No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Is this script based on a novel or other source material? Why haven't P&W been that possibly inspired with Bond?
    Possibly too dark? Bond films are geared to box office these days, or at least that's how it seems barring a reset.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,161
    bondjames wrote: »
    Is this script based on a novel or other source material? Why haven't P&W been that possibly inspired with Bond?
    Possibly too dark? Bond films are geared to box office these days, or at least that's how it seems barring a reset.

Say no more. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Christ, I-we-need a story like this. Give me a Bond film that has a chase or battle in the Suicide Forest and a climax/raid upon a Japanese castle raised on a plateau and I will devote my life to you forever.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Is that Black Rain? You know... that 90s movie with Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Because formula and stuff.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Is that Black Rain? You know... that 90s movie with Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia?

Does sound similar, doesn't it? I haven't seen or thought of Black Rain in years so I really don't remember that story.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 40,562

I believe you mean "that 90's movie with Michael Douglas' awesome mullet."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Black Rain is an interesting film. I remember it having a modern, almost Blade Runner aesthetic in places, and the Yakuza villain is a pretty mean character. Worth a watch.
    I loved the villain in it, obviously, but the film's underground casual setting is perfectly descriptive of what I strongly dislike about that period of time, and/or era. Had it been made 15 years later, I believe it would have been a lot better film.
    If you want to see an excellent film akin to 'Black Rain' or even this upcoming 'The Avenging Silence,' check out Pollack's 'The Yakuza,' which was recommended to me on here a couple of years back, and I've loved it ever since.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Hollywood's Merger Mania: Inside the Studios' "Size Anxiety," Scramble to Match Silicon Valley
    hollywoodreporter.com/features/hollywoods-merger-mania-inside-studios-size-anxiety-scramble-match-silicon-valley-963241

Lionsgate, meanwhile, has its eye on MGM or Viacom's Paramount Pictures, though bankers say the studio may well attract a buyer first.
    Will definitely do, @Creasy47. Your recommendations hardly disappoint me.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,161
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Hollywood's Merger Mania: Inside the Studios' "Size Anxiety," Scramble to Match Silicon Valley
    hollywoodreporter.com/features/hollywoods-merger-mania-inside-studios-size-anxiety-scramble-match-silicon-valley-963241

Lionsgate, meanwhile, has its eye on MGM or Viacom's Paramount Pictures, though bankers say the studio may well attract a buyer first.

Hey, I suggested Lionsgate months ago, if anyone remembers? Said it would fit well with MGM because they already have Leo the Lion as their mascot. I hope that happens!
    If Lionsgate gets it, Luc Besson is very likely to be at the helm of at least one Bond film.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Hey, I suggested Lionsgate months ago, if anyone remembers? Said it would fit well with MGM because they already have Leo the Lion as their mascot. I hope that happens!
    It's a match made in heaven. Leo the lion lionsgate and mgm and too lionsgate needs a big franchise they don't really have much
    :-bd :-? B-)
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,116
    If Liongate gets it then we're in for a wait. I think we are anyway.

Liongate and MGM I think also have not had the best relationship.

I just want Bond with a far more stable studio and to survive all the flux.

Just wish we had more of an idea of where B25 is at but I feel given the status of MGM and the industry then probably not beyond ideas. I don't of course nor do I claim to.

Limbo I think.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If Lionsgate gets it, Luc Besson is very likely to be at the helm of at least one Bond film.

I don't want to have to kill him, but if I must to save the franchise... He's one of those style over any substance guys that worries me. He used to have a certain magic back in the day, but now he's in the camp of Michael Bay. I never want Bond to go back to style over substance again.

I don't want to have to kill him, but if I must to save the franchise... He's one of those style over any substance guys that worries me. He used to have a certain magic back in the day, but now he's in the camp of Michael Bay. I never want Bond to go back to style over substance again.

That hit me funny. :)

Note to self: never cross Brady.
    If Liongate gets it then we're in for a wait. I think we are anyway.

Liongate and MGM I think also have not had the best relationship.

I just want Bond with a far more stable studio and to survive all the flux.

Just wish we had more of an idea of where B25 is at but I feel given the status of MGM and the industry then probably not beyond ideas. I don't course of course nor do I claim to.

Limbo I think.

You know, in a funny way I've learnt to embrace it. Embrace the limbo. Just think of it that we are in the space between spaces. Who knows how long our stay here will be, but hopefully it's something we will look back on and be glad for. Maybe we are in for a wait, but when Bond finally does return, it will be with an even louder bang because of it. Personally I'd rather wait 4/5 years for a classic than 2/3 years for another decent outing.

~O)
    Limbo? Who the hell is spinning tops again?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423

I agree. All he makes nowadays is a pure garbage. I wouldn't want him to direct a Bond film at all. Neither him nor his sidekick, that Olivier Megaton. Forgot his name almost.

"You're waiting for a train. A train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you. But you can't know for sure. Yet it doesn't matter. Now, tell me why?"

I agree. All he makes nowadays is a pure garbage. I wouldn't want him to direct a Bond film at all. Neither him nor his sidekick, that Olivier Megaton. Forgot his name almost.

Yes, Megaton too. The first time I heard him mentioned in filmmaking circles I thought, "That's not his real name." He sounds like a freaking transformer, for crying out loud!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

"You're waiting for a train. A train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you. But you can't know for sure. Yet it doesn't matter. Now, tell me why?"

Uh... Because I forgot my ticket for the train anyway?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 40,562
    Luc Besson and Olivier Megaton should never be compared. The former injects his worlds with creative characters and some fun, imaginative ideas, world-building, and some fun lore, and while his work (particularly the films he has directed) over the last few years might not be the best of the best, they don't come anywhere close to Megaton's filmography, which is akin to a pile of burnt, used diapers.

If you ever have a good idea for an action film that you subsequently want ruined with the worst editing humanly possible, just call up Megaton and he'll get you squared away.
    @Creasy47, didn't Megaton do Taken 2 or 3?
    He filmed both of them, that's why they were such trainwrecks and not even remotely close to the quality of the first movie. The sequels utilized some poor ideas (surely Besson's script-writing wasn't helping at this stage, however), on top of far-fetched nonsense, poor CGI that was uncalled for, and editing that, to the detractors, makes QoS look like it was shot in one take with no cuts.
    I thought Megaton was a Transformer.
  • RC7RC7
    'Limbo' is perhaps how people here feel, but re. Production I would use the term 'holding pattern'. Limbo implies that it may not happen at all. Which, of course, is untrue.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Big trees can be a big problem for houses.
    Sometimes they got to come down.
    OK, so once tree chopping is done with, Bab, Dan and Sam can hold mini Bond summit and get chop chopping on this new movie, hoping no-one of course,has any more yard issues.
    Our patience is endless.