I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That is why I think I missed it. I'm always fixated on whether or not that woman is with Mr. White, or just sitting next to him.

I always thought that was Mrs. White. So Madeleine's mother? :O
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 10,588
    echo wrote: »
    That is why I think I missed it. I'm always fixated on whether or not that woman is with Mr. White, or just sitting next to him.

I think it's implied to be White's wife/girlfriend. Could very well be Madeleine's mother. Although it makes sense to just be a girlfriend as he seems to imply in SP that his wife wasn't fond of his crime life.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    jake24 wrote: »

I think it's implied to be White's wife/girlfriend. Could very well be Madeleine's mother. Although it makes sense to just be a girlfriend as he seems to imply in SP that his wife wasn't fond of his crime life.
    I never got the impression that she was with him even. I just always assumed she was an unrelated party sitting next to him, and her significant other was on the other side.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »

I never got the impression that she was with him even. I just always assumed she was an unrelated party sitting next to him, and her significant other was on the other side.
    I always gathered they were together based on the smile she gives when White turns to her and says "opera isn't for everyone."

I always gathered they were together based on the smile she gives when White turns to her and says "opera isn't for everyone."
    Funnily, this was the very reason why I thought they weren't together. I suppose it's because that is the sort of off the cuff remark I would give to someone if something like that occurred, especially if they noticed it too.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I also assumed she was with him, but now that I think of the scene I find it more likely she's not with him. Indeed it's more an off the cuff remark. Definately not Madeleine's mother though, it's heavily implied in SP she's either dead or left him.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    She is credited as Mr. White's girlfriend.
    Now I want to know more about her!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    QBranch wrote: »

Ah, so my Original impression was right. And definately not Madeleine's mother then.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    She was the Mexican actress Elizabeth Arciniega: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Arciniega

ElizabethArciniega-Portrait-studloung-201407-klein.jpg
    I'm curious as to why Mr. White would take his girlfriend to a Spectre meet. After all, all the other participants who left seemed to be on their own. Unless it was only meant to be a one way call, with Greene talking only, but I doubt that because Bond was able to speak on the call.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm curious as to why Mr. White would take his girlfriend to a Spectre meet.
    True love?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Because she's everywhere! Everywhere! She's sitting at your desk, she's kissing your lover, she's eating supper with your family!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why Mr. White would take his girlfriend to a Spectre meet.
    True love?
    :D Possibly. Unlike Mrs. White, maybe she accepts him, warts, life of crime and all.
    Because she's everywhere! Everywhere! She's sitting at your desk, she's kissing your lover, she's eating supper with your family!
    :))
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

Ah, so my Original impression was right. And definately not Madeleine's mother then.
    I did say it was his girlfriend two pages back... but please, don't anyone take my word for it ;)
    It still doesn't really work for me, because if she was his girl, and knew of his villainy, then the comment he makes doesn't have as much impact (because she would have figured out that they were blown). Unless she thought she was just there to watch the Opera while he did some harmless business about water supplies.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,962
    How did she end up with him? It's nice to see that members of Quantum have active dating lives...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    - So what do you do for a living?
    - I'm a high-ranking member of an international organization dedicated to counterintelligence, terrorism, revenge and extortion.
    (beat)
    - Well, at least you're ambitious. I like that in a man.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Interesting that she's officially credited as his woman in the film; I always surmised it was his wife, but would've equally believed she was simply a stranger he shared an offhanded comment with.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 12,996
    Could still have been his wife.
    Bond: Your wife.
    White: She left long ago.
    2008 WAS long ago!

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    - So what do you do for a living?
    - I'm a high-ranking member of an international organization dedicated to counterintelligence, terrorism, revenge and extortion.
    (beat)
    - Well, at least you're ambitious. I like that in a man.

-You love me?
    Mr. White: Enough to float around the world with you until one of us has to find an honest job. Which I think is going to have to be you, because I have no idea what an honest job is.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Didn't realise Drax plays Chopin's Raindrop Prelude. I should've picked up on it earlier because I played it on piano

I did say it was his girlfriend two pages back... but please, don't anyone take my word for it ;)

You did, and at the time I was concurring with you. But then I got confused... (as you can read at the top of this page).

You did, and at the time I was concurring with you. But then I got confused... (as you can read at the top of this page).

He should have married her. I hear the Quantum pension plan is really good...
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

He should have married her. I hear the Quantum pension plan is really good...

Thallium?!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,484
    Re: the woman with Mr. White at the opera: I have never seen her as the gf nor wife of White... She was a woman sitting next to him.

And she may have been credited as such, but-- and I make now, as I always have, a very large presupposition-- I doubt very much that that was the filmmaker's intent.

Whoever was in charge of the credits, did they pull from the original script that stated:

Mr. White turns to his girlfriend-

MR. WHITE
    Well, Tosca isn't for everyone.

I have never read the shooting draft of QoS so I don't know.

Saying all of that, she is, and will always remain to me, a stranger to Mr. White(!).

EDIT: I just re-watched the scene a couple of times... and damn... I guess she could be his GF! She's an attractive middle-aged woman, similar in age to White. Classy and clueless (she continues watching the opera; I'm not sure she understood what he meant by his comment since her eyes were on the stage, his on the people leaving-- even though she smiles); the man to her right appears quite a bit younger.

I suppose White having a "date" helped him blend into the audience better? At intermission he was just one of many coupes lingering in the lobby, rather than a lone man by himself. She was a blanket/cover for him?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,730
    She is in the cast listed as his wife
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    My bad
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    When Drax runs off during the big battle on the space station, he was running into a dead end...

His only escape was the airlock.....which led to outer space....
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When Drax runs off during the big battle on the space station, he was running into a dead end...

His only escape was the airlock.....which led to outer space....

Yet again: the fact that Bond didn't quip "He just needed some space" after shooting Drax out of the airlock is a severely missed opportunity.