No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Nicolas Schmidle has confirmed that the interview on Friday will not be live streamed.

Finally something (i.e. anything) confirmed!!

That's disappointing but not surprised will it be taped?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    It's not expected to be filmed either.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hope we at least get a transcript of the damn thing, as opposed to a highlight of some of the more pressing moments. It was presented/advertised as a big enough deal for it.

The guy asks for people's questions, then makes sure nobody will be able to tell what gets asked and answered in full.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I hope we at least get a transcript of the damn thing, as opposed to a highlight of some of the more pressing moments. It was presented/advertised as a big enough deal for it.

The guy asks for people's questions, then makes sure nobody will be able to tell what gets asked and answered in full.
    Yes, very bizarre indeed. However, Phil Nobile Jr, the author of the article posted a couple pages back, will be there. So we will at least receive live updates from him via Twitter (it's got some use after all).
  • I predict the title of the interview once released will be: "Daniel Craig would rather dunk his face in a vat of acid than think about doing another Bond film; final verdict on his continuing still out."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Yes, very bizarre indeed. However, Phil Nobile Jr, the author of the article posted a couple pages back, will be there. So we will at least receive live updates from him via Twitter (it's got some use after all).

Any Bond related stuff will no doubt hit the web fastest, but for people who are interested in Dan's work outside that role, I don't know how much content they'll actually be receiving from this "interview" beyond a few tweets giving paraphrased statements about what Dan said to a few questions. I hope I'm wrong, but, well...
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    It's not expected to be filmed either.
    ok
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm thinking he'll be talking about Logan Lucky that he's currently shooting (is it wrapped? Dunno about that), or Othello the stage play he'll soon be part of, or what he's planning to do with Purity as its leading star. That's all.

I'm expecting nothing from the Bond angle, but the answer "I'm still undecided about it."
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm thinking he'll be talking about Logan Lucky that he's currently shooting (is it wrapped? Dunno about that), or Othello the stage play he'll soon be part of, or what he's planning to do with Purity as its leading star. That's all.

I'm expecting nothing from the Bond angle, but the answer "I'm still undecided about it."

Yea, I agree with you.

I fear you may be right. By the way, Logan Lucky has wrapped up its 1 month shoot.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As I said, my guts tells me we won't know a thing about "Bond 25" till sometime mid next year.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,107
    Craig needs to do the next six bond films. Honest to god. I love him so.
    I think people will be surprised, but not in a negative way, by what comes of this. We won't know the direction of the series in a massive way, or get any big info on Bond 25, as it can't be very far along, or enough along to warrant sharing anything. Of course not.

But what we could find out is whether or not Dan is all in for another ride, which is a big, big question and a response that I don't think asks that much at all. The question is bound to come up, and I think Dan will have an answer beyond just deflection or indecision, as some here think. He's had his time to be coy about it, but with a year out since SP, I'd say he's prepared to say things without veneers.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,661
    ClarkDevlin said:

Regarding the filming of Purity:
    Todd Field will direct all 20 hours of the limited series. Purity will begin production in 2017 and will air in two installments over the course of two years.

Let's say each episode takes a week to film? I don't know if that is a realistic length of time but let's assume it's a week to film each episode. That's 20 weeks - five months of shooting plus any breaks for holidays or reshoots/last minute changes to the scripts. Let's go with six months maximum. Craig could be finished by June/July/ August depending on the start month. If he doesn't sign up to any other stuff after that he'll be available to do Bond 25 in winter 2017. He could have enough time to chill out after filming Purity and be refreshed for Bond 25. I think it's doable so it will be interesting to see if Craig offers any hint he may consider returning to Bond.

On the other hand, if Purity is pushed back until summer then it's very unlikely Craig would want to go straight into filming Bond 25. He wouldn't have any break from filming Purity. I wonder if Craig insisted the start date for Purity is early 2017 just to give him options.

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Craig needs to do the next six bond films. Honest to god. I love him so.

Yes!

If we dont hear anything by Jan 2017 then 2018 isnt happening.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    How can you be so sure?
    Like Nolan, his standards doesn't seem to fit Eon's demands.

i believe if EON could've had Nolan in 2012 for the 50th Anniversary, they would have... they have been open about having discussions with Chris on a few occasions - and also his desire to do a Bond movie.. it's just been scheduling that has gotten in the way from any real serious discussions taking place.. (for most of 2010 - 2014 he was wrapped up with TDKR and Interstellar)..

and who knows, a play for Nolan could still be in the cards, if EON/MGM decide to go with WB - that makes it that much easier, since Nolan has worked with them before... and i could be wrong, but after Dunkirk in 2017 (which should wrap production sometime early to mid next year) his schedule - that we know of - is wide open for 2018 and 2019.... you never know.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,119
    But, like Nolan, also Ritchie is a heavy Warner Brothers protégé. And, after the famed director Sam Meniet, I do think EON wants to go ahead with a slightly lesser acclaimed director. They are also a bit easier to 'mold into shape'. I do think that's what Bond needs atm.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    what Bond needs at the moment is good writing - something that has bogged down 2 out of Dan's 4 films.... the only directing misstep out of the last 4 films was the Greengrass Bourne style of action filming/editing in QOS - everything else has been fine IMO.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2016 Posts: 16,331
    Nolan's writing wouldn't be good for Bond. Not to mention Zimmer wouldn't be able to deliver a good Bond score.
    i never say never at this point....... after SF, everyone thought John Logan would be the answer to P&W - and look what we got..............

...... except for Zimmer - we'd end up with something probably marginally better than Newman IMO.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am not ready yet for a new actor in the role - if Craig is indeed leaving then I would prefer 2019 for the next movie so there's more time to settle, create a really, really good script which suits the actor like CR suited Craig.

I would prefer a last one starring Craig with Felix Leiter coming back again. Some mission where both of them team up (like DN or TB). As mentioned before, I would love a mix of the books OHMSS and Moonraker - with a limited number of but much explored locations.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i never say never at this point....... after SF, everyone thought John Logan would be the answer to P&W - and look what we got..............

...... except for Zimmer - we'd end up with something probably marginally better than Newman IMO.

John Logan was a worthy addition to the screenwriting team of SF and SF. I'm astonished how people 'piss' over him. Yes, there are complaints about story logic. But in return we did get much better crafted dialogues and conversations. They were dramatic, and heavily strengthened and enriched the characters. Take for instance the conversations between Blofeld and Bond (SP) or the conversations between Severine and Bond (SF).

There's also a lot of 'piss' floating around with other crew members. From DP Hoyte van Hoytema to composer Thomas Newman, from the action sequences (Chris Corbould) to director Sam Mendes, and indeed the writers. At times it feels like the last two Bond films were one huge pile of garbage.

Obviously we are here to be critical, and we should question flaws and hope they get improved next time by actually coming up with solutions (Like: the story needs to be better logic-wise). But you have 'creative disagreement' and 'unnuanced slamming'.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I remember back when Mendes backed out of B24 rumors had Guy Ritchie in talks or as the frontrunner. I thought that was horrible and crossed fingers for Mendes to return.

Now I'm a bit more open to see what we get and dead set against Mendes ever back at the helm. I'm not really a fan of Ritchie's style but seems like the level of target EoN would aim for. Mendes was a higher target albeit that faltered in the end recruited by Craig not Eon at first if I understand correctly

I'd rather Forster return than endure Ritchie.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Tick tock...tick tock.
    Global James Bond day, if we do get something today, what do we think it'll be?

Book release? Bond 25 news? Noting at all?

Bond 25 to be directed by Michael Bay, starring Shia Labeouf perhaps.
    Benny wrote: »
    Tick tock...tick tock.
    Global James Bond day, if we do get something today, what do we think it'll be?

Book release? Bond 25 news? Noting at all?

Bond 25 to be directed by Michael Bay, starring Shia Labeouf perhaps.

Well my Windows 10 has been displaying James Bond Island - I have a feeling that there won't be more than that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Daniel Craig in New York, 10.07. Hmmm, sounds interesting.
    that is definitely strangle I smell something fishy that date must have been picked on purpose
    strange not strangle sorry stupid device

#-o

Dr Strange doesn t strangle a sorry, stupid device?

You lost me there.Are you Hulk?
    HASEROT wrote: »

John Logan was a worthy addition to the screenwriting team of SF and SF. I'm astonished how people 'piss' over him. Yes, there are complaints about story logic. But in return we did get much better crafted dialogues and conversations. They were dramatic, and heavily strengthened and enriched the characters. Take for instance the conversations between Blofeld and Bond (SP) or the conversations between Severine and Bond (SF).

There's also a lot of 'piss' floating around with other crew members. From DP Hoyte van Hoytema to composer Thomas Newman, from the action sequences (Chris Corbould) to director Sam Mendes, and indeed the writers. At times it feels like the last two Bond films were one huge pile of garbage.

Obviously we are here to be critical, and we should question flaws and hope they get improved next time by actually coming up with solutions (Like: the story needs to be better logic-wise). But you have 'creative disagreement' and 'unnuanced slamming'.

I for one think there's been quite a lot of "nuanced" creative disagreements about SP here (Christ I'm getting sick of that word). All the main dissenters of the movie I can think of having relied on statements like, "this film sucks!" or "worst Bond ever, end of story." They've been pretty clear about what doesn't work, and for the most part, I'd say they are right.

I'm a bigger fan of the two Mendes films than most, @Gustav_Graves, but to pretend that they were free from flaw and/or not in serious need of improvement in certain areas, is absolutely ludicrous.

We've got Newman repeating his own work in a very droning, tired fashion, with a score that disappears in the film and is unforgettable outside the PTS, a final product that makes you wonder if he worked on the film's compositions for more than a month.

Logan was let off the chain to "do his thing" and we ended up with a series of scripts that put the film into a mess, at which point he left EON to decide how to pick up the pieces of what he'd created. Even worse, Logan seemed to think the best way to handle a Bond script was for him to jam pack it full of tributes and references to the past, which is the opposite of where the series should be heading.

Chris Corbould and Sam Mendes were given more free reign than they ever should have been by EON, and in one of the greatest clusterf@#$s in Bond's production history, Corbould and Mendes were allowed to throw untold millions down the drain-while SP was already over budget, mind you-to create a real explosion that everyone thought was just CGI anyway and that could have been done cheaply and effectively with miniatures, all just to get an award from Guinness. To see Corbould and Mendes smiling and hugging on video in reaction to the immense budget costs they continued to balloon to a pop in exchange for a meaningless accolade is like watching a rich man from the Hollywood hills walk up to a poor homeless boy in an African shantytown, take out hundred dollar bills from his wallet and burn them with a lighter in front of the kid, laughing as he does it.

I like SP, for all its faults, but to pretend that this film represents the best of the Craig era or what EON should be capable of, performance wise, would be a blind and ridiculous assertion to make. Beyond the frustrating production issues, the leaks, the bad oversight of EON's team (like those listed above), and a film that failed to introduce Blofeld and SPECTRE in a way that would have been truly spectacular is frustrating. As I've said before, out of all the Craig films I'd change the most about SP because I see such promise begging to be released, but it's all suffocated by the atrocious personal history that had to be manufactured between Bond and Blofeld and the somewhat sloppy retcon we had to endure to get here.

Bond 25 is the last chance to make this work, but a lot of improvements need to be made, and fast.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    echo wrote: »
    I remember back when Mendes backed out of B24 rumors had Guy Ritchie in talks or as the frontrunner. I thought that was horrible and crossed fingers for Mendes to return.

Now I'm a bit more open to see what we get and dead set against Mendes ever back at the helm. I'm not really a fan of Ritchie's style but seems like the level of target EoN would aim for. Mendes was a higher target albeit that faltered in the end recruited by Craig not Eon at first if I understand correctly

I would be more open to Forster depending on whom the writers would be.

Wasn't really a fan of WWZ though.

Good directors develop and learn over time so who knows.
    echo wrote: »

I would be more open to Forster depending on whom the writers would be.

Wasn't really a fan of WWZ though.

Good directors develop and learn over time so who knows.

To be fair I would take Martin Campbell, but really outside of GE, CR and the original Edge of Darkness he's not really done anything that good. Bond is unique. Sam Mendes is a good director - yet he delivered one good Bond film and one that to me is a middle of the pack Bond.