No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

antovolk wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I would think that debuting the new actor in the 60th anniversary year, would put unnecessary pressure on all concerned. Best to make the clean break now, for 2019, then release the 2nd film from the 7th Bond actor in 2022.

The Broccoli family is not going to cast a new actor just before selling the franchise. Also, if they were planning to cast a new actor NOW, they would have contacted Nolan to write the script, not the village idiots.
    Doesn't this assume that Warner has the rights? How sure are we that it's going to them? What about Universal?

Universal didn't even bid for them if I remember the NYT report correctly. Variety believes it's Warners.

In any case, who has B25 doesn't really matter as the deal (at least was - at the time of the NYT report) is only for B25, not any future films.

New York Times said in April Universal was bidding, that Paramount was not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html?_r=0

My mistake then - I remember one of the majors outside of Disney weren't bidding, just wasn't sure if it was Para or Uni.
    it's as true as UFOs attacking us right now.
    No, you are not paying attention. For the umpteenth time, the person controlling the mi6-hq twitter account has confirmed that the rumor about the Broccoli family thinking about selling the Bond franchise is NOT nonsense.
    Sure thing. Just like Tom Hiddleston was "so close" to obtaining the Bond role from Craig when everybody was awfully certain... Only this one is even more tenuous a story than Hiddleston's case.

Did the MI6-HQ admins comment on the Hiddleston thing or not?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    No, you are not paying attention. For the umpteenth time, the person controlling the mi6-hq twitter account has confirmed that the rumor about the Broccoli family thinking about selling the Bond franchise is NOT nonsense.
    Sure thing. Just like Tom Hiddleston was "so close" to obtaining the Bond role from Craig when everybody was awfully certain... Only this one is even more tenuous a story than Hiddleston's case.

They reported it without opposing to the fact that it wasn't real in the slightest. Furthermore when Graham Rye insisted he knows it from a trusted source Hiddleston is the chosen one. MI6-HQ.com made no denials out of that.
  • antovolk wrote: »

They reported it without opposing to the fact that it wasn't real in the slightest. Furthermore when Graham Rye insisted he knows it from a trusted source Hiddleston is the chosen one. MI6-HQ.com made no denials out of that.

There's a difference between not having enough information to deny something and having enough information to confirm it though.

Anyway I think it'll be a sad day when EON sells up. In another thread recently I was talking about why Mission Impossible could never compare to Bond for me and how I described it was that MI feels like the attempt of a big studio to recreate the magic of the old Bond films, but it just doesn't have the same heart and soul behind it.

Somehow, even after all these years, there's a little bit of that magic still left in Bond. And I don't think it's nostalgia either. There's just something brilliantly old fashioned about the whole thing. I worry that if EON sell up to a big studio that'd die out completely and we'd get the next 10 Bond films announced in advance as well as multiple spin offs. And there probably would be lots of hamfisted fan service moments (CGI Connery is a genuine, terrifying possibility) but it'd still feel soulless.

That's why if they do sell I hope the Annapurna rumours are true. They've made a lot of good, interesting little films and at least have got a bit of edge to them. I think they're the best chance we have at retaining that old fashioned style of filmmaking and making sure Bond doesn't lose that magic and end up feeling like a cash cow. Don't get me wrong I'd love a Nolan Bond film more than anything but just the trailers for the new superhero films from Warner is enough to put me off. I don't want Bond micromanaged and focus grouped to death to the point we end up with something like that. I have a feeling if Nolan got it though, Warner would basically give him free reign.

There's a difference between not having enough information to deny something and having enough information to confirm it though.

Anyway I think it'll be a sad day when EON sells up. In another thread recently I was talking about why Mission Impossible could never compare to Bond for me and how I described it was that MI feels like the attempt of a big studio to recreate the magic of the old Bond films, but it just doesn't have the same heart and soul behind it.

Somehow, even after all these years, there's a little bit of that magic still left in Bond. And I don't think it's nostalgia either. There's just something brilliantly old fashioned about the whole thing. I worry that if EON sell up to a big studio that'd die out completely and we'd get the next 10 Bond films announced in advance as well as multiple spin offs. And there probably would be lots of hamfisted fan service moments (CGI Connery is a genuine, terrifying possibility) but it'd still feel soulless.

That's why if they do sell I hope the Annapurna rumours are true. They've made a lot of good, interesting little films and at least have got a bit of edge to them. I think they're the best chance we have at retaining that old fashioned style of filmmaking and making sure Bond doesn't lose that magic and end up feeling like a cash cow. Don't get me wrong I'd love a Nolan Bond film more than anything but just the trailers for the new superhero films from Warner is enough to put me off. I don't want Bond micromanaged and focus grouped to death to the point we end up with something like that. I have a feeling if Nolan got it though, Warner would basically give him free reign.

Eon won't sell up.
    It wouldn't surprise me if 'Purity' never gets made at all.
    BOND 25/BOND26 might scupper it.

It's at the baby stage and yet plans to come out in 2019 ? Craig is the only signing so far and that even depends on Bond now.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    Someone needs to make a Nolan and Turner thread so this thread doesn't get clogged up with that nonsense. :))

@Murdock I like you. But not when you make suggestions like that old chap.
    I don't need my blood pressure to rise.
    Lots of crazy ideas being bandied around. Not sure who has been dispensing the stupid pills. Or why so many have taken them.
    Maybe it's the lack of news, and too long to speculate.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

I'd be quite satisfied if he takes over in a few years, but I think he's too big for it now. I tried to get tickets for his limited run Branagh produced Hamlet gig in the UK next month but it was lottery style to benefit RADA. Hope he does a Night Manager sequel at least.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    If their had not been the writers strike between QOS and SF then DC would have most likely achieved 6 movies? However not now, always had a feeling Bond 25 would be his final outing!

Then for the 60th Anniversary of Bond? We would have the 007th actor taking up residence!!!

Writer's strike between Quantum and Skyfall? The last Writer's strike was in 2007 ahead of Quantum's filming.

The main event between those two movies was MGM's bankruptcy.

My bad, long day yesterday as first day back at work. The 4 year gap didn't help though, maybe if it had only been 3 years instead of 4.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Just finished listening to Craig on the Todd n Tyler Radio Empire show. The question was asked.

No he has not signed up for two more Bond films.

No he has not signed up for one more Bond film.

Craig said "no decision has been made." He added "I know they're raring to get going. I'd be extremely fortunate and lucky to do another one."
    The plot thickens.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,884
    I jotted down some of what Craig said on the radio (rough/paraphrasing here).

"Signed up for two JB films?"
    DC: "No. that's just noise I have no idea what's going on... it's all news to me. I would be incredibly fortunate and very lucky if I did another."
    "Signed up for one?"
    DC: "No." (lightheartedly said)

But it's important to note that it sounded like he was constantly laughing while saying it. Trying to almost indirectly tell the host to be quiet. Btw, I'll post a transcript as soon as they release the file on their podcast site.
    Let's see if Colbert can get anything more out of him this evening.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,277
    Daniel Craig Interview With Morning MAGIC today (August 15th)
    http://magic1067.com/episodes/mmp-daniel-craig-interview-morning-magic/

The complete quote is something like this: "I haven't, I'd hate to [inaudible], no decision has been made at the moment, there's a lot of noise out there and nothing official has been confirmed and I'm not holding out for more money or doing anything like that. It's just all very personal decisions to be made at the moment. I'm not. I know they're desperate to get going and I would in theory love to do it, but there is no decision just yet."
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    The complete quote is something like this: "I haven't, I'd hate to [inaudible], no decision has been made at the moment, there's a lot of noise out there and nothing official has been confirmed and I'm not holding out for more money or doing anything like that. It's just all very personal decisions to be made at the moment. I'm not. I know they're desperate to get going and I would in theory love to do it, but there is no decision just yet."

Yeah, there's a lot more to it than what I wrote. His intonation (i.e. the way he talked) is also quite important, so it's good if people actually listen to the interview.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I said, this month's version of the 'Oyelowo smile' analysis in full swing. Voice intonation and cadence and all that jazz.

PS: If he hasn't signed up, then if I were EON, I'd find the source of the NYT leak and take him (or her) out. Unless they leaked it to influence ongoing negotiations. I still believe there is a political tug of war somewhere.

Ah, bugger it. Sod everyone involved. I take no pleasure in saying it, because I'm a huge fan of Craig's Bond. But I'm rapidly losing interest in the entire thing.
    When news comes, it will be official - Eon like the blare of trumpets - If he's back, and I suspect from his careful wording, he is, the news won't break out during an interview for another film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    octofinger wrote: »

Ah, bugger it. Sod everyone involved. I take no pleasure in saying it, because I'm a huge fan of Craig's Bond. But I'm rapidly losing interest in the entire thing.

I think most Bond fans are losing interest. This is looking less like shrewd marketing tactics and more like mad scrambling to get something moving by the day.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if 'Purity' never gets made at all.
    BOND 25/BOND26 might scupper it.

It's at the baby stage and yet plans to come out in 2019 ? Craig is the only signing so far and that even depends on Bond now.

A lot of people are probably overthinking Purity - from the sounds of things it's been vapor for a long time and I wouldn't bet much money that it will ever happen. For a comparison, have a look at the production history of the "Uncharted/Drake's" movie - it's had more people attached to it (writers, actors, producers, directors) than I've had hot dinners, and it's still not happening.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,755
    Why do I get the feeling we'll be well in to 2018 before we find out whether Craig will be back or not? All of this waiting, speculation, and suspense is getting painful.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling we'll be well in to 2018 before we find out whether Craig will be back or not? All of this waiting, speculation, and suspense is getting painful.
    You're right. I don't think they've made a final decision on the actor. It will be direction, budget and director specific. I'm certain one party favours Craig but I'm not sure if they can't be swayed in a different direction yet.

We are in very interesting times and I think this can swing many ways yet.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames One of the reasons Craig is holding out on his decision (or at least holding out on officially confirming anything to the press/media) could be that he was told by EON they are trying to get an A-List director for Bond 25. Someone very 'big' - Soderbergh? Fincher? - and Craig wants to be sure such director is locked-in before confirming his involvement.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I would be incredibly fortunate and very lucky if I did another.

I would be incredibly fortunate and very lucky if we got some official news.
    @bondjames One of the reasons Craig is holding out on his decision (or at least holding out on officially confirming anything to the press/media) could be that he was told by EON they are trying to get an A-List director for Bond 25. Someone very 'big' - Soderbergh? Fincher? - and Craig wants to be sure such director is locked-in before confirming his involvement.
    It's very possible @DaltonCraig007. Then again, they may go with a completely different route and 'low scale' it and I never bought into Craig coming back for that. There is a lot going on behind the scenes and some definite 'politically motivated' strategic leaking imho.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall.
    It's simple - they're announcing director, cast etc at a late date. Even if Craig has all but signed on he's not going to publicly announce it right now.
    I'm hoping that information comes sooner than later because I'm getting tired of psyching myself up with the hopes that Craig is returning only to be constantly let down by nothing official.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,185
    goddamn, he still hasn't made his mind up
    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/daniel-craig-bond-25/
    "In theory" he would love to do it. Probably means he's waiting for the director and script.

He likely has first refusal rights but then again, a constrained budget could rule him out due to his price.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    octofinger wrote: »

I really don't care if we get Craig or someone new bond will continue with or without Craig
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I kind of worry when he said that they were getting desperate when starting it up again babs and Michael