No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I don't get all of the doom and gloom and cynicism around here. SP was not that bad, certainly not bad enough to make you all think the franchise just went over a cliff. Cheer up, folks.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not over the cliff maybe but teetering on the brink.

Where the Craig era goes from here who knows? Although I know some of us are very cautious and despite one of those that would like his return after SP's events are very sceptical to how this can be dealt with.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I have written some "controversial" opinions about SP, and Mendes, over in that thread, but, no matter how I view this last film, I have no doubt that B25 will bounce back in a big way.

EoN's a unique little company, and they seem to rise to the challenge.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,730
    TripAces wrote: »
    I don't get all of the doom and gloom and cynicism around here. SP was not that bad, certainly not bad enough to make you all think the franchise just went over a cliff. Cheer up, folks.

After viewing spectre once, I loved it. A return to greatness after what I though was one of the shittest bond outings. After a couple months, once I had seen it maybe 4-5 times. I took a sharp turn in what I thought. I noticed that the dialogue was the shittest of any bond film by far. The plot was shallow and silly. Blofled does nothing. I hate brother gate. I hate the score or lack of bond theme or OHMSS theme. I hate the ending. I hate the cgi. And i noticed I was only watching the film for the plane scene and the train fight, every thing else was like ughhhh Im just watching this to get to another part, which shows how shallow the story really is. For a movie that took three years to make and a whole massive 250 million dollar production, its awful. I also dislike all the mi6 characters in the field. And also, not only is the dialogue shit but aparently all the actors forgot how to act too. Last thing: " It was all me james"- biggest bullshit ever
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JamesBondKenya, your opinion is raw and earnest and not wrong.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    I have written some "controversial" opinions about SP, and Mendes, over in that thread, but, no matter how I view this last film, I have no doubt that B25 will bounce back in a big way.

EoN's a unique little company, and they seem to rise to the challenge.

I sure as hell hope it does.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    So do I @Creasy47. I look at the history of the franchise and, in almost 60 years, rarely does Eon follow a poor effort with an even poorer effort!

Chin up ! We r in good hands!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So do I @Creasy47. I look at the history of the franchise and, in almost 60 years, rarely does Eon follow a poor effort with an even poorer effort!

I'll take your word for it! Surely can't get worse than SP for me, so I look forward to (hopefully) ranting and raving about the next one.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,548

After viewing spectre once, I loved it. A return to greatness after what I though was one of the shittest bond outings. After a couple months, once I had seen it maybe 4-5 times. I took a sharp turn in what I thought. I noticed that the dialogue was the shittest of any bond film by far. The plot was shallow and silly. Blofled does nothing. I hate brother gate. I hate the score or lack of bond theme or OHMSS theme. I hate the ending. I hate the cgi. And i noticed I was only watching the film for the plane scene and the train fight, every thing else was like ughhhh Im just watching this to get to another part, which shows how shallow the story really is. For a movie that took three years to make and a whole massive 250 million dollar production, its awful. I also dislike all the mi6 characters in the field. And also, not only is the dialogue shit but aparently all the actors forgot how to act too. Last thing: " It was all me james"- biggest bullshit ever

SP has a lot going for it, a pretty long list, actually. I didn't find the dialogue as stitled as you did, though I was bothered that Bond used the "Instinct" bit twice: on Moneypenny and then again on Lucia. There was some good stuff in there:

"You're right sir, You do have a tricky day ahead."
    "Does it do anything?" / "It tells the time."
    "I said bring it back in one piece. Not bring back one piece." (Best line in a Bond film in a long, long time.)
    "How can you talk like this? Can't you see that I'm grieving?" / "No." (BTW: the quick wave at the end of this scene is priceless.)
    "It's just a friend." / "At this time of night?" / "It's called life, James. You should try it sometime."
    "You're a kite, dancing in a hurricane, Mr. Bond."
    "Well, that's not the sort of thing that looks good on a form."
    "Do me a favor, will you? Throw that down the toilet. Cut out the middle man."
    "No! Stay!"
    "There are two of you. Two Jameses."
    "You shouldn't stare." / "Well, you shouldn't look like that."

I think everyone agrees (and knew going in) that the third act was bad. And I blame that on a rushed production, more than anything else. For me, setting aside the foster brother subplot, the film went horribly astray at the torture scene. Up until that point, it's a damn fine Bond film...for almost two hours.

I think what's happening here is that after almost two years, and with two years to go until Bond 25, there may be "too much time on our hands" which may be causing an overreaction to SP's flaws.

SP will not be the film that sinks the franchise.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,242
    When I first saw SP in 2015, I had mostly just positive feelings about it - pretty much loved it. Since then, it has grown weaker for me, but I haven't done a full 180 like some people here. I think the film does a lot right and a lot wrong honestly - maybe moreso than any other Bond film, and that's what makes it such an interesting one for me.

The script has lines I loved and also many I disliked. The action scenes are a mixed bag (loved the PTS, the train fight, and the snow chase scene, but felt underwhelmed by the car chase and finale). Bringing back and finishing Mr. White was great! Blofeld and Bond's connection was uninspired. I thought the way SPECTRE was portrayed was pretty darn good, but I wish we had gotten to see more. Many individual scenes I thought were great (PTS, Mr. White, Sciarra's funeral, train fight, Austria scenes), and others really fell flat (scenes with the MI6 team, Blofeld's reveal, most of the third act). SP could just be the most uneven Bond film, but I really like what the film does right.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think @FoxRox has it exactly right-- SP has a lot right and a lot wrong-- hence my "beautiful mess" analysis.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    When I first saw SP in 2015, I had mostly just positive feelings about it - pretty much loved it. Since then, it has grown weaker for me, but I haven't done a full 180 like some people here. I think the film does a lot right and a lot wrong honestly - maybe moreso than any other Bond film, and that's what makes it such an interesting one for me.

The script has lines I loved and also many I disliked. The action scenes are a mixed bag (loved the PTS, the train fight, and the snow chase scene, but felt underwhelmed by the car chase and finale). Bringing back and finishing Mr. White was great! Blofeld and Bond's connection was uninspired. I thought the way SPECTRE was portrayed was pretty darn good, but I wish we had gotten to see more. Many individual scenes I thought were great (PTS, Mr. White, Sciarra's funeral, train fight, Austria scenes), and others really fell flat (scenes with the MI6 team, Blofeld's reveal, most of the third act). SP could just be the most uneven Bond film, but I really like what the film does right.

this
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Stuntmans Martin Ivanov and Gary Powell are both in Budapest. Maybe a possible B25 location?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Stuntmans Martin Ivanov and Gary Powell are both in Budapest. Maybe a possible B25 location?

Would be absolutely lovely, if so. Budapest, maybe Croatia, interesting considering they're not too far from one another.

Would be absolutely lovely, if so. Budapest, maybe Croatia, interesting considering they're not too far from one another.

Not sure. I mean, Budapest has been shown extensively in "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol". What I want for Bond #25 is a truly Original and unique feel, especially when it comes to locations.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

SP has a lot going for it, a pretty long list, actually. I didn't find the dialogue as stitled as you did, though I was bothered that Bond used the "Instinct" bit twice: on Moneypenny and then again on Lucia. There was some good stuff in there:

"You're right sir, You do have a tricky day ahead."
    "Does it do anything?" / "It tells the time."
    "I said bring it back in one piece. Not bring back one piece." (Best line in a Bond film in a long, long time.)
    "How can you talk like this? Can't you see that I'm grieving?" / "No." (BTW: the quick wave at the end of this scene is priceless.)
    "It's just a friend." / "At this time of night?" / "It's called life, James. You should try it sometime."
    "You're a kite, dancing in a hurricane, Mr. Bond."
    "Well, that's not the sort of thing that looks good on a form."
    "Do me a favor, will you? Throw that down the toilet. Cut out the middle man."
    "No! Stay!"
    "There are two of you. Two Jameses."
    "You shouldn't stare." / "Well, you shouldn't look like that."

I think everyone agrees (and knew going in) that the third act was bad. And I blame that on a rushed production, more than anything else. For me, setting aside the foster brother subplot, the film went horribly astray at the torture scene. Up until that point, it's a damn fine Bond film...for almost two hours.

I think what's happening here is that after almost two years, and with two years to go until Bond 25, there may be "too much time on our hands" which may be causing an overreaction to SP's flaws.

SP will not be the film that sinks the franchise.

The hurricane line is great, but unfortunately next to "he's everywhere..."-a shit line
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I detect no lies in this post. I'm very much in agreement.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Budapest has been shown extensively in "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol".
    What are you smoking, man? Budapest was shown in MI4 only in the opening sequence, for less than 5 minutes. Ethan Hunt didn't even show up in Budapest.
    They are there for the Mila Kunis movie, The Spy Who Dumped Me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Budapest does double as other places but I second it being used. My Wife and I went for a holiday there a few years back and fell in love with the place.

Stayed here on the Pest side of the city.

https://www.intercontinental.com/hotels/us/en/budapest/budhb/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki.sp.nd.ct&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qIta=99603195&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=20&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99603195&siclientid=1937&sitrackingid=948930706&dp=true&glat=SEAR

Quite possibly the most luxurious hotel we've ever stayed in, it's an old converted bath house. The Danube would be a terrific location for Bond and there is a the castle on Buda side of the city.

I have to admit I saw SPECTRE in a different light on my 2nd viewing less than a week later, my first take screening I was just all excited on seeing a new Bond film for the first time and possibly watched it in that frame of mind and thought it was great.

It was only when it settled that I started to think things over the ESB angle by the time I got to 2nd screening I was starting to see the flaws, after the PTS bar rare moments like the Bond and White meet up it felt so flat and unexciting.

I'll stand by Skyfall it's my no. 3, think Craig is for me still the stand out of that film despite Dench & Bardem on superb form.

Yes the plot holes are there but it I feel suspense, excitement and danger, the PTS is one of the best of the series and the film never really lets up.

The Scotland climax I know some don't like but I think after the Venice one in CR is the best of the DC era and certainly put the awfully generic one in SP into perspective.

Would go as far to say it's a piece of shit maybe not quite but it resides right near the bottom of my rankings, below even some films I couldn't care too much for because to me it deserves that ranking as so much was riding on it, this wasn't just another entry, it could have been so good but it dragged an era for me that had done so much right although some flaws right down.

SPECTRE taints the DC era, I just hope they can deal with it. In fact if they can continue from here and redeem this story and give us one or maybe 2 more to end the DC era I think that would make them more brave than just bunging on a standalone mission.

For them to start what they finish and get over that hurdle that was SPECTRE and get this back on track would be a real feat. If they did I think it would return confidence in their abilities and some of us wouldn't be getting so intrigued by the idea of BB & MGW selling their share on for another studio and outfit to take the reins.

Confront the Elephant in the room and really impress us into the bargain.

FoxRox wrote: »

Excellent post! Pretty much how i feel about SP now. Not the disaster being portrayed by some!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 11,139

Not sure. I mean, Budapest has been shown extensively in "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol". What I want for Bond #25 is a truly Original and unique feel, especially when it comes to locations.

Bond has been disappointing in many areas as if late and that definitely goes for locations. In SF we saw the same Turkish locations months prior in Taken 2, Italy has been used in 3 of the last 4 films
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Budapest does double as other places but I second it being used. My Wife and I went for a holiday there a few years back and fell in love with the place.

Stayed here on the Pest side of the city.

https://www.intercontinental.com/hotels/us/en/budapest/budhb/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki.sp.nd.ct&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qIta=99603195&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=20&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99603195&siclientid=1937&sitrackingid=948930706&dp=true&glat=SEAR

Quite possibly the most luxurious hotel we've ever stayed in, it's an old converted bath house. The Danube would be a terrific location for Bond and there is a the castle on Buda side of the city.

I have to admit I saw SPECTRE in a different light on my 2nd viewing less than a week later, my first take screening I was just all excited on seeing a new Bond film for the first time and possibly watched it in that frame of mind and thought it was great.

It was only when it settled that I started to think things over the ESB angle by the time I got to 2nd screening I was starting to see the flaws, after the PTS bar rare moments like the Bond and White meet up it felt so flat and unexciting.

I'll stand by Skyfall it's my no. 3, think Craig is for me still the stand out of that film despite Dench & Bardem on superb form.

Yes the plot holes are there but it I feel suspense, excitement and danger, the PTS is one of the best of the series and the film never really lets up.

The Scotland climax I know some don't like but I think after the Venice one in CR is the best of the DC era and certainly put the awfully generic one in SP into perspective.

Would go as far to say it's a piece of shit maybe not quite but it resides right near the bottom of my rankings, below even some films I couldn't care too much for because to me it deserves that ranking as so much was riding on it, this wasn't just another entry, it could have been so good but it dragged an era for me that had done so much right although some flaws right down.

SPECTRE taints the DC era, I just hope they can deal with it. In fact if they can continue from here and redeem this story and give us one or maybe 2 more to end the DC era I think that would make them more brave than just bunging on a standalone mission.

For them to start what they finish and get over that hurdle that was SPECTRE and get this back on track would be a real feat. If they did I think it would return confidence in their abilities and some of us wouldn't be getting so intrigued by the idea of BB & MGW selling their share on for another studio and outfit to take the reins.

Confront the Elephant in the room and really impress us into the bargain.

Well said.

I give Mendes a hard time for both his entries but SP for the most part is irredeemably disappointing.

I watched SF yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely a lot better compared to previous viewings and the Scotland scenes didn't bother not bore me nearly as much as it has done in the past. SF is most certainly flawed but it's actually a lot better than I've given it credit for. The Tennyson/Court house shootout seemed a lot better too. Craig is great and he deserves to be compensated with at least one more film after the cock up that was SP. I also think the films miss Dench. She's great and ger dynamic with Craig rivals and in some cases surpasses the Lee/Connery dynamic.

If Mendes couldn't make another Bond film at least on par with SF he shouldn't have bothered returning. In any case I'm glad I rewatched SF and had an enjoyable time with it.

EoN are capable and deserving of another massive hit Bond film. Im really rooting for them to knock it out the park for Bond 25.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond has been disappointing in many areas as if late and that definitely goes for locations. In SF we saw the same Turkish locations months prior in Taken 2, Italy has been used in 3 of the last 4 films
    So Budapest should not appear in Bond 25 just because in appeared in another action movie 6 years ago for less than 5 minutes?

Creasy47 wrote: »

I'll take your word for it! Surely can't get worse than SP for me, so I look forward to (hopefully) ranting and raving about the next one.

The reason that I'm still a little skeptical is that the last two Bond films have made ~2 billion dollars. Sure, some super-fans are disappointed with those movies, but EON have to balance that against 2 billion reasons to keep doing exactly what they've been doing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes @octofinger, but they made huge changes after DAD, even though they were raking in the dough as well.

Of course they have to balance commerce with vision, but I think they, as we all do, know that CR was best, and for many reasons (yes SF was a massive hit, but it was a Mendes film; one of the most pure Bond films in a very long time, that straddled its famed history, but did it in a fresh way, that took generously from the original source material, was CR).

I imagine that any director who climbs aboard doesn't want to make another SF. I imagine that they would want to make another ground-breaking film like CR (and not as a carbon-copy, either).

(shrugs)

I suppose we're all guessing, in the end, but the importance of CR lingers to this day (and why they tried to shoe-horn everything back to that film); so i think somewhere, Eon knows that this should be the base-line for them.

Mendes went too far in another direction (kitchen-sink melodrama); I think the new director will take us back to a more scaled down and exciting universe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They need to go back to basics and shake it up after the excesses of the last film. SP really was the end of an era that has come full circle in my view. In that respect it is very much like DAD, which capped the Brosnan era and pretty much encapsulated his approach.

I honestly can't see how they move forward without some significant changes all round. Anything less is going to still have a remnant of the past, and I think most (of course not all) truly believe it's time to move forward in a new way again.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    So Budapest should not appear in Bond 25 just because in appeared in another action movie 6 years ago for less than 5 minutes?

No. I didn't even mean to post that. That was actually part of a longer and in depth post which needed to be edited but I accidentally submitted prematurely and lost everything else.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,984
    bondjames wrote: »
    They need to go back to basics and shake it up after the excesses of the last film. SP really was the end of an era that has come full circle in my view. In that respect it is very much like DAD, which capped the Brosnan era and pretty much encapsulated his approach.

I honestly can't see how they move forward without some significant changes all round. Anything less is going to still have a remnant of the past, and I think most (of course not all) truly believe it's time to move forward in a new way again.

I would suggest that alternatively, SP could well signal the initiation of a trend towards the older style Bond movies with the campy humour and gadgets and everything. Bond 25 could carry those elements even more tightly.

At the same time, though, I would not want Craig to bow out on such a film. The long-lived Bonds have had rather weak entries as their finales, so if history is any indication, Craig will probably be retiring off the back of such a film. Still, I'd like him to pull off another masterpiece like CR or SF, tailored to his acting style, as his final flick. If he pulled off another CR, I believe that would cement him as the best Bond for many (certainly for me).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

I would suggest that alternatively, SP could well signal the initiation of a trend towards the older style Bond movies with the campy humour and gadgets and everything. Bond 25 could carry those elements even more tightly.

At the same time, though, I would not want Craig to bow out on such a film. The long-lived Bonds have had rather weak entries as their finales, so if history is any indication, Craig will probably be retiring off the back of such a film. Still, I'd like him to pull off another masterpiece like CR or SF, tailored to his acting style, as his final flick. If he pulled off another CR, I believe that would cement him as the best Bond for many (certainly for me).
    And therein lies the dilemma. I couldn't really care on what high or low Craig goes out on. He's just an actor to me. One who's played the role occupied by 5 other terrific participants who have carried this franchise forward for 50+ years.

To me it's all about where the franchise is at the moment, and where we should be going in order to right the ship, without any baggage in tow.

I think a more grittier and dark universe is what's required after SP. Something more down to earth. It's the perfect time to start fresh, because otherwise we will need another reboot in 2-3 years time, and that is just annoying to me after the long delay we've had. If we're going dark in the next one, it's the perfect time to launch a totally new concept and set it up for multiple future films.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,964
    Perfect world for me, Bond 25 a continuation of Spectre where Madeline dies at the end (not a remake of OHMSS but an ending similar to it), than Bond 26 in 2022 being a faithful adaptation to YOLT.

And that ends Craigs run as Bond
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    A fan favourite and a masterpiece aren't the same thing, however. I don't think outside the Connery era, and perhaps OHMSS (even though it has its haters mostly because of Lazenby), Bond really had a masterpiece. SF is a fan favourite, not a masterpiece. Far from it. CR, on the other hand, comes close in its own way.

That said, ditching the downer endings three of Craig's films possess, I'd like something along the lines of both From Russia with Love and The Living Daylights. That's as decent and balanced as the Craig Bond would get.

CR, as great as it was/is, is far too stripped down, and its semi-repetitive cycle for the rest of the current actor's tenure really grew the formula of it rather old. SF should never be repeated. And SP should have just deleted what was necessarily destroying the third act which didn't go unnoticed even during pre-production. Cut out the middle man (London Finale, that was always the problem) and expand the Blofeld lair. That set could've cost less than some "realistic world record earning" big explosion and an ugly bespoke car that is the DB10. It's not even a practical car to be driven. They could've just taken an existing car and it would've cost them by far less.