No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

tanaka123 wrote: »
    [quote="TheWizardOfIce;65
    1574"]
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i never say never at this point....... after SF, everyone thought John Logan would be the answer to P&W - and look what we got..............

...... except for Zimmer - we'd end up with something probably marginally better than Newman IMO.

John Logan was a worthy addition to the screenwriting team of SF and SF. I'm astonished how people 'piss' over him. Yes, there are complaints about story logic. But in return we did get much better crafted dialogues and conversations. They were dramatic, and heavily strengthened and enriched the characters. Take for instance the conversations between Blofeld and Bond (SP) or the conversations between Severine and Bond (SF).

There's also a lot of 'piss' floating around with other crew members. From DP Hoyte van Hoytema to composer Thomas Newman, from the action sequences (Chris Corbould) to director Sam Mendes, and indeed the writers. At times it feels like the last two Bond films were one huge pile of garbage.

Obviously we are here to be critical, and we should question flaws and hope they get improved next time by actually coming up with solutions (Like: the story needs to be better logic-wise). But you have 'creative disagreement' and 'unnuanced slamming'.

I for one think there's been quite a lot of "nuanced" creative disagreements about SP here (Christ I'm getting sick of that word). All the main dissenters of the movie I can think of having relied on statements like, "this film sucks!" or "worst Bond ever, end of story." They've been pretty clear about what doesn't work, and for the most part, I'd say they are right.

I'm a bigger fan of the two Mendes films than most, @Gustav_Graves, but to pretend that they were free from flaw and/or not in serious need of improvement in certain areas, is absolutely ludicrous.

We've got Newman repeating his own work in a very droning, tired fashion, with a score that disappears in the film and is unforgettable outside the PTS, a final product that makes you wonder if he worked on the film's compositions for more than a month.

Logan was let off the chain to "do his thing" and we ended up with a series of scripts that put the film into a mess, at which point he left EON to decide how to pick up the pieces of what he'd created. Even worse, Logan seemed to think the best way to handle a Bond script was for him to jam pack it full of tributes and references to the past, which is the opposite of where the series should be heading.

Chris Corbould and Sam Mendes were given more free reign than they ever should have been by EON, and in one of the greatest clusterf@#$s in Bond's production history, Corbould and Mendes were allowed to throw untold millions down the drain-while SP was already over budget, mind you-to create a real explosion that everyone thought was just CGI anyway and that could have been done cheaply and effectively with miniatures, all just to get an award from Guinness. To see Corbould and Mendes smiling and hugging on video in reaction to the immense budget costs they continued to balloon to a pop in exchange for a meaningless accolade is like watching a rich man from the Hollywood hills walk up to a poor homeless boy in an African shantytown, take out hundred dollar bills from his wallet and burn them with a lighter in front of the kid, laughing as he does it.

I like SP, for all its faults, but to pretend that this film represents the best of the Craig era or what EON should be capable of, performance wise, would be a blind and ridiculous assertion to make. Beyond the frustrating production issues, the leaks, the bad oversight of EON's team (like those listed above), and a film that failed to introduce Blofeld and SPECTRE in a way that would have been truly spectacular is frustrating. As I've said before, out of all the Craig films I'd change the most about SP because I see such promise begging to be released, but it's all suffocated by the atrocious personal history that had to be manufactured between Bond and Blofeld and the somewhat sloppy retcon we had to endure to get here.

Bond 25 is the last chance to make this work, but a lot of improvements need to be made, and fast.

Excellent summary of events and, dare I say it, a very nuanced post.

If people like Logan, Newman and Mendes are getting drenched in piss Gustav then they only have themselves to blame.

Courbould I'm less inclined to give a golden shower to as he's just a technician who does what the director and producers tell him. The car and plane chases are competent enough from a technical standpoint and it's not Chris or Gary Powell's fault that they underwhelm. That said I doubt Chris needed much encouragement when they said they were going to do the biggest explosion in history. But hey, it's not his money.

Babs and MGW seem to dodge a lot of the piss that's flying around. It was them who let Logan go AWOL without any supervision, it was them who thought the only solution was to bring back P&W, it was them that gave over so much control to Mendes (thus saddling us with his glove puppet, Newman), it was them who signed off on stepbrothergate and spunking Liberia's GDP up in flames.

EON's control of SP amounts to almost dereliction of duty so if there's any fresh, warm piss to be dished out a fair amount of it should be heading in their direction.

Man, I'm literally laughing out loud, this is so funny.

If only it was a laughing matter.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    i never say never at this point....... after SF, everyone thought John Logan would be the answer to P&W - and look what we got..............

...... except for Zimmer - we'd end up with something probably marginally better than Newman IMO.

John Logan was a worthy addition to the screenwriting team of SF and SF. I'm astonished how people 'piss' over him. Yes, there are complaints about story logic. But in return we did get much better crafted dialogues and conversations. They were dramatic, and heavily strengthened and enriched the characters. Take for instance the conversations between Blofeld and Bond (SP) or the conversations between Severine and Bond (SF).

There's also a lot of 'piss' floating around with other crew members. From DP Hoyte van Hoytema to composer Thomas Newman, from the action sequences (Chris Corbould) to director Sam Mendes, and indeed the writers. At times it feels like the last two Bond films were one huge pile of garbage.

Obviously we are here to be critical, and we should question flaws and hope they get improved next time by actually coming up with solutions (Like: the story needs to be better logic-wise). But you have 'creative disagreement' and 'unnuanced slamming'.

I for one think there's been quite a lot of "nuanced" creative disagreements about SP here (Christ I'm getting sick of that word). All the main dissenters of the movie I can think of having relied on statements like, "this film sucks!" or "worst Bond ever, end of story." They've been pretty clear about what doesn't work, and for the most part, I'd say they are right.

I'm a bigger fan of the two Mendes films than most, @Gustav_Graves, but to pretend that they were free from flaw and/or not in serious need of improvement in certain areas, is absolutely ludicrous.

We've got Newman repeating his own work in a very droning, tired fashion, with a score that disappears in the film and is unforgettable outside the PTS, a final product that makes you wonder if he worked on the film's compositions for more than a month.

Logan was let off the chain to "do his thing" and we ended up with a series of scripts that put the film into a mess, at which point he left EON to decide how to pick up the pieces of what he'd created. Even worse, Logan seemed to think the best way to handle a Bond script was for him to jam pack it full of tributes and references to the past, which is the opposite of where the series should be heading.

Chris Corbould and Sam Mendes were given more free reign than they ever should have been by EON, and in one of the greatest clusterf@#$s in Bond's production history, Corbould and Mendes were allowed to throw untold millions down the drain-while SP was already over budget, mind you-to create a real explosion that everyone thought was just CGI anyway and that could have been done cheaply and effectively with miniatures, all just to get an award from Guinness. To see Corbould and Mendes smiling and hugging on video in reaction to the immense budget costs they continued to balloon to a pop in exchange for a meaningless accolade is like watching a rich man from the Hollywood hills walk up to a poor homeless boy in an African shantytown, take out hundred dollar bills from his wallet and burn them with a lighter in front of the kid, laughing as he does it.

I like SP, for all its faults, but to pretend that this film represents the best of the Craig era or what EON should be capable of, performance wise, would be a blind and ridiculous assertion to make. Beyond the frustrating production issues, the leaks, the bad oversight of EON's team (like those listed above), and a film that failed to introduce Blofeld and SPECTRE in a way that would have been truly spectacular is frustrating. As I've said before, out of all the Craig films I'd change the most about SP because I see such promise begging to be released, but it's all suffocated by the atrocious personal history that had to be manufactured between Bond and Blofeld and the somewhat sloppy retcon we had to endure to get here.

Bond 25 is the last chance to make this work, but a lot of improvements need to be made, and fast.

Excellent summary of events and, dare I say it, a very nuanced post.

If people like Logan, Newman and Mendes are getting drenched in piss Gustav then they only have themselves to blame.

Courbould I'm less inclined to give a golden shower to as he's just a technician who does what the director and producers tell him. The car and plane chases are competent enough from a technical standpoint and it's not Chris or Gary Powell's fault that they underwhelm. That said I doubt Chris needed much encouragement when they said they were going to do the biggest explosion in history. But hey, it's not his money.

Babs and MGW seem to dodge a lot of the piss that's flying around. It was them who let Logan go AWOL without any supervision, it was them who thought the only solution was to bring back P&W, it was them that gave over so much control to Mendes (thus saddling us with his glove puppet, Newman), it was them who signed off on stepbrothergate and spunking Liberia's GDP up in flames.

EON's control of SP amounts to almost dereliction of duty so if there's any fresh, warm piss to be dished out a fair amount of it should be heading in their direction.

I would consider that MGW was going through health concerns during part of that. I'm not sure of the timetable though or if that was even a factor or by how much of a factor.

Honest question but how do we know that MGW and BB weren't involved in Logan's early writing? I mean Logan got the job because the producers liked his pitch.

Fair point on MGW. If he was too ill to contribute then I'm happy to absolve him.

If EON were involved in Logan's writing then they just deserve more of the piss stream of criticism as why did it take them till the eleventh hour to reign him in?

I think not supervising properly is slightly better than being fully informed all the way through and only suddenly realising that it was all a pile of shit when it was too late.

You would have thought they would have learnt their lesson too. Paul Haggis' original idea of Bond running after Vesper's baby and Peter Morgan's original idea of Bond killing M. 2 examples on the 2 previous films where they had to reign writers in - why do they let them go the extent of creating ideas scripts their not happy with - have some sort of guideline - maybe a bit more sophisticated than the one they gave Roald Dahl too - 'he must have three women'

is this a joke? quoting and re-quoting until the page explodes??
    a simple quote-less reply should do by now one could think...[/quote]

I quoted as I was directly addressing the Wizard's comments, sorry I'm not a veteran of the international law on how to use internet forums.
  • RC7RC7
    And the word 'nuance'? Christ, we should ff-ing apply it more

It all honesty mate I dont think you could use it more. Have you got shares in 'NuanceCorp Inc' or something?

I think this may be my fault. I remembering using the word in reply to Graves some time back - I can only assume he looked it up online and slowly, over time, it's started to consume his very being. A sort of literary symbiote.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »

It all honesty mate I dont think you could use it more. Have you got shares in 'NuanceCorp Inc' or something?

I think this may be my fault. I remembering using the word in reply to Graves some time back - I can only assume he looked it up online and slowly, over time, it's started to consume his very being. A sort of literary symbiote.

We'll have to start calling in the 'N' word. That worked for that other 'N' word. People used to say it all the time but now its verboten - unless you are a rapper of course and then its fine.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote: »

We'll have to start calling in the 'N' word. That worked for that other 'N' word. People used to say it all the time but now its verboten - unless you are a rapper of course and then its fine.

Apparently it's fine to say only as long as you're a black man or woman and end the word with an "a" and not "er." The latter form of the word is a step too far and offensive, while the former is somehow a term of endearment (?). Crazy, crazy, crazy.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    The biggest fan of Spectre is undoubtedly me.

And that's good. We won't all agree but we all need or have a favorite.

SP is still a Bond film so you have my appreciation. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Murdock wrote: »
    Oh we'll soon see about that. ;)
    You are welcome to duel over it.

I'll pass and compete for one of the others.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Technically I'm GoldenEye's biggest fan but Spectre comes in second place. :D
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Not looking like we're going to get any news today huh?
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I'll take "Nuance" over "Pastiche." That word gets thrown around like confetti and I hate it now. =))

The word "confetti" gets way too much play these days. Can we put a moratorium on the word "confetti" already? Thaaanks. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'll take "Nuance" over "Pastiche." That word gets thrown around like confetti and I hate it now. =))

The word "confetti" gets way too much play these days. Can we put a moratorium on the word "confetti" already? Thaaanks. ;)

Of course. Let's pop off some confetti to celebrate its retirement. Oh, oops. #-o
    Nuanced confetti with a lot of panache
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Daniel Craig in New York, 10.07. Hmmm, sounds interesting.
    that is definitely strangle I smell something fishy that date must have been picked on purpose
    strange not strangle sorry stupid device

#-o

Dr Strange doesn t strangle a sorry, stupid device?

You lost me there.Are you Hulk?

No I'm not the hulk unfortunately but what I was trying to do was correct a word error from a message before and it turn out being strangle instead of strange because the stupid phone auto corrects words that are not spelled correctly to the machine its complicated so there you go im not drunk
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

i respect your opinions..

but for me..

Logan's work on SF was good.. but his work on SP wasn't that great - and apparently it was so bad that Mendes himself sacked him to bring back P&W to try and salvage whatever mess Logan created - and Logan was Mendes' hand picked guy to replace P&W.... the foster brother angle was extremely shortsighted - it lacks any sort of emotional resonance with the audience, because it's a twist thrown in to make people be like "ohhh" - it adds no dramatic impact....... here's a fun test to prove my point - watch the movie again, and then completely disregard anything that had to do with that little twist - that means the "personal effects from SF" - everything that referenced that personal angle between them.. THE MOVIE STILL WOULD'VE PLAYED OUT EXACTLY THE SAME WAY!! - the whole "brother" thing was completely superfluous.. remove it, and the movie doesn't change a bit.. and thats a dead giveaway that it should've been cut from the film - adding a twist to generate some sort of faux sense of emotional importance is not good writing... we don't see anything built up between these two, it's more or less just explained away - thus - the audience isn't invested, and no one cares......... again, this is another example of what happens when you try to cram way to much into one movie.

Hoyt Van Hoytema - i really liked his DOP work on SP.. i thought the movie was beautifully shot.. a very nice lateral move from Deakins.

Thomas Newman... didn't impress me with his SF soundtrack, and really didn't impress me with his SP soundtrack... there are certain tracks on both that are outstanding, and beautiful - but they lack that BOND quality.... IMO, the best modern Bond score is still CR, and nothing since has been able to top it.. not that i am closed minded - but that score IS how Bond movies should sound like in this day and age.. it brought a modern edge to the Barry template of weaving the title music in and out throughout the entire movie - bridging melodies off it to create new ones.... Newman's work had moment's of brilliance, but just not enough - too much against the grain of what I want from a Bond score.

i respect your opinions..

but for me..

Logan's work on SF was good.. but his work on SP wasn't that great - and apparently it was so bad that Mendes himself sacked him to bring back P&W to try and salvage whatever mess Logan created - and Logan was Mendes' hand picked guy to replace P&W.... the foster brother angle was extremely shortsighted - it lacks any sort of emotional resonance with the audience, because it's a twist thrown in to make people be like "ohhh" - it adds no dramatic impact....... here's a fun test to prove my point - watch the movie again, and then completely disregard anything that had to do with that little twist - that means the "personal effects from SF" - everything that referenced that personal angle between them.. THE MOVIE STILL WOULD'VE PLAYED OUT EXACTLY THE SAME WAY!! - the whole "brother" thing was completely superfluous.. remove it, and the movie doesn't change a bit.. and thats a dead giveaway that it should've been cut from the film - adding a twist to generate some sort of faux sense of emotional importance is not good writing... we don't see anything built up between these two, it's more or less just explained away - thus - the audience isn't invested, and no one cares......... again, this is another example of what happens when you try to cram way to much into one movie.

Hoyt Van Hoytema - i really liked his DOP work on SP.. i thought the movie was beautifully shot.. a very nice lateral move from Deakins.

Thomas Newman... didn't impress me with his SF soundtrack, and really didn't impress me with his SP soundtrack... there are certain tracks on both that are outstanding, and beautiful - but they lack that BOND quality.... IMO, the best modern Bond score is still CR, and nothing since has been able to top it.. not that i am closed minded - but that score IS how Bond movies should sound like in this day and age.. it brought a modern edge to the Barry template of weaving the title music in and out throughout the entire movie - bridging melodies off it to create new ones.... Newman's work had moment's of brilliance, but just not enough - too much against the grain of what I want from a Bond score.

Impossible to argue with a word of this nuanced™ post. But no doubt @Gustav will have a crack at it.

• edited October 2016 Posts: 4,619
    Guy Ritchie? Are you KIDDING me? It would be near impossible to think of a more boring choice. No, I don't want Ritchie anywhere near the Bond franchise.
  • RC7RC7
    Guy Ritchie? Are you KIDDING me? It would be near impossible to think of a more boring choice. No, I don't want Ritchie anywhere near the Bond franchise.

Amen. The lack of news is warping people's brains.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Oh we'll soon see about that. ;)
    You are welcome to duel over it.

I'll pass and compete for one of the others.

From Russia remains my favorite.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Sadly, it looks like I won't be attending Othello this winter. I was prepared to buy tickets today (a limited supply went on sale at 12:00pm) but was tied up with a client appt and by the time I was back at the office they were all gone.

The only option now is to get on some kind of lottery or to make a patron contribution of $2500 to the NYTW. I like Craig, but I'm afraid that's too steep for me.

http://www.playbill.com/article/tickets-for-othello-with-david-oyelowo-and-daniel-craig-sell-out-within-hours
  • Whoa. I had actually been thinking about trying to make that happen myself. Guess not now.
    I don't know why they don't have these performances filmed for at least one night to later release to audiences on DVD. The performance wouldn't even need to be shot with any kind of expertise; even one long wide shot would do for the duration of the show, just so it capture those actors on the night doing their thing. People who just can't get to these kinds of performances due to their residency or who don't have the time to constantly refresh an online ticket page to get good seats lose out on great performances constantly.

Just a shame, really.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I don't know why they don't have these performances filmed for at least one night to later release to audiences on DVD. The performance wouldn't even need to be shot with any kind of expertise; even one long wide shot would do for the duration of the show, just so it capture those actors on the night doing their thing. People who just can't get to these kinds of performances due to their residency or who don't have the time to constantly refresh an online ticket page to get good seats lose out on great performances constantly.

Just a shame, really.

like Fathom Events at theaters..... often times, movie theaters will show plays, musicals, or operas, just for the reasons you suggested - sadly though - they can't do it with everything..
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Apparently there is a report out from deadline that James bond distribution rights are still in standstill according to Sony executive saw on Twitter on James bond news twitter page
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2016 Posts: 7,980
    Concerning Bond, from the above article.
    " The biggest question, of course, is the James Bond series, Sony’s rights to which have expired. Rothman flatly declined to describe the studio’s posture toward Bond, saying that discussion would be premature. But it is clear that Sony, having prospered in partnership with Eon Productions, MGM and others with films like Skyfall and Spectre, will join the bidding for the next round of Bonds and likely will point to its Wanda alliance as an example of new strength it can bring to the table."
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There will be no Bond film before 2020.
    EoN seems uninterested in doing anything than being lazy.
    Why not finding a new distributor BEFORE the rights expired??
    Now they wait for what??
    And once a new deal has been struck in 2018 they will realise Craig is not available anymore and then start casting a new one, or just wait another year.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Now they wait for what??

And once a new deal has been struck in 2018 they will realise Craig is not available anymore and then start casting a new one, or just wait another year.
    MGM.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Sadly, it looks like I won't be attending Othello this winter. I was prepared to buy tickets today (a limited supply went on sale at 12:00pm) but was tied up with a client appt and by the time I was back at the office they were all gone.

The only option now is to get on some kind of lottery or to make a patron contribution of $2500 to the NYTW. I like Craig, but I'm afraid that's too steep for me.

http://www.playbill.com/article/tickets-for-othello-with-david-oyelowo-and-daniel-craig-sell-out-within-hours

Or try the last minute ticket booth in Times Square.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117

I thought you were a fan of SP?
    Now they wait for what??

like @Murdock said.. in this case, EON is at the mercy of MGM... EON may be at the table, and part of the discussion, but this particular decision is MGM's to make (similar in the way that MGM and whoever are part of the casting discussions, but the ultimate decision lies with EON - this is just the opposite)..

and in a situation like this, there is a lot of red tape and legalease to go through - and thats not counting the financial aspect of things..... personally though i am shocked no decision has been made yet, but that doesn't mean discussions aren't taking place - because in situations like this, there'll be periods of no news, as if nothing is taking place.. but suddenly something breaks, and the dominos quickly begin to fall - i point to the MGM financial crisis as a prime example of a similar situation.. no news on a buyer for a long time, then all of sudden it was like the flood gates opened.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Harry Saltzman really did screw the Broccolis up, didn't he?