I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    barryt007 wrote: »
    His head is bobbing around like a demented chicken !!
    That’s exactly right! :))

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    I think he's beeing spoken to in the end. or gets his chicken feed....
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    :)) He acts like a humanoid alien confused by the earthly proceedings.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Not something I noticed on a rewatch, but I read a review of FYEO recently, and the bloke writing the post made an excellent point, comparing it to Skyfall in terms of the themes of revenge, and the 'old being better than the new'

In terms of the revenge aspect:

The obvious one, Melina gets revenge on Gonzalez for killing her parents. Columbo gets revenge on Kristatos for their long rivalry and attempting to frame him. Bond finally gets revenge on 'Blofeld' for killing Tracy. He also gets revenge on Locque for killing Ferrara and Lisl. Bond also talks, somewhat hypocritically, to Melina about the danger of seeking revenge.

Now in terms of the old being better than new:

The mine that destroys the St. George is WW2 mine. The Lotus is jettisoned in favour of the Citroen. Melina's sub is clearly older than the new tech sub and Diver suit the villains use to attack them underwater. Bond chooses the, all be it only slightly, more mature Melina over Bibi.

I am sure there are more, but you get my point. I never really noticed these themes running through the film before, other than Melina wanting revenge.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    I mentioned in the Bondathon thread something I saw for the first time in Dr No. During Bond and Sylvia's flirty card game the man sitting to Sylvia's left hilariously over-acts throughout. I've never noticed him before, but it was laugh out loud funny.

Just watched the scene () and that is utterly hilarious!

Except that I don't think I'm ever going to be able to un-see it...
    I can't believe I didn't notice this before. Great catch! I too can probably never look at this legendary scene the same ever again!
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Not something I noticed on a rewatch, but I read a review of FYEO recently, and the bloke writing the post made an excellent point, comparing it to Skyfall in terms of the themes of revenge, and the 'old being better than the new'

In terms of the revenge aspect:

The obvious one, Melina gets revenge on Gonzalez for killing her parents. Columbo gets revenge on Kristatos for their long rivalry and attempting to frame him. Bond finally gets revenge on 'Blofeld' for killing Tracy. He also gets revenge on Locque for killing Ferrara and Lisl. Bond also talks, somewhat hypocritically, to Melina about the danger of seeking revenge.

Now in terms of the old being better than new:

The mine that destroys the St. George is WW2 mine. The Lotus is jettisoned in favour of the Citroen. Melina's sub is clearly older than the new tech sub and Diver suit the villains use to attack them underwater. Bond chooses the, all be it only slightly, more mature Melina over Bibi.

I am sure there are more, but you get my point. I never really noticed these themes running through the film before, other than Melina wanting revenge.
    Those are excellent points. Moore himself was also deliberately more toned down and noticeably older in FYEO in comparison to the 70's entries as well. There's also the relative lack of Q Branch gadgets for Bond this time too (he doesn't even get a 'radio').
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I mentioned in the Bondathon thread something I saw for the first time in Dr No. During Bond and Sylvia's flirty card game the man sitting to Sylvia's left hilariously over-acts throughout. I've never noticed him before, but it was laugh out loud funny.

Just watched the scene () and that is utterly hilarious!

Except that I don't think I'm ever going to be able to un-see it...

It's like he's a spectator at a ball game or something, rather than a participator at chemin de fer.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Someone should take the tennis match in Octopussy and throw in a couple of shots of him!
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    I think he's beeing spoken to in the end. or gets his chicken feed....

"Excuse me sir, but you're really making a mockery of this legendary cinematic moment. Could you just... leave? And not come back? Thanks."
    Roadphill wrote: »

<cut>

The main villain gets a knife to the back, too, which seems appropriate in both cases.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It was my wife who pointed out Telly Savalas's slightly disfigured index finger, whilst watching OHMSS. I had never noticed it before, but it seemed so obvious once I saw it.
    It was my wife who pointed out Telly Savalas's slightly disfigured index finger, whilst watching OHMSS. I had never noticed it before, but it seemed so obvious once I saw it.

Yep..he has always had it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yep..he has always had it.
    And then, in DAF, we see a close-up of Blofeld's disfigured middle finger tapping the satellite cassette (not Charles Gray's hand though). It's just after the scene where Bond (posing as Bert Saxby) calls Blofeld with Q's voice changer.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    When Mitchell is running through the plaza in Sienna and Sciarra is running through the plaza in Mexico City, they shout the same thing. I imagine it is Italian for "get out of the way" or something. Anyone able to translate?

@3:28:

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    He says "Meet me in the square."
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Standard protocol, it turns out.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    jake24 wrote: »
    He says "Meet me in the square."

I think that is afterward, on the phone. It seems to me that he says a few different things (not translated) prior to that point. In any case, there are lines from Mitchell, in Italian, that sound very similar.
    Surely there must be someone here that can translate.....and don't call me Shirley.
    Having already done the 'named character list' and 'Bond by numbers' thread, I've always wanted to follow it up with an attempt to translate all the non-English lines in a Bond film. Unfortunately I'm overloaded with work for the foreseeable future so I'll not be taking it on, but if anyone fancies it as a project...
    I do.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 13,034
    I'd like to see it, @Tokoloshe2.

Maybe that could work over time as a translate-on-demand, request for translation thread. Then a knowledgeable MI6 member can step forward with the English version.

As the results are assembled by film, any outliers could eventually be brought forward for the complete list.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I just noticed something new thanks to the Translation thread:

In the TND airport scene you can hear a public Service announcement in the background "Don't leave your baggage unattended" first in german then in english by the same voice.
    Only today i noticed that it's the same guy that reads Zao his german lines in the Clinic in Cuba.
    Must be EoN's go-to german speaker.
    00Agent wrote: »

In the TND airport scene you can hear a public Service announcement in the background "Don't leave your baggage unattended" first in german then in english by the same voice.
    Only today i noticed that it's the same guy that reads Zao his german lines in the Clinic in Cuba.

Really? I'll have to check it out next time I watch them both.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 5,185
    00Agent wrote: »

Really? I'll have to check it out next time I watch them both.

The voice is very recognizable in my opinion. I checked IMDB and the credits to both movies, but unsiprisinlgy i can not find any information on such a small role.
    But what's even funnier is, that the voice in DAD says he's from Hamburg.
    I guess Thomas Schiller, the service announcer from the Hamburg Airport, had this one Holiday in Cuba that went veeery bad for him lol.
    Even if this wasn't shown on screen, I don't recall ever hearing about Scaramanga's matching belt as related to his famous Golden Gun.

Designed to house two golden bullets for both concealment (though the primer on the cartidge's end is kind of a giveaway) and easy access.

2012_CSK_04431_0010_000(the_man_with_the_golden_gun).jpg
    ht_belt_nt_120907_ssh.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I didn't know about this either. Terrific little touch that I wish had remained in the film!

You know, Scaramanga is such a well-rounded character. His goals, personality, backstory, attires, and his golden gun and accesories make him one of the most interesting villains. And of course played by the wonderful Christopher Lee.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    That's pretty cool actually. I wondered where he would keep a spare, because the gun's chamber only holds one.

I'm a huge fan of Scaramanga and Lee's performance. In fact, I may have to give the film a watch tonight.
    It seems that a lot of TMWTGG didn't make the final cut,including the belt,which would have been a brilliant addition,and a lot of the final duel.

So annoying.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It seems that a lot of TMWTGG didn't make the final cut,including the belt,which would have been a brilliant addition,and a lot of the final duel.

So annoying.

I agree. I rememeber seeing the original trailer with Bond and Scaramanga jawing at one another and Bond throws and shoots some sort of canister

So annoying.

I agree. I rememeber seeing the original trailer with Bond and Scaramanga jawing at one another and Bond throws and shoots some sort of canister

Yep me too..there was a lot more of the duel outside around the rocks and sand.
    The footage has to be out there somewhere.
  • peterpeter Toronto

So annoying.

Agreed— that is one cool belt. And you’re right, the footage must be archived somewhere.