No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    because everybody is still tired and his favourite colour might be blue.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Considering nothing has been done so far for Bond 25 and there haven't even been any discussions (according to Craig), I'd say 2018 is unlikely as well- though not impossible.
    I imagine Gregg probably would be taking over the mantle sooner than later.
    At this point my biggest hope is that once MGM secures a distribution deal, there also comes some sort of long term plan with it. At least for the next 3 films. Of course that could entail hiring a new Bond.
    Right now it just looks as though everyone is playing it by ear. Honestly, that doesn't bode well for the future considering we're in the series' 6th decade, and the productivity has pretty much been cut in half for the last 3 decades. I'd consider ourselves extremely lucky if we even get another film in the 2010's.

Of course! I'm forgetting about the distibutor. We haven't heard much about that in awhile, and likely that is what's holding things up for the time being. So it looks like Craig might not have a say in the matter after all. Once everything is sorted out 2019 might be the earliest time available. Then I hardly think that WB or whoever would be interested in kicking things off with a sendoff for an old, tired 007. They won't want to inherit Sony's baggage. Most likely they'll advocate some sort of soft reboot so they can be involved from the beginning.

You're also right about the productivity, that's why Bond 25 is so crucial. It really feels like we're entering one of those periods where the franchise will either pull through and become stronger as a result, or flounder completely. It's do or die, just like in 1977, 1995 and 2006. Hopefully that means that Bond 25, featuring BOND ACTOR 007th, will reach a new peak for the franchise. However, I don't think it will be release in the year 2020, as EON don't really like years ending in 0. It'll either be 2019 or 2021, six years after SP just like the six year wait for Goldeneye.

I'd say it is another 1977, 1995 period. I'd put 2006 into that as well, the difference being it was a deliberate bold choice to re-boot with CR. The franchise itself wasn't exactly at stake after DAD. The 20th film just happened to be considered by many a crummy entry. Fans felt the same after MR.
    In a sense a whole year was wasted by Eon trying to figure out what to do with the Jinx spin off and the 5th Brosnan film. Had the decision been made from the get -go to do an adaptation of CR (with or without Pierce), I'd bet my Blu-ray of OHMSS we would have gotten CR in 2005.
    Much like then I'd say a whole year has once again been wasted by Eon by not deciding anything so far with Bond 25, and MGM taking their sweet "no rush" time with the distributor deal.
    I do feel there is still a glimmer of hope for 2018. I f we were on a 2 year gap a'la CR and QOS, a new film would be out next month and development on the next wouldn't start until late winter/early spring time. Filming would commence in January of 2018 for a November release. Heck, filming could even start as late as April and be out in December. It's been done before.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @ToTheRight yet both MR and DAD were amongst the most successful films in the series at their time, so both did well with the audience, and DAD did great with critics too, don't know about MR.
    MR had solid reviews, actually. Sci-Fi was very popular and MR fit right in. Also it was done extremely well. It wasn't until afterwards Cubby decided to tone things down for FYEO.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    In order for 2018 to still be on the cards, someone must surely be writing the script as we speak?
    In order for 2018 to still be on the cards, someone must surely be writing the script as we speak?

if it's the same quality as QOS SP and especially SF it's done in two days, by students.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116

if it's the same quality as QOS SP and especially SF it's done in two days, by students.

Hey, that could be better than two years of Logan. :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    It could have been me only, but I don't see why Logan should be at fault all the time... I mean, the ideas he gave for Spectre in the leaked emails actually did suggest solid stuff. Some of you may not see the way I saw things, but I actually thought they were great... From the character of Charlotte, the traitor CIA agent (at a later stage, whom Bond gives a scar during a ski parkour chase) to Blofeld being a codename for the main villain... The African warlord who wasn't Blofeld... It wasn't Logan's idea to make them stepbrothers.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,756
    It could have been me only, but I don't see why Logan should be at fault all the time... I mean, the ideas he gave for Spectre in the leaked emails actually did suggest solid stuff. Some of you may not see the way I saw things, but I actually thought they were great... From the character of Charlotte, the traitor CIA agent (at a later stage, whom Bond gives a scar during a ski parkour chase) to Blofeld being a codename for the main villain... The African warlord who wasn't Blofeld... It wasn't Logan's idea to make them stepbrothers.

Agreed. Logan's original script sounded pretty solid from what I've heard -- but Mendes had "better" ideas and hired P&W to butcher the script. Although Amy Pascal is also at fault with her upcase emails WHY WOULD JAMES BOND BE IN A CAGE FIGHT THAT IS SO NOT BONDIAN I DONT LIKE THIS OR LIKE THAT. Who knows. I haven't ever read the original draft but any draft without the brother angle and Waltz's (weak) Blofeld sounds good to me.

Agreed. Logan's original script sounded pretty solid from what I've heard -- but Mendes had "better" ideas and hired P&W to butcher the script. Although Amy Pascal is also at fault with her upcase emails WHY WOULD JAMES BOND BE IN A CAGE FIGHT THAT IS SO NOT BONDIAN I DONT LIKE THIS OR LIKE THAT. Who knows. I haven't ever read the original draft but any draft without the brother angle and Waltz's (weak) Blofeld sounds good to me.
    I do admit some of the things really wouldn't have worked out and there was unnecessary drama with Moneypenny getting injured in the PTS, for instance. I wouldn't have minded the cage fight, Bond could have posed as a fighter while the earpiece in his ear made him receive a sign from the other side of the contact to leave the premises and head for the point. That I know about. But, I did love the final PTS which really was Bondian.

Basically, what Purvis and Wade did was to take the plot elements Logan built the film on and rewrite everything else. And I'm suspecting it was Craig who insisted upon the stepbrother/foster brother idea, which is daft, unoriginal and idiotic. High School Musical stuff. It was low in any regard. They could have stirred the pot in many ways! Franz Oberhauser may have been a good start... Okay, Oberhauser could've been a good pass for the foster brother angle, but not the background given to him. Somebody said that ages ago here and I'll recall the revenge element properly placed. Oberhauser could have held grudge at Bond because his father was killed because of an MI-6 agent, a double agent that was Major Dexter Smythe. They could've used that! And when Bond affiliates himself with MI-6, that's when Franz fixates on him. Why the Blofeld revelation?

Let Blofeld be at the end of the film where he walks around with the Persian Cat (yes, that should be included. Not in the novels? Don't give a damn. It's iconic thanks to the cinematic portrait which boosted the series' popularity in the first place) from the shadows and takes the seat at the head of the table as he's throned to be the head of Spectre (or SPECTRE with acronyms, whatever). It's not hard to make solid something. They should stop playing the appeal to the teenage audience. Especially the teenagers of today.

You're right. I just wasn't a fan of Logan before SP.

He though was at least thinking out of the box and not retreating Hollywood cliches.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

He though was at least thinking out of the box and not retreating Hollywood cliches.
    I'm not a fan of Logan, either. But, here he gets the blame for faults that aren't his.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I think people should finally start realising this era has been closed. Even if Craig was willing to do another, how can they make Bond 25 for a 2019 release, or God forbid even later and keep Craig. It won't work.
    Reality check people.

I think people are finally giving up on a 2018 release. I just don't see how EON could have a full cast and creative team ready, as well as a script prepared for 12 months from now. Maybe I could see it, but both Barbara and Craig seem to be occupying themselves with other things these days. Perhaps young Gregg should take over the producer duties for Bond 25, since Micheal has health problems and Barbara doesn't seem interested anymore. Imagine how much fresh energy would be brought to the franchise with a new producer, new Bond, new director, new writers. That would be a bold move, and perhaps just what is needed to propel the franchise forward. I think that was part of what made Goldeneye so special, that it felt so fresh and new after the long break.

I suppose making the same kind of film over and over and over and over again might lose its appeal even if you're the daughter of the guy - Cubby Broccoli - that started it all! How do you reinvent James Bond? Hmm.. tough one. Perhaps if MI6 was completely shut down and James Bond was an agent for hire?

The title could be:

AGENT FOR HIRE

and it's set in a world where the government has shut down MI6 and drones do much of the spy work. The 00 section has closed and some of the 00 agents work as mercenaries. Bond has retired but discovers a conspiracy which threatens the lives of the remaining 00 agents. Bond would not be license to kill - technically - as he's no longer a 00 agent but he'd work with some covert group within the CIA or something just to add some legitimacy to his actions.

Something like that might work but it would necessitate a new Bond actor. M would not be in the film or if he is he's retired too, same with Moneypenny. This would be a world where Bond is no longer needed. That's the premise of Bond 25. It would be a way to reboot the franchise, perhaps. Remove Bond as a 00 working for the British government and you got an interesting premise!

James Bond:
    "I used to work for the British government... but now I'm an agent for hire."

I'm not a fan of Logan, either. But, here he gets the blame for faults that aren't his.

*holding head in shame*
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    EON dislikes years ending with a 0?
    Yep!

*holding head in shame*

So does Purvis and Wade the original ending of die another day was an exact copy of the novel of Moonraker and Lee Tamahori rejected it and said it needs to be more over the top and well we see the results
    Risico007 wrote: »

*holding head in shame*

So does Purvis and Wade the original ending of die another day was an exact copy of the novel of Moonraker and Lee Tamahori rejected it and said it needs to be more over the top and well we see the results

Interesting... but DAD would have ended presumably almost like Die Hard 2. Maybe? I dunno.
    With a new director, new writer, new producer, new distributor and new Bond, Bond 25 will be a very different film. It's so strange how everything has coincided like this. All the positions are being vacated at the same time. It's like the dawn of a new era.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Same producers, same studio but yes I'm with hoping for a fresh start (:
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's going to go this direction. I can feel it.
    pVNHBPgl.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588
    With a new director, new writer, new producer, new distributor and new Bond, Bond 25 will be a very different film. It's so strange how everything has coincided like this. All the positions are being vacated at the same time. It's like the dawn of a new era.
    Let's not get ahead for ourselves. This is a frustrating waiting game, but let's be patient. Right now, nothing's in stone other than the fact that there will be a Bond 25.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    There is a lot of assumptions going on about who did what, like saying Craig was the one who came forth with the idea of Blofeld being Oberhauser et cetera. That aspect links in partly with Fleming and partly with Mendes interest in family relations, something that he more or less has explored in all his films. I can see that he was drawn to that particular idea when the original ideas were thrown out. They then, retroactively infused it into the general storyline which makes it a bit tacked on for many. This is also due to Mendes insistent remarks on how we should discover the plot with Bond.
    Scriptwriting is, and always has been a collaborative effort. There is contradictory to say otherwise.
    I am a huge fan of Spectre, but I can acknowledge the fact that there are faults in the general storyline. I think also think that particular aspect can be put down to that the filmmakers did rather see certain scenes and moments that were going to deliver (car chase, plane chase, emotional payoff) without seeing how it progressed within the storyline.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2016 Posts: 5,979
    Yes, I agree the stepbrother angle feels a lot more Mendes. And Craig downplayed that angle in his performance.

Craig has rejuvenated the series like no Bond since Connery. They made him a producer to entice him to SP. Eon won't let him go easily. For one thing, he will be a tough act to follow.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    So many similar things have been said before.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    echo wrote: »
    Yes, I agree the stepbrother angle feels a lot more Mendes. And Craig downplayed that angle in his performance.

Craig has rejuvenated the series like no Bond since Connery. They made him a producer to entice him to SP. Eon won't let him go easily. For one thing, he will be a tough act to follow.
    That's true but he's not irreplaceable. Nobody is. I'm sure they can find a suitable replacement, but it will depend on what direction they want to go in.

If it's back to 'moody gloomy', then I say do what you have to in order to entice and keep Craig, because nobody does it better. If it's more light hearted and formulaic, then they have choices.
    Keeping Craig just seems like protraction to me. While a lot of people have issues with the way SPECTRE ended, perhaps it's better to let sleeping dogs lie. No one seems to be even considering the possibility that a 5th Craig film might cause more problems than it fixes. I think after a certain point the creative energy and drive that a certain actor brings to the table begins to wain and the series loses impetus.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »

@echo-- yes, and yes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Keeping Craig just seems like protraction to me. While a lot of people have issues with the way SPECTRE ended, perhaps it's better to let sleeping dogs lie. No one seems to be even considering the possibility that a 5th Craig film might cause more problems than it fixes. I think after a certain point the creative energy and drive that a certain actor brings to the table begins to wain and the series loses impetus.
    The evidence certainly seems to back that up, at least in my estimation.
  • peterpeter Toronto

@ Mendes: DC is a highly skilled actor. It's the writer(s) job to develop an amazing story. Give the character some stakes and motivation and you'll see DC perform with great energy. As Echo said, he rejuvenated the series, and he will be a tough act to follow.