No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    I would think that debuting the new actor in the 60th anniversary year, would put unnecessary pressure on all concerned. Best to make the clean break now, for 2019, then release the 2nd film from the 7th Bond actor in 2022.

The Broccoli family is not going to cast a new actor just before selling the franchise. Also, if they were planning to cast a new actor NOW, they would have contacted Nolan to write the script, not the village idiots.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I would think that debuting the new actor in the 60th anniversary year, would put unnecessary pressure on all concerned. Best to make the clean break now, for 2019, then release the 2nd film from the 7th Bond actor in 2022.

The Broccoli family is not going to cast a new actor just before selling the franchise. Also, if they were planning to cast a new actor NOW, they would have contacted Nolan to write the script, not the village idiots.
    Doesn't this assume that Warner has the rights? How sure are we that it's going to them? What about Universal?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I must have missed something, but where has this talk of EON selling shop come from?

And as for Nolan, please no. Two films from Mendes and I have had enough of directors of his ilk. If they are going to play in the Bond sandbox, they play with the toys provided, they don't bring their own.
    I must have missed something, but where has this talk of EON selling shop come from?
    It comes from birthmoviesdeath.com, and whoever controls the mi6community twitter account has confirmed that this rumor is NOT nonsense.
    And as for Nolan, please no. Two films from Mendes and I have had enough of directors of his ilk. If they are going to play in the Bond sandbox, they play with the toys provided, they don't bring their own.
    Nolan and Mendes are very different directors, and Nolan's Bond movie will be very different from Skyfall and Spectre. NEVER in the history of cinema has a director as great as Nolan been as passionate about Bond as he is. He was born to direct a Bond movie.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,164
    bondjames wrote: »

Doesn't this assume that Warner has the rights? How sure are we that it's going to them? What about Universal?

Universal didn't even bid for them if I remember the NYT report correctly. Variety believes it's Warners.

In any case, who has B25 doesn't really matter as the deal (at least was - at the time of the NYT report) is only for B25, not any future films.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Yes, because the Bond franchise is up in the market, they announced a 2019 release date before revealing the new owners. Can't see any sensibility in this statement here.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    echo wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Stuntmans Martin Ivanov and Gary Powell are both in Budapest. Maybe a possible B25 location?

Would be absolutely lovely, if so. Budapest, maybe Croatia, interesting considering they're not too far from one another.

Not sure. I mean, Budapest has been shown extensively in "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol". What I want for Bond #25 is a truly Original and unique feel, especially when it comes to locations.

Bond has been disappointing in many areas as if late and that definitely goes for locations. In SF we saw the same Turkish locations months prior in Taken 2, Italy has been used in 3 of the last 4 films
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Budapest does double as other places but I second it being used. My Wife and I went for a holiday there a few years back and fell in love with the place.

Stayed here on the Pest side of the city.

https://www.intercontinental.com/hotels/us/en/budapest/budhb/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki.sp.nd.ct&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qIta=99603195&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=20&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99603195&siclientid=1937&sitrackingid=948930706&dp=true&glat=SEAR

Quite possibly the most luxurious hotel we've ever stayed in, it's an old converted bath house. The Danube would be a terrific location for Bond and there is a the castle on Buda side of the city.

I have to admit I saw SPECTRE in a different light on my 2nd viewing less than a week later, my first take screening I was just all excited on seeing a new Bond film for the first time and possibly watched it in that frame of mind and thought it was great.

It was only when it settled that I started to think things over the ESB angle by the time I got to 2nd screening I was starting to see the flaws, after the PTS bar rare moments like the Bond and White meet up it felt so flat and unexciting.

I'll stand by Skyfall it's my no. 3, think Craig is for me still the stand out of that film despite Dench & Bardem on superb form.

Yes the plot holes are there but it I feel suspense, excitement and danger, the PTS is one of the best of the series and the film never really lets up.

The Scotland climax I know some don't like but I think after the Venice one in CR is the best of the DC era and certainly put the awfully generic one in SP into perspective.

Would go as far to say it's a piece of shit maybe not quite but it resides right near the bottom of my rankings, below even some films I couldn't care too much for because to me it deserves that ranking as so much was riding on it, this wasn't just another entry, it could have been so good but it dragged an era for me that had done so much right although some flaws right down.

SPECTRE taints the DC era, I just hope they can deal with it. In fact if they can continue from here and redeem this story and give us one or maybe 2 more to end the DC era I think that would make them more brave than just bunging on a standalone mission.

For them to start what they finish and get over that hurdle that was SPECTRE and get this back on track would be a real feat. If they did I think it would return confidence in their abilities and some of us wouldn't be getting so intrigued by the idea of BB & MGW selling their share on for another studio and outfit to take the reins.

Confront the Elephant in the room and really impress us into the bargain.

Well said.

I give Mendes a hard time for both his entries but SP for the most part is irredeemably disappointing.

I watched SF yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely a lot better compared to previous viewings and the Scotland scenes didn't bother not bore me nearly as much as it has done in the past. SF is most certainly flawed but it's actually a lot better than I've given it credit for. The Tennyson/Court house shootout seemed a lot better too. Craig is great and he deserves to be compensated with at least one more film after the cock up that was SP. I also think the films miss Dench. She's great and ger dynamic with Craig rivals and in some cases surpasses the Lee/Connery dynamic.

If Mendes couldn't make another Bond film at least on par with SF he shouldn't have bothered returning. In any case I'm glad I rewatched SF and had an enjoyable time with it.

EoN are capable and deserving of another massive hit Bond film. Im really rooting for them to knock it out the park for Bond 25.

Italy is an extremely photogenic country and Eon can go back there as much as they like, as far as I'm concerned.

Anytime a Bond movie goes to Italy, the resulting scenes are often the highlight of the film. Take a look at QoS, SP, MR, TSWLM, FYEO, and of course CR and FRWL. The results speak for themselves.

Italy is nice but that's not the point. I don't care if it's the garden of Eden, it's not the only place on the planet worth using, especially 3 out of the last 4 Bond films. There are 196 countries in the world. These Bond movies as of late have become lackadaisical when it comes to locations and utilising them effectively. More of an effort needs to be made.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Stuntmans Martin Ivanov and Gary Powell are both in Budapest. Maybe a possible B25 location?

Would be absolutely lovely, if so. Budapest, maybe Croatia, interesting considering they're not too far from one another.

Not sure. I mean, Budapest has been shown extensively in "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol". What I want for Bond #25 is a truly Original and unique feel, especially when it comes to locations.

Bond has been disappointing in many areas as if late and that definitely goes for locations. In SF we saw the same Turkish locations months prior in Taken 2, Italy has been used in 3 of the last 4 films
    Budapest does double as other places but I second it being used. My Wife and I went for a holiday there a few years back and fell in love with the place.

https://www.intercontinental.com/hotels/us/en/budapest/budhb/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki.sp.nd.ct&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qIta=99603195&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=20&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99603195&siclientid=1937&sitrackingid=948930706&dp=true&glat=SEAR

Quite possibly the most luxurious hotel we've ever stayed in, it's an old converted bath house. The Danube would be a terrific location for Bond and there is a the castle on Buda side of the city.

I have to admit I saw SPECTRE in a different light on my 2nd viewing less than a week later, my first take screening I was just all excited on seeing a new Bond film for the first time and possibly watched it in that frame of mind and thought it was great.

It was only when it settled that I started to think things over the ESB angle by the time I got to 2nd screening I was starting to see the flaws, after the PTS bar rare moments like the Bond and White meet up it felt so flat and unexciting.

I'll stand by Skyfall it's my no. 3, think Craig is for me still the stand out of that film despite Dench & Bardem on superb form.

Yes the plot holes are there but it I feel suspense, excitement and danger, the PTS is one of the best of the series and the film never really lets up.

The Scotland climax I know some don't like but I think after the Venice one in CR is the best of the DC era and certainly put the awfully generic one in SP into perspective.

Would go as far to say it's a piece of shit maybe not quite but it resides right near the bottom of my rankings, below even some films I couldn't care too much for because to me it deserves that ranking as so much was riding on it, this wasn't just another entry, it could have been so good but it dragged an era for me that had done so much right although some flaws right down.

SPECTRE taints the DC era, I just hope they can deal with it. In fact if they can continue from here and redeem this story and give us one or maybe 2 more to end the DC era I think that would make them more brave than just bunging on a standalone mission.

For them to start what they finish and get over that hurdle that was SPECTRE and get this back on track would be a real feat. If they did I think it would return confidence in their abilities and some of us wouldn't be getting so intrigued by the idea of BB & MGW selling their share on for another studio and outfit to take the reins.

Well said.

I give Mendes a hard time for both his entries but SP for the most part is irredeemably disappointing.

I watched SF yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely a lot better compared to previous viewings and the Scotland scenes didn't bother not bore me nearly as much as it has done in the past. SF is most certainly flawed but it's actually a lot better than I've given it credit for. The Tennyson/Court house shootout seemed a lot better too. Craig is great and he deserves to be compensated with at least one more film after the cock up that was SP. I also think the films miss Dench. She's great and ger dynamic with Craig rivals and in some cases surpasses the Lee/Connery dynamic.

If Mendes couldn't make another Bond film at least on par with SF he shouldn't have bothered returning. In any case I'm glad I rewatched SF and had an enjoyable time with it.

EoN are capable and deserving of another massive hit Bond film. Im really rooting for them to knock it out the park for Bond 25.

Italy is an extremely photogenic country and Eon can go back there as much as they like, as far as I'm concerned.

Anytime a Bond movie goes to Italy, the resulting scenes are often the highlight of the film. Take a look at QoS, SP, MR, TSWLM, FYEO, and of course CR and FRWL. The results speak for themselves.

Italy is nice but that's not the point. I don't care if it's the garden of Eden, it's not the only place on the planet worth using, especially 3 out of the last 4 Bond films. There are 196 countries in the world. These Bond movies as of late have become lackadaisical when it comes to locations and utilising them effectively. More of an effort needs to be made.

Form over content then? I'd rather have the same country used well over and over again than perfunctorily in a check-the-box way, a la parts of QoS and SP.
    antovolk wrote: »

Universal didn't even bid for them if I remember the NYT report correctly. Variety believes it's Warners.

In any case, who has B25 doesn't really matter as the deal (at least was - at the time of the NYT report) is only for B25, not any future films.
    I just went back and checked and Universal is listed as a bidder along with Warner, Sony, Annapurna, & 20th Century Fox.

I'm still rather amazed at how this information has not leaked and yet all the Craig stuff has. I'm quite certain it's a concerted leak from the inside. The question is, is it sanctioned, and if so to what end?

If not sanctioned, someone surely will be sacked.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I do hope Annapurna and Sony stay away from Bond. Not too thrilled about Warners and Fox either, due to their recent incompetence with a few entries. Although, I have a feeling MGM is going freelance again.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Well said.

Form over content then? I'd rather have the same country used well over and over again than perfunctorily in a check-the-box way, a la parts of QoS and SP.

It's not about ticking off boxes. Bond has always been about geopolitics and as such his job takes him all over the world. It's ridiculous using the same location repeatedly and only goes to show creative limitations and an inherent laziness which seeps into other areas; which is why we have the same wack writers continuously returning. Like I said, close to 200 countries in this world and we're visiting the same place 75% of the time in this era alone. Nah, that needs to stop.

Yes, because the Bond franchise is up in the market, they announced a 2019 release date before revealing the new owners. Can't see any sensibility in this statement here.

Are you not paying attention? They are thinking about selling the franchise AFTER Bond 25, not before.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'll be glad when this subject line is updated.
    Purity sounds like a new Madonna character. In the worst ways.

Are you not paying attention? They are thinking about selling the franchise AFTER Bond 25, not before.
    I'm paying attention alright. Unless there is actual evidence out there that they're selling it, it's as true as UFOs attacking us right now. They didn't go through countless lawsuits and acquire property rights for years (the latest one being in 2013) just to sell it like it meant nothing to them.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Someone needs to make a Nolan and Turner thread so this thread doesn't get clogged up with that nonsense. :))
    I think EON & particularly Babs are just flat out of ideas. If you think about it CR was the last film driven more so by plot than character. The last three films the story has played second fiddle.

Babs isn't very excited or enthusiastic when it comes to Bond anymore IMO, i think she feels the novelty has worn out as well as the originality. they must realise the last four films are trend followers & not setters.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Someone needs to make a Nolan and Turner thread so this thread doesn't get clogged up with that nonsense. :))
    Tell me about it!
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Babs isn't very excited or enthusiastic when it comes to Bond anymore IMO, i think she feels the novelty has worn out as well as the originality. they must realise the last four films are trend followers & not setters.
    We don't know that. Eon selling the Bond franchise is easily comparable to the logic offered by Mr. Orange to Eddie the Nice Guy in Reservoir Dogs that their most trusted man, Vic Vega, has turned on them after doing four years time for them. It's not sensible. It just isn't. Eon had gone through hell to purchase some of the rights that went divided in the past, so out of the blue at all of sudden, they'd decide to sell the whole thing that is their livelihood?
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think EON & particularly Babs are just flat out of ideas. If you think about it CR was the last film driven more so by plot than character. The last three films the story has played second fiddle.

I'd argue that Craig is just as responsible for the character thing as Babs. He's been quite involved with all of his films (in fact, it was a requirement for him before signing on). That's why I'm curious about the Demange angle, given the two have not worked together before and Demange isn't exactly a household name with a lot of credits behind him.

Regarding the sale, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to do it. Everyone has a price (even Lucas) and at some point people change and want to do other things. Given the box office of the last few outings, it would seem as good of a time to cash out as any.

Having said that, it's all just idle speculation at this point.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Bond lost it's trend-setting status after Moore became Bond, to be honest.
  • antovolk wrote: »

New York Times said in April Universal was bidding, that Paramount was not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/business/media/james-bond-sony-mgm-eon-productions.html?_r=0
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 386
    I think we can all agree that the announcement of a placeholder release date without confirmation of DC is mildly curious at the very least.

It smacks of negotiation IMHO. Whether the sticking point is director, script, creative involvement, money, two more films or a combination thereof, the safe bet is 1) Craig will return and 2) he is, like BB, keen to ensure that B25 is a return to form.

Despite the frustrating delay, I believe that EON are under no illusions that they burned some zeitgeist with SP. That the next movie will earn less than SP if they continue with the template Mendes established.

The good news is that EON have form when they allow themselves creative breathing space in production.
    FWIW, and I'm certainly no producer, but I'd be looking to halve SF's reported budget and focus the action on three main locations. A PTS, a European-based first act and then an extended travelogue through an exotic country. Give it time to breathe, for the audience to taste the locale, similar to the time spent in the Bahamas in TB. This would cut costs as well as provide opportunities for lifestyle porn that most of us yearn for.

Combine this with a tight, old school spy story in the vein of FYEO or TLD and sprinkle with some meticulously planned and edited action sequences like those from LTK.
    All good suggestions @GetCarter. Let's see what these people come up with. I'm not all that excited at this point. They can regain my trust in 2019..., or not. The classics are always there to keep me happy in the meanwhile.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Daniel Craig will be on the Todd & Tyler radio show tomorrow according to Twitter.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig will be on the Todd & Tyler radio show tomorrow according to Twitter.

423.gif
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    GetCarter wrote: »
    FWIW, and I'm certainly no producer, but I'd be looking to halve SF's reported budget and focus the action on three main locations. A PTS, a European-based first act and then an extended travelogue through an exotic country. Give it time to breathe, for the audience to taste the locale, similar to the time spent in the Bahamas in TB. This would cut costs as well as provide opportunities for lifestyle porn that most of us yearn for.

Combine this with a tight, old school spy story in the vein of FYEO or TLD and sprinkle with some meticulously planned and edited action sequences like those from LTK.

I think casino royale was roughly half of spectre's budget and it had enough suspense and action
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 386
    GetCarter wrote: »

I think casino royale was roughly half of spectre's budget and it had enough suspense and action

Yep, CR is a fine example of getting the job done through a smart, unorthodox romantic story and a director who understands what savoir faire is all about.

Both came cheap.
    it's as true as UFOs attacking us right now.
    No, you are not paying attention. For the umpteenth time, the person controlling the mi6-hq twitter account has confirmed that the rumor about the Broccoli family thinking about selling the Bond franchise is NOT nonsense.

edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    it's as true as UFOs attacking us right now.
    No, you are not paying attention. For the umpteenth time, the person controlling the mi6-hq twitter account has confirmed that the rumor about the Broccoli family thinking about selling the Bond franchise is NOT nonsense.
    Sure thing. Just like Tom Hiddleston was "so close" to obtaining the Bond role from Craig when everybody was awfully certain... Only this one is even more tenuous a story than Hiddleston's case.