No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    This may or may not be true, perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I think BB and DC are trying just a little bit too hard to "try" and make a really good Bond film. I think that's what's draining them the most. Think back in the Connery days, I don't doubt it was difficult but I would think CB and Connery had a more relaxed approach to the films. And with this approach we got Dr. No, FRWL, GF, etc and movies every 1-2 years.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @dominicgreene: far more competition for the spy franchise in the present vs back in the 60s. BB is under a great deal of pressure to appeal to modern audiences, hopefully bringing in more fans, while also satisfying the older fans; competing and beating opponents (MI, TMFU, Bourne), while delivering something that is still unique to this franchise.

What a headache. I don't envy her position.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    In my opinion Craig's greatest performance was QoS because that was a film that he carried from start to finish. Without his intensity it would have collapsed on itself.

CR & SF were exceptionally well crafted films, on par with the legendary output from the 60's and with equally excellent supporting performances.
    Keeping Craig just seems like protraction to me. While a lot of people have issues with the way SPECTRE ended, perhaps it's better to let sleeping dogs lie. No one seems to be even considering the possibility that a 5th Craig film might cause more problems than it fixes. I think after a certain point the creative energy and drive that a certain actor brings to the table begins to wain and the series loses impetus.

agreed
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,727
    For all this talk of finding a sixth 007 to take the series in a new direction or ‘revive it‘ (seems a non-issue to me, the Bond franchise is financially & popularly a strong as ever, in far better condition than when Brosnan had his last hurrah) I really don’t see replacing Craig as the main concern, although granted now would be a suitable point at which to do so seen as how SP ended.

The main problem is the current tired & worn creative team, led by Barbara Broccoli. I have said it before but I will repeat myself – Babs does not have the judgment or creative nous needed to further add quality to the series. Apart from insisting on DC in 2005 I fail to see where her input has truly added value to the series. She consistently makes poor calls on the creative side of things and does not hire writers with sufficient quality.

Babs should just run the BUSINESS side of things, which I’m certain she is very good at, and leave the creative decisions to others.
    Keeping Craig just seems like protraction to me. While a lot of people have issues with the way SPECTRE ended, perhaps it's better to let sleeping dogs lie. No one seems to be even considering the possibility that a 5th Craig film might cause more problems than it fixes. I think after a certain point the creative energy and drive that a certain actor brings to the table begins to wain and the series loses impetus.

So l assume that you not wanting Craig back for a fifth has nothing to do with your unhealthy obsession with Aidan Turner right?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @acehole, that's the thing, isn't it, about filmmaking? It's an industry that is both commerce and art/craft. The two are linked-- can't have one without the other. Especially in a fifty-plus year old franchise.

BB and her team have to assess the market: what the competitors are doing that works or doesn't; what are the unique attributes of 007 that have always been and still work in the modern context; what has the franchise done in the past that was "gold", but now it quite dated when held to the light of the modern world (cheesy one-liners that seemingly were invented by Bond, I think, should have died a quiet death by Dalton's tenure).

In film, commerce and art are linked (sometimes in an out of balance way, but nonetheless...)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »

So l assume that you not wanting Craig back for a fifth has nothing to do with your unhealthy obsession with Aidan Turner right?

"That's a 'Bingo!'"
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »
    The main problem is the current tired & worn creative team, led by Barbara Broccoli. I have said it before but I will repeat myself – Babs does not have the judgment or creative nous needed to further of quality to the series. Apart from insisting on DC in 2005 I fail to see where her input has truly added value to the series. She constantly makes poor calls on the creative side of things and does not hire writers with sufficient quality.

Babs should just run the BUSINESS side of things, which I’m certain she is very good at, and leave the creative decisions to others.
    I tend to agree with you. There appears to be far more of a director stamp on things than in the past. This suggests that the next director is just as (if not more) important than the next actor, at least in terms of the approach they take and type of film they give us.
    So I can guess/bet they are doing things behind the scenes with Guy Ritchie possibly not working out (unless he is doing the live action lion king before bond 25 making a 2019 release almost guarenteed sadly) who do you honk night direct bond 25 I have a feeling they have a general idea in terms of story
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    bondjames wrote: »
    The main problem is the current tired & worn creative team, led by Barbara Broccoli. I have said it before but I will repeat myself – Babs does not have the judgment or creative nous needed to further of quality to the series. Apart from insisting on DC in 2005 I fail to see where her input has truly added value to the series. She constantly makes poor calls on the creative side of things and does not hire writers with sufficient quality.

I tend to agree with you. There appears to be far more of a director stamp on things than in the past. This suggests that the next director is just as (if not more) important than the next actor, at least in terms of the approach they take and type of film they give us.

Good point. Forster & Mendes have both had a massive influence on the creative direction of the last three films, and while that may seem obvious (that’s why they’re called ‘directors’…), the Bond franchise is known for its workman like directors who follow the tone & vision of the producers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,087
    So I can guess/bet they are doing things behind the scenes with Guy Ritchie possibly not working out (unless he is doing the live action lion king before bond 25 making a 2019 release almost guarenteed sadly) who do you honk night direct bond 25 I have a feeling they have a general idea in terms of story

Martin Campbell. He has an instinct when it comes to suspense, action and pacing not seen in Bond since the sixties. His Bond films are always expertly measured and balanced, nailing the formula while doing more than just retread the old tropes. They always feel fresh, vibrant and modern whilst fully respectful to the franchises history and adding to the legacy. Plus they are always perfectly pitched when it comes to the tone.
    I still don't get why the producers haven't reached out to Pierre Morrel he directed the best revenge film since what Licence to Kill in 1989? And turned a one note plot into an amazing film. And since revenge is likely the motivation in Bond 25 then why not have Morrel direct and while we are at it why not title the film Risico
  • peterpeter Toronto

Good point. Forster & Mendes have both had a massive influence on the creative direction of the last three films, and while that may seem obvious (that’s why they’re called ‘directors’…), the Bond franchise is known for its workman like directors who follow the tone & vision of the producers.

But @acehole, didn't you jut suggest you wanted less producer (BB) interference, and new creatives?

I'm not sure the model for the 007 franchise can replicate what went before it in the 60-80s. Film is a directors medium, even moreso now.

There are the outliers like Disney/Marvel (and that's why, in the recent past, some directors who were hired for projects within these franchises bailed), but most directors do want to put their stamp on something that has their name attached to it. Yes, the producers play a role, but it's the director that should execute. I think, to varying degrees, this has worked for the past three films.

I think the target should be hiring the right writers to execute a great blue print for a director to launch from.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883

Martin Campbell. He has an instinct when it comes to suspense, action and pacing not seen in Bond since the sixties. His Bond films are always expertly measured and balanced, nailing the formula while doing more than just retread the old tropes. They always feel fresh, vibrant and modern whilst fully respectful to the franchises history and adding to the legacy. Plus they are always perfectly pitched when it comes to the tone.
    We're entirely on the same page. CR seems like a true Bond film to me. I distinctly recall thinking that in the theatre in 2006. Despite very little of the tropes, it just glitters with Bondian essence. While many here say SP is the first true Craig Bond film, I disagree - to me SP is trying very hard to be a Bond film, but it's like badly applied and garish makeup to my eyes, whereas CR radiates from within.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 5,767
    For all this talk of finding a sixth 007 to take the series in a new direction or ‘revive it‘ (seems a non-issue to me, the Bond franchise is financially & popularly a strong as ever, in far better condition than when Brosnan had his last hurrah) I really don’t see replacing Craig as the main concern, although granted now would be a suitable point at which to do so seen as how SP ended.

The main problem is the current tired & worn creative team, led by Barbara Broccoli. I have said it before but I will repeat myself – Babs does not have the judgment or creative nous needed to further add quality to the series. Apart from insisting on DC in 2005 I fail to see where her input has truly added value to the series. She consistently makes poor calls on the creative side of things and does not hire writers with sufficient quality.

No, it´s the other way round. The problem is that Broccoli and Wilson let directors do whatever they want, and don´t give them a clear frame to work within. That´s why they among other things needed Campbell twice to introduce a new Bond actor. No doubt, good choice, he made two fantastic films, but Campbell is also responsible for re-introducing the DB5 and for Bond falling faster than a propelled plane, the latter being the start of a whole new tradition where mayhem outshined everything else.

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    While many here say SP is the first true Craig Bond film, I disagree - to me SP is trying very hard to be a Bond film, but it's like badly applied and garish makeup to my eyes, whereas CR radiates from within.
    I totally agree - sums up pretty much why SP did not work that good for me - even it had wonderful ingredients.

I'm done with Barbara Broccoli. Sadly she appears to have little interest in producing bond movies. The gaps between films lately have ruined the craig era. Bond has never her primary subject of attention. She should hand it off to someone willing to run a competent production resulting in films every 2-3 years.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I'm done with Barbara Broccoli. Sadly she appears to have little interest in producing bond movies. The gaps between films lately have ruined the craig era. Bond has never her primary subject of attention. She should hand it off to someone willing to run a competent production resulting in films every 2-3 years.

Do you know anyone who works for EoN? Have they discussed the machinations behind the scheme of ruining the Craig era because of the long gaps?

If Bond isn't BB's primary interest, I'm just wondering if you could tell me how many other projects, outside of Bond, that she's produced, in the past ten years. Also, as a film producer, are you saying that she's not allowed to be involved in other projects?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's ridiculous. I never knew some people on these boards know Broccoli personally.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I understand the criticism on BB.
    Personally I don't trust her completely anymore. No matter if I find SP to be a perfect movie experience, there have been too many issues since 2006, that would have never occurred had Cubby lived on.
    The Craig era would have looked very different with Cubby at the helm. Way better to be clear.

Sure, BB can do whatever she wants, but if she is not able or willing anymore to produce Bond films on a regular basis and is waiting for directors or actors and let's directors do whatever they want then she should just let it go.
    I'm sure there are more than a few capable producers out there that would continue Cubby's legacy in a proper manner.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    My opinion but I think we are being a bit harsh on BB. I agree with @bondjasonbond006 as far as questioning some of EoN's decisions.

But I agree or respect EoN for pursuing other non Bond projects. I do want Bond films to keep going on at least a three year cycle not some crazy Indiana Jones timetable but right now the whole studio thing isn't helping. Remember from MGW and Gregg they both have the impression they were ready to get back in there. It wasn't until the distribution options started cooling off I guess that we started hearing nothing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjason, what other missteps has BB made in the past ten years? Considering MGW is her partner, does he suffer the same criticism? I also doubt DC would have been hired if CB were still with us.

I'm not sure if BB was responsible for the gap between QoS and SF, and the three year gap leading to SP seems to be the normal wait time for most films today (outside of FF, and; Marvel is a huge operation that has a team of writers working on different projects simultaneously). BB wanted to wait for her director that delivered her a billion dollar grossing film. I think most people, in her shoes, would have wanted to attempt to capture lighting in a bottle again. She took in a risk in waiting for Mendes, to mixed results.

But I'm interested, outside of these aggravations, where else has she put her foot into it, over the past ten years? And why does she suffer the brunt of criticism, and not Wilson?
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    The argument regarding "If Cubby was still alive" is a bit ridiculous. He died 20 years ago aged 87, and would have been 106 years last year. Plus, he handed over the producer's chair to BB and MGW. The breaking of the 2-3-year-cycle is manily not BB's fault, it was MGM getting into financial trouble several times, which put the productions to a halt.
    I watched SP last night, and I still don't like the Blofeld-Oberhauser-step-brother thing, because I think it is unnecessary and awkward. But they did it, and now we have to live with it. Oh yeah, in a German Bond forum people wrote, that Danjaq had registered SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED. I hope, this is a hoax, and we don't get this as the next movie's title...
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 832
    peter wrote: »

Do you know anyone who works for EoN? Have they discussed the machinations behind the scheme of ruining the Craig era because of the long gaps?

If Bond isn't BB's primary interest, I'm just wondering if you could tell me how many other projects, outside of Bond, that she's produced, in the past ten years. Also, as a film producer, are you saying that she's not allowed to be involved in other projects?

Not at all. Just that if she's unwilling to give bond the treatment it deserves, that the rights should be handed off. Granted I don't know many details about the films development or how the industry has changed since cubby left, nor do I claim to know. What I do know is that during cubby's era the films were released consistently. To a large extent, the buck stops at the producers. I think that, for the benefit of the series, fans should hold barbara accountable for the current standstill.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    [
    No, it´s the other way round. The problem is that Broccoli and Wilson let directors do whatever they want, and don´t give them a clear frame to work within. That´s why they among other things needed Campbell twice to introduce a new Bond actor. No doubt, good choice, he made two fantastic films, but Campbell is also responsible for re-introducing the DB5 and for Bond falling faster than a propelled plane, the latter being the start of a whole new tradition where mayhem outshined everything else.

[/quote]

Agreed, the problems is they've given the directors too much freedom, which is why a Mendes personal art project with SF instead of a Bond movie. That said, the formula should remain flexible. Every Bond should not be cookie-cutter, of course.

• peterpeter Toronto
    @Ottofuse, Cubby had a three year stall between TMWTGG and TSWLM, and a six year gap between LTK and GE.

I don't know how any of us can assess BB's commitment to the franchise, or lack thereof, when we're not in the centre of the making of these films.

I think BB is like 100% of producers out there: she sets out to make the best film that she can, with her team. Like others before her (including her father), or other producers after her, she's had successes and had some misfires. But to question her integrity or that she's not treating the franchise with the respect it deserves is being quite presumptuous.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 154
    peter wrote: »
    @acehole, that's the thing, isn't it, about filmmaking? It's an industry that is both commerce and art/craft. The two are linked-- can't have one without the other. Especially in a fifty-plus year old franchise.

BB and her team have to assess the market: what the competitors are doing that works or doesn't; what are the unique attributes of 007 that have always been and still work in the modern context; what has the franchise done in the past that was "gold", but now it quite dated when held to the light of the modern world (cheesy one-liners that seemingly were invented by Bond, I think, should have died a quiet death by Dalton's tenure).

In film, commerce and art are linked (sometimes in an out of balance way, but nonetheless...)

Agreed, which is not to say that truly witty and ironic one-liners should ever go away. Craig's "considerably" one-liner opening CR was brilliant.

The one-liners should evolve away though, from the cheese, the school-boy sexual innuendo & the crass disregard for a life following a human death, a la "bon apetite" in YOLT.

Actually, those kind of one-lines should have been allowed to die with the Moore era, where they were the best fit. Dalton, as much as I loved him in the role, couldn't deliver those kind of one-liners. He shouldn't have been forced to do them. His witty dialogue showed better in the more intense scenes, such as his initial interrogation by Sanchez. That kind of wit suit the tone of the movie better anyway.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think that Dalton did fine with the one-liners. "Salt corrosion" being my favourite. They toned them down for Dalton, which i'm glad for, as when there is one every 30 seconds, it becomes a bit much.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dalton didn't have much of one-liners in LTK, though. If there were, they were more of a daring threat or locking horns with Sanchez or any other antagonist.