Worst Lines in All of Bond

Comments

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    "Time to face gravity" has always seemed EXCEPTIONALLY bad, maybe it's not the line itself, but Brosnan's "Do I really HAVE to say that? Oh just get it over with" delivery of it.

What makes it even WORSE is the fact that... Graves doesn't face gravity?!

In the last seconds of his life Graves faces the following;

1) Wind resistance
    2) Electricity
    3) A jet engine

His line only makes sense if Graves fell to his death, not be sucked into a jet engine!

Yeesh!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Time to face wind resistance, electricity and a jet engine.

Yes, that line is much better. It actually is.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 205
    Bond just takes out a chalkboard and starts explaining the physics of electricity and wind resistence to Graves as he holds on for dear life.

The fact it doesn't make any sense further helps prove what a lazy and poorly written line it really is. And I agree with the sentiment that Brosnan seems to be phoning it in ESPECIALLY when it comes to the one-liners in DAD. He's had to say plenty of stupid stuff before, but the conviction to make them work has completely disappeared by the time we get to DAD. You can almost feel how embarassed he is to be saying some of this.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Bond just takes out a chalkboard and starts explaining the physics of electricity and wind resistence to Graves as he holds on for dear life.

The fact it doesn't make any sense further helps prove what a lazy and poorly written line it really is. And I agree with the sentiment that Brosnan seems to be phoning it in ESPECIALLY when it comes to the one-liners in DAD. He's had to say plenty of stupid stuff before, but the conviction to make them work has completely disappeared by the time we get to DAD. You can almost feel how embarassed he is to be saying some of this.

For me the worst one is when he's in the helicopter with Halle and he's just saved it from falling to the ground:

"Now...you said something about...going down together".

Brosnan knows full-well how stupid that line is.
    shamanimal wrote: »
    We got a bit of that with "last rat standing", but I thought that worked. I liked it that Bond killed him with the knife that Kinkade put on the table and said "sometimes the old ways are the best". Message received and understood.
    Skyfall was such a class act, it's spoiled the Brosnan era a little for me.

To be honest that line doesn't sit well with me. The fact that MP says the exact same line earlier in the film in a completely unrelated scene makes it feel forced and contrived.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    For me the worst one is when he's in the helicopter with Halle and he's just saved it from falling to the ground:

"Now...you said something about...going down together".

Brosnan knows full-well how stupid that line is.
    Definitely agree here. The delivery was pathetic as well....horrendous actually.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I actually think that's his worst delivery of a one-liner he ever gave. The others were silly but most raised a smile from me (including the infamous "Christmas" line). That one is just awkward and the long silence after the line speaks volumes.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Here's a real clanger...

"Saved by the bell," from DAD.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Working the title in is usually an awkward moment.

"So you live to die another day"

"What a view…
    …to a kill"

"Whoever she was, it must have scared the living daylights out of her."

"It's my little octopussy"

Working the title in is usually an awkward moment.

"So you live to die another day"

"What a view…
    …to a kill"

"Whoever she was, it must have scared the living daylights out of her."

"It's my little octopussy"

Not to mention TWINE.

But also "For your eyes only, darling."
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I would add YOLT to that list, on par with FYEO and TLD in terms of awkwardness.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Darius wrote: »
    Here's a real clanger...

"Saved by the bell," from DAD.

Bad.....One of the most lazy lines of the series.
    'Hiss off'...........Bond talking to a snake in OP..........ffs!
    His name is Jar Jar Hinx. He kills people.

First draft by Logan.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, a lot of John Glen's attempts to sneak the the title into the film are pitiful. I mean, what the hell is "What a view." "To a kill!" supposed to mean? The Living Daylights one is fine, and the OP/LTK ones obviously get used repeatedly, so they don't matter. FYEO isn't too bad. It started happening with Brosnan after TND too, with them obviously trying hard to sneak in "The World Is Not Enough". The line "so you live to Die Another Day" is just pathetic, though.

"See you back at the lodge"

Bad delivery imho.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,984
    That smile he makes and the change to the frown is laughable, though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Even though I liked the film, the moment when Bond tried to run over Blofeld shouting "No, no, no, shut if off!" sounded very bland and unneeded, if you ask me. It was just an overreaction.
    Even though I liked the film, the moment when Bond tried to run over Blofeld shouting "No, no, no, shut if off!" sounded very bland and unneeded, if you ask me. It was just an overreaction.
    I found it a little unnecessary as well and a bit heavy handed, but Mendes was likely trying to show that he cared for Madelieine's emotions. I would have preferred a more deft touch though...

A directorial choice.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

First draft by Logan.

Oy ve.
    jake24 wrote: »

First draft by Logan.

Oy ve.

Har har.

jinx.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I found it a little unnecessary as well and a bit heavy handed, but Mendes was likely trying to show that he cared for Madelieine's emotions. I would have preferred a more deft touch though...

A directorial choice.
    It could have been handled better. Without the overreaction, so the thug wouldn't have to have smack Bond to the ground with a stick. It wasn't in either of the drafts, to tell you the truth. How I would have done the scene was a similarly handled notion done in GoldenEye when Bond tries to step towards Natalya, the guards watching over him charge their rifles at him as a sign of a threat. That was how Bond should have been handled in Spectre.

A directorial choice.
    It could have been handled better. Without the overreaction, so the thug wouldn't have to have smack Bond to the ground with a stick. It wasn't in either of the drafts, to tell you the truth. How I would have done the scene was a similarly handled notion done in GoldenEye when Bond tries to step towards Natalya, the guards watching over him charge their rifles at him as a sign of a threat. That was how Bond should have been handled in Spectre.
    Agreed. Good example with the GE comparison. It could also have been done similar to how he showed discomfort as Severine is about to bite the bullet (literally) in SF, and notices that the goons have their guns on him. DC as an actor can do so much just with a look in his eyes, that they didn't have to go this route. In fact, they got that bit right at the end.....when they look in each other's eyes.

A directorial choice.
    Agreed. Good example with the GE comparison. It could also have been done similar to how he showed discomfort as Severine is about to bite the bullet (literally) in SF, and notices that the goons have their guns on him. DC as an actor can do so much just with a look in his eyes, that they didn't have to go this route. In fact, they got that bit right at the end.....when they look in each other's eyes.
    Indeed. The faulty eyes exchanging as Madeleine turns to look at Bond was a touching moment. But, I would have preferred if Bond was on his feet rather than on the floor.
    Another bad line is when Pierce Brosnan in GE says "Bond, James Bond". :))
    I wonder... Why not rename this thread to "Name the worst lines spoken by the worst actor to have played James Bond whose name is Pierce Brosnan"?
    mepal1 wrote: »

The one with Richards in the tunnel was really bad. "Barnd............James Barnd"

DC ran him close in SP when coming onto Lucia: "Bund. .....James........Bund"
    "See you back at the lodge"

Bad delivery imho.

I like that one.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 486

I hate all the "BOND...James BOND" stuff because it feels a little too fourth wall. Plus younger fans and ignoramuses believe this is the character's catchphrase.

Oh for the good old days of the earlier films and the more jocular and natural "My name is Bond, James Bond" just as he said in some of the novels too.
    Cowley wrote: »

I hate all the "BOND...James BOND" stuff because it feels a little too fourth wall. Plus younger fans and ignoramuses believe this is the character's catchphrase.

Oh for the good old days of the earlier films and the more jocular and natural "My name is Bond, James Bond" just as he said in some of the novels too.

Does that include the Daniel Craig delivery in CR too?
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    "Time to face gravity" has always seemed EXCEPTIONALLY bad, maybe it's not the line itself, but Brosnan's "Do I really HAVE to say that? Oh just get it over with" delivery of it.

What makes it even WORSE is the fact that... Graves doesn't face gravity?!

In the last seconds of his life Graves faces the following;

1) Wind resistance
    2) Electricity
    3) A jet engine

His line only makes sense if Graves fell to his death, not be sucked into a jet engine!

Yeesh!

Yes, this! Omg! =))