No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Could Craig gave meant tired regarding trying to get B25 as opposed to just tired? SP obviously had a turbulent path that didn't let up after the film released.

More so than SF I believe.

Or maybe he meant everyone is just tired of Bond? Similar to eating the same high school cafeteria lunch everyday and the only meal served was an astonishingly nasty Salisbury steak with boxed mashed potatoes. One might get tired of that fairly quick.

:-& ...I shouldn't read posts like that so near lunch time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @doubleoego, I get your point about Deadpool and Suicide Squad. These were exceptions in a way, because they both did very good US business.

My understanding is that Sony expected the soft US business for Inferno and so made the film for only a $75m production budget, which is half Angels and Demons. So they are already in the black.

The industry is definitely changing though, and I can see more tie-ups with Chinese studios and distributors (isn't Alibaba in the game?) to break into that market and get round any restrictions.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think the only solution is to scale back. If the budget isn't 245 million or whatever, then they don't have to pander to certain markets just to make back their money. Focus on a tight script, less reliant on the action, and keep the budget around 150 million. Any Bond film would make a healthy profit in this situation, and that is the number that counts after all. Who cares if the overall gross is slightly less?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Could Craig gave meant tired regarding trying to get B25 as opposed to just tired? SP obviously had a turbulent path that didn't let up after the film released.

More so than SF I believe.

Or maybe he meant everyone is just tired of Bond? Similar to eating the same high school cafeteria lunch everyday and the only meal served was an astonishingly nasty Salisbury steak with boxed mashed potatoes. One might get tired of that fairly quick.

:-& ...I shouldn't read posts like that so near lunch time.

Lol. I'd hate to think Dan meant everyone is sick of Bond, rather they are just currently burned out and lacking in Cubby's (as well as 007's) stamina.
    I don't think he did @ToTheRight but I do think that EoN might be burned out artistically right now with Bond. And I don't mean that as derogatory against EoN.
    I don't think he did @ToTheRight but I do think that EoN might be burned out artistically right now with Bond. And I don't mean that as derogatory against EoN.

It would be very tough to be in Eon's position artistically and have to decide what approach to take next with the series. They had made some bold choices in the Craig era. What next?
    I have a hunch work is being done on it, though as we speak. During the entire quiet period in 2010, they were mounting what would eventually become Skyfall, even though their hands were tied and the series put on indefinite hold.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If Spectre is the last film for a long time, at least it's an incredibly great "last" film.

It'll keep me busy for years to come. Even its ending is perfect if there is a long hiatus.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SP's ending does at the very least set up Bond for a rest, where he and Madeleine go who knows where for an unspecified amount of time. By the time Bond 25 with Craig would come around, Bond would have been in retirement for a while.
    SP's ending does at the very least set up Bond for a rest, where he and Madeleine go who knows where for an unspecified amount of time. By the time Bond 25 with Craig would come around, Bond would have been in retirement for a while.

Then Craig could come out of retirement at the age of 53 in a shot for shot remake of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    @doubleoego, I get your point about Deadpool and Suicide Squad. These were exceptions in a way, because they both did very good US business.

My understanding is that Sony expected the soft US business for Inferno and so made the film for only a $75m production budget, which is half Angels and Demons. So they are already in the black.

The industry is definitely changing though, and I can see more tie-ups with Chinese studios and distributors (isn't Alibaba in the game?) to break into that market and get round any restrictions.

With the plethora of bombs Sony's incurred it was at least wise of them to really scale back the budget for Inferno but then at the same time, Inferno's script was dreadful. Hollywood has for the longest time gotten away with making crappy movies but we now live in an age where the majority of cinematic movies are tentpoles/blockbusters being released with such frequency that films are canibalising each other at BO. Audiences aren't going to see them all and this is indeed a huge issue for the domestic market; which is why it would be fundimentally judicious of studios to at least and for starters have their producers actually do their jobs competently and greenlight films with a decent and filmable script. Really give audiences an incentive to see a movie.
    Just look at what Rothman is doing over at Sony, he's doing exactly what he was doing when he was over at Fox; running everything into the ground. Apart from bad moms and sausage party Sony's output in general has been a disaster.

However, you're bang on the money with Chinese partnerships. You have Alibaba and Wanda soon to be major players not to mention the conspicuous Chinese favouritism that's been proliferating in recent years.
    The way things are going in the entertainment industry, if MGM ever goes public, it will find itself snapped up on the open market by a larger studio. So all of this convoluted meandering may ultimately result in someone like Time Warner buying them out anyway. Consolidation is the name of the game in the industry these days, as corporates try to buy up the entire chain, from artistic content to distribution channels.

Having said that, it looks like the Justice Dept. and the FCC will throw up a lot of roadblocks to the proposed ATT/Time Warner merger, and some notable politicians are against it, so it may never happen.

On a related note, I was reading recently that Inferno (the latest Dan Brown adaptation starring Tom Hanks) has already made back its budget and then some overseas, but has bombed in the US. The article speculated that more studios will be looking at options to achieve big results in foreign markets, because the domestic market is becoming quite difficult to predict, and big tentpole franchises are sometimes under performing relative to expectations here (it's increasingly fickle). This could have implications for the next Bond film (perhaps more China or India sequences/filming etc.).

Tell me about it. Look at how you guys stayed away in droves from LTK! And yet it did well everywhere else. Had LTK come out today it probably would have been a massive commercial success, as the non US markets are now relatively much more important.
    Getafix wrote: »
    The way things are going in the entertainment industry, if MGM ever goes public, it will find itself snapped up on the open market by a larger studio. So all of this convoluted meandering may ultimately result in someone like Time Warner buying them out anyway. Consolidation is the name of the game in the industry these days, as corporates try to buy up the entire chain, from artistic content to distribution channels.

Having said that, it looks like the Justice Dept. and the FCC will throw up a lot of roadblocks to the proposed ATT/Time Warner merger, and some notable politicians are against it, so it may never happen.

On a related note, I was reading recently that Inferno (the latest Dan Brown adaptation starring Tom Hanks) has already made back its budget and then some overseas, but has bombed in the US. The article speculated that more studios will be looking at options to achieve big results in foreign markets, because the domestic market is becoming quite difficult to predict, and big tentpole franchises are sometimes under performing relative to expectations here (it's increasingly fickle). This could have implications for the next Bond film (perhaps more China or India sequences/filming etc.).

Tell me about it. Look at how you guys stayed away in droves from LTK! And yet it did well everywhere else. Had LTK come out today it probably would have been a massive commercial success, as the non US markets are now relatively much more important.

Well despite Dalton LTK is just too cheaply made, poorly directed and acted to have made it in NA either then and now. Adding such a lackluster ad campaign.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    The best there starting at 4 November 2016 production of Bond 25 and then start filming September 2017 for May 2018 in mind with possible delay to November 2018.

There have more then 2 years from now... and with some countrys it take more then a year before there can start like China and Skyfall.
  • RC7RC7

Well despite Dalton LTK is just too cheaply made, poorly directed and acted to have made it in NA either then and now. Adding such a lackluster ad campaign.

Basically agree with you. I like it as a Bond fan, but in the cold light of day it's not one for the masses. It doesn't stand up against films like Die Hard.
  • peterpeter Toronto

(wobbly voice): stelllla!
    RC7 wrote: »

Basically agree with you. I like it as a Bond fan, but in the cold light of day it's not one for the masses. It doesn't stand up against films like Die Hard.

Well I like LTK liked it then but it went head to head with Lethal Weapon 2 which was basically the same story or at least very similar themes.

I was and am a big fan of Dalton but he didn't get the direction he needed to make it ...at least in NA.

No one here knew how to take him. We didn't see the ex SAS like guy we just saw a "stiff ass Brit". No offense meant by that.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,425
    RC7 wrote: »

Well I like LTK liked it then but it went head to head with Lethal Weapon 2 which was basically the same story or at least very similar themes.

I was and am a big fan of Dalton but he didn't get the direction he needed to make it ...at least in NA.

No one here knew how to take him. We didn't see the ex SAS like guy we just saw a "stiff ass Brit". No offense meant by that.

Yes. I actually think Glen is underrated as a Bond director but perhaps there's some truth in your comments. Having said that, there's a lot that works in both Dalton films and had there been another director at the helm there would have been no guarantee the film was better.

In a funny way, although perhaps not an actor's director, Glen knew at least how to let the dramatic moments breathe. His films are constructed and paced in a very reassuring and (IMO) enjoyable way.

So on balance I'd say Dalton wasn't too badly served by Glen. Glen regards LTK as his favourite Bond film I think, so he was clearly happy with it.

I actually think the actor who really suffered from never getting proper direction was Brosnan. Moore and Dalton knew what they were doing sufficiently to make the most of whatever director they were working with, and they both had their unique takes on the character. Brosnan, perhaps a bit like the young Connery, really needed moulding into the role - something that never really happened.

Regarding the stiff ass Brit, I get where your coming from, but surely Dalton's interpretation is one of the more openly emotional and vulnerable takes on the character. We see him hurting, caring, bleeding.
    So LTK is Bond 25?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    So LTK is Bond 25?
    Seems so. :-?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    So LTK is Bond 25?
    Seems so. :-?

I would not mind that.
    Awesome idea. Bring back Dalton too!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm a strong supporter of Turner as the next Bond; if it's Bond 25 then he would be 34, possibly 35 when filming begins. If Craig does another we're looking at him being 37/38.
    Rather than just wandering aimlessly from film to film, I would like to see a team brought in that maps a 5 film arc, that could include stand alone stories, for the next 007. Turner is the perfect age for this.

I'm not keen. He lacks the star quality and charisma required for Bond.
    Chris Vance. My choice.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 9,773
    More upsetting news Fassbender feels he is far too old to be 007 and feels they should reboot again

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/michael-fassbender

Though reading his idea (while many will complain about it no doubt) I got a weird Carte Blanche vibe from it....

I still maintain I would be ok with the video Games and films being separate provided we could get an actor of Hardy or Fassbender caliber for the video games as well as obviously that caliber for the films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,110
    I agree that Turner is the perfect age for Bond now. If they were to release Bond 25 in Nov 2019, he'd be 35 during shooting. That's around the age of the Fleming character, and it would mean that he could feasible play the character a minimum of 5 times if needed.

I think it really depends on whether EON want to scale back, and return to the Fleming or whether they are interesting in keeping the current continuity going at any cost. There's on doubt that a YOLT style topper to the Craig era, with all the current cast returning would cost at least 200 million to produce, probably more. It could be quite a risk, especially with a new director at the helm.

The other option is that EON cuts their losses, and eject themselves out of the Craig era. They could elect to scale back production, refocus on the basics of a Bond story with a fresh start, and a new Bond. If they do decide this option, then Turner is a safe bet, at least of the options we have seen thrown around so far. He has clear star quality, and isn't yet attached to any major franchises. Another benefit of restarting is that we might see Campbell return to complete the trilogy, before he becomes too old to do so.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    There's on doubt that a YOLT style topper to the Craig era, with all the current cast returning would cost at least 200 million to produce, probably more. It could be quite a risk, especially with a new director at the helm.

The other option is that EON cuts their losses, and eject themselves out of the Craig era. They could elect to scale back production, refocus on the basics of a Bond story with a fresh start, and a new Bond. If they do decide this option, then Turner is a safe bet, at least of the options we have seen thrown around so far. He has clear star quality, and isn't yet attached to any major franchises. Another benefit of restarting is that we might see Campbell return to complete the trilogy, before he becomes too old to do so.

Nah, Craig is money in the bank, like Connery. Count on him for Bond 25. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mendes returned as some sort of advisory producer. BB and MGW are keeping him close as well.

I don't know who this Turner chap is.
  • Fassbender is clearly the best candidate for the job.

It’s funny that for someone who is ruling himself out, he confesses that he’s thought about the part a lot. He even has his own pitch prepared!

Regardless of Fassy’s own take on how the material should move forward, ultimately, it isn’t him who gets to decide. I think it’s inevitable that EON will choose to continue down the path they have established with SF and SP. So the next Bond will exist within the same timeframe as Craig’s interpretation; so he will interact with Harris, Fiennes and Whishaw. In that instance, Fassbender is more than appropriate.

Also more interestingly, it’s been announced that two Spectre alum will be working on a West End play next year. Sam Mendes and Jez Butterworth are doing a new original piece together; maybe they’ll even spend a moment discussing Bond 25? Personally, I think Jez was only bought on to tidy up the script of SP, he was there to execute a job opposed to bring any actual individual flair or creativity. He was hired late in the process just to iron out the story and make the thing a little more functional.

image.jpg
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37822837

Butterworth has a huge degree of clout in the London theatre world. I’d love to see him come in and actually write his own Bond film, opposed to just doctor an existing script.

Butterworth and Mendes reteam?
    My big fear is bond 25 will see everyone essentially return

Sony distributes Purvis Wade and Butterworth write the script Newman scores Mendes Directs Craig is back etc
    Chris Vance. My choice.

I bloody love Transporter The Series :D
    Chris Vance. My choice.

I bloody love Transporter The Series :D
    That makes two of us, @BondJasonBond006. :D

Also, check him out in the second episode of Hawaii Five-O's Season 7.

3o6Zt1YTwDiy3WjBpS.gif