Comic relief night to feature Daniel Craig as James Bond

123457»

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Alright. Allow me to make my own statement, but before anything occurs, I do inform you that this is only my opinion. And that's about it.

I've seen it for the second time, and I found it a little lighter for humour than what my reaction to it has given me to think the first time I saw it. It was nothing I expected. But, it wasn't as bad as some people mentioned it above. Yes, I didn't love it, but I liked it, and not despised it.

It's a little childish humour, I agree, but it was friendly at the end of the day, and especially if it's done for charity, I can live with it. Yes, I was expecting an over-the-top sitcom like Lazenby reprising his role as an aged Bond back in 2012. I was disappointed first, but then realized it wasn't as bad as my other fellows here pointed out.

It did make me smile, I didn't laugh, but I was smiling especially at the bit where Bond was fighting on the train saying "He bit me." That was laughable in good way. But that's about it.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shame a few of you here despised it so much.

It is. I was hoping for something witty and rewatchable, perhaps with Dan and Rog conversing. Alas.
    Yes I agree with you on that point. I think there was definitely a missed opportunity there with Dan and Rog, where it would have been nice for them to share a scene together, which is actually what I was expecting too.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Alright. Allow me to make my own statement, but before anything occurs, I do inform you that this is only my opinion. And that's about it.

I've seen it for the second time, and I found it a little lighter for humour than what my reaction to it has given me to think the first time I saw it. It was nothing I expected. But, it wasn't as bad as some people mentioned it above. Yes, I didn't love it, but I liked it, and not despised it.

It's a little childish humour, I agree, but it was friendly at the end of the day, and especially if it's done for charity, I can live with it. Yes, I was expecting an over-the-top sitcom like Lazenby reprising his role as an aged Bond back in 2012. I was disappointed first, but then realized it wasn't as bad as my other fellows here pointed out.

It did make me smile, I didn't laugh, but I was smiling especially at the bit where Bond was fighting on the train saying "He bit me." That was laughable in good way. But that's about it.

Quite so I think you've hit the nail on the head with this.
    There was - maybe - no time to really get them together. All in all, I am in the bunch of those, who say, it was a missed opportunity but not as bad as some say it was. They took the the piss out on themselves, not subtle but right into your face.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 266
    I thought it was ok, it made me smile.

But I was expecting Daniel and Sir Roger to be in a scene together. I can see why people disliked it though even if I quite enjoyed it.
    Shame a few of you here despised it so much.

It is. I was hoping for something witty and rewatchable, perhaps with Dan and Rog conversing. Alas.

I was kind of disappointed the two didn't share the screen aswell.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    It was a bit of fun. That's all. Let's not make too much of it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Precisely. It's nothing to be bothered about.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,189
    My crappy idea for a Bond skit:

They could have done a scenario in which Rog was acting as a "Bond consultant" to Daniel Craig on the set of Spectre. Rog would teach him how to do the raised eyebrow, Craig would try it but not be very good. Rog would jokingly say "only I can do the raised eyebrow well".

The two would start a fight and Rog would tap in his stunt double to beat up Craig.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 2,015
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Precisely. It's nothing to be bothered about.

I don't know exactly what Comic Relief is, but if they wanted to show that the Bond team cared for it, alas it fails. Everyone is seated.. it looks like they worked even less than for a typical press junket, using minimal crew, minimal lighting, etc. The Tate/Craig mockumentary made before showed far more respect towards Comic Relief IMO, at least you felt they put some energy in it. I guess the timing was wrong this year with SPECTRE shooting, but sometimes when you know you cannot deliver, you should not try...

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Just watched it. Hats off to DC for taking part, but not really very funny was it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Well, it's just me then who laughed at this. Blimey I feel embarrassed to share this site with so many who appreciate fine comedy. I suppose silly voices make me laugh, but I am shamed into admitting as much. So, I will gracefully bow from this discussion and hang my head in shame.

I will watch it again and chuckle in a dark corner, never daring to admit it was funny. Sorry.....

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    My crappy idea for a Bond skit:

They could have done a scenario in which Rog was acting as a "Bond consultant" to Daniel Craig on the set of Spectre. Rog would teach him how to do the raised eyebrow, Craig would try it but not be very good. Rog would jokingly say "only I can do the raised eyebrow well".

The two would start a fight and Rog would tap in his stunt double to beat up Craig.

Perhaps after that they could've got Brozza in to teach Dan the pain face?

See how easy it is to come up with something better in 5 minutes (apologies Bain if you've been slaving over that for months)?
    I don't understand why because something is being done for charity it is fine to excuse mediocrity. Remember when Freddie Mercury rocked Wembley for Live Aid? That was actually good.

I also remember the Blackadder comic relief special that had something called effort put into it and was genuinely quite funny. But that's about 25 years ago.

Now comic relief equals some inexplicably popular non entity like Bishop or Millican climbing a mountain or something. This year we had Dermot O'Leary dancing for 24 hours??! A TV presenter dancing - what's funny about that exactly?

It makes the days of Hale & Pace doing The Stonk seem like the golden age of comedy.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Well, it's just me then who laughed at this. Blimey I feel embarrassed to share this site with so many who appreciate fine comedy. I suppose silly voices make me laugh, but I am shamed into admitting as much. So, I will gracefully bow from this discussion and hang my head in shame.

I will watch it again and chuckle in a dark corner, never daring to admit it was funny. Sorry.....
    NicNac like you I found it funny and so did many others, I think some people expected a mini bond film and didn't get the joke of the sketch. Glad it was done and sure it will be looked back in years to come as a funny take on bond!

• RC7RC7
    jamesdut wrote: »
    I think some people expected a mini bond film and didn't get the joke of the sketch. Glad it was done and sure it will be looked back in years to come as a funny take on bond!

Yeah, I'll be replaying this comic gem for years to come.

Nobody expected a mini-Bond film. Neither did anyone expect a comedy masterclass, just something decent, maybe even witty, god forbid. I love everything from Carry On to Daniel Kitson, from Jerry Sadowitz to The Three Stooges. I like slapstick as much as satire, what I don't like is lowest common denominator mediocrity such as we got here. Nobody missed the joke it just wasn't very good. Not saying people won't have laughed at it, people watch all sorts dross, but it could've been so much better. Poorly thought out and poorly executed. A bit like the dreaded ice surfing in DAD.

• NicNac wrote: »
    Well, it's just me then who laughed at this.
    Do you laugh at the end of TMTWGG with the bottle fight ? :)

I laugh at that at that as it's actually amusing. Nick Nack is a memorable henchman.
    jamesdut wrote: »
    I think some people expected a mini bond film and didn't get the joke of the sketch. Glad it was done and sure it will be looked back in years to come as a funny take on bond!

Yeah, I'll be replaying this comic gem for years to come.

Nobody expected a mini-Bond film. Neither did anyone expect a comedy masterclass, just something decent, maybe even witty, god forbid. I love everything from Carry On to Daniel Kitson, from Jerry Sadowitz to The Three Stooges. I like slapstick as much as satire, what I don't like is lowest common denominator mediocrity such as we got here. Nobody missed the joke it just wasn't very good. Not saying people won't have laughed at it, people watch all sorts dross, but it could've been so much better. Poorly thought out and poorly executed. A bit like the dreaded ice surfing in DAD.

Bang on. Excactly.
  • suavejmf wrote: »
    I laugh at that at that as it's actually amusing. Nick Nack is a memorable henchman.

It was just a remark about NicNac's username...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    Well, it's just me then who laughed at this.
    Do you laugh at the end of TMTWGG with the bottle fight ? :)

I despair at the waste of good wine if you must know ;-)
    Well, the sketch had gotten people talking, whichever side of the fence you sit - "all publicity" and all that
    suavejmf wrote: »

It was just a remark about NicNac's username...

Ah yes I see. Missed that.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,552

They reused the idea, and part of the original, in America's Red Nose Day fundraiser