No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    ClarkDevlin said:

I'm thinking he'll be talking about Logan Lucky that he's currently shooting (is it wrapped? Dunno about that), or Othello the stage play he'll soon be part of, or what he's planning to do with Purity as its leading star. That's all.
    Regarding the filming of Purity:
    Todd Field will direct all 20 hours of the limited series. Purity will begin production in 2017 and will air in two installments over the course of two years.

Let's say each episode takes a week to film? I don't know if that is a realistic length of time but let's assume it's a week to film each episode. That's 20 weeks - five months of shooting plus any breaks for holidays or reshoots/last minute changes to the scripts. Let's go with six months maximum. Craig could be finished by June/July/ August depending on the start month. If he doesn't sign up to any other stuff after that he'll be available to do Bond 25 in winter 2017. He could have enough time to chill out after filming Purity and be refreshed for Bond 25. I think it's doable so it will be interesting to see if Craig offers any hint he may consider returning to Bond.

On the other hand, if Purity is pushed back until summer then it's very unlikely Craig would want to go straight into filming Bond 25. He wouldn't have any break from filming Purity. I wonder if Craig insisted the start date for Purity is early 2017 just to give him options.

Variety are reporting that he will make "a minimum of $250,000 per episode (some estimates are higher) for a 20-episode commitment."

Given that sum, I am assuming his character will feature in the show more than he does in the book.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    To be fair I would take Martin Campbell, but really outside of GE, CR and the original Edge of Darkness he's not really done anything that good. Bond is unique. Sam Mendes is a good director - yet he delivered one good Bond film and one that to me is a middle of the pack Bond.

This is for the most part true and has been previously noted. If Bond is a "One Trick Pony" for Campbell then I say saddle up and get him back to bookend the Craig era!

• edited October 2016 Posts: 157
    Huge expectation for friday. I would love for Dan to come back one last time, with BOND 25 having an action sequence at Pamplona, involving the Encierro and a henchman who happens to be a bullfighter but also an accomplished assassin. It would be Hemingway feat. "The Most Dangerous Game". :P
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i never say never at this point....... after SF, everyone thought John Logan would be the answer to P&W - and look what we got..............

...... except for Zimmer - we'd end up with something probably marginally better than Newman IMO.

John Logan was a worthy addition to the screenwriting team of SF and SF. I'm astonished how people 'piss' over him. Yes, there are complaints about story logic. But in return we did get much better crafted dialogues and conversations. They were dramatic, and heavily strengthened and enriched the characters. Take for instance the conversations between Blofeld and Bond (SP) or the conversations between Severine and Bond (SF).

There's also a lot of 'piss' floating around with other crew members. From DP Hoyte van Hoytema to composer Thomas Newman, from the action sequences (Chris Corbould) to director Sam Mendes, and indeed the writers. At times it feels like the last two Bond films were one huge pile of garbage.

Obviously we are here to be critical, and we should question flaws and hope they get improved next time by actually coming up with solutions (Like: the story needs to be better logic-wise). But you have 'creative disagreement' and 'unnuanced slamming'.

I for one think there's been quite a lot of "nuanced" creative disagreements about SP here (Christ I'm getting sick of that word). All the main dissenters of the movie I can think of having relied on statements like, "this film sucks!" or "worst Bond ever, end of story." They've been pretty clear about what doesn't work, and for the most part, I'd say they are right.

I'm a bigger fan of the two Mendes films than most, @Gustav_Graves, but to pretend that they were free from flaw and/or not in serious need of improvement in certain areas, is absolutely ludicrous.

We've got Newman repeating his own work in a very droning, tired fashion, with a score that disappears in the film and is unforgettable outside the PTS, a final product that makes you wonder if he worked on the film's compositions for more than a month.

Logan was let off the chain to "do his thing" and we ended up with a series of scripts that put the film into a mess, at which point he left EON to decide how to pick up the pieces of what he'd created. Even worse, Logan seemed to think the best way to handle a Bond script was for him to jam pack it full of tributes and references to the past, which is the opposite of where the series should be heading.

Chris Corbould and Sam Mendes were given more free reign than they ever should have been by EON, and in one of the greatest clusterf@#$s in Bond's production history, Corbould and Mendes were allowed to throw untold millions down the drain-while SP was already over budget, mind you-to create a real explosion that everyone thought was just CGI anyway and that could have been done cheaply and effectively with miniatures, all just to get an award from Guinness. To see Corbould and Mendes smiling and hugging on video in reaction to the immense budget costs they continued to balloon to a pop in exchange for a meaningless accolade is like watching a rich man from the Hollywood hills walk up to a poor homeless boy in an African shantytown, take out hundred dollar bills from his wallet and burn them with a lighter in front of the kid, laughing as he does it.

I like SP, for all its faults, but to pretend that this film represents the best of the Craig era or what EON should be capable of, performance wise, would be a blind and ridiculous assertion to make. Beyond the frustrating production issues, the leaks, the bad oversight of EON's team (like those listed above), and a film that failed to introduce Blofeld and SPECTRE in a way that would have been truly spectacular is frustrating. As I've said before, out of all the Craig films I'd change the most about SP because I see such promise begging to be released, but it's all suffocated by the atrocious personal history that had to be manufactured between Bond and Blofeld and the somewhat sloppy retcon we had to endure to get here.

Bond 25 is the last chance to make this work, but a lot of improvements need to be made, and fast.

Excellent summary of events and, dare I say it, a very nuanced post.

If people like Logan, Newman and Mendes are getting drenched in piss Gustav then they only have themselves to blame.

Courbould I'm less inclined to give a golden shower to as he's just a technician who does what the director and producers tell him. The car and plane chases are competent enough from a technical standpoint and it's not Chris or Gary Powell's fault that they underwhelm. That said I doubt Chris needed much encouragement when they said they were going to do the biggest explosion in history. But hey, it's not his money.

Babs and MGW seem to dodge a lot of the piss that's flying around. It was them who let Logan go AWOL without any supervision, it was them who thought the only solution was to bring back P&W, it was them that gave over so much control to Mendes (thus saddling us with his glove puppet, Newman), it was them who signed off on stepbrothergate and spunking Liberia's GDP up in flames.

EON's control of SP amounts to almost dereliction of duty so if there's any fresh, warm piss to be dished out a fair amount of it should be heading in their direction.
    i never say never at this point....... after SF, everyone thought John Logan would be the answer to P&W - and look what we got..............

...... except for Zimmer - we'd end up with something probably marginally better than Newman IMO.

John Logan was a worthy addition to the screenwriting team of SF and SF. I'm astonished how people 'piss' over him. Yes, there are complaints about story logic. But in return we did get much better crafted dialogues and conversations. They were dramatic, and heavily strengthened and enriched the characters. Take for instance the conversations between Blofeld and Bond (SP) or the conversations between Severine and Bond (SF).

There's also a lot of 'piss' floating around with other crew members. From DP Hoyte van Hoytema to composer Thomas Newman, from the action sequences (Chris Corbould) to director Sam Mendes, and indeed the writers. At times it feels like the last two Bond films were one huge pile of garbage.

Obviously we are here to be critical, and we should question flaws and hope they get improved next time by actually coming up with solutions (Like: the story needs to be better logic-wise). But you have 'creative disagreement' and 'unnuanced slamming'.

I for one think there's been quite a lot of "nuanced" creative disagreements about SP here (Christ I'm getting sick of that word). All the main dissenters of the movie I can think of having relied on statements like, "this film sucks!" or "worst Bond ever, end of story." They've been pretty clear about what doesn't work, and for the most part, I'd say they are right.

I'm a bigger fan of the two Mendes films than most, @Gustav_Graves, but to pretend that they were free from flaw and/or not in serious need of improvement in certain areas, is absolutely ludicrous.

We've got Newman repeating his own work in a very droning, tired fashion, with a score that disappears in the film and is unforgettable outside the PTS, a final product that makes you wonder if he worked on the film's compositions for more than a month.

Logan was let off the chain to "do his thing" and we ended up with a series of scripts that put the film into a mess, at which point he left EON to decide how to pick up the pieces of what he'd created. Even worse, Logan seemed to think the best way to handle a Bond script was for him to jam pack it full of tributes and references to the past, which is the opposite of where the series should be heading.

Chris Corbould and Sam Mendes were given more free reign than they ever should have been by EON, and in one of the greatest clusterf@#$s in Bond's production history, Corbould and Mendes were allowed to throw untold millions down the drain-while SP was already over budget, mind you-to create a real explosion that everyone thought was just CGI anyway and that could have been done cheaply and effectively with miniatures, all just to get an award from Guinness. To see Corbould and Mendes smiling and hugging on video in reaction to the immense budget costs they continued to balloon to a pop in exchange for a meaningless accolade is like watching a rich man from the Hollywood hills walk up to a poor homeless boy in an African shantytown, take out hundred dollar bills from his wallet and burn them with a lighter in front of the kid, laughing as he does it.

I like SP, for all its faults, but to pretend that this film represents the best of the Craig era or what EON should be capable of, performance wise, would be a blind and ridiculous assertion to make. Beyond the frustrating production issues, the leaks, the bad oversight of EON's team (like those listed above), and a film that failed to introduce Blofeld and SPECTRE in a way that would have been truly spectacular is frustrating. As I've said before, out of all the Craig films I'd change the most about SP because I see such promise begging to be released, but it's all suffocated by the atrocious personal history that had to be manufactured between Bond and Blofeld and the somewhat sloppy retcon we had to endure to get here.

Bond 25 is the last chance to make this work, but a lot of improvements need to be made, and fast.

If people like Logan, Newman and Mendes are getting drenched in piss Gustav then they only have themselves to blame.

Courbould I'm less inclined to give a golden shower to as he's just a technician who does what the director and producers tell him. The car and plane chases are competent enough from a technical standpoint and it's not Chris or Gary Powell's fault that they underwhelm. That said I doubt Chris needed much encouragement when they said they were going to do the biggest explosion in history. But hey, it's not his money.

Babs and MGW seem to dodge a lot of the piss that's flying around. It was them who let Logan go AWOL without any supervision, it was them who thought the only solution was to bring back P&W, it was them that gave over so much control to Mendes (thus saddling us with his glove puppet, Newman), it was them who signed off on stepbrothergate and spunking Liberia's GDP up in flames.

EON's control of SP amounts to almost dereliction of duty so if there's any fresh, warm piss to be dished out a fair amount of it should be heading in their direction.

Man, I'm literally laughing out loud, this is so funny.
    Given that Daniel Craig was in Layer Cake, directed by Matthew Vaughn, who produced Ritchie's first two films, there is a modicum of connection between the two, which might possibly lead to a Craig/Mendes type situation.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

I would consider that MGW was going through health concerns during part of that. I'm not sure of the timetable though or if that was even a factor or by how much of a factor.

Honest question but how do we know that MGW and BB weren't involved in Logan's early writing? I mean Logan got the job because the producers liked his pitch.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117

If only it was a laughing matter.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I would consider that MGW was going through health concerns during part of that. I'm not sure of the timetable though or if that was even a factor or by how much of a factor.

Honest question but how do we know that MGW and BB weren't involved in Logan's early writing? I mean Logan got the job because the producers liked his pitch.

Fair point on MGW. If he was too ill to contribute then I'm happy to absolve him.

If EON were involved in Logan's writing then they just deserve more of the piss stream of criticism as why did it take them till the eleventh hour to reign him in?

I think not supervising properly is slightly better than being fully informed all the way through and only suddenly realising that it was all a pile of shit when it was too late.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Well said. I think some people act like the producers' shit doesn't stink just because they're the gatekeepers of Bond. Like you rightfully said, they're the ones that signed off on all the nonsense and essentially surrendered their authority to accommodate Mendes, Logan and Newman. The one that's the hardest to fathom is leaving Logan unchecked for so long before it was too late and everyone started panicking. EoN need to get it together and start taking their responsibilities a lot more seriously.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

One's pitch and story isn't necessarily the same as the screenplay. A lot can change.

Babs and Mike left Logan to his own devices because after SF's success they were feeling Logan way too much, to the point they actually fired P&W and when they did check in, shit hit the fan. Mendes wanted to drop out and the aforementioned writers were brought back in for a quick rush job. There's no way the producers would have been involved and have all this end up happening; and if they were involved it would be wise of them not to admit it as it would make them look more incompetent than having left Logan alone for so long.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Purvis and Wade were never fired. SF was meant to be their last film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116

Fair point on MGW. If he was too ill to contribute then I'm happy to absolve him.

If EON were involved in Logan's writing then they just deserve more of the piss stream of criticism as why did it take them till the eleventh hour to reign him in?

I think not supervising properly is slightly better than being fully informed all the way through and only suddenly realising that it was all a pile of shit when it was too late.

Either way the management is still questionable.

And I know that's easier to say in retrospect.

I would consider that MGW was going through health concerns during part of that. I'm not sure of the timetable though or i

You would have thought they would have learnt their lesson too. Paul Haggis' original idea of Bond running after Vesper's baby and Peter Morgan's original idea of Bond killing M. 2 examples on the 2 previous films where they had to reign writers in - why do they let them go the extent of creating ideas scripts their not happy with - have some sort of guideline - maybe a bit more sophisticated than the one they gave Roald Dahl too - 'he must have three women'

You would have thought they would have learnt their lesson too. Paul Haggis' original idea of Bond running after Vesper's baby and Peter Morgan's original idea of Bond killing M. 2 examples on the 2 previous films where they had to reign writers in - why do they let them go the extent of creating ideas scripts their not happy with - have some sort of guideline - maybe a bit more sophisticated than the one they gave Roald Dahl too - 'he must have three women'
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    [quote="TheWizardOfIce;65
    1574"]

You would have thought they would have learnt their lesson too. Paul Haggis' original idea of Bond running after Vesper's baby and Peter Morgan's original idea of Bond killing M. 2 examples on the 2 previous films where they had to reign writers in - why do they let them go the extent of creating ideas scripts their not happy with - have some sort of guideline - maybe a bit more sophisticated than the one they gave Roald Dahl too - 'he must have three women'[/quote]

is this a joke? quoting and re-quoting until the page explodes??
    a simple quote-less reply should do by now one could think...

You just put a WHOLE lot of words in my mouth really @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I NEVER said that SP is the best of Craig's films. On the contrary.

And if you read my last remark, then we actually agree:

I was merely referring to the tone in here, which sometimes is not just critical, it's plain harsh! Ask yourself if you suddenly were an EON-exec and you stood in front of Mendes or Newman. Man, if we were to spit out criticism the way we do in here sometimes to those people, we would damage the entire Bond production.

In your comment you also say that "You are the biggest fan of the last two Mendes films", while at the same time you are completely slamming Corbould's and Mendes' behaviour when they are truly happy about the result. Kind of a contradiction no from your side? Especially a contradiction in style.

And the word 'nuance'? Christ, we should ff-ing apply it more.....apart from my word use in this sentence for this very moment....;-). But on the whole? Nuance will result in more understanding than only radical slamming. That's my personal opinion.
    And the word 'nuance'? Christ, we should ff-ing apply it more

It all honesty mate I dont think you could use it more. Have you got shares in 'NuanceCorp Inc' or something?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll take "Nuance" over "Pastiche." That word gets thrown around like confetti and I hate it now. =))

It all honesty mate I dont think you could use it more. Have you got shares in 'NuanceCorp Inc' or something?

No, but obviously you got shares in that huge American family hotel chain that's frequently in the news these days :-).
    [quote="TheWizardOfIce;6
    51622"]

No, but obviously you got shares in that huge American family hotel chain that's frequently in the news these days :-).[/quote]

There is a hotel group called "Witty & Eloquent" ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We're all die-hard Bond fans on a Bond forum (I can't recall how many times I've mentioned this), so when we don't like a Bond installment and lead to "slamming" it, where's the surprise there? Why does it matter? I was radio silent when it came to not being crazy about SF - I let everyone love it and tried not to piss on anyone's parade, but magically disliking SP even more? Time to really voice my concern, though I suppose I don't as much as I was back at the turn of the year. I like what I like and I don't care for what I don't care for, and I'll voice that accordingly. It is a forum, after all; if they don't want die-hard fans to slam their movie, then don't incorporate stupid ideas. ("I bet the Bond nerds are gonna love Blofeld and Bond being tied together as brothers!")
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    We're all die-hard Bond fans on a Bond forum (I can't recall how many times I've mentioned this), so when we don't like a Bond installment and lead to "slamming" it, where's the surprise there? Why does it matter? I was radio silent when it came to not being crazy about SF - I let everyone love it and tried not to piss on anyone's parade, but magically disliking SP even more? Time to really voice my concern, though I suppose I don't as much as I was back at the turn of the year. I like what I like and I don't care for what I don't care for, and I'll voice that accordingly. It is a forum, after all; if they don't want die-hard fans to slam their movie, then don't incorporate stupid ideas. ("I bet the Bond nerds are gonna love Blofeld and Bond being tied together as brothers!")

We will always disagree on that one :-).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Gustav_Graves, I never put any words in your mouth. Not once in that post did I say that you thought SP was the best of Craig's films, not that that matters at all in any way, shape or form. You do have a tendency, however, to call out people making reasoned judgement about SP as if they are out of order for saying what are largely truths about a shoddy production in many respects. I wouldn't want to live in such a restrictive space where we're all just expected to love everything without question, as it's counter-intuitive to the core. Surely you understand this.

Furthermore, I never said I was the biggest fan of the last two Mendes movies, I said I am a bigger fan than most. See the delineation? Once again, you misquote and misunderstand what myself and others are arguing against here.

So because I like SP more than the majority on here, I'm out of order for criticizing the bad production behind it? How does that make any sense, and how is that a contradiction? Unless you think supporting an approach to film production where a director is given limitless control to do anything they want with what resources they want is a good one, when in this case it put EON in hot water in the script department and then in their cripplingly high budget, which Mendes and his team were allowed to balloon without proper oversight.

You claim we need more nuance, but that's exactly what I bring to every post, though I wouldn't use such a word to describe it. I never make declarative, one word shout posts like, "This is garbage!" or "worst film ever." I back everything up that I say and meticulously order and sequence my responses like any trained writer should. This isn't radical slamming, this is me calling out something that I find to be indescribably infuriating and damaging to a Bond production that deserved a better group of people behind the scenes.

But by all means, feel free to ignore it and label me as unsympathetic to EON's cause and the future of Bond on the big screen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Gustav_Graves, I can only hope then that you wholeheartedly love every single Bond installment from here on out, then, and don't have any negative haranguing regarding any of them, because I'll be the "I told you so" guy when that happens!

How dull would this place be if we had nothing but appreciation threads, with everyone equally loving and praising every aspect of all the movies?
    The biggest fan of Spectre is undoubtedly me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh we'll soon see about that. ;)
    @Gustav_Graves, I never put any words in your mouth. Not once in that post did I say that you thought SP was the best of Craig's films, not that that matters at all in any way, shape or form. You do have a tendency, however, to call out people making reasoned judgement about SP as if they are out of order for saying what are largely truths about a shoddy production in many respects. I wouldn't want to live in such a restrictive space where we're all just expected to love everything without question, as it's counter-intuitive to the core. Surely you understand this.

Furthermore, I never said I was the biggest fan of the last two Mendes movies, I said I am a bigger fan than most. See the delineation? Once again, you misquote and misunderstand what myself and others are arguing against here.

So because I like SP more than the majority on here, I'm out of order for criticizing the bad production behind it? How does that make any sense, and how is that a contradiction? Unless you think supporting an approach to film production where a director is given limitless control to do anything they want with what resources they want is a good one, when in this case it put EON in hot water in the script department and then in their cripplingly high budget, which Mendes and his team were allowed to balloon without proper oversight.

You claim we need more nuance, but that's exactly what I bring to every post, though I wouldn't use such a word to describe it. I never make declarative, one word shout posts like, "This is garbage!" or "worst film ever." I back everything up that I say and meticulously order and sequence my responses like any trained writer should. This isn't radical slamming, this is me calling out something that I find to be indescribably infuriating and damaging to a Bond production that deserved a better group of people behind the scenes.

But by all means, feel free to ignore it and label me as unsympathetic to EON's cause and the future of Bond on the big screen.

Okay, sorry for misquoting you then. That wasn't my intention. But I hope you also understand that the same applies for you then. Perhaps we imply a bit too much, and because of that a discussion gets easily erailed.

But I do think I have a point if I say that being criticial is different from slamming. I didn't mean to directly point at you. But some people do that in here. Perhaps not you. I just find that highly irritating. And even on a forum like this, I am entitled to fel irritated about that. Perhaps I am always in a minority with that, and that's sometimes causing problems.

You're a fine forummember by the way.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Gustav_Graves, I can only hope then that you wholeheartedly love every single Bond installment from here on out, then, and don't have any negative haranguing regarding any of them, because I'll be the "I told you so" guy when that happens!

How dull would this place be if we had nothing but appreciation threads, with everyone equally loving and praising every aspect of all the movies?

I hope @Gustav_Graves can be more nuanced on DAD and GE, because his comments on those films seems almost only negative. Which is what he doesn't to want read about SF and SP.

I hope @Gustav_Graves can be more nuanced on DAD and GE, because his comments on those films seems almost only negative. Which is what he doesn't to want read about SF and SP.

That's not true. By the way, my favourite Brosnan film is TWINE. I really like it. And I think the movie deserves more credit for being some sort of pre-Craig-vehicle.