I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Wasn't Sinatra an old friend of Cubby's?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I heard about a verbal fight which made Sinatra refuse and whatnot. Not sure how accurate is the rumour.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,279
    More of a "Did not know", more than a "I've never noticed that before":

From the video description: "According to Lukas Kendall, this is what John Barry wrote in the first place for the sequence in which James Bond-Sir Hilary sneaks out of his room to visit one of the girls. In the final film this sequence had nearly no music."
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A beautiful piece of music. And yet, the sequence doesn't need it. Hunt was right.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It somehow makes the sequence feel longer with the music.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Very interesting. I think the drama is heightened with no music and only the horn cue when he exposes his thigh.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Definitely prefer the scene without that music too – even how brilliant that piece of music is.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2018 Posts: 6,722
    That's my favorite piece of music from that score. No question about it.

But ultimately, had it been included in full in the movie, the scene would've felt too musically "heavy". It needed less music, and whatever music it needed had to be lower-key, and had to have less emphasis on rhythm.

Separate from the film, as presented in the video above, the music does work very well, however!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Another did not know: the Never Say Never Again deleted scene for Blofeld's death.
    NSNA-del-aout-3.jpg

Maybe McClory wanted to reserve him for a future installment.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Another did not know: the Never Say Never Again deleted scene for Blofeld's death.
    NSNA-del-aout-3.jpg
    So Von Sydow was actually supposed to have a moment. What a waste that we didn't get that in the film.

What was that plotline? Curious.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    echo wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    NSNA-del-aout-3.jpg
    So Von Sydow was actually supposed to have a moment. What a waste that we didn't get that in the film.

What was that plotline? Curious.

Wasn’t Blofelds cat supposed to have poison tipped claws or something. It scratches old Ernst resulting in his death.
    Quite why the cat does this is not known. Maybe failure is not tolerated all the way to the top. Or maybe the cat is the real head of SPECTRE
    Max Von Sydow is grossly underused in NSNA. A few more scenes with him could’ve really helped the film overall.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I enjoy the film more than anybody else here does, really. But, an actor like Von Syndow was criminally underused and Blofeld was portrayed as a generic armchair leader of a world class organized crime syndicate. It could've been a lot more.
    I enjoy the film more than anybody else here does, really. But, an actor like Von Syndow was criminally underused and Blofeld was portrayed as a generic armchair leader of a world class organized crime syndicate. It could've been a lot more.

True. But they did have pretty strict guidelines as to what they could use and with Blofeld's relatively small role it likely meant he was meant to stay a shadowy background figure and the emphasis on Largo.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 13,012
    Benny wrote: »
    Quite why the cat does this is not known. Maybe failure is not tolerated all the way to the top. Or maybe the cat is the real head of SPECTRE
    Finally someone cuts to the chase.

51pVkxY%2BacL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

• edited November 2018 Posts: 850
    Well, in fact we know what the plotline was, you can find some information here with Google Translate http://www.commander007.net/1983/10/jamais-plus-jamais-les-scenes-coupees/ (details and testimony of the film crew) & http://www.commander007.net/2017/02/script-jamais-plus-jamais/ (NSNA script extract). (And spoiler : no, Esmeralda isn't the head of SPECTRE).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    OHMSS is generally seen as the Christmas Bond here. TWINE which took its title from there has Christmas Jones as the main girl. Coincidence?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    TWINE was set around new year/Christmas. Can’t recall seeing any Christmassy decor in any scenes?
    NicNac wrote: »
    TWINE was set around new year/Christmas. Can’t recall seeing any Christmassy decor in any scenes?
    Other than a few fireworks in the background, but that hardly means something. Ah well.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Other than a few fireworks in the background, but that hardly means something. Ah well.

Some Christmas balls?
    Some Christmas balls?
    We only see the north side borderlines of it. Never the peaks.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    In NSNA when Fatima Blush meets Bond after skiing into the bar, behind them an idiotic windsurfer falls off his board....

Only just noticed after seeing the film multiple times, but to be fair Fatima's body is quite distracting.....
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    In NSNA when Fatima Blush meets Bond after skiing into the bar, behind them an idiotic windsurfer falls off his board....

Only just noticed after seeing the film multiple times, but to be fair Fatima's body is quite distracting.....

Interesting. I'll try and have a look at that moment. Though I can't promise I will succeed.
    I've never noticed that. I'll look for it during our screening.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SP was on the telly yesterday. I noticed that the scene where C attempts to shoot M mirrors the opening sequence in CR when Dryden tries the same with Bond. In both cases, the intended victim had emptied the gun of bullets.

Watching the ending sequence again, it's clear to me that EON's intention at the end of that film was for Bond to leave the service and for it to be Craig's last. It's just too heavy on symbolism (all the way up to Q's reaction to Bond returning for the car) for it to have meant anything else imho.
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP was on the telly yesterday. I noticed that the scene where C attempts to shoot M mirrors the opening sequence in CR when Dryden tries the same with Bond. In both cases, the intended victim had emptied the gun of bullets.

Watching the ending sequence again, it's clear to me that EON's intention at the end of that film was for Bond to leave the service and for it to be Craig's last. It's just too heavy on symbolism (all the way up to Q's reaction to Bond returning for the car) for it to have meant anything else imho.

Definitely agree with this. I remember leaving the theatre thinking it would definitely be his last. The timing of a recast would have been good at this point too, IMO. For Craig to return for Bond 25 feels a bit "forced" if anything.
    I agree completely, @Torgeirtrap.
    When viewing it yesterday I also thought about the "We have all the time in the world" insertion that was supposed to be included, but which was pulled. That would have further closed it out, because the audience members 'in the know' would have been able to imagine and recognize what their fate was (without it being told to them), and others would have thought nothing of it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I agree @bondjames the way that ending is shot, it has significance beyond "they live happily ever after. Almost as if they are evoking the same "air punching" spirit from the last scene of CR, to bring things full circle. I can only think that the lukewarm reception of SP was what caused them to think twice.
    I agree @bondjames the way that ending is shot, it has significance beyond "they live happily ever after. Almost as if they are evoking the same "air punching" spirit from the last scene of CR, to bring things full circle. I can only think that the lukewarm reception of SP was what caused them to think twice.
    Agreed @Mendes4Lyfe. There are a lot of closure callbacks to the other Craig films in SP, and most notably to CR as you mention.

It's either the lukewarm reception or business reasons. I believe it's the latter. This is a one contract film, and we mustn't forget that the studio behind this does not have a CEO (and rather, is being run by a lawyer who is skilled in M&A). I worked for a company which had a similar scenario in place for over a year. They fed all staff a line that they were looking to IPO (the b/s was off the charts), but eventually they sold, which is what we knew they were going to do all along. This film will inflate MGM's numbers and position themselves for the next phase.