No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Maybe. Cubby wanted Dalton to be Bond through the 90s. That was Cubby's call.

Barbara is not her father. And she obviously has a different relationship to/appreciation for Craig than Cubby had for Dalton. (I'm not saying Cubby didn't like Dalton; just that we're taking about completely different degrees of devotion here.)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    These 4 year gaps are bruttaly long and it would be a shame to have one inbetween B25 and B26. If they recast after, it may happen, if they sell eon, it may also happen but if craig does B26- which he shouldnt- then it could be a 2 year gap.

You wonder if Craig once he gets to 5 would want to do one more to put him on a par with Connery?

Do we think being acclaimed as the best Bond ever is something he has ever thought about? I'd say if B25 is on a par with CR then he'd have a decent claim.

Two films back to back covering the Garden of Death, killing of Blofeld, amnesia, return from Vladivostok, assassination attempt on M and one final impossible mission, assuming the scripts are not totally botched by P&W, would see Craig, if not surpass Sean, at least be regarded as his equal surely?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    And then he would look to Moore and next the 8th being his swansong,but its not about that,he has to show he can give something to the series.

Connery struggled but Roger ,although looking older (I wish I looked as good when I hit that age,and I'm not talking about the mole removal etc ) still gave 100% right up until the end .

That's the difference and something I'm not convinced after SP that Craig could do.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited August 2017 Posts: 306
    Edit.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,961
    barryt007 wrote: »
    No we need to move away from all that and take Bond back to standalone films.

Won't happen. Eon just spent all that money on Blofeld, to shelve him? Nah.
    These 4 year gaps are bruttaly long and it would be a shame to have one inbetween B25 and B26. If they recast after, it may happen, if they sell eon, it may also happen but if craig does B26- which he shouldnt- then it could be a 2 year gap.

You wonder if Craig once he gets to 5 would want to do one more to put him on a par with Connery?

Do we think being acclaimed as the best Bond ever is something he has ever thought about? I'd say if B25 is on a par with CR then he'd have a decent claim.

Two films back to back covering the Garden of Death, killing of Blofeld, amnesia, return from Vladivostok, assassination attempt on M and one final impossible mission, assuming the scripts are not totally botched by P&W, would see Craig, if not surpass Sean, at least be regarded as his equal surely?

Here's a thought: what if they combined YOLT and TMWTGG into one film? The rap on the YOLT novel has always been that there is not enough plot. I don't know that it would totally work to have the assassination attempt in the middle of the film, though.
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Has anyone from EON said anything about Craig recently? I can't remember when they last mentioned him.

Have they been seen together?

I've seen Craig out at events on his own (including Omega) and EON reps (including Wilson) similarly, but that's about it.

A friend of mine spoke to Barbara around 4 weeks ago. She insisted that she wanted Craig back, but would not confirm (for obvious reasons) whether the deal had been done. In my opinion it had and the response was the only diplomatic one she could give.
    Good to know. Thanks. Someone seems to have leaked that to the NYT with a confirmation thrown in for good measure.

EDIT: Do you think the distribution deal has been done?

I do, yeah. Finally.

I agree with you. Read the tea leaves. The release date has already been set. Eon knows who's distributing.
    Shelving ? no.....but they will realise that they cocked up with the character after all this time,so a break might not be a bad thing.

Although I doubt they will kick Waltz into touch ,or Craig....times change.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Its funny to think of how poorly Blofeld has been presented on screen. I can only think of one solid performance for the charcater and that would be OHMSS
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Its funny to think of how poorly Blofeld has been presented on screen. I can only think of one solid performance for the charcater and that would be OHMSS

It really is a shame you would think by now they would get it right
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2017 Posts: 7,526

I thought Waltz' performance was great, suitably creepy in an under-your-skin kind of way, just let down by the story/other elements. Maybe just me though.

For me it's definitely Savalas, Waltz, Pleasance then that other guy (Grey?). There has been far worse than Waltz (again, IMO).

I've been thinking about it again lately and it would have served better if they had just done a bit of a FRWL rehash with regards to the plot (but Spectre rather than Smersh obviously), where Spectre was disappointed with Quantum's results in CR and QoS, cut off that tentacle of Spectre by killing off the remaining members, then going after Bond as retribution.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

I thought Waltz' performance was great, suitably creepy in an under-your-skin kind of way, just let down by the story/other elements. Maybe just me though
    Nope, we share the same sentiment.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,622
    I've always thought Gray's Blofeld looked a lot like how Fleming described Ernst in YOLT.
    Not quite the same completely unhinged personality though.
    I actually enjoy all the iterations of Ernst on screen, including Frwl &TB Blofeld plus of course Pleasance , Savalas and Gray.
    I'm ok with both Von Sydow and Waltz too, even with no socks.
    Maybe not so enamoured with FYEO Blofeld.
    I do like what Eon did with the scar in SP, an homage to, and continuation of sorts to the original full-facial screen Ernst.
    SP riffs heavily on both the OHMSS & YOLT films, but that is plain to see for hardcore fans
    I like Waltz's Blofeld fine; I didn't think he was incredible or bad. The OHMSS Blofeld is the only extremely great Blofeld I think we have gotten.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I would like to see Waltz get a second chance as Blofeld. Give him something to sink his teeth into and show his more ruthless side.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »
    I would like to see Waltz get a second chance as Blofeld. Give him something to sink his teeth into and show his more ruthless side.
    Yep!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That begins with a great script. A talented actor can only do so much.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I rather not
    I rather not

The same here.
    EON might be looking for Craig to do to more after all.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 386
    from prison, blofeld (waltz) hires scaramanga (cumberbatch) to put a bullet through Bond's skull.

you could *almost* have Madeleine Swann assassinated by scaramanga without too many accusations of repetition (vesper). especially if they break up first.
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    When do people think mgm will have its quarterly investors meeting in August? Bond 25 will be brought up this time I know that

Some time in the first half of this month.
    I rather not

Do you really think the problem was the actor?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    EON might be looking for Craig to do to more after all.

I am still of the belief that two films can be completed, in one shooting schedule, despite DC's claims otherwise. I mean, they almost had two films worth of material in SP.

It is hard not to conclude that EON would have Waltz back, in that role, in Bond 25. After all those years of legal struggles over this character, and then they finally get him back...and do what? Give him a flimsy villain's role in which he doesn't even die at the end? There would be something amiss.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    The title of bond 25 and if Craig is coming back will have a lot of a hint of where they are going next
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Waltz was/is a fine Blofeld for me. We have to remember that he's playing Waltz Blofeld, not Fleming Blofeld.
    Should Craig return for Bond 25, I would hope Waltz did as well..
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Waltz isnt bad at all but he needs better material
    I enjoyed Waltz as Blofeld, particularly in Rome.

Not Savalas heights, but close enough.

Actually, Savalas Heights sounds like a nice place to live.
    I'd easily aspire to property in Savalas Heights.

He simply had more to do in OHMSS than Waltz had in Spectre. Here's hoping, if he comes back, that he's a real part to play next time out.
    I'd easily aspire to property in Savalas Heights.

He simply had more to do in OHMSS than Waltz had in Spectre. Here's hoping, if he comes back, that he's a real part to play next time out.

Agree. If he returns, Waltz needs to have some decent material to work with, and more to do in the scenes he appears.

Was rather hoping Waltz would play a different character when rumours of his casting was in the news. Do feel that a Blofeld should be more of a physical threat to Craig's Bond, like Savalas to Lazenby.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Waltz was okay but let down a bit by crummy writing and poor direction.

Waltz himself admits he didn't really nail it. There was also tension between Waltz and Mendes about how to portray the character.

A bit of an anticlimax if you ask me and of course Brofeld is a travesty but not something Waltz can be blamed for.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    ohmss42 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @QuantumOrganization -- does this still include a two-pic conclusion??
    ?

Think he means when you said expect 2 more Craig movies... you have been quite accurate as of late

Could someone enlighten me as to what @QuantumOrganization did to be deemed 'accurate'?