No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Christ I think I preferred link after link to the same Mirror story being posted than what appears to have turned into an Open University module on URLs.

@TheWizardOfIce you've just made me smile on what has been quite a stressful day :)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I wonder if that article was a strategic move on the Mirrors part. They know Craig has a film coming out next month. And everyone will be trying to ask him about Bond 25 anyway, so why not sow the seeds now. The media will do what it does, pick up the story and run with it. It might be a play to try and force Craig into talking about Bond 25 during his press rounds for 'Logan Lucky'. Especially if no other rumours crop up in the mean time.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Can we not just send Bond on a completely new,mission based,stand-alone film ?
    This would give Daniel Craig just as good a send off.

Why does Madeline have to be in it at all...she could be mentioned in a few lines of dialogue and that's that.

Bond is not a soap-opera.

Because they've gone so far down this road now they cant just pretend none of it ever happened.

Theyve dug this hole for themseleves and for them to just magic it away and carry on as normal is treating the audience like mugs.

Two words: Tiffany Case.

Three words: Forget about her

Madeleine or Tiffany? I was of course referring to the way the dealt with Case in the novels: one passing mention in FRWL explaining that it didn't work out.

I know what you meant. I meant Madeleine of course, since I do not happen to hold anything against miss Chase. Actually I consider her incarnation in the movie highly attractive.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    In all honesty, I'd almost rather break a glass and slash my wrists than see a YOLT adaptation. I'm firmly against any more of this angst ridden b/s. Enough already.

You've hit the nail on the head. I'm not averse to the idea of Bond being personally affected by the nature of work in the field, but the idea has been played out at this point. I'm just not convinced this team can, or has any desire to, deliver anything else. The moments of classic Bond that were in SPECTRE seemed rather "of the peg" to me, and uninspired. I mean, seriously? A ejector seat car. Could you get anymore stock gadget than that? I feel the same way about the train fight and the white Tux Bond wears during it. When people say they want classic Bond back, they mean the feeling of classic Bond. They want iconic imagery and eclectic characters, but that doesn't mean they want to see literally the same imagery lifted from the older films and dropped into the latest film with no imagination or creativity. I appreciate it's a subtle distinction, and finding that balance is hard, but to me EON haven't even made a solid attempt at it. It's like they've lost confidence in their ability to ride the line between genuine danger and over the top adventure, so they decided to go on this weird character drama tangent. The longer they keep making repeats of the same character arcs, the more it seems like a crutch. It was a neat departure in 2006, and the novelty was counter balanced nicely by the Fleming material, but over 10 years later to still be pretending like this is an avenue that requires further exploration is a little bit insulting. It's no longer clever, or interesting, or brave, it's just boring and dull.

Very good post.

They need to look back at and take inspiration from the Roger era and even (to a lesser extent as they did hammer the cliches post GE) Brozza.

Have confidence in your leading man and the character and create your own iconic moments.

Mendes' fanboy overuse of the DB5 for example will quickly send you into a law of diminishing returns death spiral.

Nothing great was ever created by CTRL C, CTRL V.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I wonder if that article was a strategic move on the Mirrors part. They know Craig has a film coming out next month. And everyone will be trying to ask him about Bond 25 anyway, so why not sow the seeds now. The media will do what it does, pick up the story and run with it. It might be a play to try and force Craig into talking about Bond 25 during his press rounds for 'Logan Lucky'. Especially if no other rumours crop up in the mean time.

People were surely going to ask one way or another. Surely coming up with a false rumor wasn't necessary to kickstart an inevitable discussion.
    Well, here we are. Fresh from The Guardian,

"What Would a Christopher Nolan Bond Film Look Like?"

Some interesting thoughts. I suspect they're off base with Tom Hardy - at 39 today, he's too old (in my opinion) to sign a multi-film contract. I think you want to find someone who's early/mid 30s, tops.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »

People were surely going to ask one way or another. Surely coming up with a false rumor wasn't necessary to kickstart an inevitable discussion.
    If someone didn't know what the Mirror was before (or had forgotten about it), they surely do now. I agree that they didn't have to do it, but also agree that it was a self serving stroke of marketing chutzpah.
    Saw this on the Guardian website. Amusing post about a Chris Nolan James Bond film:

antjone

We all miss the first 5 minutes as my dad is asking who wants nuts, choccies and booze.
    Tom Hardy is Bond, getting into fights, mumbling, drinking Vesper Martinis (actually quite nice, unlike the "vodka martini" horror), stealing things.
    Around the 40 minute point my dad falls asleep.
    Michael Caine is Q, refuses to give Bond any gadgets. "I can't watch you kill yourself, 007". Audience cries, and then feels a bit ashamed.
    My dad wakes, says he doesn't know what's going on, falls back asleep.
    Bond is dragged in to M's office (Cader Idris Elba) where Bond turns his pockets out, and all the weird stuff he's nicked fits together as the laser gun Blofeld (still that German bloke, still criminally mis-used) was building to take over the world or something.
    Everyone delighted, my dad and Bond piss themselves at the same time. Bond with laughter, my dad less figuratively.
    Christmas Day 2025, or was it?

:)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    octofinger wrote: »

Some interesting thoughts. I suspect they're off base with Tom Hardy - at 39 today, he's too old (in my opinion) to sign a multi-film contract. I think you want to find someone who's early/mid 30s, tops.
    Not too sure about Hardy, but give me Bale, Hiddleston or Fassbender with Nolan and I'm in.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    In all honesty, I'd almost rather break a glass and slash my wrists than see a YOLT adaptation. I'm firmly against any more of this angst ridden b/s. Enough already.

You've hit the nail on the head. I'm not averse to the idea of Bond being personally affected by the nature of work in the field, but the idea has been played out at this point. I'm just not convinced this team can, or has any desire to, deliver anything else. The moments of classic Bond that were in SPECTRE seemed rather "of the peg" to me, and uninspired. I mean, seriously? A ejector seat car. Could you get anymore stock gadget than that? I feel the same way about the train fight and the white Tux Bond wears during it. When people say they want classic Bond back, they mean the feeling of classic Bond. They want iconic imagery and eclectic characters, but that doesn't mean they want to see literally the same imagery lifted from the older films and dropped into the latest film with no imagination or creativity. I appreciate it's a subtle distinction, and finding that balance is hard, but to me EON haven't even made a solid attempt at it. It's like they've lost confidence in their ability to ride the line between genuine danger and over the top adventure, so they decided to go on this weird character drama tangent. The longer they keep making repeats of the same character arcs, the more it seems like a crutch. It was a neat departure in 2006, and the novelty was counter balanced nicely by the Fleming material, but over 10 years later to still be pretending like this is an avenue that requires further exploration is a little bit insulting. It's no longer clever, or interesting, or brave, it's just boring and dull.

Good post. Probably why it seemed the makers of SP had created random Bondian scenes before the script was written and then tried to shoehorn them into the narrative.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

My lord...I had them beat on this weeks ago:

http://eyeonbond.com/2017/06/24/what-to-expect-if-christopher-nolan-directs-a-james-bond-film/

Not too sure about Hardy, but give me Bale, Hiddleston or Fassbender with Nolan and I'm in.

I just watched High Rise, and I think Hiddleston would work well if things went in a slightly more Moore-esque direction. He can do enough action to be convincing, but mostly has that slightly cheeky, rakish air. He could be a good charmer, I think. Bale I'm not interested in, and for Fassbender I'm ambivalent.

I'm afraid the days when he was a great choice ( and he was ) are over. Looking at photos of the current alien I only can state, that his face is loosing sharpness/definition.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Bale would be a depressing choice.
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.
  • re: often-repeated "slit my wrists" will be repeated when Bond 25 comes out.

Essentially that's the basis for this Daily Beast story, "Why Grumpy Daniel Craig Shouldn't Return as James Bond."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/why-grumpy-daniel-craig-shouldnt-return-as-james-bond
    I would definitely not want to see Bale as Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Neither would I. After he totally butchered Batman, I don't want to see him butcher Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    Neither would I. After he totally butchered Batman, I don't want to see him butcher Bond.
    I don't blame Bale for that. I blame Nolan for that.

I think they both get a share of blame. But yes I see your point.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Annapurna, 20th Century Fox Sign Multi-Year Home Entertainment Pact
    variety.com/2017/film/news/annapurna-fox-home-entertainment-1202492104/

Fox deals with the Bond dvd/blu-ray releases, and Annapurna already signed an international distribution with MGM earlier in the year. Could they be leading the pack?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    What if they're not waiting for Craig, but for Nolan?
    Unlikely.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    What if they're not waiting for Craig, but for Nolan?

I think we're too far down the road for Nolan to accept the role at the moment. IF he was part of this franchise, I assumed he'd want a say in casting and story from the word go.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,446
    Annapurna, 20th Century Fox Sign Multi-Year Home Entertainment Pact
    variety.com/2017/film/news/annapurna-fox-home-entertainment-1202492104/

Fox deals with the Bond dvd/blu-ray releases, and Annapurna already signed an international distribution with MGM earlier in the year. Could they be leading the pack?

Sound like something like United Artist. MGM and United Artist making Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies. Possible Fox release it in the cinema and MGM/Fox doing the DVD. I know VHS releases (All 20 from first 18 movies) are done by MGM/United Artist.

Twine was released by MGM/UE in the cinema also, but before the dvd release United Artist was gone (If iam correct VHS is done by MGM/Fox like there did DVD) and on the Twine dvd (MGM/Fox) the movie only starts with MGM logo. Stil other SE include United Artist logo, because it are are late 1999/earlier 2000 edits (The dvd's be released in 2000 in VS and 2001 in Europe), whyle Twine was released in September/October 2000. Die Another Day MGM/FOX in making and DVD release (In VS the movie was released by MGM/Sony in cinema and in Europe by MGM/FOX without Sony or Fox logo).

Annapurna logo, then MGM lion with both cinema and BD/DVD and in my opnion it then making it a MGM Annapurna movie, with help of Fox.
    So many new posts but alas we still know nothing sadly.

Yes, what we want is to get back to the "feel" of classic Bond.
    Watch any of the '60s or '70s Bonds. That feel is there.
    Still I think the way to do Bond 25, with Craig likely back, is to continue the SP story. I'd like to see Madeleine written out as each Bond film typically has its own unique Bond Girl. That's a tradition worth preserving.
    To get the old "feel" back, simply dispense with the personal drama.
    Bond and Blofeld, despite how badly it was done, are at least re-established as arch enemies.
    So let the two continue their battle. The new story need not be weighed down by the brother angle.
    Give Craig one final mission-battle against his ultimate enemy.
    I am very sure the Castle of Death story will be tied-in to the new film.
    By end of film, Blofeld can suffer an inconclusive fate, thus keeping him fresh, for a future re-imagining.
    And yes, count me among those who very much want to see Bond battling iconic nemesis Spectre and Blofeld on into the future.
    The future of Bond going forward looks bright, if only Eon could just get moving on this next film.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 12,837

How did either of them butcher Batman? I've read this a lot online lately and to me it just smacks of comic book fans being ungrateful. All those films were critically acclaimed and really well made. There were calls for The Dark Knight to be nominated for best picture.

I haven't read the comics but as far as I understand, the Nolan films weren't very faithful. So? You two are big Brosnan fans and those films were far from faithful to Fleming. And if being more faithful to the comics means we get CGI heavy, excitement light pieces of crap like Man Of Steel and (haven't seen them but I'm assuming) the rest of them then I'll take Nolan pissing all over the characters roots any day of the week. But from the knowledge of the character I do have, I don't see what he did wrong. All the important stuff was there. And the films themselves were fantastic.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I wouldn't expect any official news any time soon ... EON is loving this.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    TripAces wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I wouldn't expect any official news any time soon ... EON is loving this.

What? This thread? They're the only ones who are.

How did either of them butcher Batman?

I don't like their takes on the character. Not sure how that makes me ungrateful. I'm not a Batman comic purist or anything. I can't say that I've read a Batman comic in my whole life. I just think the characterization and performance of Batman in the Nolan films stinks.