No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    jake24 wrote: »
    The lack of film industry knowledge and those who say "Bond is dead" is rather frustrating, I can't argue with that. Luckily, we have members like yourself and ColonelSun to steer us on the right course, and to inject knowledge into the overall ignorance of how the production of a film actually operates.

However, I think you're getting yourself worked up over something that is only meant to be an innocent medium for discussing the franchise's future. I can understand how it can be frustrating for those like yourself with a certain expertise when it comes to the film industry. Maybe we need you around more often.

One can only hope.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @jake24, you created a beautiful thing here, none of this is on you. It just so happens that at times it gets corrupted through not fault of your own, or, for the most part, the majority of the forum.

I just hate to see it wasted for what it could be, a purpose it will fill when actual news comes out. Until then I and others are just trying to warn once again what a waste it is to repeat the same thoughts ad nauseam with no true knowledge evidenced in some posts.

I know I can come on strong, but this is stuff I take heavy issue with, especially when people suddenly make out Barbara and MGW to be hacks who have no idea what they're doing. Some don't know how unfathomably lucky we are to have Bond as a part of this kind of production family who refuse to resort to the same greedy or below the belt tactics that other studio affiliates could to push their product. They've treated Bond with a respect Cubby would be proud of, yet they're vilified as the Blofeld of the film industry. As I said, many clearly have no knowledge about how filmmaking operates and, even further, they fail to realize just how fortunate we are to have EON steering the ship HMS Bond.

I just find it all very interesting and quite pathetic how quick many have turned on EON, as if they know them or understand anything that they have to do to get a Bond film made. If they were in the writers' rooms, out in the field scouting and busting their asses to get location shooting permits, hitting the ground to hire cast members, stunt crews and effects teams, working to get the film in under the deadline while being buried in production notes coming on high from studios or facing issues with moving endless tons of equipment on location with a constant worry for what the weather is going to do and all the risks you take with high-stakes stunts...

Well, maybe they'd finally get just how bloody hard it would be to do the jobs that people like Barbara and Michael do, facing untold stress without complaints and sucking it up to give us a Bond movie. I just hear a bunch of spoiled children crying for bottled milk, to be frank. People should be happy we're still getting Bond films period, as the series has outlived itself several times when it should have died a quick death. It only survived because hardworking and adaptable folks at EON were able to face their challenges with cunning, learning their lessons where they made mistakes to keep the franchise alive any way they could manage.

But this is the respect they get? Ludicrous.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm hear you, man.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,116
    McDonald's is alive and well too but doesn't mean I have to eat there or like everything on the menu.

I greatly respect what EoN has accomplished and that we still have chance of continued life of Bond, but its still a business. Gotta make what the customer wants even though the customer is the occasional idiot to stay alive.

I don't apologize for my occasional gripe. I'm a lifelong fan... named after Connery no less.

This thread just needs news ...and patience. We've spent almost a page debating what should be included here. Its an odd thread
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    2,500 NEW comments in this thread, before I just entered it due to being tagged. My goodness!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Once again, & for emphasis, I have no problem personally with anyone venting & letting off steam anywhere here, even if repetitively.

None of us are really authorities on anything at the end of the day in my view. This is all just opinion & conjecture after all. An outlet to have some fun & bitch & moan if we so desire.

I personally look forward to real news when there is some, speculation when that's all that's available, & opinionated repetitive commentary in the absence of both.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Once again, & for emphasis, I have no problem personally with anyone venting & letting off steam anywhere here, even if repetitively.

None of us are really authorities on anything at the end of the day in my view. This is all just opinion & conjecture after all. An outlet to have some fun & bitch & moan if we so desire.

I personally look forward to real news when there is some, speculation when that's all that's available, & opinionated repetitive commentary in the absence of both.
    This aspect has gotten a little out of hand as of late, but I get it.

This aspect has gotten a little out of hand as of late, but I get it.
    One man's meat is another man's poison & all that. I'm sure it will all settle down once the EON powers have something concrete for us to discuss. In the meanwhile I'm enjoying everything I read everywhere.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,126
    It really isn't all of our faults for this thread being in the state either its in. none of us predicted not even one thing little thing to know they have plans for bond in future I'm of course excluding the obvious its mgm and Daniel Craig but mostly mgm they are the ones that are making us impatient and wanting us to more it's the fact that they can't at least give us something to look forward to and its Daniel fault for slowing this down mgm has got to eventually going to have to grow up and make a decision and just let Craig go he won't be bond forever make and plan a decision and move on and stop waiting around for Craig like Albert broccoli said "bond is bigger then one actor" as the same thing they did with Connery make a decision and move on you will lose fans if you don't look like your always doing something to look like your still invested in the franchise a great example is Star Wars right now they are always being consistent in keeping fans excited and yes I know Disney is bigger then mgm but still it doesn't matter mgm could do something even if it's little.
    Anyway I thing what we should from now on this thread is either wait for news or we could predict when we will hear our first real bond 25 news in 2017 or beyond hopefully not beyond but you never know the way things are going I say we all make our predictions on what will happen and when then wait and see who is right who ever gets their prediction right gets to either lead the conversation on that topic of news
    If that reward isn't good enough we could discuss what the reward should be.
    So let's discuss what's your prediction for bond 25 news and what should be the reward for the person that gets it right. That's just my 2 cents I just thought it's better then what we are discussing now so yeah.

LET THE BOND 25 NEWS PREDICTIONS AND A REWARD FOR THE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO GUESS RIGHT BEGIN!!!!

;)) :)>- :)] =D> ;) :D :-? B-) :-h \:D/
  • //LET THE BOND 25 NEWS PREDICTIONS AND A REWARD FOR THE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO GUESS RIGHT BEGIN!!!!//

Here's one, not terribly earth shaking: I think Sony will end up releasing Bond 25.

Warner Bros.'s parent company is being acquired by AT&T.

Paramount is a bit of mess after a long soap opera involving the family that controls its parent company.

I don't think Disney would mess around with negotiating a distribution deal for MGM. My personal guess is if Disney were interested in Bond, it would just try to buy everybody involved out.

Sony tried to launch a new franchise with the Ghost Busters. Didn't work, no sequel will be happening. In one of the hacked Sony documents, Amy Pascal said Sony's problem was its two best franchises, Bond and Spider-Man were actually owned by others. Sony subsequently cut a deal with Marvel. Sony's level of desperation may be sufficiently high so it holds it nose and agrees to another low-profit distribution deal for Bond.

That doesn't mean Universal or Fox might not try. I just think Sony is more desperate.

One major caveat: If MGM gets acquired or if Sony Corp. (the parent company in Japan) gets tired of owning a studio, then everything changes.
    From an outsider, but if the distribution deal included the DVD release then might be more enticing.

Sony didn't make much.
    //LET THE BOND 25 NEWS PREDICTIONS AND A REWARD FOR THE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO GUESS RIGHT BEGIN!!!!//

Here's one, not terribly earth shaking: I think Sony will end up releasing Bond 25.

Warner Bros.'s parent company is being acquired by AT&T.

Paramount is a bit of mess after a long soap opera involving the family that controls its parent company.

I don't think Disney would mess around with negotiating a distribution deal for MGM. My personal guess is if Disney were interested in Bond, it would just try to buy everybody involved out.

Sony tried to launch a new franchise with the Ghost Busters. Didn't work, no sequel will be happening. In one of the hacked Sony documents, Amy Pascal said Sony's problem was its two best franchises, Bond and Spider-Man were actually owned by others. Sony subsequently cut a deal with Marvel. Sony's level of desperation may be sufficiently high so it holds it nose and agrees to another low-profit distribution deal for Bond.

That doesn't mean Universal or Fox might not try. I just think Sony is more desperate.

One major caveat: If MGM gets acquired or if Sony Corp. (the parent company in Japan) gets tired of owning a studio, then everything changes.

Great start lets get this Bond ball rolling! B-) :D ;) :-bd =D>
    I agree with @AlexanderWaverly, and with his analysis & rationale.
  • RC7RC7
    I agree with @AlexanderWaverly, and with his analysis & rationale.

Me too.
    How long of a freeze does AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner allow? Assuming MGM has had their eyes on WB, I'd think this would explain what's preventing the gears from rolling (assuming they're not already in full-spin).
  • jake24 wrote: »
    How long of a freeze does AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner allow? Assuming MGM has had their eyes on WB, I'd think this would explain what's preventing the gears from rolling (assuming they're not already in full-spin).

When the deal was announced, AT&T indicated it would take about 12 months to complete (meaning late this calendar year).
    Thanks. The pieces are beginning to fall into place.

I must say, following the ongoing debacle at DC, would we even want WB? How much creative control do they have with their films?
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,622
    I agree with @AlexanderWaverly, and with his Hutchanalysis & rationale.
    Me too. Mr Waverly is a very reliable source.
    ===
    I predict new fillm will be released November 2019.
    Craig, Mendes and Waltz will all be back to pick up where Spectre left off.
    Rounding these two up (Othello & Sammy) is what's holding things up IMO, notwithstanding the diligent work being done by the Eon receptionist, cafeteria staff etc., that @Graves outlined.
    Swann will be written out, or at least she should be.
    Hinx will be back and we will have a new Bunt. Maybe a sexy one this time, but then does a sexy Bunt make any sense.
    Fleming gave these characters, names like Klebb and Bunt for a reason. They were real uggers, with ugger names.
    I don't care what the story is actually, as long as Ernst doesn't expire, so that Spectre and the man-with-cat ( hopefully with socks) might return for the glorious new Disney century of Bond, where new films are released every two years and where Bond is perrenially young, prime 00 fit, sworn and duty bound to battle the enemies of the realm, with his usual style and aplomb, and with James Bond Theme music, given energetic workout in each film

@007blofeld You wanted predictions. These are mine. Pretty solid I'd say.
    What's my prize? :)

Thanks. The pieces are beginning to fall into place.

I must say, following the ongoing debacle at DC, would we even want WB? How much creative control do they have with their films?

Anything is a step up from Sony.
    timmer wrote: »
    I agree with @AlexanderWaverly, and with his Hutchanalysis & rationale.
    Me too. Mr Waverly is a very reliable source.
    ===
    I predict new fillm will be released November 2019.
    Craig, Mendes and Waltz will all be back to pick up where Spectre left off.
    Rounding these two up (Othello & Sammy) is what's holding things up IMO, notwithstanding the diligent work being done by the Eon receptionist, cafeteria staff etc., that @Graves outlined.
    Swann will be written out, or at least she should be.
    Hinx will be back and we will have a new Bunt. Maybe a sexy one this time, but then does a sexy Bunt make any sense.
    Fleming gave these characters, names like Klebb and Bunt for a reason. They were real uggers, with ugger names.
    I don't care what the story is actually, as long as Ernst doesn't expire, so that Spectre and the man-with-cat ( hopefully with socks) might return for the glorious new Disney century of Bond, where new films are released every two years and where Bond is perrenially young, prime 00 fit, sworn and duty bound to battle the enemies of the realm, with his usual style and aplomb, and with James Bond Theme music, given energetic workout in each film

@007blofeld You wanted predictions. These are mine. Pretty solid I'd say.
    What's my prize? :)

Pretty good I agree with alot of what you said and your prize well we will have to wait and see if your predictions turn out true and we people on this tread were going to discuss or come up with a reward for getting it right
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Just make sure you all bookmark your own predictions, so that someone can claim 'I told you so' rights come the time.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Just make sure you all bookmark your own predictions, so that someone can claim 'I told you so' rights come the time.

Hahaha :-P. I had a lot of those cases myself back in 2011 with "Skyfall" :-P. And back in 2013 I was pretty certain "SPECTRE" would now return after the acquisition of Kevin McGlory's properties ;-).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    If I remember rightly @Gustav_Graves didn't you make some spot on predictions about Skyfall? I mean impressively accurate?
    The only prediction I'm willing to make is that Aidan Turner will play James Bond in Bond 25.
    The only prediction I'm willing to make is that Aidan Turner will play James Bond in Bond 25.

The fact that Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli are close to actually make a love baby together, makes me pretty certain that Daniel Craig will come back as 007 with a bang...in 2019 :-P.

Oh God not again....... 8-| 8-|
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

"I wouldn't go banco on that." ;)
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,400
    Not exactly news, but food for thought…

The synopsis for Nicholas Winding Refn’s upcoming ‘The Avenging Silence’ (which is being written by Purvis & Wade) has been released.

It pretty much sounds perfect, not only that but it’s clearly inspired by Ian Fleming’s YOLT novel. We all want a rue adaptation of that book and know the ending of Spectre alluded to that being a possibility.

Is there no way EON could get their hands on Refn and make this film Bond 25? The thought of Refn making a film in Japan with that neon glow and his atmospheric hellish feel is too enticing.

For those who haven’t seen it, I’ve posted it below –

1607041107-Nicolas-Winding-Refn-says-he-turned-down-James.jpg

A former European spy, accepts a confidential mission from a Japanese businessman exiled to France to take down the head of the most treacherous Yakuza boss in Japan.

The spy was one of the leading spies in Europe. An injury inflicted to his vocal cords during a failed mission six years ago left him mute, forcing him to leave his profession. Now, six years later, he is sought out and put on confidential assignment by a former Yakuza, now a retired Japanese businessman in exile in France, to track down and kill the head of the most dangerous Yakuza family in Japan.

Afraid of flying, our spy anonymously boards a cargo ship headed for Tokyo. An onboard explosion sinks the ship and our spy finds himself washed ashore on a life raft in southern Japan. As a mute, our spy must silently journey through Japan seeking 4 clues – symbolizing conquest, war, famine, and death – which will guide him to the unknown location of the Yakuza boss. Meanwhile, the Yakuza boss, known for his 2004 mass slaughter of Yakuza members who had turned against him, is believed to be plotting to reenter the Japanese underworld after living in his own surreptitious world in the mountains, void of all technology. This way of life becomes an obsession for the Yakuza boss. Rumors spread that he had committed suicide years ago but escaped prisoners from his hidden camp told stories of his plan for a comeback. Now rival Yakuza families suspect he is forming a master plan to return, a plan that unburies the most infamous story of Yakuza betrayal.

Our spy finds himself on an existential journey through Japan in search of pieces to the puzzle that will lead him to a confrontation with the ultimate Yakuza boss in a terrifying conclusion.

http://collider.com/nicolas-winding-refn-the-avenging-silence-synopsis/

• RC7RC7
    Not exactly news, but food for thought…

The synopsis for Nicholas Winding Refn’s upcoming ‘The Avenging Silence’ (which is being written by Purvis & Wade) has been released.

It pretty much sounds perfect, not only that but it’s clearly inspired by Ian Fleming’s YOLT novel. We all want a rue adaptation of that book and know the ending of Spectre alluded to that being a possibility.

Is there no way EON could get their hands on Refn and make this film Bond 25? The thought of Refn making a film in Japan with that neon glow and his atmospheric hellish feel is too enticing.

For those who haven’t seen it, I’ve posted it below –

1607041107-Nicolas-Winding-Refn-says-he-turned-down-James.jpg

A former European spy, accepts a confidential mission from a Japanese businessman exiled to France to take down the head of the most treacherous Yakuza boss in Japan.

The spy was one of the leading spies in Europe. An injury inflicted to his vocal cords during a failed mission six years ago left him mute, forcing him to leave his profession. Now, six years later, he is sought out and put on confidential assignment by a former Yakuza, now a retired Japanese businessman in exile in France, to track down and kill the head of the most dangerous Yakuza family in Japan.

Afraid of flying, our spy anonymously boards a cargo ship headed for Tokyo. An onboard explosion sinks the ship and our spy finds himself washed ashore on a life raft in southern Japan. As a mute, our spy must silently journey through Japan seeking 4 clues – symbolizing conquest, war, famine, and death – which will guide him to the unknown location of the Yakuza boss. Meanwhile, the Yakuza boss, known for his 2004 mass slaughter of Yakuza members who had turned against him, is believed to be plotting to reenter the Japanese underworld after living in his own surreptitious world in the mountains, void of all technology. This way of life becomes an obsession for the Yakuza boss. Rumors spread that he had committed suicide years ago but escaped prisoners from his hidden camp told stories of his plan for a comeback. Now rival Yakuza families suspect he is forming a master plan to return, a plan that unburies the most infamous story of Yakuza betrayal.

Our spy finds himself on an existential journey through Japan in search of pieces to the puzzle that will lead him to a confrontation with the ultimate Yakuza boss in a terrifying conclusion.

http://collider.com/nicolas-winding-refn-the-avenging-silence-synopsis/

This is the level they should be telling stories on imo. This excites me. Global surveillance falling into the wrong hands, well, doesn't.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 4,116
    Is this script based on a novel or other source material? Why haven't P&W been that possibly inspired with Bond?