No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Did anyone see the French/Dutch film "Elle"? By jolly, would Isabelle Huppert not be a wonderful choice to play an Irma Bunt/Fiona Volpe-like character in the next James Bond film? I always thought Tilda Swinton would be great in the role, but Huppert could be a great choice to play a bad Bond woman.

Ooowh, and on top of that, "Elle" won TWO Golden Globes yesterday ;-). Finally Dutch director Paul Verhoeven did not get snobbed. A well-deserved Globe for both Verhoeven and French actress Isabelle Huppert:

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2017 Posts: 7,981
    talos7 wrote: »
    For all we know she already has a release date in mind.

She doesn't set release dates. The studios, which also finance the movie, set the release date.

Ah, I know that, but that does not mean that she doesn't have a potential time table in mind.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The Best James Bond We Never Had - Hugh Grant
    gq.com/story/the-best-james-bond-we-never-had

GQ with a completey different take on this seemingly never ending debate.

After taking home a Golden Globe for 'The Night Manager' last night, I expect Tom Hiddlestons will get a bump in the betting odds.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The Best James Bond We Never Had - Hugh Grant
    Thank goodness!
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    After taking home a Golden Globe for 'The Night Manager' last night, I expect Tom Hiddlestons will get a bump in the betting odds.
    I believe his odds improved after Hiddleswift concluded last summer.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Sorry but... Hugh Grant? Best Bond we never had?

More like Victoria's Secret Agent.

Oddly enough though I do like the current day Hugh Grant. Liked him a lot as Waverly in UNCLE.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,115

She doesn't set release dates. The studios, which also finance the movie, set the release date.

Ah, I know that, but that does not mean that she doesn't have a potential time table in mind.

Her potential time table is usually later compared with that of the studios. That was certainly the case with SPECTRE. If we knew what a studio wanted, then you can add one year for her potential time table.

MGM, while in bankruptcy, wanted Bond movies to resume an every-other-year schedule.

Sony, in 2012, wanted Bond 24 to come out in 2014.

"Sometimes there are external pressures from a studio who want you to make it in a certain time frame or for their own benefit, and sometimes we’ve given into that," Broccoli said. "But following what we hope will be a tremendous success with 'Skyfall,' we have to try to keep the deadlines ***within our own time limits and not cave in to external pressures.****" (emphasis added)

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/14/entertainment/la-et-mn-skyfall-next-james-bond-movie-20121113

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Her potential time table is usually later compared with that of the studios. That was certainly the case with SPECTRE. If we knew what a studio wanted, then you can add one year for her potential time table.

MGM, while in bankruptcy, wanted Bond movies to resume an every-other-year schedule.

Sony, in 2012, wanted Bond 24 to come out in 2014.

"Sometimes there are external pressures from a studio who want you to make it in a certain time frame or for their own benefit, and sometimes we’ve given into that," Broccoli said. "But following what we hope will be a tremendous success with 'Skyfall,' we have to try to keep the deadlines ***within our own time limits and not cave in to external pressures.****" (emphasis added)

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov/14/entertainment/la-et-mn-skyfall-next-james-bond-movie-20121113

Wow, no wonder Spectre was a masterpiece!!
    Masterpiece? Again I'll ask, were there two versions of SPECTRE released? I missed the masterpiece. ;)
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Masterpiece? Again I'll ask, were there two versions of SPECTRE released? I missed the masterpiece. ;)
    I believe there is a slight tinge of sarcasm at play here in the earlier comment. At least I hope so.
    :D
    Knowing the illustrious Mr. Greene, i would say it's a sarcasm.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,622
    bondjames wrote: »
    I believe there is a slight tinge of sarcasm at play here in the earlier comment. At least I hope so.

He's relentless :D

I think the Spectre masterpiece edition, might be getting its own special Blu-ray release.
    It can help fill the pending 6 year gap between films . ;)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    timmer wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

He's relentless :D

I think the Spectre masterpiece edition, might be getting its own special Blu-ray release.
    It can help fill the pending 6 year gap between films . ;)

:)) :-j =))
    What does this confirmation statement mean on bond 25 limited? https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09577149
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    What does this confirmation statement mean on bond 25 limited? https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09577149
    Good catch!
    The film lives!!! As a registered numbered filed entity!
    Maybe 2017 will be a vast improvement on the last year in that some genuine news on BOND 25 will surface?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Nope 2024 for the earliest :))
    timmer wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Good catch!
    The film lives!!! As a registered numbered filed entity!
    it says first statement may 6 2017 due by may 20th 2017 on the entity I wonder what that's all about it updated from before it never said that before last time I saw it.
    It says that entity was incorporated in May 2015 (before SP was released) so it likely doesn't mean all that much other than they have an entity set up for it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I really feel like we would have heard something by now if they were aiming for a 2018 release. EON are sneaky, that's true, but no one is this sneaky. In order to hit 2018, they would pretty much have to be ready to shoot by the end of the year.

If 2018 is gone, then I hope to God they recast and start with a fully realized Bond again. Waiting another 4 years (starting in 2015 of course) for a fifth Craig film would just be so depressing. I really feel like the Craig arc was complete with Skyfall, with Bond going going from a undisciplined rookie to becoming the one man the country could rely on. It was a neat little trilogy of films that diverted from the usual course and told a more personal story of Bond's development and maturation. But that was enough for me. While I enjoyed SPECTRE, and especially some of the more traditional Bond elements they added in, nothing could take away from the fact that it was another Craig Bond film, and this time there didn't seem to be anything justifying it. It existed to justify it's own existence, rather than because there was still an fundamental question left unanswered. Stringing this out for another nearly half a decade just to keep a popular face in the tux is the opposite of a brave and bold choice. We need fresh blood.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I really feel like we would have heard something by now if they were aiming for a 2018 release. EON are sneaky, that's true, but no one is this sneaky. In order to hit 2018, they would pretty much have to be ready to shoot by the end of the year.

If 2018 is gone, then I hope to God they recast and start with a fully realized Bond again. Waiting another 4 years (starting in 2015 of course) for a fifth Craig film would just be so depressing. I really feel like the Craig arc was complete with Skyfall, with Bond going going from a undisciplined rookie to becoming the one man the country could rely on. It was a neat little trilogy of films that diverted from the usual course and told a more personal story of Bond's development and maturation. But that was enough for me. While I enjoyed SPECTRE, and especially some of the more traditional Bond elements they added in, nothing could take away from the fact that it was another Craig Bond film, and this time there didn't seem to be anything justifying it. It existed to justify it's own existence, rather than because there was still an fundamental question left unanswered. Stringing this out for another nearly half a decade just to keep a popular face in the tux is the opposite of a brave and bold choice. We need fresh blood.

Great post, Mendes. I agree with you.

Though technically let's just say they are working on a script as we speak. Maybe they could have a final script by late spring, get started on production details, have a script-lock mid October and a November press conference. Could be possible I suppose but we will have to see.

Great post, Mendes. I agree with you.

Though technically let's just say they are working on a script as we speak. Maybe they could have a final script by late spring, get started on production details, have a script-lock mid October and a November press conference. Could be possible I suppose but we will have to see.

I don't think so because we would have something from MGM and casting rumors directors you name first and for most they don't even have anyone to release the film they are not this sneaky and Craig would be involved to I just don't see 2018 happening if it were to happen something major were to happen in 2016 and nothing did now we wait on 2017 to see if something happens which indeed it will do to competitive market fan demand passing of time Craig getting older it's 2019 at the latest or if not they will recast
  • At this point, I think the best option is to tell ourselves that EON was badly burned by the Sony hacks, and are keeping everything tightly under wraps. There's at least some hope in that.

The alternative is that it's 2017 and EON are twiddling their thumbs, while franchises all around them surge forward. It's a bit too depressing, that.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Things are of course happening backstage without our knowledge. EON and MGM are presumably running a tight ship, and believe it or not. Everything does not leak out to public knowledge.
    2018 is still feasible, so just because you don't know anything doesn't mean that "Babs is lazy" or whatever tripe that I have been reading on the last 10+ pages.

The film industry is bloody infuriating, yes. But they know what they are doing when they handle a massive corporation like Bond. Things are just more unclear this time around.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,110
    It's the fact that there's still have no word on a distributor that makes me uneasy. That seems like it could become a pretty serious spanner in the works if some kind of stalemate occurs.
  • RC7RC7
    Guys, go and watch a Bond film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote: »
    Guys, go and watch a Bond film.

@RC7, it's far more fun to repeat the same goddamn conversations in this thread daily. Don't you agree? 8-X
  • Seen 'em all. When's the new one coming out? ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The sad thing is, many don't even respect new Bond films anymore. Up to their release people always talk about what's next, what's after it, not what is, and the instant gratification culture makes people demand the next Bond film the second they get out of the last one. If there's such a distinct lack of patience inherent in some over a simple film I can only wonder how ineffectively they deal with life problems of actual importance that demand a more mature handling of delays.

Of course I will concede that we don't have 24 films to go back to, re-watch and re-analyze to appreciate all over again while we wait for another one. Oh, wait...
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I'm with Brady. I mean, there's nothing. Leave the thread alone and just check in whenever actual news comes in. There's no move on Eon's part and I understand the little credit their production log puts on interests too many people, but seriously, half the comments on this thread is whether Eon will release the film in the next three years, or Craig coming back or not (plus some reasonings on the actor's behalf from several users here), what should happen and whatnot, we heard them all. Leave it alone, man. If you want what should be, and what shouldn't be, go write a fan fiction. I don't see a harm in that. I used to do that myself. Some other comments dissing Spectre, while some other minor ones bringing up the past and what Cubby would've done, etc, just let it go. If the news comes to surface, we'll gather up in the arena and converse in our very own oval offices. I'm just saying this because you're wasting your time and life is too short for that. Go and do something fun. When something happens, we'll know.