

DAD for certain was a good match for those movies at the BO. DAD was the most successful Brosnan Bond.
    Agreed. I'm not questioning its box office success. It's clear that this is what EON was chasing with DAD.

Charlie's Angels and XXX, along with Austin Powers, sort of prove my point. It was a lowest common denominator period at the box office in terms of quality of output and Bond went along for the ride. So when folks question the 'lines' in this film, I believe it was actually intentional. Low brow is what EON was going for.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    To me it was inevitable they were chasing the Austin Powers crowd. They had basically lost faith in their own product and had decided to essentially parody themselves & their history to stay relevant at the box office. I'm certain they felt that this was what audiences wanted.

True to an extent, at least from a box office standpoint, but there was also a demand for serious fare, which Bourne proved in the same year.

DAD may have just missed the new trend that Bourne started, but look at other action films of that time.
    Charlie's Angels, XXX

DAD for certain was a good match for those movies at the BO. DAD was the most successful Brosnan Bond.
    Thank you!
    I know many disagree here but I found "I never miss" after the death of Elektra rather cringe worthy as well.

I don't get why the delivery is bad. I think its one of Brozza's best scenes.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 562
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I sat in the cinema and just was gobsmacked that at no point in the production someone didn't go 'that line about Time to Face Gravity, you know it's horrible'. It made it into the shooting script, Pierce was prepared to say it, it made it past the edit - how?! In fact how did most of DAD succeed in making it to the final film?! Was everyone involved just oblivious to how crap it all was?!

You're talking about the same people that didn't veto the jinx dialogue.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I know many disagree here but I found "I never miss" after the death of Elektra rather cringe worthy as well.

I'm not surprised that my view is controversial as I've seen this scene praised here.

Quite frankly, I find it terribly contrived just to get a line in. Perhaps it's the buildup, including angry gritting of teeth while essentially shooting an unarmed woman in cold blood, or Marceau's almost coy 'you'll miss me' that precedes it, or Dench's uncomfortable look at the scene (there were several moments in this film where I felt she overracted - a charge I can't level at her in any other film), or perhaps just the cringe worthiness of the line itself.

I've just never liked the scene, despite the positive comments it receives here.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    Actually, adjusted for inflation, DAD is behind GE, but better than the other two. TWINE is Brosnan's worst and actually one of the weaker entries of the series in terms of inflation-adjusted box office, and I suspect that's due to the overly complicated plot, generally lacking sense of direction, and the competition of 1999 (particularly The Phantom Menace, which was sort of like GoldenEye in 1995 but even bigger).

But the BO of the Austin Powers films pale in comparison to Bond, the first one didn't even make it to $100million worlwide.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I'm not surprised that my view is controversial as I've seen this scene praised here.

Quite frankly, I find it terribly contrived just to get a line in. Perhaps it's the buildup, including angry gritting of teeth while essentially shooting an unarmed woman in cold blood, or Marceau's almost coy 'you'll miss me' that precedes it, or Dench's uncomfortable look at the scene (there were several moments in this film where I felt she overracted - a charge I can't level at her in any other film), or perhaps just the cringe worthiness of the line itself.

I've just never liked the scene, despite the positive comments it receives here.

For me it isn't the line, nor the buildup. What I do have a problem with however is the fact that he then proceeds to walk towards her and puts a hand in her hair. What's that about? you kill someone in cold blood, nad then regret it? That isn't the Bond I know. He'd stay professional and dive after the sub immidiately, leaving the (eventual) mourning for a bottle of vodka later on. He hates her for sending Renard on his mission, and then, when she isn't alive anymore, it's all forgiven? I just can't get my head around it.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    tanaka123 wrote: »

But the BO of the Austin Powers films pale in comparison to Bond, the first one didn't even make it to $100million worlwide.
    The cultural impact of the Austin Powers films in the US, particularly The Spy Who Shagged Me, was immense. Never before had a 'Bond parody' exceeded the gross of a Bond film (despite many parodies in previous decades). The US market was evidently quite important to EON during that time (many have noted the Americanization of the films during that era, including casting of Richard, Berry etc.). Even the worldwide gross of the Spy Who Shagged Me was reasonably close to the Bond competitor of that year.

US gross (worldwide)
    The Spy Who Shagged Me - 1999 - $206m ($312m)
    The World is Not Enough - 1999 - $126m ($362m)

I cite that film and that year because that was what preceded DAD. Goldmember, which didn't do so well, came out in 2002 so DAD would have already been in production.

It's clear to me that the puerile and excessively phallic humour in DAD is more a direct response to Powers than it is to Bond's own storied history.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I can recall Pierce at the end of his DVD commentary of DAD that even he didn't care much for it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I can recall Pierce at the end of his DVD commentary of DAD that even he didn't care much for it.

Yes, Brosnan looks at his tenure as Bond with quite a sense of humour, self-criticism, wit and irony.
    I like him even more for that. For me after Moore, he is the nicest of them all outside the franchise.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Yes, Brosnan looks at his tenure as Bond with quite a sense of humour, self-criticism, wit and irony.
    I like him even more for that. For me after Moore, he is the nicest of them all outside the franchise.
    Reading some of the articles dating back to 15-20 years prior to present day, Brosnan somewhat came off as the arrogant type back then. Funny how has he transitioned from that man to a very humble and likable person.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I can agree with that.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited June 2023 Posts: 3,332
    "I can't, I can't find the brakes!" -LALD henchmen during the Mrs. Bell chase.

Bond villains have had their share of incompetent henchmen, but not being able to locate the brake pedal in a car is pretty inept!

Reading some of the articles dating back to 15-20 years prior to present day, Brosnan somewhat came off as the arrogant type back then. Funny how has he transitioned from that man to a very humble and likable person.

As a younger man thrust into the Bond universe and with all the attention that comes with it, I suspect it would be hard not to be full of oneself. Wasn't a fan of PB as Bond at the time, but in the years since I've liked his roles and him.

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Some worst lines

"Mr. Kil you say, now that's a name to die for."

"Gift wrap this for me,...horizontally"

"Fetch my shoes"

"Stacey behind you!"
    "JAMMMMESSSS"

Those are a few that spring to mind.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    "I'm sorry, no mail."
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    "We're free!" (Kara in Afghanistan, TLD)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    "We're free!" (Kara in Afghanistan, TLD)

I'd argue that's a great line. Especially the pay off from Dalton.

"Kara, we're inside a Russian airbase, in the middle of Afghanistan!"
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I'm with @Benny on that one. I always chuckle when Tim delivers that retort.

Who can forget "SIIITTTTTT!" from OP or maybe it's the way the line is delivered.

Another thing that irritates me is when Sir Donald's speech is looped in DAF. It was okay the first time, but nothing added the second time. Even though it is about "air tight security".
    thedove wrote: »
    I'm with @Benny on that one. I always chuckle when Tim delivers that retort.

Who can forget "SIIITTTTTT!" from OP or maybe it's the way the line is delivered.

Another thing that irritates me is when Sir Donald's speech is looped in DAF. It was okay the first time, but nothing added the second time. Even though it is about "air tight security".

The reason Roger delivers the line like that, in OP, is that he was impersonating the popular dog trainer Barbara Woodhouse, whose T.V. show was on at the time!