Worst Lines in All of Bond

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Oh, how we've fallen since the promise of CR. Time for another reset it seems.

Why?
    You don't like QOS SF and/or SP?.
    I'm referring to 'lines'. If we've come to the point where we're, as fans, going to excuse some of the banal drivel in SP, especially after the lyrical promise of CR, then we've fallen quite far imho.

The Craig era was meant to be different. Better. For a while, it certainly was.

It's unfortunate that there appears to be more depth in the exchanges between Cap & Stark & Wayne & Alfred in recent trailers from Marvel & DC respectively then anything in SP.

As I said, the Craig era, which started with so much promise, was meant to be better than this.

We're not talking DAD level of cringe certainly, but mediocre at best.

I'm sorry, I should have read your post more carefully.

I agree with you that the dialogue in general in the Craig-era hasn't been what it could have been. CR was probably the exception.

As for Spectre, it doesn't bother me, the movie is 100% pure fun and "mindless" entertainment, therefore I don't demand poetry. I'm satisfied with the end-result of the movie as you know. I also think SP has more quotable lines than QOS and SF together.

But then, what we now think to be mediocre, could very well be considered classic tomorrow.
    Oh I found the dialogue in SP to be quite good. Certainly there was nothing in SP's script to touch the wretchedness of Bond's convalescence in CR.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Not a bad line a such but one that has always puzzled me is Bond in Moonraker cable car.
    ''What's happened''
    ''I don't know but I'm sure we're better out than in''
    Really!
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Ten worst lines in all of Bond:

"A palace of ice, you must feel right at home."
    ~Bond to Frost, Die Another Day

"Thanks for the kiss of life!"
    ~Bond, Die Another Day

"Time to face gravity!"
    ~Bond to Graves, Die Another Day

"Read this, Bitch!"
    ~Jinx to Frost, Die Another Day

"Now there's a name to die for."
    ~Bond to Mr. Kil, Die Another Day

"Now there's a mouthful."
    ~Jinx to Bond, Die Another Day

"I don't like cockfights."
    ~Verity, Die Another Day

"Switch them off, or I'll be half the girl I used to be!"
    ~Jinx, Die Another Day

"I take it Mr. Bond's been explaining his Big Bang Theory?"
    "Oh yeah, I think I got the thrust of it."
    ~Frost and Jinx, Die Another Day

"Wait, don't pull it out."
    "It's a perfect fit."
    "I am so good."
    "Especially when you're bad."
    ~The most cringeworthy end dialogue I have heard in a film, period, Die Another Day
    I can't believe you forgot the most legendary line from this fiasco of a film. I won't mention it here but it's maternal in nature.

It's interesting from reading the above how many phallic references there are in DAD, especially if you consider the ones referring to 'points' which you didn't mention. It's almost like P & W were going through some kind of obsessive phase or something.

Very unfortunate, I had almost completely erased that line from my memory and now you've made it come back to me. Ohhhhhh.
  • cwl007 wrote: »
    Not a bad line a such but one that has always puzzled me is Bond in Moonraker cable car.
    ''What's happened''
    Really!

Not nearly as bad as the awful delivery of the lines that would follow:

Goodhead: Hold. on. Jaaaaaaames (in the flattest and most sarcastic voice ever).
    Bond: The thought had occurred to me!!!!

The fight was cringeworthy too, an embarrassment to everyone involved, but that is another story for another thread.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    "I'm Pooped!" ~Bibi

I don't want to think about excrement while watching a Bond movie. :))
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    All of Bibi's lines/deliveries are poop.

I didn't mind Holly Goodhead but her flat delivery on the cable car sucked. That's particularly why I liked Moore's "the thought had occurred to me!" response.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    Oh yeah, Dalton's "Let's go fishing!" line in the LTK PTS made cysts grow in my ears. Turrrrible.

Most of the LTK PTS was pathetic, anyway.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 110
    Murdock wrote: »
    "I'm Pooped!" ~Bibi

Add these Bibi "gems":

"I wanna win the gold medal!"
    "We ALL want that!"

"Our plans have changed! We are going to Cuba!"
    "CUUUBBBAAA?!"
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Worst dialogue in the series is the Bronsan Era as a whole. My opinion, of course, but I sure can't see an objective way around coming to that conclusion.

Although I think of the Brosnan era as the pinnacle of Bond, I have to admit, no other era is as full of cringe worthy dialogue as his. Strangely, I cringe more while watching GE than I do DAD (mainly due to the entirety of the character Xenia Onatopp).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's the overacted eagerness behind him yelling that. What's the point? They both know who Mr. White is, does he need to shout it out?

I totally agree. It's the delivery of that line that's the issue. It sounds like it comes straight out of an old Scooby Doo episode!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2016 Posts: 16,331
    It's the overacted eagerness behind him yelling that. What's the point? They both know who Mr. White is, does he need to shout it out?
    Well to be fair It's technically been 9 or 7 (If you follow the 2008 party invite from QOS) years since Bond saw Mr. White or Quantum so he was coming to a realization. I do that sort of thing all the time. :))
  • GBFGBF
    Oh yeah, Dalton's "Let's go fishing!" line in the LTK PTS made cysts grow in my ears. Turrrrible.

Most of the LTK PTS was pathetic, anyway.

Most of LTK was overly pathetic. I know most people like them. But the multiple revenge lines in that film have always been too pathetic and a bit dull for me.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    ''What's happened''
    Really!

Exactly. That line made no sense whatsoever. It was just a lame set-up for the brawl with Jaws.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    While I find Lazenby's line in Tracy's suite after the fight "Royal Beluga. North of the Caspian." somewhat amusing, doesn't it seem to be very out of place and unnecessary? Perhaps it's Lazenby's delivery that makes it cringe-worthy (and so is the "He had a lots of guts!" line later on, same reasons). The whole convertible car segment when he's held captive by Draco's men had awful set of lines, too.
    Murdock wrote: »
    "I'm Pooped!" ~Bibi

Add these Bibi "gems":

"I wanna win the gold medal!"
    "We ALL want that!"

"Our plans have changed! We are going to Cuba!"
    "CUUUBBBAAA?!"

Well, she's supposed to be a spoiled little brat, so those lines are appropriate, and I think she delivered them reasonably well.

And nobody mentions Plenty O'toole. ;)
  • While I find Lazenby's line in Tracy's suite after the fight "Royal Beluga. North of the Caspian." somewhat amusing, doesn't it seem to be very out of place and unnecessary? Perhaps it's Lazenby's delivery that makes it cringe-worthy (and so is the "He had a lots of guts!" line later on, same reasons). The whole convertible car segment when he's held captive by Draco's men had awful set of lines, too.

I like the bit where Bond asks for the knife to be removed and the goon just grunts at him 'ummmmmm'.
    While I find Lazenby's line in Tracy's suite after the fight "Royal Beluga. North of the Caspian." somewhat amusing, doesn't it seem to be very out of place and unnecessary? Perhaps it's Lazenby's delivery that makes it cringe-worthy (and so is the "He had a lots of guts!" line later on, same reasons). The whole convertible car segment when he's held captive by Draco's men had awful set of lines, too.

I like the bit where Bond asks for the knife to be removed and the goon just grunts at him 'ummmmmm'.
    Yes, perhaps that's the only good bit in the whole segment.

I'll mention her. She's easily the most uproarious Bond girl ever. All hail Plenty!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @ClarkDevlin, I felt that way about the beluga line the last time I watched it, feels out of place and overly descriptive considering he's the only one around to hear himself speak.
    Brunched off
    @ClarkDevlin, I felt that way about the beluga line the last time I watched it, feels out of place and overly descriptive considering he's the only one around to hear himself speak.
    Exactly. It was like put there just to let the audience know that he's a know-it-all person and that nothing escapes him.
    Personally, I hate the line " 'ere, 'old on you're dead"
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I figured it was just a blatant attempt to express his sophistication.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Same as with @Bibi, they're not really sophisticated girls, now are they? The lines fit the characters. It's when lines don't fit the characters, or there's hardly any (Goodhead) when lines turn into dissapointments.
    And when it comes to that:
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    is a good example. A soldier making such a comment is just stupid. As if anyone, especially one doing a military exercise, would say something like that at that time.

BAIN123 wrote: »
    is a good example. A soldier making such a comment is just stupid. As if anyone, especially one doing a military exercise, would say something like that at that time.

[/quote]

I think its the cockney accent more than anything that irritates me.
  • I realised that this line from TWINE is particularly dumb:

"Do you know what happens when a man is strangled?"

Errrrrm... He... dies?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    "I'm soo good."

"Mmmm.. Especially when you're baad."

- what a way for Broz to go out.. IMO, it's about creepiest and most cringeworthy moment in the series - right up there with Christopher Walken trying to force a kiss on Grace Jones.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    "Keep my mind on your driving."