Comic relief night to feature Daniel Craig as James Bond

Comments

• edited March 2015 Posts: 188
    DCisared wrote: »
    I was waiting for the bond sketch, like most of us.

Yeah, I figured that might have been. But then, why did you not switch it off afterwards? It sounds as if you tortured yourself by keeping watching the whole thing.
    Or, for that matter, if you already know that Comic Relief is something that gets you into a bad mood, why not wait about 5 minutes and then watch it on youtube? That's what I did.

I dunno, it just seems you could have had a much more pleasant evening if you had turned the TV off right after (or, if you hated it so much, in the middĺe of) the Bond skit. Or if you hadn't turned it on in the first place.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I know that the sketch was done for charity, but it was still just not funny at all.
    Actually I found Ben's line about his voice being provided by Paddington Bear and Ben's deadpan delivery the funniest bit. The rest, well.....
    But I appreciate that they all took the time to take part, considering their tight schedule right now.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 625
    The sad thing is:
    EON now makes fun of dubbing voices.
    But they still don't speak openly about Nikki van der Zyl providing all the voices for almost all Bond girls in the 60's and 70's.

One could produce a similar video about the voices of Ursula Andress, Shirley Eaton, Claudine Auger etc. - and in the end it would not be comedy, but real.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Was hoping for a lot Moore.

I was hoping it was played semi serious, semi for laughs, with Moore and Craig actually portraying Bond and not a behind the scenes interview type gag. Seeing both Moore and Craig at the same time will always be a welcome addition, but I left a little underwhelmed :(
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    roko wrote: »
    I was waiting for the bond sketch, like most of us.

Yeah, I figured that might have been. But then, why did you not switch it off afterwards? It sounds as if you tortured yourself by keeping watching the whole thing.
    Or, for that matter, if you already know that Comic Relief is something that gets you into a bad mood, why not wait about 5 minutes and then watch it on youtube? That's what I did.

I dunno, it just seems you could have had a much more pleasant evening if you had turned the TV off right after (or, if you hated it so much, in the middĺe of) the Bond skit. Or if you hadn't turned it on in the first place.

I did turn the tv over right after the sketch and I loved gogglebox thanks.
    dunda wrote: »
    Actually I found Ben's line about his voice being provided by Paddington Bear and Ben's deadpan delivery the funniest bit. The rest, well.....
    But I appreciate that they all took the time to take part, considering their tight schedule right now.

That line about Paddington was funny. I actually enjoyed it.
    I found the Williams/ Stephen Hawking sketch with the transformer bit funny, the new Mr Bean was brilliantly done, was amused with the folks of EON having a wee bit of fun with the intention of raising some cash.
    Fairplay to Eon and the crew for taking part in such a worthy cause, regardless whether you found the sketch funny or not.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Just saw it on this thread - it was OK if rather silly but I suppose that was the whole point of the thing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    RC7 wrote: »
    Get a grip and lighten up. It was for charity....

If the kid in the street with the Comic Relief clipboard wants to put on a red nose and do a celebrity impression, while earning sweet FA, fair play. They already have my money. I expect more from a team of wealthy, well-respected creatives and writers. It's their job after all. The fact it's for charity is all the more reason to do something memorable, rather than shite.

I didn't think it was shite. I thought it was amusing, and made me laugh out loud in certain parts, particularly the scene from SF when Bond opens the door to Moneypenny.

Maybe I wasn't expecting too much from it.

I agree Willy. I'm amazed at some of the reaction. What on earth were people expecting?
    NicNac wrote: »

If the kid in the street with the Comic Relief clipboard wants to put on a red nose and do a celebrity impression, while earning sweet FA, fair play. They already have my money. I expect more from a team of wealthy, well-respected creatives and writers. It's their job after all. The fact it's for charity is all the more reason to do something memorable, rather than shite.

I didn't think it was shite. I thought it was amusing, and made me laugh out loud in certain parts, particularly the scene from SF when Bond opens the door to Moneypenny.

I agree Willy. I'm amazed at some of the reaction. What on earth were people expecting?

A short Bond movie, maybe?

something that had a bit of thought behind it. Something slightly comical and classy.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Oh great yet more whining about last night give it a rest DCisared none of us wish to hear any more from you on this .
  • RC7RC7
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Oh great yet more whining about last night give it a rest DCisared none of us wish to hear any more from you on this .

He is right, though.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well like seeking out the latest atrocity video from ISIS I let my morbid curiosity get the better of me and watched it. And this was just as shocking but considerably less funny.

I was going to just say 'inane' but it is far beyond that. I am reminded of the short story TLD where Bond reads a book called Verderbt, Verdammt, Verraten. Fleming explains that in German the 'ver' prefix gives a great deal of extra emphasis to each word.

So to sum up this: Verinane, Verpitiful, Verembarassing.

I am constantly staggered at what some people can consider funny. And similarly disgusted at how much of my licence fee is spent commissioning such dross. If the BBC actually went and made Monkey Tennis now not only would I not be surprised but it would represent an increase in the quality of their output.

just because you slap some goodwill slogans and charity t shirts onto something doesn't mean it has to be universally praised. We disagree and that's fine. I'm just happy I'm not one of the people who get sucked in and accepts something just because my favourite Crap comedian tells me to donate the equivalent of a greggs meal deal.

something that had a bit of thought behind it. Something slightly comical and classy.

I bet you're a riot at parties.

Because I'm not into 5 years olds humour? Luckily I don't party at the wacky warehouse or Lego land.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Whooosh

Well like seeking out the latest atrocity video from ISIS I let my morbid curiosity get the better of me and watched it. And this was just as shocking but considerably less funny.

I was going to just say 'inane' but it is far beyond that. I am reminded of the short story TLD where Bond reads a book called Verderbt, Verdammt, Verraten. Fleming explains that in German the 'ver' prefix gives a great deal of extra emphasis to each word.

So to sum up this: Verinane, Verpitiful, Verembarassing.

I am constantly staggered at what some people can consider funny. And similarly disgusted at how much of my licence fee is spent commissioning such dross. If the BBC actually went and made Monkey Tennis now not only would I not be surprised but it would represent an increase in the quality of their output.

I don't think very much of your licence fee was spent on commissioning this....it was all for charity, or has that small detail in what the purpose of this film was really about completely vanished now?

just because you slap some goodwill slogans and charity t shirts onto something doesn't mean it has to be universally praised. We disagree and that's fine. I'm just happy I'm not one of the people who get sucked in and accepts something just because my favourite Crap comedian tells me to donate the equivalent of a greggs meal deal.

Glad to see the occasion moved you too. How much did you donate?

Because I'm not into 5 years olds humour? Luckily I don't party at the wacky warehouse or Lego land.

Ahh the eternal question. What is and isn't juvenile humour. Some will argue Python is childish humour playing on inane fart gags and silly walks. Others will argue its intellectual humour where we will learn everything we are likely to learn about Marcel Proust and Carl Debucy.

So I guess humour is merely subjective and you take from it what you want. James Bond has never leant itself to clever and intelligent humour, so maybe juvenile gags at its expense is the correct way to go.

Or maybe it simply doesn't matter and we should not get upset about it.
  • RC7RC7
    The bottom line for me is that is was just poor. Juvenile or not. I'd expect better given the people supposedly involved. Bit of a missed opportunity in my book. I love silly humour, but this wasn't silly, it was crap.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 3,279
    The bottom line for me is that is was just poor. Juvenile or not. I'd expect better given the people supposedly involved. Bit of a missed opportunity in my book. I love silly humour, but this wasn't silly, it was crap.

Given the context of why the film was made in the first place, what the cause was, and watching the film alongside harrowing stories of what goes on in Africa, I probably appreciated it more than if this was supposed to be an out-and-out comedy classic gold moment in cinematic history, to guarantee anyone who watches it would fall in the aisles in tears of helpless laughter.

It was for a good cause, all for charity, and a bit of nice PR publicity for the Bond team while their new film is being made. I obviously wasn't expecting as much from this as you were.

I don't mind dumb/juvenile humour. When it's actually funny. This sketch was not funny, imo. It was toe curlingly awful. I knew it was gonna be bad from the moment David Walliams walked on stage to introduce it (I liked Little Britain but I really can't stand the guy anymore), but still, it was horrible. I didn't laugh once. I did however, cringe a lot because of just how unfunny it was.

I don't see why "it's for charity!" is an excuse used for this being shit. Surely the fact that it's actually for a worthy cause means that they should actually put some effort into making something halfway decent, something with at least one funny moment, rather than making a piss poor sketch because hey it's for charity so people will lap it up no matter what.

As I said, I like dumb humour, but this doesn't even pass as humour. This was just crap. Sarach Millican (I really can't stand her, she's not funny at all) being part of it was just the icing on an already shit cake.
  • RC7RC7
    Given the context of why the film was made in the first place, what the cause was, and watching the film alongside harrowing stories of what goes on in Africa, I probably appreciated it more than if this was supposed to be an out-and-out comedy classic gold moment in cinematic history, to guarantee anyone who watches it would fall in the aisles in tears of helpless laughter.

No one was expecting comedy gold, just something half decent. Not too much to ask.
    Well I got what I want from it, made me chuckle in a few parts, and that was it. Nothing more.

Shame a few of you here despised it so much.
  • RC7RC7
    Shame a few of you here despised it so much.

It is. I was hoping for something witty and rewatchable, perhaps with Dan and Rog conversing. Alas.

Yes, lets bring ISIS atrocity videos into tihis talk about a simple video made for charity. You are indeed a charming chap, aren't you...