No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    peter wrote: »
    @noSolaceleft, why the negativity, friend?.

The above is a stinker, but I'm just having fun throwing ideas against the wall. It's called spit-balling, which, all in the name of fun (there's that word again), puts us, temporarily, in the seats of EoN, since it's likely this is what they've been doing: spit-balling.

It's a fun (oops, there's the f-word again) exercise. Most ideas that come out of a spit-balling session are terrible (like mine from above), but it helps separate the golden nuggets from the muck. And, all this talk of killing off Bond in the next film was getting a little disheartening.... so my (fun) idea was an attempt at trying to imagine what the next story "could be"...

If DC stays on, they will more than likely continue with the threads from his other four films, including the most recent.

Nothing against the actress, but I want to see Madeleine the character gone as quickly as is possible, and I came up with the rather poor idea that she was also poisoned by Blofeld (and it truly is a terrible idea, such is my lust to see her gone; I've also said in other passages that she's one of many victims in a terror attack financed by SPECTRE, an attack that has relevance to the larger story, but also as revenge on Bond at the same time-- probably an equally embarrassing idea, but one that shows my obsession to get Maddy gone in ten minutes of screen time, or less!)

Instead of slamming what everyone else writes on this forum, why don't you share with us some of your thoughts? Because, to date, what I have read of your participation seems to always question (indignantly), or put a negative twist to what others are saying.

Loosen up a little @noSolaceleft, have a little "fun" (without snide banter or attempts at belittling); participate and engage our membership with your own thoughts and ideas. We may not all agree on everything, but this forum is a highway of differing opinions and the free exchange of ideas-- that is a good and positive thing, nosolace, and it includes disagreements and healthy debate.

So, to you @noSolaceleft, I wish you a good day!

Sorry I mocked you, but I honestly feel the last thing the Bond movies need ( and can afford right now) is more tragic and especially personal tragic. So many people I talk to about the current Bond movies perceive it right now as a dour and melodramatic affair. Problem is, the Bond they have come to enjoy and like from their childhood on (many of them - boy or girl - together with their fathers ) is something completely else. They simply feel the franchise has lost its special touch that distinguishes it from the competition. And frankly, so do I. I'm really completely fed up with all those Hommages and nods to the past wile delivering a nearly nearly complete opposite of what made the franchise great and immortal.
    I hope that explains a little bit why I reacted so sarcastic on your (and some other) post. Again, sorry.

Does that mean if Craig comes back you are against an adaption of Fleming's YOLT? Personally I cant see any other way they can go but if people dont want a dour, depressing character arc then its the wrong direction as we'd have Madeline killed, Bond having a virtual breakdown and then the blood lust revenge killing of Blofeld and then the downbeat amnesia ending.

Personally I would love it but would it be a bit of a risk for EON as it would be such a long way removed from what audiences are used to in a Bond film (even a Craig film), especially since large parts of SP rekindled the old style Bond film.

But if they are ever to adapt YOLT and the Garden of Death they have the actor to do it, they have (kind of ) set up the Tracy/Blofeld arc - just need to kill Madeline after 5 mins.

Maybe something along the lines of:

PTS - Bond and Madeline on holiday somewhere exotic (whichever country wants to attract EON to film there with some tax breaks) and a tight dramatic action sequence culminating in Maddie being killed (possibly introduce Bunt here). Basically the opening of Bourne Supremacy.

Act 1 - Bond in a right state drinking too much and visiting Sir James Molony. In the background its mentioned Blofeld has escaped (do we really need to show another prison break sequence? Although a chance for a bit of action as a counterpoint to the largely office based drama going on at MI6). MI6 is pulling out all the stops to hunt him down and M is too busy to worry about carrying Bond. We get the scene from YOLT between M and Molony pretty much as written.

Act 2 - With all the other 00 agents engaged around the globe on the hunt for Blofeld, M gets some thin intelligence about some dodgy character called Shatterhand come through from Japan. Acting on Maloney's advice to give Bond one last shot and because everyone else is more concerned about Blofeld he sends him out and he starts to investigate Shatterhand's scheme (which is a much more global threat than some suicides - although we need to keep the suicide stuff and Garden of Death) with Tiger and Dikko (who needs to be genuinely engaging and funny to bring some much needed light relief). Maybe meet Bunt and have her as the main villain in this act before the Blofeld reveal in act 3? Chance for an epic action sequence on the Shinkansen as they spot the SPECTRE agent on the way to Fukuoka who maybe kills Henderson.

Act 3 - Pretty much plays out as per the book. Possibly have M/Tiger realise too late that Shatterhand is Blofeld and send in the ninjas if you want a big action finale that we can cut back and forth between Bond and Blofeld going at it.

Not sure how keen the public would be as theres not much scope for gadgets and Aston Martins but I'd take it as the finale to the Craig era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In all honesty, I'd almost rather break a glass and slash my wrists than see a YOLT adaptation. I'm firmly against any more of this angst ridden b/s. Enough already.
    I'd rather have Madeleine be dealt with the way Tiffany Case was in the novels. Regarding Craig, he's getting old for Bond but given the rather unconvincing (IMO) list of potential successors I would rather see him for one more.
    bondjames wrote: »
    In all honesty, I'd almost rather break a glass and slash my wrists than see a YOLT adaptation. I'm firmly against any more of this angst ridden b/s. Enough already.

There so needs to be a throwaway line in Bond 25 about slashing one's wrists.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Can we not just send Bond on a completely new,mission based,stand-alone film ?
    This would give Daniel Craig just as good a send off.

Why does Madeline have to be in it at all...she could be mentioned in a few lines of dialogue and that's that.

Bond is not a soap-opera.
    Dennison wrote: »

There so needs to be a throwaway line in Bond 25 about slashing one's wrists.

Yeah ,good idea. That'll be so funny.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Why does Madeline have to be in it at all...she could be mentioned in a few lines of dialogue and that's that.

Because they've gone so far down this road now they cant just pretend none of it ever happened.

Theyve dug this hole for themseleves and for them to just magic it away and carry on as normal is treating the audience like mugs.

Because they've gone so far down this road now they cant just pretend none of it ever happened.

Theyve dug this hole for themseleves and for them to just magic it away and carry on as normal is treating the audience like mugs.

Well they did that with DAD didn't they ? ;)

Apparently the Origin redirection exist since years : https://web.archive.org/web/20150701000000*/origin.007.com
    But the thing is still why is it linked to the Official Bond Website,it cant be coincidence.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    But the thing is still why is it linked to the Official Bond Website,it cant be coincidence.
    I would think that redirection makes the most sense actually. If it's a url that was purchased strategically just to protect against misuse of the term, why not redirect it to the main site? Otherwise one would need to create a dedicated landing page for something which perhaps has no intention of ever being used.

I do it myself for a few url's I own for exactly the same reason.
  • RC7RC7
    Apparently the Origin redirection exist since years : https://web.archive.org/web/20150701000000*/origin.007.com

I was going to ask about this. I'm not particularly web savvy, but it seems like a bit of nothing to me. Happy to be corrected.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 308
    The foxfilm.com nameservers have been set on June 6th 2013, you can check here:
    http://whoisrequest.com/history/

Edit; interesting to see that the first record of redirection to origin.007.com dates from June 7th 2013, a day after the nameserver change to foxfilm.com.

Edit 2; another domain with the same nameservers is takenmovie.com. If you use origin.takenmovie.com it also redirects to the main domain. The same goes for planetoftheapes.com. So I gues it is default for those sites to use that origin redirect.

So, I don't think there's any news here.
    I would think that redirection makes the most sense actually. If it's a url that was purchased strategically just to protect against misuse of the term, why not redirect it to the main site? Otherwise one would need to create a dedicated landing page for something which perhaps has no intention of ever being used.

True..i do see your point there.

I think you are right,old pal.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2017 Posts: 5,983
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'd rather have Madeleine be dealt with the way Tiffany Case was in the novels. Regarding Craig, he's getting old for Bond but given the rather unconvincing (IMO) list of potential successors I would rather see him for one more.

I really don't want to see a prison break so soon after Silva. I'd much rather see Blofeld acquitted by some court...but I think that a prison break is the easiest shorthand to get us out of this mess. Maybe a prison break with someone significant to the series killed, like Moneypenny or (in some convoluted way, I'm sure) Madeleine.

I agree about Tiffany but it's not as dramatic for the filmic Bond as if she were killed, unless he chooses tracking down Blofeld over her (but SP already flagged the opposite choice), and she's like, "Enough."

Let's face it: if we want to get out of the SP mess as quickly as possible with Craig, Blofeld needs to escape and Madeleine needs to die.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    SPECTRE was announced exactly 4 years ago. http://www.007.com/bond-24-news-2/

Maybe we will hear something by the end of this month?
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

None can purchase the URL. It is a third level URL, so only the ones that have the 007.com can open it

None can purchase the URL. It is a third level URL, so only the ones that have the 007.com can open it
    I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    I edited my previous reply about this, but in case people missed it ;-);
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    The foxfilm.com nameservers have been set on June 6th 2013, you can check here:
    http://whoisrequest.com/history/

Edit; interesting to see that the first record of redirection to origin.007.com dates from June 7th 2013, a day after the nameserver change to foxfilm.com.

Edit 2; another domain with the same nameservers is takenmovie.com. If you use origin.takenmovie.com it also redirects to the main domain. The same goes for planetoftheapes.com. So I gues it is default for those sites to use that origin redirect.

So, I don't think there's any news here.
    Christ I think I preferred link after link to the same Mirror story being posted than what appears to have turned into an Open University module on URLs.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,575
    I just hope, pray like most members on this forum that the ever popular Scooby-Doo gang return in bond 25. That will be tremendous.

And Tanner hopefully gets a toupee.

Two words: Tiffany Case.

Three words: Forget about her

I was referring to the whole Daniel Craig era being one intertwined story arc not Maddie specifically.

She can disappear as entirely as the other Maddie for me but what is more different to row back from is all the Blofeld and SPECTRE stuff.

Of course they could completely ignore it and give us a stand alone film like they (seemed to) with SF. But that would be a rather frank admission that what they did with SP was a total and utter failure.

The irony of SP's botched execution is that the rights they fought Mcclory so hard to get their hands on are now an albatross going forwards they would be happy to be rid of.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Christ I think I preferred link after link to the same Mirror story being posted than what appears to have turned into an Open University module on URLs.
    One thing we agree on, Lad.
  • Is syncopy big enough to distribute a bond picture? Seems like it would be a big decider if Chris Nolan is in the running.

It has never distributed a movie.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

You've hit the nail on the head. I'm not averse to the idea of Bond being personally affected by the nature of work in the field, but the idea has been played out at this point. I'm just not convinced this team can, or has any desire to, deliver anything else. The moments of classic Bond that were in SPECTRE seemed rather "of the peg" to me, and uninspired. I mean, seriously? A ejector seat car. Could you get anymore stock gadget than that? I feel the same way about the train fight and the white Tux Bond wears during it. When people say they want classic Bond back, they mean the feeling of classic Bond. They want iconic imagery and eclectic characters, but that doesn't mean they want to see literally the same imagery lifted from the older films and dropped into the latest film with no imagination or creativity. I appreciate it's a subtle distinction, and finding that balance is hard, but to me EON haven't even made a solid attempt at it. It's like they've lost confidence in their ability to ride the line between genuine danger and over the top adventure, so they decided to go on this weird character drama tangent. The longer they keep making repeats of the same character arcs, the more it seems like a crutch. It was a neat departure in 2006, and the novelty was counter balanced nicely by the Fleming material, but over 10 years later to still be pretending like this is an avenue that requires further exploration is a little bit insulting. It's no longer clever, or interesting, or brave, it's just boring and dull.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SPECTRE was announced exactly 4 years ago. http://www.007.com/bond-24-news-2/

Maybe we will hear something by the end of this month?

I wouldn't go banco on that but it'd definitely be a pleasant surprise.

Three words: Forget about her

Madeleine or Tiffany? I was of course referring to the way the dealt with Case in the novels: one passing mention in FRWL explaining that it didn't work out.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

Thanks for your useful comment