No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @bondjames

Agree, both kinds of dialogue work. To compare them is rather difficult.
    I will, though, always prefer the kind of dialogue that DAF offers over the Craig-era stuff.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @bondjames

Agree, both kinds of dialogue work. To compare them is rather difficult.
    I will, though, always prefer the kind of dialogue that DAF offers over the Craig-era stuff.
    I agree @BondJasonBond006, which is why the playful banter between Craig and Green in the earlier half of CR is my favourite from the Craig era.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,598
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    The complete dialogue with Tiffany at her apartment is priceless, better than all 4 Craig movies combined dialogue wise.

Bond: Is Mr Case not at home?
    Tiffany: There is no Mr Case. The T is for Tiffany.
    Bond: Tiffany Case? Definitely distinctive.
    Tiffany: I was born there, on the first floor, while my mother was looking for a wedding ring.
    Bond: I'm glad for your sake it wasn't Van Cleef and Arpels.

Better than "I'm sorry... that last hand nearly killed me", "Is this what you really want? Living in the shadows, hunting, being hunted, always alone?", "When one is young it seems very easy to distinguish between right and wrong [...]" (this one comes straight from Fleming), "I wish I could set you free, but your prison is in there", "You're a kite dancing in a hurricane", "Everything you've ever stood for, everything you believed in, a ruin", "A grand old war ship, being ignominiously hauled away for scrap", "You do what I do long enough, there won't be any soul left to salvage" and so on?

Say what you want, but Daniel Craig era featured beautiful dialogues, definitely among the best in the series.
    I don´t disagree about the quality of the dialogue in Craig´s films, but the way it is used in DAF sprinkles with life. That is an art that was very much ignored after Cubby´s death, with the exception of CR perhaps, but only to degree.

Do you mean the way the dialogue is delivered?

@Bounine, I mean the effect it has on me as a viewer.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The complete dialogue with Tiffany at her apartment is priceless, better than all 4 Craig movies combined dialogue wise.

Tiffany: I was born there, on the first floor, while my mother was looking for a wedding ring.

Better than "I'm sorry... that last hand nearly killed me", "Is this what you really want? Living in the shadows, hunting, being hunted, always alone?", "When one is young it seems very easy to distinguish between right and wrong [...]" (this one comes straight from Fleming), "I wish I could set you free, but your prison is in there", "You're a kite dancing in a hurricane", "Everything you've ever stood for, everything you believed in, a ruin", "A grand old war ship, being ignominiously hauled away for scrap", "You do what I do long enough, there won't be any soul left to salvage" and so on?

Say what you want, but Daniel Craig era featured beautiful dialogues, definitely among the best in the series.

I think people are confusing witty one liner type dialogue with actual good film dialogue.

The dialogue between Vesper and Bond on the train is two human beings sizing each other up, flirting and is natural.
    (Aside from the Omega product placement) its better than anything in DAF.

I think people are confusing witty one liner type dialogue with actual good film dialogue.

The dialogue between Vesper and Bond on the train is two human beings sizing each other up, flirting and is natural.

It only works because Eva Green is the greatest living actress.
    And it's a normal conversation, it cannot be compared to humorous dialogue or one liners in other Bond movies.
    Furthermore I doubt anyone will quote anything from that scene in 10, 20 years or later, but a lot of DAF's dialogue will be quoted to all eternity, it's that great. And it's Connery.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 5,767

That is funny that you say it´s natural. I clearly remember the time when CR was in the cinemas, and some members here seriously criticised that dialogue as being unnatural ;-).

I personally find it one of the highlights of Craigfilm dialogue.

But I find the differentiation between witty one liner dialogue and actual good film dialogue flawed, because, speaking within the Bond context, I consider some (or more) witty one liner dialogue (especially in Bond films of the 60s-80s) in effect better than a lot of serious and no doubt clever and "good" dialogue (especially in newer films) that in the end makes the overall experience kind of clumsy or a bit down-pulling (in order to avoid the too harsh term depressing).
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Mgm could work out a distribution deal and release deal around now but the window is pretty much almost shut on 2018 release you would think at least by next year they would have a partner and release date probably in 2019 if Craig is coming you would think you can't afford to push it out 2020 and later there's got to be progress next year if there is no progress next year something is definitely wrong funny to say because at this point you'd think something is up MGM still hasn't come out with a report for 3rd quarter last I checked I wonder if next quarter they discuss plans for next year and I wonder if bond will come up?
    I think people should finally start realising this era has been closed. Even if Craig was willing to do another, how can they make Bond 25 for a 2019 release, or God forbid even later and keep Craig. It won't work.
    Reality check people.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Booo.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Filming in 2018/2019 and releasing 2019 sounds still possible to me ... but it will be his last one. And if it's been pushed down even more, the Craig era will be over. What a shame if his era would end with just 4 entries then.
    Craig for Bond 25.

No Limits.
    No Fears.
    No Substitutes or Replacements.

It's over when Blofeld dies.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd really appreciate it if the next era injects Roger Moore humour into its outline.
    @Murdock

It's not Halloween yet ;)

I am so torn concerning the matter of the next Bond film.
    One day I pray for Craig to return no matter how or when Bond 25 will be made, the next day I hope for a clean cut and a fresh start, so it wouldn't really matter if Bond 25 hits the screen in 2018/2019/2020.

Before Spectre I couldn't have cared less about Craig returning. SF was the biggest disappointment I ever went through since becoming a fan.
    But Spectre changed it all. Not only is it my No 1, which is incredible, but also it has renewed and possibly cemented my life-long fanboy existence forever and a day.

TLD-GE-SP my holy triumvirate of perfect movie experiences. I didn't think it possible it would happen again, but Spectre did it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'd really appreciate it if the next era injects Roger Moore humour into its outline.

You don't get more Moore than "It's the circle of life." Moore would have delivered it better, though.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Actually, that was more Connery than Moore. That line wasn't even as highlighted as it's made out to be here.
    @BondJasonBond006, It's close but no cigar. :P

Anyway, I'd much be happier with a 5th and final Craig film. SP didn't feel like an ending to his era, more like a hint of bigger things to come. The calm in the storm before the hurricane hits.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Murdock wrote: »
    @BondJasonBond006, It's close but no cigar. :P

Anyway, I'd much be happier with a 5th and final Craig film. SP didn't feel like an ending to his era, more like a hint of bigger things to come. The calm in the storm before the hurricane hits.

Every time I read the words kite or hurricane... "You are a kite dancing in a hurricane, Mr. Bond."
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I wholeheartedly agree! Now we just have to look for a suitable candidate...

Aidan-Turner-1.png?resize=750%2C490
    I wholeheartedly agree! Now we just have to look for a suitable candidate...

Aidan-Turner-1.png?resize=750%2C490

+1
    I think people should finally start realising this era has been closed. Even if Craig was willing to do another, how can they make Bond 25 for a 2019 release, or God forbid even later and keep Craig. It won't work.
    Reality check people.

I think people are finally giving up on a 2018 release. I just don't see how EON could have a full cast and creative team ready, as well as a script prepared for 12 months from now. Maybe I could see it, but both Barbara and Craig seem to be occupying themselves with other things these days. Perhaps young Gregg should take over the producer duties for Bond 25, since Micheal has health problems and Barbara doesn't seem interested anymore. Imagine how much fresh energy would be brought to the franchise with a new producer, new Bond, new director, new writers. That would be a bold move, and perhaps just what is needed to propel the franchise forward. I think that was part of what made Goldeneye so special, that it felt so fresh and new after the long break.

Considering nothing has been done so far for Bond 25 and there haven't even been any discussions (according to Craig), I'd say 2018 is unlikely as well- though not impossible.
    I imagine Gregg probably would be taking over the mantle sooner than later.
    At this point my biggest hope is that once MGM secures a distribution deal, there also comes some sort of long term plan with it. At least for the next 3 films. Of course that could entail hiring a new Bond.
    Right now it just looks as though everyone is playing it by ear. Honestly, that doesn't bode well for the future considering we're in the series' 6th decade, and the productivity has pretty much been cut in half for the last 3 decades. I'd consider ourselves extremely lucky if we even get another film in the 2010's.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,087
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Considering nothing has been done so far for Bond 25 and there haven't even been any discussions (according to Craig), I'd say 2018 is unlikely as well- though not impossible.
    At this point my biggest hope is that once MGM secures a distribution deal, there also comes some sort of long term plan with it. At least for the next 3 films. Of course that could entail hiring a new Bond.
    Right now it just looks as though everyone is playing it by ear. Honestly, that doesn't bode well for the future considering we're in the series' 6th decade, and the productivity has pretty much been cut in half for the last 3 decades. I'd consider ourselves extremely lucky if we even get another film in the 2010's.

Of course! I'm forgetting about the distibutor. We haven't heard much about that in awhile, and likely that is what's holding things up for the time being. So it looks like Craig might not have a say in the matter after all. Once everything is sorted out 2019 might be the earliest time available. Then I hardly think that WB or whoever would be interested in kicking things off with a sendoff for an old, tired 007. They won't want to inherit Sony's baggage. Most likely they'll advocate some sort of soft reboot so they can be involved from the beginning.

You're also right about the productivity, that's why Bond 25 is so crucial. It really feels like we're entering one of those periods where the franchise will either pull through and become stronger as a result, or flounder completely. It's do or die, just like in 1977, 1995 and 2006. Hopefully that means that Bond 25, featuring BOND ACTOR 007th, will reach a new peak for the franchise. However, I don't think it will be release in the year 2020, as EON don't really like years ending in 0. It'll either be 2019 or 2021, six years after SP just like the six year wait for Goldeneye.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Reality check people.

I think people are finally giving up on a 2018 release. I just don't see how EON could have a full cast and creative team ready, as well as a script prepared for 12 months from now. Maybe I could see it, but both Barbara and Craig seem to be occupying themselves with other things these days. Perhaps young Gregg should take over the producer duties for Bond 25, since Micheal has health problems and Barbara doesn't seem interested anymore. Imagine how much fresh energy would be brought to the franchise with a new producer, new Bond, new director, new writers. That would be a bold move, and perhaps just what is needed to propel the franchise forward. I think that was part of what made Goldeneye so special, that it felt so fresh and new after the long break.
    I'm all for this, and agree that it is the most credible way forward. The Babs era gave us Craig and the reboot, and I'm very thankful for that. However, it has also given us lacklustre formula efforts when they've gone in that direction (DAD, TND, SP).

That's not because the formula is tired, but rather because this team doesn't know how to do formula in my view.

Consequently, I'm all for fresh thinking and new blood and hope they take this delay as an opportunity to revamp the entire team.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wish this thread would just die already, choking on its own ignorance and paranoia.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Of course! I'm forgetting about the distibutor. We haven't heard much about that in awhile, and likely that is what's holding things up for the time being. So it looks like Craig might not have a say in the matter after all. Once everything is sorted out 2019 might be the earliest time available. Then I hardly think that WB or whoever would be interested in kicking things off with a sendoff for an old, tired 007. They won't want to inherit Sony's baggage. Most likely they'll advocate some sort of soft reboot so they can be involved from the beginning.

You're also right about the productivity, that's why Bond 25 is so crucial. It really feels like we're entering one of those periods where the franchise will either pull through and become stronger as a result, or flounder completely. It's do or die, just like in 1977, 1995 and 2006. Hopefully that means that Bond 25, featuring BOND ACTOR 007th, will reach a new peak for the franchise. However, I don't think it will be release in the year 2020, as EON don't really like years ending in 0. It'll either be 2019 or 2021, six years after SP just like the six year wait for Goldeneye.

...or 2022 Bond's 60th anniversary on screen. Then wait another 5 then another 5 or 10 and just capitalize on anniversary dates ...much like my ex wife did. It's fool proof.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,087
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's not because the formula is tired, but rather because this team doesn't know how to do formula in my view.

Consequently, I'm all for fresh thinking and new blood and hope they take this delay as an opportunity to revamp the entire team.
    This is a brilliant observation. This particular partnership of writers, producers and directors have demonstrated a distinct lack of ability when it comes to the formula that the series is set on. It's goes back to what I was saying about the craft simply not being there. They can't seem to marry all the elements together anymore, and it makes everything seem jarring and disparate. The action and the drama never gel in the Craig era, except for CR due to Campbell's involvement. The Bond girls are either fleeting, or permanent fixtures in Bonds psyche, never in between the two. The Villains often lack a satisfactory motivation, or a clearly defined plan.

The Craig era is great at the little touches, but when so much of the basic foundations are lacking, what does that really count for?
  • RC7RC7
    cOiSwFi.gif
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »
    cOiSwFi.gif

D'oh!! #-o
    And more Aidan Turner talk why didn't Craig indicate he is coming bsck